CA - Robert Spohr, 70, fatally shot & Wendy Wood, 68, shot at home, Lake Tahoe, 5 June 2021 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
there's a paywall
can you summarize please?
Very lengthy article. The parts I snipped were about the background of the couple and details about the crime that are on these threads.

“Wood survived — but suffered from disability, depression and a longing for the man she’d been with for 50 years.

On March 9, in a senior home where she’d been slowly regaining strength, Wood killed herself. She was 70, the same age as her husband when he died.
[…]

She believes the killer knew her parents “directly,” and she stays in close contact with the sheriff’s office in Placer County, where the victims’ towering chalet-style home sat in an upscale neighborhood alongside the lake and the Homewood ski resort.
Investigators said they have new clues that lead them to think someone may have hired the shooter to kill the couple on June 5, 2021 — and that whoever put up the money for the job or pulled the trigger may be from the Reno area.
[…]
Wood managed to regain consciousness just long enough to dial 911, and though she couldn’t speak, dispatchers could tell something was wrong and sent officers to the home. There, they found Spohr dead near a fireplace on the second floor. Wood was prone in the bathroom. Her daughter thinks their dog, Maggie, licked her out of concern long enough to revive her to make the phone call.
Given the execution-style nature of the shootings and the lack of robbery, investigators quickly came to a preliminary conclusion: “We firmly believe this was some sort of planned event. … Targeted,”
[…]

“We are looking for multiple suspects who we believe were involved in the murder of Gary Spohr. … We continue to track down all tips and leads,” Placer County sheriff’s spokesperson Angela Musallam said this week. Beyond that, she said, “We cannot provide any additional details at this time.”
Adrienne Spohr, 33, said she does know some of those leads, though, and she is encouraged.
“Placer County did a good job of refocusing on the case,” she said. “They’ve been working on it every day. That’s been huge. They have a lot to do, and they have some leads.” She didn’t elaborate on what those leads were.
Photographs of Adrienne Spohr’s parents are displayed in her home. Investigators said they have new clues that lead them to believe someone hired the shooter to kill the couple in 2021, and that whoever put up the money for the job may be from the Reno area.

Photographs of Adrienne Spohr’s parents are displayed in her home. Investigators said they have new clues that lead them to believe someone hired the shooter to kill the couple in 2021, and that whoever put up the money for the job may be from the Reno area.
[…]

Wood had no memory of being shot, Spohr said. But the absence of her beloved husband, with whom she had built a life of managing and developing real estate while living first in Orinda and then Tahoe, was too much.
“My mom just could never move on. This huge thing happened — it’s like you’re reading a novel, and the final pages are missing. Or you’re writing a story, and there’s no ending. … And ultimately it killed her.”
Spohr said that even though her mother didn’t remember the shooting, “she had some feelings in her heart. She thought it was someone she knew.”
The violence and mystery are an unexpectedly shocking end to what had been an almost idyllic story for the Spohr family.
[…]

She paused for a moment to gather herself. “We spread some of Mom’s ashes this winter on one of her favorite ski runs,” she said quietly. “We just need one good break in this case. You never know who has information and wasn’t willing to come forth back then.””

Very lengthy article. The parts I snipped were about the background of the couple and details about the crime that are on these threads.

“Wood survived — but suffered from disability, depression and a longing for the man she’d been with for 50 years.

On March 9, in a senior home where she’d been slowly regaining strength, Wood killed herself. She was 70, the same age as her husband when he died.
[…]

She believes the killer knew her parents “directly,” and she stays in close contact with the sheriff’s office in Placer County, where the victims’ towering chalet-style home sat in an upscale neighborhood alongside the lake and the Homewood ski resort.
Investigators said they have new clues that lead them to think someone may have hired the shooter to kill the couple on June 5, 2021 — and that whoever put up the money for the job or pulled the trigger may be from the Reno area.
[…]
Wood managed to regain consciousness just long enough to dial 911, and though she couldn’t speak, dispatchers could tell something was wrong and sent officers to the home. There, they found Spohr dead near a fireplace on the second floor. Wood was prone in the bathroom. Her daughter thinks their dog, Maggie, licked her out of concern long enough to revive her to make the phone call.
Given the execution-style nature of the shootings and the lack of robbery, investigators quickly came to a preliminary conclusion: “We firmly believe this was some sort of planned event. … Targeted,”
[…]

“We are looking for multiple suspects who we believe were involved in the murder of Gary Spohr. … We continue to track down all tips and leads,” Placer County sheriff’s spokesperson Angela Musallam said this week. Beyond that, she said, “We cannot provide any additional details at this time.”
Adrienne Spohr, 33, said she does know some of those leads, though, and she is encouraged.
“Placer County did a good job of refocusing on the case,” she said. “They’ve been working on it every day. That’s been huge. They have a lot to do, and they have some leads.” She didn’t elaborate on what those leads were.

[…]

Wood had no memory of being shot, Spohr said. But the absence of her beloved husband, with whom she had built a life of managing and developing real estate while living first in Orinda and then Tahoe, was too much.
“My mom just could never move on. This huge thing happened — it’s like you’re reading a novel, and the final pages are missing. Or you’re writing a story, and there’s no ending. … And ultimately it killed her.”
Spohr said that even though her mother didn’t remember the shooting, “she had some feelings in her heart. She thought it was someone she knew.”
The violence and mystery are an unexpectedly shocking end to what had been an almost idyllic story for the Spohr family.
[…]

She paused for a moment to gather herself. “We spread some of Mom’s ashes this winter on one of her favorite ski runs,” she said quietly. “We just need one good break in this case. You never know who has information and wasn’t willing to come forth back then.””

This is so sad! Such a tragedy. I was thinking about this case the other day and planned to check to see if there was any news.

RIP to the Spohrs and sympathy to their family and friends.

[…]

[…]
[…]

[…]

[…]

thank you
that's what I figured - she killed herself - very sad

thank you
that's what I figured - she killed herself - very sad

The article said Wendy didn't remember the shooting, but felt the killer was someone she knew.
I wonder if the killer drove his own car to the area, but parked some distance away because his car might be familiar to the victims or the neighbors.

I'm leaning that direction - that the killer parked a mile or so away and walked to the Spohr's home.

Robert Gary Spohr - Bing images
tahoe-person-of-interest-800x450.jpeg

Couple Shot In North Lake Tahoe; Person Of Interest Caught On Surveillance Video – Good Day Sacramento (cbslocal.com)

''The short clip shows a person in a hoodie, backpack, grey sweatpants, and a neck gaiter face mask running across a driveway.

“No reason to believe that this could occur at any other home. This does not appear to be a random wild act,” Lt. Resendes said.

The couple’s daughter issued a statement about the shooting. Click here to read it.

Investigators are now hoping that someone recognizes the person. Anyone with information about the person of interest is urged to call the Placer County Sheriff’s Office at (530) 889-7853.''
How their daughter did not recognize her husband Is beyond me. The walk, the jog, height, build. This should have been solved much sooner!

I just read this update as well...am I the only person that read this article and immediately suspected a *potential* link to the son in law? It just glared like a beam. Sparks/Reno, mother thinks it was someone she knew, financial distress, no forced access (household key)...the classics. Who Is Erin Serafini? Dan Serafini Wife- Married Life And Kids. No accusations obviously, this is complete conjecture. Just seemed obvious path of investigation, which I'm sure they've done.
You hit the nail on the head. Sorry that no one took the bait and ran with the info you provided and did more research. I see you were a new member, commented only on this case, and handed the suspect over. I’m sorry it wasn’t solved sooner and very sorry for your loss!

''After a two-year investigation, Danny Serafini, 49, and Samantha Scott, 33, were arrested separately, hundreds of miles apart in Las Vegas and northwest of Reno. Authorities say they knew each other and the victims - Robert Gary Spohr and his wife, Wendy Wood - and NBC and the San Francisco Chronicle say they were Serafini's in-laws.''

'Wood recovered from her injuries but committed suicide 10 months later.'

1697866639755.png
Danny Serafini was arrested in connection with murder and attempted murder of his in-laws

1697866877867.png

“Sources close to the investigation told The Chronicle that early on, detectives suspected Serafini might have carried out the attack to pay off debts from his bar business, which at one point totaled hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Serafini declined to talk to the Chronicle when reached in July, but his wife, Erin Spohr — the slain couple’s daughter — told the Chronicle “I have no idea who did that to my parents.”

“I wish I knew,” she said. “Right now, we’re just trying to cope. I miss my parents tremendously, and I wish they could see my kids (sons, ages 2 and 5) grow up.” She said her husband, who at one time ran a baseball instruction school in the Reno area, was now working “in underground mining.”

Placer County Sheriff’s spokesperson Angela Musallam said a key element leading to Serafini was surveillance video shot at the family home on the day of the slayings, June 5, 2021.

“There was a lot of time spent by our detectives and the (Placer County District Attorney’s) office, and they ID’d him as that male who was walking into the home and then out of it again after the shootings,” she said.”

(Paywalled) https://www.sfchronicle.com/califor...-among-two-arrested-tahoe-murder-18439010.php

Last edited:
Physically, he doesn’t seem to match the suspect caught on cctv, imo. Unless he has gained a lot of weight since the shootings. Or was the female suspect the shooter? The SF Chronicle article above makes it sound like it was Serafini, but I don’t know if I’m reading it wrong.

Maybe he purposely put on weight after the alleged crime? - Or- note the photo placement re SS below, iykwim, fwiw, imo, speculation..
1697902480768.png
1697902572314.png
1697902219111.png eta rbbm
''Serafini was a son-in-law of the victims, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office said Friday at a news conference. Scott also knew them, possibly as a nanny for the family, the spokesman said.

Serafini and Scott, who each face a murder charge and an attempted murder charge, were awaiting extradition to Placer County, the sheriff’s office said.''

Last edited:
Maybe he purposely put on weight after the alleged crime? - Or- note the photo placement re SS below, iykwim, fwiw, imo, speculation..
View attachment 454867
View attachment 454868
View attachment 454866
''Serafini was a son-in-law of the victims, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office said Friday at a news conference. Scott also knew them, possibly as a nanny for the family, the spokesman said.

Serafini and Scott, who each face a murder charge and an attempted murder charge, were awaiting extradition to Placer County, the sheriff’s office said.''

Maybe! The killer definitely looks athletic.

And the other suspect was the nanny?!! This just gets worse!

How their daughter did not recognize her husband Is beyond me. The walk, the jog, height, build. This should have been solved much sooner!
The daughter who issued the statement in 2021 is named Adrienne Spohr and she was not married to Dan Serafini. He married a different daughter, named Erin.

"A public records search, shows Serafini had a family relationship with Spohr and Wood, having married one of their daughters, Erin."

Wow, the rumors were right. It always seemed like it was done by an "insider", someone who knew their schedule and their house very well. Very sad. Just blowing up your wife's family just because you can't manage money.

Last edited:
Wow, the rumors were right. It always seemed like it was done by an "insider", someone who knew their schedule and their house very well.

The killer spent hours in the home with the family dog waiting for the Spohrs to arrive home. There were so many things that made it sound like an insider, but that always stood out to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle
Back