Identified! CA - Redondo Beach, BlkFem UP3342, 20-40, at construction site, Aug'01 - Catherine Parker-Johnson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some interesting facts from the article:
  • Catherine was born on November 9, 1957 in Memphis, Tennessee. Her mother died when she was young and Catherine was put in foster care because her father refused to care for her.
  • Catherine married Van Johnson when she was 16 and he was 18. He's still alive and is quoted in the article. Together, they had two children.
  • After a while, Catherine began to grow restless and began using drugs which led to arguments with her husband. She also began leading a "camp" lifestyle. Eventually, Catherine and her children moved into her mother-in-law's house.
  • One night, Van Johnson received a call from someone who says he bought a Cadillac and was planning to take Catherine to California. She left Memphis in 1977.
  • For four years (1977-1981) Catherine maintained contact with her family. She called frequently to ask about her children and wrote letters particularly to her daughter.
  • In 1981, Catherine returned to Memphis. She stayed for only 2 weeks before vanishing once again.
  • During her time in California, Catherine was "marginalized as far as society goes" and had encounters with law enforcement.
  • Investigators believe Catherine was living in Inglewood at the time of her death, though her last contact was in Lennox, California.

''Jun 26, 2023
The Redondo Beach Police Department on Monday asked for the public's help in finding the killer of a woman whose body was found more than 20 years ago at a Redondo Beach construction site. Lauren Lyster reports for the KTLA 5 Morning News on June 26, 2023.''

I wonder whatever happened to her skull. Whoever killed her clearly went to great lengths to make sure she was never identified or perhaps even found.
From the Daily Breeze article posted by Carl upthread, I read it as a possibility that the body of Catherine had been buried or kept somewhere else before being moved to the Redondo Beach address:
In August 2001, plumbers were digging in the back of a house on Wollacott Street, in Redondo Beach, when they discovered a plastic bag a few feet above a sewage pipe.

The bag was filled with bones.

The Los Angeles County coroner’s office excavated the backyard and found a “nearly complete skeleton,” Skipper said.

But there was no skull.

The DB article was very good, btw. I wish more Does could get the same quality or better coverage in media.

FYI:
RBPD detective John Skipper did a radio/podcast interview on the "Unsolved with Steve Gregory" show to discuss the Redondo Beach Jane Doe - Catherine Parker Johnson case.

It will be aired live on KFI Radio in Los Angeles tonight at 7:00PM Pacific Time., and later available on podcast.

FYI:
RBPD detective John Skipper did a radio/podcast interview on the "Unsolved with Steve Gregory" show to discuss the Redondo Beach Jane Doe - Catherine Parker Johnson case.

It will be aired live on KFI Radio in Los Angeles tonight at 7:00PM Pacific Time., and later available on podcast.

The podcast is now on iheart.

A few key takeaways from the radio interview:

* Catherine Parker Johnson left Memphis, Tennessee in about 1977 and traveled to California.
* Catherine's daughter told investigators that Catherine was a drug-addict, and was living a difficult and "marginalized" lifestyle.
* She briefly returned to Memphis in May of 1981 to visit her two children, and then returned to California.
* The daughter received one letter from her after that, sent from Inglewood California (about five miles from where the bones were found).
* The law enforcement databases indicated numerous misdemeanor arrests, primarily drug-related in the Inglewood/Lennox area.
* The last law enforcement contact with her occurred in August of 1981.
* Despite numerous arrests prior to August 1981, no record of her existence after that could be found.
* She was born in 1957, and the last contact was when she was 23 years old (Det.Skipper mistakenly said 24).
* Investigators have been unable to locate many of the police reports pertaining to her prior arrests. They are still in the process of trying to get various agencies to look up the actual documents, mugshots, etc. in connection to those arrests.
* The RBPD cold-case team is seeking information about any persons who traveled with her to California, or persons with whom she associated while she was living in California. The available records pertaining to her LE contacts are completely lacking as to names of her associates.
* Investigators are currently focused on two separate theories about who the suspect could be. He did not elaborate as to the theories, other than to say one theory is focused on her being specifically targeted, and the other that her murder was more of a random nature as a result of her lifestyle.

Det. Skipper made one statement about the DNA that needs clarification. He said:

"[the DDP Volunteers] would give us a list of potential relatives of the Jane Doe all over the United States. In the course of the investigation, we contacted people in 7 states. We contacted over 60 people. A lot of people don't want you to get their DNA. Most people don't want you to get their DNA. ... More relatives than not, refused to give us DNA - politely refused. The interesting thing is the police do not get the DNA. We help locate the people and ask them to provide it. If they provide it, they either give a sample to put into Ancestry, or if they are already in Ancestry - the database, they allow the DNA Doe Project. So the DNA Doe Project keeps all the DNA. The police department only identifies the people and asks them to give it. So we never get the DNA, so we couldn't look up ..."

It is more accurate to say that the persons are asked to take an ancestry test, and then transfer the results to GEDMatch. If they already have taken an ancestry test, they are asked to upload the results to GEDMatch. The DNA Doe project never takes possession of the DNA, or keeps it. Once the kit is transferred to GEDMatch, we then obtain the GEDMatch kit number so that we can compare it to the Doe profile and other GEDMatch profiles. The person providing the sample always has the option of removing the profile from Ancestry and/or from GEDMatch, and nobody would have access to it after that.

Catherine isn't the only member of her close family who was the victim of a homicide. Her sister Kristina Parker (33), Kristina's daughters, Mary Ann (15), and Cora, (13), Mary Ann`s son Jontae (3), and Kristina's unborn child were murdered on August 16, 1982 by James Ealy (Mary Ann's 17 year old boyfriend) in their westside Chicago apartment.

The murders were motivated by his anger at being teased by Kristina and Cora about an eye infection that he had at the time.

Ealy was convicted of the murders, but the conviction was overturned because the police did not follow proper protocols in their collection of evidence against Ealy. Ealy was released from prison in 1986.

In 2006, Ealy was arrested again and convicted for the murder of Burger King manager Mary Hutchinson, and is now in prison for that murder.

1689815923866.png
1689816079004.png

Catherine isn't the only member of her close family who was the victim of a homicide. Her sister Kristina Parker (33), Kristina's daughters, Mary Ann (15), and Cora, (13), Mary Ann`s son Jontae (3), and Kristina's unborn child were murdered on August 16, 1982 by James Ealy (Mary Ann's 17 year old boyfriend) in their westside Chicago apartment.

The murders were motivated by his anger at being teased by Kristina and Cora about an eye infection that he had at the time.

Ealy was convicted of the murders, but the conviction was overturned because the police did not follow proper protocols in their collection of evidence against Ealy. Ealy was released from prison in 1986.

In 2006, Ealy was arrested again and convicted for the murder of Burger King manager Mary Hutchinson, and is now in prison for that murder.
Completely horrific story, and he went on the kill a women in 1982.
Also had to double check but poor Mary Ann was one month short of 13 when she had her child, surely that was a crime in itself of the father.

Completely horrific story, and he went on the kill a women in 1982.
Also had to double check but poor Mary Ann was one month short of 13 when she had her child, surely that was a crime in itself of the father.
AND he raped a woman around the same time period AND he molested a 3 year old boy as he killed him. completely evil inhuman being.

A friend of mine, who is on the board of directors of the Hermosa Beach historical museum, asked me to take part in a webinar presentation that they were doing. Here is a YouTube video of that presentation.

The first part of my presentation was basically about DNA Doe Project - how they got started and how I became involved as a DDP volunteer.

The later portion covers the RBJD (Catherine Parker Johnson) case, and how we arrived at her identity.

There is about 3 minutes of chat that precedes my presentation. I begin talking at 3:15. My discussion of RBJD Catherine Parker Johnson begins at 16:40.

A few glitches where my powerpoint slides weren't in sinc with my talk, and a couple of instances where I misspoke on a few words, but IMO it went pretty well, overall.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back