Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who believe the hoax theory, there seem to be four general theories around why she’d fake her abduction:

1 ) - Mental illness/imbalance
Already touched on in multiple posts and alluded to in the article about the previous 911 calls. The idea that SP suffers from some sort of mental issue(s) which drove the behavior. Most who believe this theory assume her family are either oblivious to it, or like me, know in the back of their minds something isn’t right but are passive enablers.

2) - Infidelity
SP was romantically involved with another man (or men) and used this as a way to shack up with one. This is a tough one because if that were the case, you’d think said guy would come out of the woodwork by now however there was the man from Michigan that LE confirmed she had a “texting & online relationship” with but wouldn’t verify if it was romantic. There’s is a strong allusion here to the fact it was romantic or sexting of some kind. While it’s possible SP may have been unfaithful to KP, it’s tough for me to think she was in bed with a random guy while gone.

3) - To “get away” for a while
SP’s family has driven the narrative for years that she is a devoted wife and “super mom” who does everything for everyone else. An offshoot of #1, the stresses of everyday life overwhelmed her to the point where she faked her own abduction just to escape. She may have planned on coming back all along or decided such after realizing life on the road wasn’t as good as her life at home.

4) - Money
Less complex and sexy but still a reason. Proponents here believe that SP (and possibly/likely KP) orchestrated the hoax knowing SP would return all along and they would sell their story to news outlets for $$$ and possibly even get a reality show or movie rights deal out of it. The family has retained multiple lawyers and PR folks but few - if any - are related to criminal matters and most are regarding entertainment and public image. KP was reportedly paid for his 20/20 appearance and there were rumblings - albeit in online forums we shan’t discuss here :) - about them angling for a reality show deal behind the scenes.

I do believe the hoax theory but lean more towards #1 with her family - especially KP - being well intentioned but naive enablers of her behavior. IMO they don’t want to believe she’s capable of this so despite all the holes in her story, they will go along with it because it’s “their Sherri” and she couldn’t possibly do that.

I think a combo of one and two.

For those who believe the hoax theory, there seem to be four general theories around why she’d fake her abduction:

1 ) - Mental illness/imbalance
Already touched on in multiple posts and alluded to in the article about the previous 911 calls. The idea that SP suffers from some sort of mental issue(s) which drove the behavior. Most who believe this theory assume her family are either oblivious to it, or like me, know in the back of their minds something isn’t right but are passive enablers.

2) - Infidelity
SP was romantically involved with another man (or men) and used this as a way to shack up with one. This is a tough one because if that were the case, you’d think said guy would come out of the woodwork by now however there was the man from Michigan that LE confirmed she had a “texting & online relationship” with but wouldn’t verify if it was romantic. There’s is a strong allusion here to the fact it was romantic or sexting of some kind. While it’s possible SP may have been unfaithful to KP, it’s tough for me to think she was in bed with a random guy while gone.

3) - To “get away” for a while
SP’s family has driven the narrative for years that she is a devoted wife and “super mom” who does everything for everyone else. An offshoot of #1, the stresses of everyday life overwhelmed her to the point where she faked her own abduction just to escape. She may have planned on coming back all along or decided such after realizing life on the road wasn’t as good as her life at home.

4) - Money
Less complex and sexy but still a reason. Proponents here believe that SP (and possibly/likely KP) orchestrated the hoax knowing SP would return all along and they would sell their story to news outlets for $$$ and possibly even get a reality show or movie rights deal out of it. The family has retained multiple lawyers and PR folks but few - if any - are related to criminal matters and most are regarding entertainment and public image. KP was reportedly paid for his 20/20 appearance and there were rumblings - albeit in online forums we shan’t discuss here :) - about them angling for a reality show deal behind the scenes.

I do believe the hoax theory but lean more towards #1 with her family - especially KP - being well intentioned but naive enablers of her behavior. IMO they don’t want to believe she’s capable of this so despite all the holes in her story, they will go along with it because it’s “their Sherri” and she couldn’t possibly do that.

Excellent summary.

I would lean 1, followed by combo of 2 and 3. Then a WTF do I do now, bizzaro coverup to explain it all away.

think LE is very careful what they call a hoax after that Huskins case in Vallejo. they got their pants sued off when it turned out to be true.
Absolutely. I think they have a hunch it was a hoax but don't have any concrete proof that she faked it so it would be a legal and PR nightmare if the repeated the mistakes of the Huskins case.

Additionally, most of the information about SP's condition after she was found came from KP, not LE. It was KP who reported that she had her hair shorn and was basically beaten to a pulp and almost unrecognizable. KP and the family get salty when people question the story but I'm not sure what they expect when he says stuff like this and then she's released the next day. I get the desire to believe your wife but turning a complete blind eye to all the inconsistencies and just saying "our Sherri" would never do that is silly. I feel like KP has or had others bringing up all the holes in SP's story only to have him put his fingers in his ears and start yelling "lalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalala!"

Excellent summary.

I would lean 1, followed by combo of 2 and 3. Then a WTF do I do now, bizzaro coverup to explain it all away.

I agree. Also wonder if there was some quiet side-deal to return/repay the various monies raised by that local businessperson IIRC in order to avoid possible prosecution. It's a been a while since I thought about this case and my main feeling about it all was enormous frustration, so I may be misremembering. I do think help was warranted -- both mental-health counselling and diversity education for the nasty racist undercurrents of it all (again, may be mixing this up with another case).

IIRC, filing a false police report in California is a misdemeanor with a one year statute of limitations. I'm not sure there are any more severe crimes that might apply. I would have liked to have seen her prosecuted, but I'm sure the sheriff decided it wasn't worth it for what would probably turn out to be a $500 fine and some community service.

Acck! What is the rest of the story? I couldn't click on Part 2?!!

Edited: googled the rest. wow.

What’s interesting to me about the story is how the investigator said something to the effect of it was the worst case of torture he’s seen.

And yet it was totally self-inflicted. That speaks to both the hyperbole some use when trying to convince an audience and to the possibilities when it comes to hurting oneself in an effort to create a narrative.

What’s interesting to me about the story is how the investigator said something to the effect of it was the worst case of torture he’s seen.

And yet it was totally self-inflicted. That speaks to both the hyperbole some use when trying to convince an audience and to the possibilities when it comes to hurting oneself in an effort to create a narrative.

After reading about her browsing history on certain sites, I wondered if she hired someone to do it to her. Either that or she got the ideas from those sites. But how do you carry out that kind of damage to yourself?

After reading about her browsing history on certain sites, I wondered if she hired someone to do it to her. Either that or she got the ideas from those sites. But how do you carry out that kind of damage to yourself?

It’s not hard if you’re crazy and determined. Early on I posted to a few cases of people who caused injuries to themselves and faked abduction a.

IIRC, filing a false police report in California is a misdemeanor with a one year statute of limitations. I'm not sure there are any more severe crimes that might apply. I would have liked to have seen her prosecuted, but I'm sure the sheriff decided it wasn't worth it for what would probably turn out to be a $500 fine and some community service.

I think if it was a hoax they were not able to prove it. So they had to let it go. I think that's why they hope that the truth does come out. Even if they know nobody can be prosecuted for it.

It’s not hard if you’re crazy and determined. Early on I posted to a few cases of people who caused injuries to themselves and faked abduction a.

There are just so many easier body parts than your nose. I mean ouch. If I had to inflict injury on myself that would be just about last on my list! I mean I'd probably go for arms first, "defensive injuries" and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmu