Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The term “human trafficking” conflates a number of distinct situations. It basically refers to any instance where someone is compelled to work as a sex worker: either without their consent or under threat of some sort of harm.

The overwhelming majority of Human Trafficking that are identified in Western countries are situations where the victim is under legal age (18 in the US) because they would not be legally able to grant consent, or when the victim comes from a poor country and the trafficker is able to use the victims lack of rights in the country they are in and the ability to hurt them in their home country to force compliance. Additional situations that involve victims who are mentally ill, addicted to drugs or otherwise unable to leave the trafficker may apply.

A situation where a regular woman with no mental health or lifestyle issues is abducted off the street and forced into sex work under the threat of physical harm would certainly represent an example of “ human trafficking “. It just isn’t certain that such situations actually exist in Western countries today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not just sex work. Labor trafficking is huge all over the world and is a major part of human trafficking. Otherwise, I agree with everything you wrote.

From Kimster's stats at the link...
The average age at which girls first become victims of prostitution is 12-14.

In other words, not women in their mid 30s.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that age represents only about 3% of sex trafficked persons who are pretty much all prostitutes.

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/what-human-trafficking/human-trafficking/victims

"Runaway and homeless youth are vulnerable to trafficking. A study in Chicago found that 56 percent of prostituted women were initially runaway youth and similar numbers have been identified for male populations. Runaway and homeless youth lack a strong supportive network and runaway to unfamiliar environments are particularly at risk of trafficking. Runaway youth are often approached by traffickers at transportation hubs, shelters or other public spaces. These traffickers pretend to be a boyfriend or significant other, using feigned affection and manipulation to elicit commercial sex or services from the victim.

Foreign nationals who are trafficked within the United States face unique challenges that may leave them more susceptible to trafficking and exploitation. In 2013, 32 percent of calls with high indicators of human trafficking to the NHTRC referenced foreign nationals. Recruiters located in home countries frequently require such large recruitment and travel fees that victims become highly indebted to the recruiters and traffickers. These fees are inflated far beyond cost in order to create economic instability and dependency on the new employer or trafficker. Traffickers leverage the non-portability of many work visas as well as the lack of familiarity with surroundings, laws and rights, language fluency, and cultural understanding in order to control and manipulate victims.

Individuals who have experienced violence and trauma in the past are more vulnerable to future exploitation, as the psychological effect of trauma is often long-lasting and challenging to overcome. Victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, war and conflict or social discrimination may be targeted by traffickers, who recognize the vulnerabilities left by these prior abuses. Violence and abuse may be normalized or beliefs of shame or unworthiness lead to future susceptibility to human trafficking."

Middle-class white women who are just walking are not the main demographic of human trafficking victims.

Not only aren't they the main demographic. I don't think they're the demographic at all. Serial killer? Rapist? Husband "disappearing" them? Sure. Kidnapped off the street in broad daylight by female, Latina sex traffickers? Illogical.

I personally am a little confused about all the discussion on sex trafficking when it is unlikely in SP's case. Investigator's even stated that.

I've been researching kidnappings and found an interesting article about faked abductions.
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/faked_abduction_claims_why_would_you_fake_a_kidnapping/

I've noticed in a few of these hoaxed abductions the perps were in groups of 2 or 3 and pretty ethically random like two white males and a black female, and a hispanic male with a white female. Interesting! Reminds me of the two hispanic females!

I also found a well researched article on victims of abduction case studies.
http://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/Documents/CJB/cjb94.pdf

The motives listed for kidnapping were:
  1. Sexual desire
  2. Robbery
  3. Ransom
  4. Child custody
  5. Retribution (payback or revenge)
  6. Other
  7. Unknown

Here is some quotes from the other and unknown motive categories,
Other
Six victims were abducted for reasons
other than those outlined above. There
was no pattern to these incidents. For
instance, one victim was forced into a
car and beaten by strangers because the
offenders suspected he was homosexual.
Another offender abducted a woman he
knew seemingly because he was lonely
and wanted her to be his wife.

Unknown
For 21 abduction victims, no motive for
the offence could be discerned from
the police narrative. In some cases, the
victim or the offender had an intellectual
disability or was affected by drugs
or alcohol. In other cases, the victim
escaped or was released before any
motive could be determined.
In some
instances, the police narrative was not
sufficiently detailed to indicate the motive
for the abduction. None of these victims
experienced sexual violence or robbery.

Sherri's abduction could be under other, unknown, or even retribution.

What if it was a jealously attack? Think about it, the perps were woman, her face was beaten, and her hair was cut off. Her being released on Thanksgiving made me assume they didn't want family members to find her at the holiday dinner or something along those lines. Either way, holding her captive during a holiday was risky for them somehow. At the same time, if it was a jealously thing I'd think she would most likely have known them.

Remember, someone inserted themselves into the case why she was missing and it was specifically to handle ransom.

I feel very strongly that the entire matter was related to getting money, and it was a planned scheme that didn't pan out.... that we know of.

Remember, someone inserted themselves into the case why she was missing and it was specifically to handle ransom.

I feel very strongly that the entire matter was related to getting money, and it was a planned scheme that didn't pan out.... that we know of.

I agree that this was not a real abduction, but a money-making scheme. In fact we are having an interesting discussion about the Canadian hostages released in October and whether that was also a scheme. I mentioned SP in this post. I will forever be cynical, unfortunately. Both of these cases are very suspicious.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Afghanistan-Oct-2017&p=13847711#post13847711

What a world we live in, where fake kidnappings can be provided as a service. Other than bizarre role playing, what would be the purpose?

About the kidnappers having their faces covered for 3 weeks... were their faces covered for the majority of that, or was hers the one covered most of the time?

I think you’d be surprised at the amount of niche fetishes and people who profit off of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’d be surprised at the amount of niche fetishes and people who profit off of them.

Other than being on WS, I lead a sheltered life. :eek:

Brendt Christensen certainly has opened my eyes. I'm going to close them now. Ick

What a world we live in, where fake kidnappings can be provided as a service. Other than bizarre role playing, what would be the purpose?

About the kidnappers having their faces covered for 3 weeks... were their faces covered for the majority of that, or was hers the one covered most of the time?

I found an answer to this,
There’s just not enough information to release detailed sketches of the two female kidnappers because Sherri Papini’s head was covered most of the time during her three-week ordeal, Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko told KRCR Channel 7 News.
And when Papini didn’t have a hood on, her assailants hid their faces from her, he added. Source: https://nypost.com/2016/12/16/why-jogger-mom-claims-she-cant-describe-her-abductors/

I've been re-searching her case and found a few things of interest:

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is why a kidnapper would wear such large earrings. She is described as wearing large hoop earrings. Wouldn't that be creating a "achilles heel". The victim could easily rip those things out.

Another thing I find very strange is the length of time she got medical treatment afterwards. She only spent a number of hours recieving treatment for her wounds after she was recovered. You'd think someone described as being starved, extremely emaciated, and only weighing 80 lbs would be in the hospital at least for an overnight stay.

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is why a kidnapper would wear such large earrings. She is described as wearing large hoop earrings. Wouldn't that be creating a "achilles heel". The victim could easily rip those things out.

Totally agree!
But we don’t know if they were in close contact with her!
Yet SP was able to smash one of the kidnappers heads into the toilet emaciated and broken as she was. Probs the one without earrings maybe????

And the lack in f medical attention is a huge red flag!!! No rape kit is sus to me and emaciated? I really doubt the 80 pounds KP yabbers on about.

Another thing I find very strange is the length of time she got medical treatment afterwards. She only spent a number of hours recieving treatment for her wounds after she was recovered. You'd think someone described as being starved, extremely emaciated, and only weighing 80 lbs would be in the hospital at least for an overnight stay.

In my own experience, at a low point in my adult life mostly owing to grief and depression I was down to 79lbs at 5’2” and never did require any medical treatment or hospitalization. But I don’t see how she could have been properly treated or even evaluated after an ordeal like this in just a few hours. You’d think that inpatient hospital care would be standard for any emaciated/malnourished person just because of the perils of refeeding syndrome. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

Totally agree!
But we don’t know if they were in close contact with her!
Yet SP was able to smash one of the kidnappers heads into the toilet emaciated and broken as she was. Probs the one without earrings maybe????

And the lack in f medical attention is a huge red flag!!! No rape kit is sus to me and emaciated? I really doubt the 80 pounds KP yabbers on about.

She apparently stated it was the younger one- the one with the earrings- who she fought and bashed her head against the toilet.

Interestingly, she claimed that later, the younger one and older one argued, there was a gunshot and the older one was never seen again while the younger one drove her off to release her without explanation.

I wonder if that dramatic scenario was meant to make us think that after bashing her head agains the toilet, the younger one began to "respect" SP so decided to let her go?

As to the hospital, I get the sense a rape kit was done. Remember, LE states it found DNA on her body and clothes so they were looking and testing. And they also state, IIRC, they found no evidence of sexual assault. She would have had to be examined to determine that.

If true, it seems there wasn't much time for anything but eveidj e gathering. No treatment. One would think an escaped victim would want the safety of the hospital at first. She was supposedly screaming so hard she coughed up blood. But no observation? Nothing? Hmm.

She apparently stated it was the younger one- the one with the earrings- who she fought and bashed her head against the toilet.

Interestingly, she claimed that later, the younger one and older one argued, there was a gunshot and the older one was never seen again while the younger one drove her off to release her without explanation.

I wonder if that dramatic scenario was meant to make us think that after bashing her head agains the toilet, the younger one began to "respect" SP so decided to let her go?

As to the hospital, I get the sense a rape kit was done. Remember, LE states it found DNA on her body and clothes so they were looking and testing. And they also state, IIRC, they found no evidence of sexual assault. She would have had to be examined to determine that.

If true, it seems there wasn't much time for anything but eveidj e gathering. No treatment. One would think an escaped victim would want the safety of the hospital at first. She was supposedly screaming so hard she coughed up blood. But no observation? Nothing? Hmm.

JMO but I don't think that a rape kit would have been done if she told them that she had not been raped. There may have been a very good reason that she would not have wanted a rape kit done. I don't think that she would have agreed to a rape kit nor submit to one, IMO.

I've been re-searching her case and found a few things of interest:

Very good points.

I think it was said that no rape kit was done as she said she was not sexually assaulted. Or reported that she was not sexually assaulted.
Regarding the dramatic scenario, I think you might have something there, that SP in her fantasy imagined telling that story would garner her as her own personal hero.

Yeah none of the hospital visit sits well with me. Heck they keep people for personal observation for way less. The whole emaciated, branded, bruises, nose broken, you might want a good nights rest and a good exam the next day just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper