Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If SP wasn't specifically targeted (ie. revenge, ransom, etc.), I still believe it's possible she was picked up for trafficking. (To all the non-believers, this is MY opinion, but one also shared repeatedly on the local FB crime page). I welcome all theories. But it would confirm the ransom letter stating that the abductors did not know who they had (34 yr. old mom of 2, not a college student jogging in the area). This case almost immediate received national coverage and when the abductors realized she was not an ideal victim, they could've contacted the family for a ransom. IMO, local LE would've likely shot it down. A few days later (IIRC, the 7th is when the ransom benefactor first contacted media), the attempt to turn it into a "kidnap for ransom" was made. SP could have even suggested it to her abductors as a way to spare her life. MOO

She could have, and if it's true, thank God that an offer was "out" there to give the perps a way out.

I think when the deadline passed, and the website changed it from a "we'll pay you for the exchange no questions asked" to a reward for anyone that could lead them to Sherri, it was a not so subtle prodding to the people that had her. I think they may have been in contact or negotiation of some sort prior to this, but maybe it stalled and there was panic, and CG changed the message to convey, hey, we make a deal now, or your days are numbered...if that makes sense.

I still get the feeling that she was not specifically targeted because they knew anything about her in-law's finances or anything of that nature -- I haven't read anything that leads me to that. But the fact that she's 100 lbs, 5 ft. 3, and could pass for 17 easily (with or without makeup!) jogging everyday leads me to lean towards trafficing or general sick RSO/s.

I do have a strong suspicion that the reverse ransom was paid to someone for her release. And I suspect that SP is beyond grateful and will be silent or fuzzy on details, either as a term of her release, or out of outright fear.

Does anyone know if a rape kit would have been mandatory at the hospital for this type of situation and if that would be something that LE would have the right to know or release? Sorry if it's been asked earlier, I can't keep up with these threads!

Do y'all think this could be related?

$20K reward offered as sheriff vows to capture jail escapees

SAN JOSE, Calif. — A Northern California sheriff is promising to capture a pair of men who sawed their way out of a California jail and vanished late Thanksgiving Eve.

Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith told reporters Friday that authorities are using helicopters, dogs and other means as they search night and day for the two men. A $20,000 reward has been posted for the capture of Rogelio Chavez and Laron Campbell.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...capees/ar-AAkM9b3?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Just thinking that the significant others of these two might be trying to round up money to leave the country when they escaped. . .

Agreed... mostly ;) My only gripe is that it would be so easy to confirm some information to clear up that this is not a hoax/voluntary missing etc.

I've not decided yet. I just can't shake the odds from this yet.

If a ransom was paid, and LE is/will not be privy to any details. No one in this case will be sharing any incriminating details. To do so would put them in a legal bind, so to speak.

But questions remain about what happened to the 34-year-old mother of two since her disappearance on November 2.
Did she know her abductors? Where was she held? Was the abduction planned? What was the motive?
"The investigation is far from over," Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko said. "In fact, it has only begun a new chapter."

[video=cnn;us/2016/11/25/missing-jogger-found-california-sherri-papini-ekr-orig-vstop.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/25/us/missing-california-jogger-found/index.html?sr=twCNN112616missing-california-jogger-found0117AMVODtopPhoto&linkId=31586375[/video]

sorry the url will only post as a video link. From CNN

I'm right there with you. I heard the mail truck puttering around the neighborhood one evening last week and assumed the tap-tap at the window was the mail carrier knocking quietly so as not to wake any sleeping kids. So, I opened the door.

And there stood a stranger, all in black, asking how to get to Montgomery County, Maryland, claiming he doesn't know his last name, has no money, has no ID, that his family is dead, that he's afraid of the police, that he arrived in town via a friend's car, that the friend was shot in the face, "but it's no big deal because it happens all the time."

We have a Ring doorbell that records activity on our porch. The recording showed me entering the house with our dog at 7:39 and him walking up to the porch at 7:42.

We called the police, but they couldn't locate him.

I'm still afraid to take out our dog after dark. And I hate that the one time I didn't look before opening the door I really, really should have looked.

If I'd been through what Sherri has been through, I'd pack up, move, change my name, and vanish from social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You my friend are very patient. Lol.

Because that door would have been closed before he had the chance to say Hello or I need help.

Lol

You my friend are very patient. Lol.

Because that door would have been closed before he had the chance to say Hello or I need help.

Lol

I know. It's the politeness that's been trained into me. It haunts me that I didn't just close the door and call for help.

I'm right there with you. I heard the mail truck puttering around the neighborhood one evening last week and assumed the tap-tap at the window was the mail carrier knocking quietly so as not to wake any sleeping kids. So, I opened the door.

And there stood a stranger, all in black, asking how to get to Montgomery County, Maryland, claiming he doesn't know his last name, has no money, has no ID, that his family is dead, that he's afraid of the police, that he arrived in town via a friend's car, that the friend was shot in the face, "but it's no big deal because it happens all the time."

We have a Ring doorbell that records activity on our porch. The recording showed me entering the house with our dog at 7:39 and him walking up to the porch at 7:42.

We called the police, but they couldn't locate him.

I'm still afraid to take out our dog after dark. And I hate that the one time I didn't look before opening the door I really, really should have looked.

If I'd been through what Sherri has been through, I'd pack up, move, change my name, and vanish from social media.

I told my husband several weeks ago I wanted the Ring Doorbell. It has been heavily advertised and I think it would definitely prevent a lot of robberies. I'm so glad you are okay! I agree that Sherri should move, change names and remove herself from SM! Do you think LE is putting her life in danger by doing what they are doing? I mean obviously they reached some kind of agreement for her to have been released alive.

I know. It's the politeness that's been trained into me. It haunts me that I didn't just close the door and call for help.

No worries. It definitely does happen. We can no longer feel safe to assist a person ineed.

That alarmed me too, but SP didn't release the photo did she? She or KP may have been asked and given permission, but their faces should be blurred IMO. Who felt the need to post photos of her children? Now the kidnappers know what the kids look like- if they didn't already.

I am beginning to agree more and more with parents who refuse to post pictures of their children on social media.

The kids are too young to know what was going on, but if they were told mommy is coming home by Thanksgiving thank goodness she did! I have never promised my kids anyone will be anywhere, because accidents happen!

No location has been given of where she is exactly- for good reason! Not only would I refuse to return to that home, I would delete all accounts and wouldn't ever post anything on social media again.

It would take a lifetime for me to feel any degree of safety for me my husband, my children and my family.

Thinking about her sister, I would think she is fearful for herself. ESPECIALLY if a ransom was paid. I would not want to be speaking to the media, I'd want to go into hiding.

IMO it's a big deal if SP was a planned out kidnapping and held for ransom?

They haven't been captured yet- I'd want armed security following me around 24/7 if I was an immediate family member.

So many questions.
People are all different, maybe I would be considered paranoid for feeling like this, but I would be freaking out! Happy I had my sister back, but very afraid for myself and my family as well.

It's not like she just returned home from a trip and normal life will resume once the laundry is done.
Or is it?
I would need serious therapy!
jmo

*http://www.redding.com/news/local/Security-experts-weigh-in-on-Papini-case-403058276.html?d=mobile

Her kids have been in all the family pics that were posted from the start of this all.

Could someone offer any insight into what The Sacramento Bee recently reported? Why are these search warrants sealed? What out of state relationships could have prompted this?

"Before Papini reappeared, investigators said they had spoken with her friends and acquaintances, as well as “people Sherri has had past relationships with” to try to find her. Investigators said they had gone out of state tracking down leads.

Detectives have authored close to 20 search warrants – some of which are sealed – and they said they’re examining cellphone records, bank accounts, email and social media profiles. Investigators have declined to discuss what prompted them to file the search warrants or why detectives have traveled out of state."

Just thinking out loud here... is it possible the captors let SP go Bc of the swift and widespread coverage of this in the media? I ask because when the Amish girls from ogdensburg, NY were kidnapped a couple years ago, their captors released them Bc of the huge amount of attention the case got and became scared they'd get caught.

As for motive... California rural areas (wooded and non wooded) are in the process of being infested with cartel grow operations and it's been posing a safety risk for hikers/joggers/ or any random person who stumbles across something they shouldn't have seen. I wonder if that's what happened when SP was running? Maybe saw one of those operations? Could be the sensitive information about the case they aren't releasing....

She could have, and if it's true, thank God that an offer was "out" there to give the perps a way out.

I think when the deadline passed, and the website changed it from a "we'll pay you for the exchange no questions asked" to a reward for anyone that could lead them to Sherri, it was a not so subtle prodding to the people that had her. I think they may have been in contact or negotiation of some sort prior to this, but maybe it stalled and there was panic, and CG changed the message to convey, hey, we make a deal now, or your days are numbered...if that makes sense.

I still get the feeling that she was not specifically targeted because they knew anything about her in-law's finances or anything of that nature -- I haven't read anything that leads me to that. But the fact that she's 100 lbs, 5 ft. 3, and could pass for 17 easily (with or without makeup!) jogging everyday leads me to lean towards trafficing or general sick RSO/s.

I do have a strong suspicion that the reverse ransom was paid to someone for her release. And I suspect that SP is beyond grateful and will be silent or fuzzy on details, either as a term of her release, or out of outright fear.

Does anyone know if a rape kit would have been mandatory at the hospital for this type of situation and if that would be something that LE would have the right to know or release? Sorry if it's been asked earlier, I can't keep up with these threads!

A person would rather call about a 50k reward and not a 50k ransom.

Because ransom means prison time when you are caught.

But a reward means that you stumbled into a vacant property and found a woman tied up. (Wink wink)

So this means that if more than one person is involved and want the cash. Then they would probably find someone to supposedly stumble across the victim and collect the reward money.

Rather then replying for the sake of saying that I'm the culprit and I want the ransom money. Jmo

Just curious for those who may still be inclined toward "hoax", have any of you ever followed an abduction case that turned out to in fact be a hoax, where the victim was located battered and chained? I know it's in movies all the time but I mean in actual, real life. It just seems to me that's awfully far to go, to willfully hurt yourself or have someone else do it, to make your story believable.

And just as an aside, in the speculative scenario that this is a hoax, where was she staying, how was she buying food and where did the chain/restraints come from? Unless she had a few bills tucked in her jogging pants, someone else would have had to be involved in this.

Personally, I haven't really made up my mind yet about this situation. I feel like more information is needed before I can say one way or the other. But, I did want to bring up the Tawana Brawley case because you asked about other hoax cases. The circumstances of that case are not exactly identical but she went missing for four days and then was found unconscious and lying in a garbage bag. Her clothing was torn and burned, her body smeared with feces and there were racial epithets written on her torso with a black substance. She claimed three white men sexually assaulted her. Forensic testing found no evidence of sexual assault. Further testing of the condition she was found in poked other holes in her story and it was believed the epithets were written by Brawley herself. The whole thing turned out to be a hoax, likely for money. Like I said, the circumstances aren't exactly the same, but obviously some people are capable of doing things to themselves for whatever reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations

If a ransom was paid, and LE is/will not be privy to any details. No one in this case will be sharing any incriminating details. To do so would put them in a legal bind, so to speak.

Interesting. I'm curious about the legal details. Hypothetically, say my loved one was kidnapped and held for ransom and the kidnappers threatened to kill my loved one if I told the police they were demanding a ransom. And say I am a wealthy woman, so I retain a lawyer and a ransom negotiator to get my loved one back. If I pay the ransom and my loved one is released alive and I don't tell the police about paying the ransom, what could I be charged with? Impeding a police investigation maybe? What else?

(All hypothetically, of course, I am NOT wealthy, so no one go getting any ideas :laughing:)

The money is still available.

"An anonymous donor even offered a six-figure reward for the return of the young mother, and Secret Witness of Shasta County is still offering $10,000 for information leading to an arrest in the case."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-sherri-papini-excited-home-article-1.2888161

Well, at least the Secret Witness of Shasta County money ($10k) is still available. The way I read that the anonymous donor six figure reward was NOT still on offer.

Could someone offer any insight into what The Sacramento Bee recently reported? Why are these search warrants sealed? What out of state relationships could have prompted this?

"Before Papini reappeared, investigators said they had spoken with her friends and acquaintances, as well as “people Sherri has had past relationships with” to try to find her. Investigators said they had gone out of state tracking down leads.

Detectives have authored close to 20 search warrants – some of which are sealed – and they said they’re examining cellphone records, bank accounts, email and social media profiles. Investigators have declined to discuss what prompted them to file the search warrants or why detectives have traveled out of state."
Hello and welcome to WS, MJB.

Not sure if you've heard of the My Favorite Murder podcast? They discuss... well, murders. They've actually mentioned websleuths a couple of times (in glowing terms!).

Anyway... they have a phrase that they say a lot that women (and men, but let's be honest, mainly women) should take on board: *F* Politeness. This isn't that say in your everyday life you avoid being nice to people. It's about not putting yourself in situations that you feel are sketchy or that you don't want to be in because you're being polite. If you think someone is shady, run. If someone asks for help and you don't like the look of the situation, don't help. If some guy asks you to help him with his boat and then it turns out his boat is elsewhere, don't be polite because you've just run into Ted Bundy.

If someone comes to your door and your immediate feeling is unease, *F* politeness. Shut the door. Shut it. Don't feel bad, shut it.

Stay safe.

I hope I don't hit offences for the choice starred words because I genuinely think it's quite an important message. Being polite to someone is not as important as being safe.

Really sorry this happened to you. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member