CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Myself and another person who is actually Mei's friend were the first people that they told, that they did find parts of a body inside the house," said Elle Benami, referring to what police said after searching the Haskells' home.

14036254_encino-family-missing-TN-img.jpg

Police say Mei Haskell (left), and her parents, Yanxiang Wang (middle) and Gaoshen Li (right), are currently missing.

Benami told ABC7 that Mei Li Haskell "really help me keep my sanity" during stay-at-home orders during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. "Our kids were kind of going crazy, being cooped up at home, having Zoom classes," she said. "So her boys and my kids would play here in the front yard or backyard."

Benami described her friend is a "very sweet, generous person, very social. She loved to throw parties -- I'd say some of the best parties I've been to."

During those parties, Samuel Haskell "would come in and was smiling and kind of friendly, but not outgoing," according to the neighbor. "He would sit in the corner and after about 20 minutes, disappear -- go to his room, maybe go on a walk."

Benami talked about the difficulty of explaining the situation to her children, given the likelihood that the Haskell children would not live in the Tarzana home again.

"To think that my next-door neighbor -- a few feet away from my kids' room -- that something like that transpired there is insane to me," she said

A group of day laborers said they were hired to help move trash bags containing body parts out of a Tarzana home at the center of a murder investigation.

The workers said they were paid $500 to haul away three large trash bags from inside the garage at Haskell’s home on Coldstream Terrace in Tarzana, about 25 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. He told the workers the bags were full of rocks. But once they picked up the bags, they said it felt like there was meat inside.

“When we picked up the bags, we could tell they weren't rocks,” one of the workers said in Spanish. He did not want to be identified.

The men described the bags as soft and soggy, each weighing about 50 pounds.

They said something didn’t feel right, so they stopped their truck a block away to look inside the bags.

“I started seeing body parts, a belly button,” the worker said. “I was astonished. Of course, I felt bad. We had been tricked.”

They drove back to Haskell’s home, left the bags on the driveway and returned the money.

The worker said they told Haskell they didn’t want to be involved, and Haskell tried to pass the body parts off as Halloween props.

The men said they drove immediately to the police, but were turned away from two law enforcement stations when they tried to report what they saw. First, from the California Highway Patrol station on De Soto, where the men said they were directed to the Los Angeles Police Department. Then from the LAPD Topanga Station, they were told to leave and call 911 from the courtyard.

The men said they feared for their lives.

Can you freakin imagine how those poor men felt? Turned away from two different stations, when trying to do the right thing and report what they found? Pizzes me off to no end! Hope nothing ever happens to me on a visit to LA.

I thought it was odd a neighbor reported seeing body parts, now it makes sense.

Just finding this thread -- SMH -- thanks for the info on this near-unbelievable situation.
Whew! It never stops. Why, why, why?
At least he has a high bond -- hoping no one wants to take a chance of bailing him out of the slammer.
Thinking about & saying a prayer for the children. They went to school one morning and in a flash, their lives changed in a horrible way. Hoping that relatives will be able to help them through this horror. SMH.

Samuel the 4th is a true idiot. Talk about a spoiled rich kid. He bags up the bodies and calls 3 workman to come dump them for him before the kids get home from school.

Thank Goodness he is so incompetent.

Very sad and strange, I guess his brain is fired.
He looks very drugged out and unbalanced. 2 million seems very low for the crime.
All murders are horrific, but to cut up someone's body is nothing but evil.
the motive was probably something very minor as his wife and her parents look very kind. And the 3 young kids.:(

I am confused, were the remains discovered by someone paid to pick up trash or an unhoused person? FOX11 News reported it was an unhoused person who located them. Maybe there were two occasions of remains being recovered, I'm glad people were so alert

I am confused, were the remains discovered by someone paid to pick up trash or an unhoused person? FOX11 News reported it was an unhoused person who located them. Maybe there were two occasions of remains being recovered, I'm glad people were so alert
Both. The police didn't take the people hired to dispose of the trash seriously. It took a homeless person finding one of the bags by a dumpster at a later time for them to get involved.

This is local to me so my local news had an interview with one of the 3 Latino workers who were hired to move the bodies.

He said they were asked to move some large garbage bags 'full of rocks' for 500 cash. They agreed and began to load them in the back of their truck.

He said when he picked up the bag it was obvious it was not rocks---he said it felt like meat and bones when he carried it. They loaded the bags into the truck and drove to the end of the block and then he went and looked inside one of the bags. He saw 'a stomach and a belly button' and they immediately went back to the house, took the bags to the front yard and then gave Samuel his 500 bucks back, and they left.

They drove to the CHP station and were told to go to the LAPD. [which I understand because the bodies were not found in CHP territory.---but they could have called LAPD themselves for the guys]

The 3 rattled workers went inside the police station and for some dumb reason were told to go outside and call 911. WTH?

Anyway--the police did then go to the address given to them by the workers---but no one was home and no garbage bags were seen with bodies. So they left.

But awhile later, an unhoused man, looking for recycling items, found a bloody bag in the dumpster, and called 911.

As soon as LE found that bag they went right back to that same address and forced their way in and found the bloody crime scene.

They then went to the local mall and picked up the suspect. I wonder if they pinged his cell to figure out where he was?

Just finding this thread -- SMH -- thanks for the info on this near-unbelievable situation.
Whew! It never stops. Why, why, why?
At least he has a high bond -- hoping no one wants to take a chance of bailing him out of the slammer.
Thinking about & saying a prayer for the children. They went to school one morning and in a flash, their lives changed in a horrible way. Hoping that relatives will be able to help them through this horror. SMH.
I'm not understanding the timeline. How long have the three adults been missing? Did the kids know their mom and grandparents were missing?? Or, did all this happen during one school day, which seems unbelievable.

Thankful the kids were not physically harmed and that the perp was caught.

jmo

Both. The police didn't take the people hired to dispose of the trash seriously. It took a homeless person finding one of the bags by a dumpster at a later time for them to get involved.
If LE didn't find the bag of body parts when alerted by the day laborers, it still seems reasonable to knock on a few doors and ask questions. Seems like LE saw blood when they did finally go to the house, and they might have been able to see that earlier and recover all the body parts, not just the torso.

jmo

If LE didn't find the bag of body parts when alerted by the day laborers, it still seems reasonable to knock on a few doors and ask questions.
They might have done that. But might not be many people home at 11 am on a weekday.

Seems like LE saw blood when they did finally go to the house, and they might have been able to see that earlier and recover all the body parts, not just the torso.

jmo
True, but I am not sure the 3 workers explained it really well. I think they were trying to do what was right but also trying not to get involved and say too much. They did their duty for sure.

But I know that LE get lots of weird calls and reports and sometimes they are unfounded or people are mistaken. Also people make up stories.

I'm not understanding the timeline. How long have the three adults been missing? Did the kids know their mom and grandparents were missing?? Or, did all this happen during one school day, which seems unbelievable.

Thankful the kids were not physically harmed and that the perp was caught.

jmo
From what I understand it all happened in one long day. I am pretty sure Mom took the kids to school or to the bus.

Maybe SH tied up or injured his in-laws while his wife was gone? Then he jumped her when she returned?

I don't understand how he'd have enough time to 'fill the bags' so quickly?

Could he have killed his in-laws in the middle of the night? Lots of those homes have little apartments/guest houses in the back part of the yard. Maybe he began his crime spree while his family slept. The wife and kids probably get ready for school in the morning early and don't necessarily expect to see the in-laws before school?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissHalle
Back