Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(snip)

Edit to add...and IMO the extra shot was probably just a shot to scare her (likely to see her reaction because some sick individuals find joy in that kind of thing). Had it really have been a warning shot I think he would have taken at least two more.

I understand that this alone is unlikely to sway your opinion, but I wanted to point it out. It would seem that two additional shots may have been taken at some point, as there was the separate pair of spent casings located nearby.

Then on Oct. 15, searchers looked at an area that had not been thoroughly investigated. At the base of a dried waterfall they found two water bottles, along with a pair of spent .40-caliber cartridge casings, according to the investigative report.

https://www.pe.com/2018/03/06/autopsy-offers-few-clues-in-murder-suicide-of-couple-in-joshua-tree/

Just a side note, I hadn't initially realized that the gun was out of ammunition. I had misread and thought that there were still three live rounds in the gun, rather than three empty chambers. I'm sure one could view that in different ways, but I think that weighs on the side of desperation to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that this alone is unlikely to sway your opinion, but I wanted to point it out. It would seem that two additional shots may have been taken at some point, as there was the separate pair of spent casings located nearby.

https://www.pe.com/2018/03/06/autopsy-offers-few-clues-in-murder-suicide-of-couple-in-joshua-tree/

Just a side note, I hadn't initially realized that the gun was out of ammunition. I had misread and thought that there were still three live rounds in the gun, rather than three empty chambers. I'm sure one could view that in different ways, but I think that weighs on the side of desperation to me.

I must've read that wrong too. I did think that there were three left in the chamber. You are correct though... It doesn't sway my opinion but it's nicer to have a clearer picture. Honestly if drugs/any signs of dehydration showed in the autopsy (which clearly would've per my research if a factor), I'd give JO the benefit of the doubt. I just can't. I'm in the minority though so maybe I am wrong.

I still think he/she would've at least drafted a goodbye on their phones to their parents if this was innocent. Never saw evidence of this either. I think LE respected his Dad so "went with" the story despite it still being officially listed as a murder-suicide.

I must've read that wrong too. I did think that there were three left in the chamber. You are correct though... It doesn't sway my opinion but it's nicer to have a clearer picture. Honestly if drugs/any signs of dehydration showed in the autopsy (which clearly would've per my research if a factor), I'd give JO the benefit of the doubt. I just can't. I'm in the minority though so maybe I am wrong.

I still think he/she would've at least drafted a goodbye on their phones to their parents if this was innocent. Never saw evidence of this either. I think LE respected his Dad so "went with" the story despite it still being officially listed as a murder-suicide.

How could they have drafted a goodbye on their phones when their phones were “ dead”?

How could they have drafted a goodbye on their phones when their phones were “ dead”?

Or carved it on a tree?

Btw I tried to find the actual autopsy the other week and was unsuccessful. If anyone finds where to order it...please let me know and I'll pay the fee (and post results here).

Do you have any research you can share regarding detection of dehydration and/or psilocybin toxicology testing in decomposed remains? I spent some time last night looking for sources on postmortem toxicology for psilocybin use and couldn't find anything helpful. I'm specifically wondering how recently the drug would have to have been taken before death. I don't know whether we're dealing with hours or days prior to death, and I don't know whether it's a drug that undergoes any type of decomposition after death. The low levels of marijuana got me wondering whether other drugs, such as the mushrooms found in the backpack, could have been involved, but the couple survived long enough for the metabolites to clear their systems.

I'm glad you posted this, thanks. I read that Joseph's ping ended up triangulating to an area around Smith Water Canyon and that's on the opposite of Park Blvd. In 2010, Bill Ewasko went missing and his cell phone ping gave the location of the Smith Water Canyon area too. I know everyone worked really hard to find the couple, but I feel like with this knowledge and the way the cell phone towers ping via radius, they could have followed the radius and narrowed the search to the vicinity of Maze Loop and the North Trail and maybe could have found them within a 1000 ft buffer or so of the radius instead of used resources to search Smith Water Canyon. But we don't publicly know the radius of where the Joseph's cell phone ping was 9mi-10 mi? maybe we won't be able to find out. For Bill Ewasko, it was pinged within the 10.5 to 10.6 mile radius of the Verizon tower in 2010. I've attached a map that includes the parking lot, where they knew the JO and RN's tracks were, the trails, and Ewasko's 2010 cell ping radius. Guess I hope they consider it next time, though I hope there will never be a next time.

OT, there have been some recent articles about Bill Ewasko who is STILL missing. I started a thread for Bill here: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Ewasko-66-Joshua-Tree-National-Park-June-2010

This is exactly why you shouldn't hike alone in the desert, especially if you're not familiar with the terrain. She was most likely located because she didn't have the option to wander as Joseph and Rachel did.
Lots of people like to hike by themselves, to be alone. There are lots of solutions for people to be safe when hiking alone. Such as personal locator beacons, satellite messenger devices, or just telling someone where you will be hiking and when you should be back. There is really nothing wrong with hiking alone.

Lots of people like to hike by themselves, to be alone. There are lots of solutions for people to be safe when hiking alone. Such as personal locator beacons, satellite messenger devices, or just telling someone where you will be hiking and when you should be back. There is really nothing wrong with hiking alone.

Oh I get it, I've done it myself plenty of times. I'm guessing she probably is an avid/experienced hiker as she was attempting a 6 hour hike. She knew there was a 3 mile marker but couldn't locate it. However, this is the desert, a very unique desert. It's just not smart to do if you've never been there. Safety in numbers. Granted Joseph and Rachel were not alone, but the odds of survival and not getting lost greatly increase if you've got a buddy.

Oh I get it, I've done it myself plenty of times. I'm guessing she probably is an avid/experienced hiker as she was attempting a 6 hour hike. She knew there was a 3 mile marker but couldn't locate it. However, this is the desert, a very unique desert. It's just not smart to do if you've never been there. Safety in numbers. Granted Joseph and Rachel were not alone, but the odds of survival and not getting lost greatly increase if you've got a buddy.

RBBM

Couldn't agree more. The desert out here can be very unforgiving. Tons of hot sand, rocks, no water, temps well over 100 degrees in July, no trees to shelter you. I don't hike, but if I did, and I went to Joshua Tree to do so, I'd take at least one hiker with me who had experience hiking in the desert. Lots and lots of experience!

I've driven to Vegas from here, and believe me, you really don't want to break down driving from here to there if going in the summer. Few towns in between, just baking heat. We had car problems one year, and were fortunate to get to a town with a mechanic.

RBBM

Couldn't agree more. The desert out here can be very unforgiving. Tons of hot sand, rocks, no water, temps well over 100 degrees in July, no trees to shelter you. I don't hike, but if I did, and I went to Joshua Tree to do so, I'd take at least one hiker with me who had experience hiking in the desert. Lots and lots of experience!

I've driven to Vegas from here, and believe me, you really don't want to break down driving from here to there if going in the summer. Few towns in between, just baking heat. We had car problems one year, and were fortunate to get to a town with a mechanic.

I once bottomed out and broke an axle 20 miles outside of Baker. I think it was June. 113 degrees. We had enough provisions because we were camping. Since then I discovered how important it was to have a second vehicle!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back