CA CA - Sandra Hughes, 53, Sierra National Forest/Madera Co, 26 Jun 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Five miles isn't a long hike for an experienced hiker. If it was only two miles, that's even easier. Here are two possible scenarios.

Scenario 1
-Hughes drives to the campsite, possibly sets up camp, goes hiking.
-Then at some point, something happens (medical, psychological, pharmacological, or an outside threat such as an attacker). She dumps things from car into campsite and drives off.
-She has a car crash where the car was found. She then walks off from there, bruised, barefoot, and possibly disoriented. Someone asks her how she's doing but she refuses medical assistance.
(In this scenario, what isn't clear is what led the campsite to be so disheveled. It also sounds like extra things were dumped out of the car.)

Scenario 2
-Hughes drives to the campsite, sets up camp, goes hiking.
-She drives off to find a particular car and has an accident.
-Barefoot and bruised, she walks back to the campsite and goes through her things or throws them around. Someone sees her near there, but she refuses medical assistance.
(In this scenario, it's still unclear exactly why the campsite was disheveled or why she didn't just hunker down, but the accident itself might provide some explanation if it caused her to be disoriented or confused.)

To choose between these two scenarios, one would need more details about where she was seen barefoot, the exact condition of the campsite, where the tracking dogs thought she went, etc. Of course, some third thing might've happened.
'

Oops, I need to proofread better. In the first scenario, I meant to type "she drives off to find a particular trailhead and has an accident."

Was hoping to see new info today. It’s just so strange, especially if you add in the car hitting a tree! What the heck is going on? And the campsite in such disarray. I wonder if there were any personal belongings still in the car or if it appears she’d taken everything to the campsite?

Where Is Sandra Johnsen Hughes? Search Is on for Missing Woman After Abandoned Campsite and Crashed Car Found

Where is Sandra Johnsen Hughes? A search is now underway for a 54-year-old aunt who went on a solo camping trip in the Sierra National Forest in California earlier this summer and hasn’t been heard from since.

It was originally believed she took off from the campsite in her car, but search teams, who have been looking for her diligently in the area, came across her car, which “appears to have been involved in a collision with a tree,” authorities said.

Woman missing in Sierra National Forest: Authorities find 'disheveled' campsite, apparent car crash

Sandra's family hasn't heard from her since she went camping on June 26. Hikers saw her over the July 4th weekend, barefoot and perhaps disoriented.

Her car was found crashed near Chiquito Campground. The hikers said she had a bruise on her face and was barefoot. They asked if she needed help, she apparently declined assistance.

She's a friend of mine
I hope she's found soon! Do you have any thoughts on what might've happened?

Welcome to WS @Wander143 . Glad to have you here. Sorry this circumstance brings you here. Have been praying for your friend and hoping there are clues to what has happened.
She seems so strong and adventurous. Surely admire her spirit. Do you know if she is familiar with this area or what might have encouraged her to head up there to camp solo . Thanks in advance for anything you can share with us here.

Welcome to WS @Wander143 . Glad to have you here. Sorry this circumstance brings you here. Have been praying for your friend and hoping there are clues to what has happened.
She seems so strong and adventurous. Surely admire her spirit. Do you know if she is familiar with this area or what might have encouraged her to head up there to camp solo . Thanks in advance for anything you can share with us here.

Was hoping to see new info today. It’s just so strange, especially if you add in the car hitting a tree! What the heck is going on? And the campsite in such disarray. I wonder if there were any personal belongings still in the car or if it appears she’d taken everything to the campsite?
The people who found the car gathered personal information from contents to turn over to Forest service and sherriff.

I don't know what a "disheveled" campsite indicates (I understand the word itself). Has anyone seen anything that says the dishevelment was likely due to theft/looting? That was my initial impression but I haven't found any source that comes out and says that is true or even likely.

Last edited:
I hope she's found soon! Do you have any thoughts on what might've happened?
Since initially they were searching the Chiquita Lake area. I'm thinking the so called hikers that say they saw her bruised and barefoot saw her closer to the car site than the campsite. The Chiquita Creek runs by both sites so I'm confused as to where in the area of the 2 sites she was reported seen last. And I'm not familiar with this area. Is Chiquita Lake heading towards Yosemite was mentioned later.?

Last edited:
I don't know what a "disheveled" campsite means. Has anyone seen anything that indicates the dishevelment was likely due to theft/looting? That was my initial impression but I haven't found any source that comes out and says that is true or even likely.
Thrown about. It's not typical of her to be unorganized or have a lot of things strewn around. Food was not bothered so that rules out wildlife.

I don't know what a "disheveled" campsite means. Has anyone seen anything that indicates the dishevelment was likely due to theft/looting? That was my initial impression but I haven't found any source that comes out and says that is true or even likely.

A few articles described it as if someone just emptied the contents of her car and campsite carelessly as if contents were thrown everywhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back