CA CA - Richard Strehle, 26, South Lake Tahoe, 5 July 1973

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Richard Edward Strehle

• cache.php
Stehle, circa 1973

• Missing Since 07/05/1973
  • Missing From South Lake Tahoe, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 11/17/1946 (71)
  • Age 26 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'2, 170 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair.

Details of Disappearance

Strehle was last seen by his landlady's husband on the evening of July 5, 1973, near his studio apartment in the 1200 block of Judith Lane in South Lake Tahoe, California. He has never been heard from again. He left behind all his belongings and his three vehicles.

Strehle had purchased a "fixer-upper" home on Zuni Lane shortly before he went missing. He was employed as a realtor with Maloney Realty in 1973, and is described as a quiet, reliable, responsible employee. He was mildly depressed at the time of his disappearance because his girlfriend had moved to Colorado. His case remains unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/richard-edward-strehle

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20178/

Richard Edward Strehle, a 26 year old realtor with Maloney Realty, disappeared on July 5th, 1973. He was described, by a coworker, as quiet and dependable and was unlikely to be irresponsible. He was last seen on the evening of July 5th, 1973 near his room (studio apartment) which was located at 1211 Julie Lane, by the husband of his landlady. The same coworker stated that Strehle had been mildly depressed due to his girlfriend leaving and moving back to Colorado.

Strehle left behind all of his belongings, three motor vehicles, his studio apartment and a recently acquired "fixer upper" home on Zuni Lane.

https://www.cityofslt.us/index.aspx?nid=543

Suicide, but no body seems unusual, but there's plenty of empty landscape around South Tahoe, I guess. Do we know if he was much of an outdoors man? I Google Mapped his locations, they're very scenic and less than 10 miles away from where Donna Lass disappeared September 1970.

Suicide, but no body seems unusual, but there's plenty of empty landscape around South Tahoe, I guess. Do we know if he was much of an outdoors man? I Google Mapped his locations, they're very scenic and less than 10 miles away from where Donna Lass disappeared September 1970.
Interesting...are you thinking there might be a connection?

Well.........and I hesitate only because they are of different gender...there are a lot of similarities. Both Donna and Richard disappeared utterly within 3 years of each other...they were both single, in their mid-20s, and both in gainful employment. They both left all their possessions, including vehicles and they had both recently acquired new, and as yet unoccupied, property. And, of course, Richard was actually a realtor, which seems to be quite a vulnerable profession.
And lastly [cough] and I'm saying this very very quietly, We have Zodiac's [Whoever they might be] "Peek [Peak?] through the pines" communication, based on a realtor's advertisement for Incline Village at the north end of Lake Tahoe. Probably a leap too far, but the rest holds true.

Information is painfully thin on these old cases. Any indication on what he drove, whether he worked out? But...I have a date & place of birth...Los Angeles, 17th November 1947

A few more "breadcrumbs". His family lived in Corvina until the death of his father in

Not just breadcrumbs but a whole loaf! And it presents a more proactive picture of Richard than the NamUs bio

Timeline Nov 70 to Nov 71
Auburn Journal
Thurs 19 Nov 1970
Letter from Richard, dated 12 Nov 1970 which mentions being new to the area, but also mentions "my wife", the address given is consistent with the accommodation that went up in flames a year later (See below)
Thurs 3 Dec 1970 - Article about the Auburn Volunteer Bureau
Thurs 7 Jan 1971 - letter dated 31 Dec 1970, describes himself a a regular contributor to the letter page...
Thurs 28 Jan 1971 - Ad for realtor [UK English: estate agent] Maretta Weir, which inc. Richard
Roseville Press-Journal Weds 24 Feb 1971
Article about the "Foothills Community Concern", "A group devoted to meeting the problems of drug abuse among young people in Placer County."
Auburn Journal
Thurs 11 March 1971, listed as subscriber
Thurs 25 March 1971 - Another article about the AVB, picture of Richard, top right, not great, but identifiable.
Thurs 11 Nov 1971 - Fire at Richard's rented accommodation and he's seeking new quarters
In this article he is described as a student and substitute teacher

Not to be judgemental but Richard may well have Ruffled Feathers in his new community.

This is an Edit: I have just searched for Richard in Eldorado Co. which includes South Tahoe & Tahoe Valley (Where Richard disappeared), and there is a big fat nothing, which may be due to a gap in the archives, but otherwise is very odd for someone who has insinuated himself throughout the community 1970-71

Last edited:
Hi all, I see you mentioned Richard's proximity to Donna Lass, but check out his proximity to another South Lake Tahoe missing persons case from 6 weeks after Donna went missing; the case of Charles L. Hollingsworth. Two missing adults, especially men missing from the same area less than a mile apart and neither body is found? Sounds highly unlikely and worth digging into. I have already suspected a possible tie between Hollingsworth and Lass because they were both in the medical field, although Donna had moved to her new apartment only days before she vanished, but she WAS living with friends in the area before going to that apartment. I know a lot about her case and have worked extensively on the Zodiac case(I do not think she was really a Zodiac victim, Zodiac hinted he was responsible though)

Attachments

• south lake tahoe mysteries.png
    south lake tahoe mysteries.png
    683.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
morf, the parents of the Richard Edward Strehle in Santa Barbara are different from the parents of the guy born 17 Nov 1946 in Los Angeles, so there are two R E Strehles rattling around California. Now, because of the Donna Lass connection, I think the Santa Barbara bloke is the most likely, but I cannot find a birth. Will get back, as there is more

No doubt, the one in Santa Barbara IS the missing Richard (unless the other Richard E also has a sister names Susan)

Attachments

• strehle.png
    strehle.png
    289 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members