CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello all,

I understand from Yanette that DNA is all but done. She did a hell of job making all that happen. I have looked in on the blog from time to time - your all quite persistant! I'll keep my prayers with the Cole family.

I have been quite busy - I will be teaching a CA POST statewide course to officers down in the Orange County Coroner Training Facilty next month - it will entail the ins and outs of identifying John and Jane Doe(s), how to locate next-of-kin & how to notify loved ones of a death.

I have also been working on my cousin's dissapearance - I, much like Yannette, have been tugging the ears of people across the country in an effort to get somene to dust off an old case and compare it to my cousin's. I have a pretty good lead in Florida and have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the investigator at the medical examiner's office to get back to me.

Good job everyone.

Darrell

d.o.a. cop said:
Hello all,

I understand from Yanette that DNA is all but done. She did a hell of job making all that happen. I have looked in on the blog from time to time - your all quite persistant! I'll keep my prayers with the Cole family.

I have been quite busy - I will be teaching a CA POST statewide course to officers down in the Orange County Coroner Training Facilty next month - it will entail the ins and outs of identifying John and Jane Doe(s), how to locate next-of-kin & how to notify loved ones of a death.

I have also been working on my cousin's dissapearance - I, much like Yannette, have been tugging the ears of people across the country in an effort to get somene to dust off an old case and compare it to my cousin's. I have a pretty good lead in Florida and have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the investigator at the medical examiner's office to get back to me.

Good job everyone.

Darrell
Your ears musta been ringing! Some of the posters were missing you and posting about you!

Very sorry to hear that your cousin is missing....Let us know if we can help with your missing loved one. I know the people on here would help out any way they could! There are also so many resources and contacts throughout these pages here to help/support.

gardenmom said:
Hi magicrose, I have been wondering too. I guess no news is good news. If there haven't been any hits on the DNA database, that could mean Rose is still alive.
I'm new to websleuths and am not sure if I'm doing this post correct, but am so excited to have found this site.

My hope is that Rose is still alive and was wondering if there was any way to find out if any,certified copies of her birth certificate have been requested thoughout the years.

If she applied for a SS#, drivers license or any other form of identification wouldn't it be reasonable that she needed a copy of her birth certificate?

tuitsweet said:
This UID sure remined me of Rose....anyone else?

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/255ufok.html

tuitsweet
Very interesting.....

255UFOK.jpg

• Found on April 18, 1980, on a bank of the Canadian River near Jones, 20 miles NE of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
  • Cause of death was homicide. The victim was shot three times with a .45-caliber revolver.
Estimated age: 18 - 25 years old.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"-5'7" (168-170 cm);120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light reddish/brown hair. Fair complexion with freckles on face and upper torso. Appendectomy scar. No fractures.
Clothing: None found.
Dental: Extensive dental work done, some teeth out of alignment.
Tattoos: Tattoo of small heart above left breast; heart and line in blue ink, center of heart colored with red ink.
Fingerprints: Available

Since Rose was in the juvenile court's system, does anyone remember if any fingerprints were taken? Could they be matched up to this UID from Oklahoma? She really looks like a good match...perhaps a dna comparision is appropriate here?

ttfn
tuitsweet

I thought I would put these up together for everyone to compare.

Only thing i see wrong is the jane does nose looks to have a higher i guess arch or bone to it and roses nose looks more like the bone is slanted downward

One thing to remember is that reconstructions of UID's and age-progressions of the missing are an art, not a science. It will give you an approximation, but rarely will a picture be a perfect match.

I would be interested in a study done where pictures of non-missing are given to forensic artists for age-progressions, then compare them to the actual aged person. In other words, a picture of me at age six is given to the artist along with what my family looked like at age 48, then compare the age-progression created to what I actually look like at 48.

It appears to me, that the picture (a reconstructed image) has a 'blur' at the tip of her nose, or perhaps this 'specific' piece of her nose was not there ? Or it was 'smudged' when posted? Her mouth has the same shape, and her hairline/wave on the left appears very similar, I know I still have the same 'wave' I have had since a child, no matter what I try to do to my hair, it always 'goes that way' My family also has a very prominent gene, and is similiar to Rose's mouth/teeth shape, it is seen in numerous generations, very specific. and very prominent.

tuitsweet

I started a thread at a Flint,MI forum looking for anyone who was court ordered to Synanon back in the 70's. I am sure that Rose was not the only person sent there by the court system. Maybe we can find someonelse who was sent there. He is the link to the forum:

http://www.flinttalk.com/index.php

Shadow205 said:
I started a thread at a Flint,MI forum looking for anyone who was court ordered to Synanon back in the 70's. I am sure that Rose was not the only person sent there by the court system...
Great idea. Someone may have known her and have some clues as to what happened to her.

rhyno1974 said:
I know this is way out there, but do you think there is any possibility that Rose could be the "Princess Doe". I know the age is off a bit, but I do see some resemblence.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/36ufnj.html
Hiya rhyno, Welcome to WS!

Says this was possibly an unidentified hotel worker that went by several aliases....I'd like to know what those were.

Age seems off by quite a bit...this girl was found in 1982...Rose would have been 26, the UID listed age range is 14-18 (how close do the stats say they come? Are there stats for this?)

I can't recall how tall Rose was, but I'm thinking tall? Someone? This doe is 5'2" to 5'4".

Did Rose have crowded lower teeth?

How about piercings?...although, this could have changed after missing...the doe's ears were pierced; her left ear was double-pierced.

I know of one case here in Toronto of a John Doe who was listed as under 30 years old and he turned out to be 17.

rhyno1974 said:
I know of one case here in Toronto of a John Doe who was listed as under 30 years old and he turned out to be 17.
Yep, it's so hard on some of these because the info very well could be waaaay off you, you are so right about that.

I wish Isabela were around, so she could check it out.

And were is HOT? (HeartofTexas)

Shadow?

Am still alive, live goes to fast. . .I have not forgotten. . .e-mail me a list of the things I need to follow up. . .Am currently in San Antonio, TX for a business trip. Am returning home later today. Will check on your questions on Sunday! Promise! Isa. . .

Did her brother ever go to Texas? If so, when?
Pose (full name: Pose Poem Cole), the youngest brother has lived in TX most of his life. We have not been able to get in contact with him. The last communication was about 8 years ago.

Does her family have dental records on her? Had she ever seen a dentist? If they do not have dental records on her, but she had seen a dentist, what do they know about the dental work she had?
She visited the Moss Dental Clinic in Flint MI. I obtained dental records to be compared with Jane Doe in CA. These were not a match. However, her stepmother (Opal) and step sisters (Brenda & Norma) are certain that the dental records were switch at one point. They think the records I obtained are Norma’s since Rose had no dental work done. The dental work show in the records matches Norma’s dental work.

Did she have pierced ears?
No

Tattoos?
No

Any favorite jewelry she took with her? Was she partial to gold? Silver? Costume? Rings? Earrings? Necklaces? Chokers? Bracelets? Watches? Pins? Buttons?
I think Opal mentioned a ring but not much detail on this regard, everything else in your question will be a "No" but more accurate, “I don’t know”.

Did she wear glasses? Contacts? Sunglasses? Hats? Scarves? Headbands? Barrettes? Hair Clips? Ponytail?
No glasses, contacts, etc. However, the pictures I have she did wear headbands.

Was the last photo they have of her one that was taken before she left of after?
No pictures of her are available after she was sent to the Synanon

Was she the type to get a short haircut or was cutting her hair something she would never do? (in her family’s opinion)
She was complemented on her long beautiful hair. Again, all pictures available show her with long hair.

Would Synanon have forced her to get her hair cut or change her look because of some strange rule they had there?
For what we have learned about the Synanon, there is a great chance that they may have her cut her hair and even shave her head.

What was her weight and height?
I am not sure, but I know she felt as she was the tallest, long legs, etc. My son (Jesse Alexander or Little Jess), her nephew is only 10 years old and he is 5’4” already. Jesse James (her brother, my husband) is 6’3”. She could have easily been 5’7” at age 15.

Did she have any scars? Surgeries? Previously broken bones? Known medical conditions? Acne scars? Chicken pox scars?
No

Were you ever able to discover her drug of choice?
If truly using drugs, it would have been marijuana

In what states did she have friends and/or relatives?
School friend in MI, Claire. Step brother, Billy in Grand Blanc, MI. Cousin, Roxanne in Flint, MI. Norma in the UP, MI. Brenda in Decatur, AL, also in Decatur her step mom, Opal.
Brother Pose in TX
Brother Jesse in Madison, WI

Had she spoke about anyone she had met at Synanon?
One of her letters mentions a young girl of the name of Ruth. They were the youngest there.

What size clothes did she wear? Shoes?
Not sure

Was she partial to jeans? Slacks? Skirts? Dresses? Prints? Stripes? Solids?
Not sure

Do they still have any of her things? Have they checked to see if they could get finger prints off any of those items? Such as the letters? Have they tried to get DNA off of the envelope that she most likely licked closed? I know you mentioned the brother gave a DNA sample.
The only things we have are the letters. On of the envelopes was open with a letter opener, so it was still sealed. This envelope along with Jesse James DNA was provided to NCEMC. About 3 weeks ago the DNA was added to CODIS. I sent an e-mail last night to my contacts to asking for feedback.

Good to hear the DNA was entered into CODIS. Isa, do you want me to try find Pose?

itsreenw said:
Good to hear the DNA was entered into CODIS. Isa, do you want me to try find Pose?

We have tried! If you could give it a shot, that will be great!!! It shouldn't be that difficult, there is only one Pose Poem Cole in this world :) Let me know what other info will you need. All I have is his name and birthdate, along with the addresses were he used to live. The same public information you'll find online!

Isa

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kezzx
Back