Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
22 cases in 47 years ( approx) isn't too many considering the vast amount of land area and the millions of people that use NP trail system every year. I believe this missing case is the unfortunate makings of a perfect storm. It was over 24 hours before anyone realized they were missing, terrible heat conditions that differ from years past and perhaps inexperienced hikers.
People, PLEASE have a check in person , at very least use an online tracking app , many you can Access trail database without an internet connection. Be prepared. In this day and age of technology one can dramatically lower their risks of being lost.
I so hope they are found alive huddled in a cove somewhere. :(

I agree, I just meant that the fact this couple haven't been found doesn't mean something else might've happened, ie foul play.

I remember in particular the search for Gerry Largay on the Appalachian Trail, people concluding she must've been offed by her husband because she wasn't found after such a long, massive search. But her remains were found 2 years later at a campsite she'd survived in for over a month, less than a mile from the trail. Without intending to, she'd hidden herself away where no one would look. The most important survival equipment we carry is our mind, it can malfunction because of heat/cold, panic, inexperience, confusion.

Are they letting non search and rescue people back in the park yet? At this point, I'm guessing they will be found by a non-searcher. Someone else hiking will likely stumble upon their remains. JMO. :(

I agree, that is quite likely.

From yesterday's article:

Joshua Tree draws from around the world. Thursday a steady stream of visitors, many from Europe, inspected the missing notice posted at the entrance of the visitor center, before proceeding into the park to hike.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/cal...ng-Hikers-Frustrates-Searchers-438432343.html

Despite the heat people continue to go on hikes. I hope they are careful and well equipped!

After reading all the people who have disappeared in our National Parks, there is a good chance, they will never be found and their families will never get the answers they deserve. That just breaks my heart thinking about it. I pray one way or another, they are found and brought home.

After reading all the people who have disappeared in our National Parks, there is a good chance, they will never be found and their families will never get the answers they deserve. That just breaks my heart thinking about it. I pray one way or another, they are found and brought home.

I have faith they will find them. Unfortunately will be for closure for the families. Agree, heartbreaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a confusing case because I wonder how far they realistically could've gotten without succumbing to the elements. As mang have said, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to bunker down and try to create signals for help.

I wonder... is it possible that they met foul play and are not in the park at all? It just seems like they couldn't have gotten too much further than the search parties have searched due to the heat. I pray that they're alive and absolute beastly survivalists deep in the park. But if they have unfortunately past, I feel like they would've been found by now. That's why I'm wondering if someone abducted or harmed them at the parks entrance.

Anyone with knowledge of the entry points of the park might be able to answer this. Was the car found in a populated spot where most people enter the park? Are there a lot of people there everyday? It's possible they could've met with foul play if the park entrance is not incredibly busy and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time when they got there.

It mentions tracks walking in circles. Is that tracks over the course of a couple miles? Were they walking in circles around a large area of the hiking trail? Or were they literally walking in circles within say a half mile or so?

As awesome as hiking can be; hearing about stuff like this is a reason I've never been too fond of it. Nature is unpredictable. Oh and I hate bugs. Lol

For those of you asking if they could have met foul play i can say i think it is fairly possible. I will provide the link of a couple that went missing May 10th nearby & have not been found since. The vehicle that belonged to Audrey was found on the side of the freeway in Beaumont. Her & her bf's sent were tracked 20-50 ft, there were no signs of foul play when the vehicle was found & Audrey's phone last pinged near Indio, Coachella the article does not specify the location. They weren't out hiking but when i google mapped Joshua tree to see how big the park was, what stuck out to me was how close Coachella, & the I-10 where Audrey's car was found.

http://www.kmir.com/story/35785107/you-ask-we-investigate-mothers-of-missing-couple-demand-answers

It bothers me that in the photo of their car, the hood is up...

:thinking:

Checking in - so they still have not been found? Ugh. Praying for both them and the search teams.

It bothers me that in the photo of their car, the hood is up...

:thinking:

IMO, that is a red herring. LE/SAR could have opened the hood for any number of legit reasons which have nothing to do with the disappearance.

In another case (with a happy result) a while back, some of us spent WEEKS, if not months, analyzing the state of a car (smashed windshield): all our efforts were entirely in vain, & it was all totally irrelevant ;). Also, there was a really simple explanation eventually.

For those of you asking if they could have met foul play i can say i think it is fairly possible. I will provide the link of a couple that went missing May 10th nearby & have not been found since. The vehicle that belonged to Audrey was found on the side of the freeway in Beaumont. Her & her bf's sent were tracked 20-50 ft, there were no signs of foul play when the vehicle was found & Audrey's phone last pinged near Indio, Coachella the article does not specify the location. They weren't out hiking but when i google mapped Joshua tree to see how big the park was, what stuck out to me was how close Coachella, & the I-10 where Audrey's car was found

I agree, that case seems very suspicious. I think the differences are: that is a local couple, so there may have been someone local who wanted to harm them; they weren't hiking or hikers, so no reason for them to be out there; they appear to have abandoned the car in a very inappropriate place; there's a certain mystery or inconsistency in their behaviour (where he really was that evening and what they were doing, the text sent from her phone).

For this missing couple, everything about their previous behaviour is consistent with them going out hiking.

The one potentially similiar scenario between them, as I see it, is if one person in both couples intended for them to get lost and never be found. I really don't know how likely that might be in either case.

I doubt foul play is involved. Their tracks were determined to be going in a circular direction, then they were lost. Out in the middle of the desert. They got lost in the desert, in 105*+ heat, with flash floods in between. It's been 10 days.

Are they still searching?

IMO, that is a red herring. LE/SAR could have opened the hood for any number of legit reasons which have nothing to do with the disappearance.

In another case (with a happy result) a while back, some of us spent WEEKS, if not months, analyzing the state of a car (smashed windshield): all our efforts were entirely in vain, & it was all totally irrelevant ;). Also, there was a really simple explanation eventually.
Hannah Garner. Love those happy endings!!![emoji4]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Are they still searching?

I was just checking for updates but could find nothing. They said they are switching to recovery mode a couple of days back, so I assume they are still out there but not in large numbers anymore? jmo

For those of you asking if they could have met foul play i can say i think it is fairly possible. I will provide the link of a couple that went missing May 10th nearby & have not been found since. The vehicle that belonged to Audrey was found on the side of the freeway in Beaumont. Her & her bf's sent were tracked 20-50 ft, there were no signs of foul play when the vehicle was found & Audrey's phone last pinged near Indio, Coachella the article does not specify the location. They weren't out hiking but when i google mapped Joshua tree to see how big the park was, what stuck out to me was how close Coachella, & the I-10 where Audrey's car was found.

http://www.kmir.com/story/35785107/you-ask-we-investigate-mothers-of-missing-couple-demand-answers

These aren't really too close though. A few hours from each other I believe.

Maybe this has been discussed... do they search with drones? Seems like a perfect technology for desert searches.

I was just checking for updates but could find nothing. They said they are switching to recovery mode a couple of days back, so I assume they are still out there but not in large numbers anymore? jmo

According to Joshua Tree Search and Rescue's Facebook page, they were back out searching this morning. They posted that 8 hours ago with no updates since.

https://www.facebook.com/josarorg/posts/1506156499492207

I agree, that is quite likely.

From yesterday's article:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/cal...ng-Hikers-Frustrates-Searchers-438432343.html

Despite the heat people continue to go on hikes. I hope they are careful and well equipped!

I am so heat-intolerant. I don't know how people do it, going hiking, playing sports, etc., in extreme heat! And I feel so bad for people who have to work outside in the heat.

I hate thinking of these two out suffering in the elements.

I'm just going to throw this out there to cover all bases. Has anyone looked into the past of these hikers? They were ex's ... is it odd they were sharing a room and on a trip together? Did she have a new boyfriend?
I do believe people trail off and get lost. Thing is with this one after I studied it was they both were trained or experienced in hiking. Nothing left behind? It seems odd.

Would not allow me to edit. Drug use? Is it possible they could have taken something and just wandered? Which in this case they could be close to Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members