Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! New here so I'm sure I'll be a bit clunky. Curious, if I'm the only one thinking perhaps the Perp texted KP asking if he would be home for lunch? If no reply that would give the perp(s) more time. The half wrapped gift makes me think she was caught off guard. The door bell rang, a knock on the door, an intruder that may have seen her jogging or have been watching her.

There's a video of an interview with Sherri's sister on the Sacbee website. Here.
(I thought it was just 5 pictures, but the first one is a video.)

Anyway, two observations:

- The article says the balloons are at the spot where the cell phone was found. Those balloons are tied on the fence on Sunrise Drive directly across the street from the mailboxes. It sure seems like those mailboxes are involved. They would provide an opportunity for someone to pull over and get out of their vehicle without necessarily alarming Sherri.

- She says, "It's the worst thing that could ever happen to somebody, to have to not have anything answered." The somebody she's referring to is her brother. It sounds like they're not getting much info from law enforcement.

This post is why I asked that question in my last post. It sounds like LE isn't even communicating much to the family. I just wonder why that would be.

Hi all! New here so I'm sure I'll be a bit clunky. Curious, if I'm the only one thinking perhaps the Perp texted KP asking if he would be home for lunch? If no reply that would give the perp(s) more time. The half wrapped gift makes me think she was caught off guard. The door bell rang, a knock on the door, an intruder that may have seen her jogging or have been watching her.

I've considered this as well - that she didn't text KP herself. Like maybe she'd been watched and it was known he sometimes came home.
I'd love to know if it was unusual for her to text and ask him that question.

Not an expert but I think it depends on the agency. Years ago we had a Mom go missing. She was gone for a long time...like years. She turns up, alive and well but won't make contact with the family and that LE agency never told the family she was alive.

I did look this up a few days ago and got the idea that California protocol would be to say she was alive but no more.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Yikes ... that's sad. In a case like that does LE ever inform the public that the person was located?

I've considered this as well - that she didn't text KP herself. Like maybe she'd been watched and it was known he sometimes came home.
I'd love to know if it was unusual for her to text and ask him that question.
Me too.

Yikes ... that's sad. In a case like that does LE ever inform the public that the person was located?
I don't know anymore. That case was before NAMUS and the focus on adult missing. I'm sure things have changed, I hope. And it was a small town agency.

If that happened, it seems strange that she would have her headphones and phone with her as she left the house. She would have to answer the door with them (which I think is awkward) and keep them in her possession as she was taken.

JMO

I think the phone and earbud find could have just been whomever took her ditching it. Just a theory as I think it's very plausible she was taken off guard while jogging too.

If that happened, it seems strange that she would have her headphones and phone with her as she left the house. She would have to answer the door with them (which I think is awkward) and keep them in her possession as she was taken.

JMO
I agree. Plus, I doubt the abductor would take the time to text the husband. Whatever he did to Sherri must've been done somewhere else. As far as we know, there were no signs of a struggle in the house.

I asked my husband, ex-LE, about this when it was discussed on a previous thread. His answer was, it depends. If an adult disappears and in the course of LE's investigation, it is discovered that the person walked away voluntarily*, that's not a crime. Missing person cased closed. It seems (at least when my husband was LE) that LE isn't legally bound to report back to the family. DH said he believes that most of his colleagues would place a courtesy call to next of kin indicating that missing person has been found safe, but does not wish to be contacted.

* caveat: as long as mental illness is not suspected (potential danger to oneself or others), or that the disappearance wasn't to avoid punishment for a crime or other legal action (skipping out on child support).

I'm going to say this just simply to try to get it off my mind:
Ever since Sherri went missing I cannot get Amber Dubois out of my mind. Opportunistic perp pulls over and threatens her and she does what he says and gets in the car out of fear. No witnesses, either.
Just something I can't shake.

I walk every day to our community mailbox, about a block away. I always take my phone. I think it's a fair point that she may have jogged at 11:00am and then walked to get the mail later, with her phone. Maybe she saw the mail truck go by while she was wrapping the gift.
If someone was stalking her, it's possible they obtained the code to the keypad (if there is one). They could've spied with binoculars, or a telescope, and watched as SP or KP tapped it in. Someone could've been waiting in her house. She may have still had her phone on her, or attached to her in some way.

I think it's possible someone could have entered the house in some fashion, via unlocked door, keypad, key under the welcome mat, etc. They could have easily waited inside the house until she returned. If they were holding a weapon of some sort, she may have not had a chance to react, leaving no real sign of a struggle and no visible crime scene.

Was the mail from that day found inside their home? If not, was the mail still in the box?

The only thing LE has said is one officer stated in an interview that "the last we knew is that she was jogging on this road right here behind us and her cell phone connections went dead around noon. She hadn't been seen from, from that time." (Source.)

I think he meant to say "her cell phone communications ceased," but who knows. Either way, no cell phone usage after noon.

I'd like to know if that means approximately noon, or if she used the phone in some fashion between text to husband and noon.

In regards to the text rec'd by SP by the husband @ 1 (I can't remember the exact min)

There are times when for whatever reason *usually because the cell is out and about using 4g. I have texted my husband or son and didn't realize that our min were "out".
I don't understand how to explain it. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the appropriate wording could translate what I am trying to convey.

Snipped- This happens all the time at our house and near where we live. I often have enough service to get a text if the phone is left in the windowsill upstairs or on the back porch or insert other random spot. Anywhere else, it's not coming through. Sometimes I get them when I move my phone to one of those specific places and other times I get a text on Monday inviting us to a cookout Saturday night. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the timing, they just seem to get lost in space for a while. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about cellular technology to actually explain why this happens, but it seems to be caused by crappy reception in my case.

There's a video of an interview with Sherri's sister on the Sacbee website. Here.
(I thought it was just 5 pictures, but the first one is a video.)

Anyway, two observations:

- The article says the balloons are at the spot where the cell phone was found. Those balloons are tied on the fence on Sunrise Drive directly across the street from the mailboxes. It sure seems like those mailboxes are involved. They would provide an opportunity for someone to pull over and get out of their vehicle without necessarily alarming Sherri.

- She says, "It's the worst thing that could ever happen to somebody, to have to not have anything answered." The somebody she's referring to is her brother. It sounds like they're not getting much info from law enforcement.

I watched the video again. I didn't get the impression they were frustrated with LE. I thought she was referring to a vague "not knowing" what happened to his wife. Still, a week or two later, and they still seem to be at square one.

JMO

Imagine for a minute that SP did go jogging at around 11, as KP suggested would sound about right. Then she arrives home, begins to wrap the gift for him, and either she realizes she's almost out of tape or she wants to throw in KP's favorite candy or something before she finishes. So...she hasn't changed out of her running gear yet, enjoys the idea of another quick jog to a nearby store (I admit I'm VERY unfamiliar with the area and don't even know if this would've put her in the right direction if she was headed "to town") and grabs her earbuds once more. It's then, on this second run if you will, that the unsub gets his opportunity. I haven't discounted the stalker theory just yet, but opportunity seems to be the usual culprit in these missing persons cases. It has to be something simple out of sight that makes this case seem so perplexing.

Would this include SP's ex-husband?

I would think so. He'd be "and others." Since he's not named a POI or suspect, he's off limits. Of course what we do on our own time is our business, but we can't discuss him here. For good reason, IMO. Assuming he has nothing to do with it, can you imagine having your name linked to a missing person case - a potential crime - for no other reason than he was married to the missing person nearly 10 years ago.

The first reports said she was seen out jogging or walking by several neighbors @ 2PM. Later they said late morning or early afternoon. This makes me think LE changed the time after they looked at the phone and found it had been inactive since 12:00. I'd like to know how many people say they saw her @ 2PM and if those people still say it was @ 2PM. Did anyone say they saw her late morning or did they change the time only because of the phone?
Perhaps the 2PM sighting wasn't her..but how would several people get it wrong? Maybe they assumed it was her because the jogger had on a pink top and looked like SP. Something is off with the changing timeline.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I asked my husband, ex-LE, about this when it was discussed on a previous thread. His answer was, it depends. If an adult disappears and in the course of LE's investigation, it is discovered that the person walked away voluntarily*, that's not a crime. Missing person cased closed. It seems (at least when my husband was LE) that LE isn't legally bound to report back to the family. DH said he believes that most of his colleagues would place a courtesy call to next of kin indicating that missing person has been found safe, but does not wish to be contacted.

* caveat: as long as mental illness is not suspected (potential danger to oneself or others), or that the disappearance wasn't to avoid punishment for a crime or other legal action (skipping out on child support).

Can you imagine the uproar in this case if the public found out LE could have but did not let the family at least know she was alive?

Can you please name me some cases of missing / potentially abducted women where LE stopped searches after one week? I'm racking my brain and don't recall a case like this. I keep thinking it must be because they know what happened, but then days are ticking by with no updates...I'd be livid if it was my family member that just didn't seem important enough to find. Sorry if I sound angry, I've been trying to wrap my brain around this case for 2 weeks ... I feel like they gave up too soon but at the same time trying to keep faith that they aren't letting it go cold.

Can you please name me some cases of missing / potentially abducted women where LE stopped searches after one week? I'm racking my brain and don't recall a case like this. I keep thinking it must be because they know what happened, but then days are ticking by with no updates...I'd be livid if it was my family member that just didn't seem important enough to find. Sorry if I sound angry, I've been trying to wrap my brain around this case for 2 weeks ... I feel like they gave up too soon but at the same time trying to keep faith that they aren't letting it go cold.
I think there are many cases that LE doesn't search for long (or thoroughly) especially if they believe the MP left voluntarily. If they believe she was abducted and removed from the area, where would they search? They have already searched the surrounding area and RSOs. They need a tip to focus the search at this point. IMO

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member