Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a ransom WAS actually paid, and that's why SP was released. Maybe that's also why KP was confident the kids would see their mom by Thanksgiving?

In the latest presser, the Sheriff stated that no ransom was paid. Which is why so many people are scratching their heads.:thinking:
Are you saying that the Sheriff wasn't truthful or possibly didn't know?

Does anyone know if a rape kit would have been mandatory at the hospital for this type of situation and if that would be something that LE would have the right to know or release? Sorry if it's been asked earlier, I can't keep up with these threads!

no law enforcement cannot make someone submit to a rape kit without consent.

If a ransom was paid, and LE is/will not be privy to any details. No one in this case will be sharing any incriminating details. To do so would put them in a legal bind, so to speak.

How would it put them in a legal bind?

Interesting. I'm curious about the legal details. Hypothetically, say my loved one was kidnapped and held for ransom and the kidnappers threatened to kill my loved one if I told the police they were demanding a ransom. And say I am a wealthy woman, so I retain a lawyer and a ransom negotiator to get my loved one back. If I pay the ransom and my loved one is released alive and I don't tell the police about paying the ransom, what could I be charged with? Impeding a police investigation maybe? What else?

(All hypothetically, of course, I am NOT wealthy, so no one go getting any ideas :laughing:)

I would be more worried about the IRS. Lol

Just kidding.

Interesting. I'm curious about the legal details. Hypothetically, say my loved one was kidnapped and held for ransom and the kidnappers threatened to kill my loved one if I told the police they were demanding a ransom. And say I am a wealthy woman, so I retain a lawyer and a ransom negotiator to get my loved one back. If I pay the ransom and my loved one is released alive and I don't tell the police about paying the ransom, what could I be charged with? Impeding a police investigation maybe? What else?

(All hypothetically, of course, I am NOT wealthy, so no one go getting any ideas :laughing:)

I believe Gitana1 said legally, Sherri is not obligated to share anything other than what she has told them already. Hopefully she will confirm, if I am wrong.

Wondering why some search warrants are sealed...wouldn't they all be sealed, since none have been released? As far as I know, anyway...

I know. It's the politeness that's been trained into me. It haunts me that I didn't just close the door and call for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were raised to be polite. That is what perpetrators count on, before we realize it we are victims.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_Fear
Read the PINS section!
Actually I recommend that everyone should read this book.
I checked it out at my local library, then bought it for my daughter.

Thanks for linking this article. Not being local to the area, I have to admit I was surprised by many of the things discovered in following this case. Not knocking the area, but why I've really appreciated hearing from the locals here on WS. IMO, issues stemming from AB109 and Prop54 have made LE's job very challenging. Many communities, including my own, struggle with crimes due to the increase in drug trafficking (meth, heroine, etc.). But the grow fields and trafficking (sex and human), affecting men, women, and children, are more prevalent in CA. The article noted the abductors were 2 women (aged 34 and 43), also looking for 2 men who may connected. IMO, evidentiary that women are involved in these abductions (possibly because they appear less suspecting than their male counterparts).

The Calaveras County Sheriff’s Department this week announced the arrest of two women. Guadalupe “Lupe” Arrellano, 43, and Medarda “Daniella” Urbieta Estudillo, 34, were arrested Sept. 14 in Modesto and charged with human trafficking, kidnapping, battery with serious bodily injury, making terrorist threats and drug charges, authorities said.

http://ktla.com/2016/09/22/4-brothe...al-marijuana-farm-2-women-arrested-in-norcal/

Shasta county is well known for marijuana cultivation and the presence of major drug cartels with large grows on Forest lands. From the beginning I've wondered if what happened to her is the same as this:
http://ktla.com/2016/09/22/4-brothe...al-marijuana-farm-2-women-arrested-in-norcal/

Also, late October into early November is prime harvest time.

I'm pretty sure the officer said, in his presser, that LE provided a phone for her to call her husband. It's possible he beat others to the scene, but I'm pretty sure there were local responding officers before he arrived.

You are right, the first reports that came out said an officer provided her with a phone to call KP and they had an emotional conversation.

Not sure if you've heard of the My Favorite Murder podcast? They discuss... well, murders. They've actually mentioned websleuths a couple of times (in glowing terms!).

Anyway... they have a phrase that they say a lot that women (and men, but let's be honest, mainly women) should take on board: *F* Politeness. This isn't that say in your everyday life you avoid being nice to people. It's about not putting yourself in situations that you feel are sketchy or that you don't want to be in because you're being polite. If you think someone is shady, run. If someone asks for help and you don't like the look of the situation, don't help. If some guy asks you to help him with his boat and then it turns out his boat is elsewhere, don't be polite because you've just run into Ted Bundy.

If someone comes to your door and your immediate feeling is unease, *F* politeness. Shut the door. Shut it. Don't feel bad, shut it.

Stay safe.

I hope I don't hit offences for the choice starred words because I genuinely think it's quite an important message. Being polite to someone is not as important as being safe.

Really sorry this happened to you. x

Thanks!!

I'm going to a book club tonight and I want to remember this!

I was born in Canada and my dad's family is all Canadian...a polite people.

Wondering why some search warrants are sealed...wouldn't they all be sealed, since none have been released? As far as I know, anyway...

Where did you read that some search warrants were sealed? Are these new search warrants since she was found or old ones from before?

Link, please and thank you, and sorry if it was posted and I missed it, I can barely keep up with this thread!

Hmm.....BBM

Chavez, 33, and Campbell, 26, are facing possible life sentences if convicted of burglary, extortion, false imprisonment and other charges they were being held on. Chavez had been held at the jail since August and Campbell since February 2015.

Do y'all think this could be related?

$20K reward offered as sheriff vows to capture jail escapees

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...capees/ar-AAkM9b3?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Just thinking that the significant others of these two might be trying to round up money to leave the country when they escaped. . .

A person would rather call about a 50k reward and not a 50k ransom.

Because ransom means prison time when you are caught.

But a reward means that you stumbled into a vacant property and found a woman tied up. (Wink wink)

So this means that if more than one person is involved and want the cash. Then they would probably find someone to supposedly stumble across the victim and collect the reward money.

Rather then replying for the sake of saying that I'm the culprit and I want the ransom money. Jmo

Yep very well stated.

Where did you read that some search warrants were sealed? Are these new search warrants since she was found or old ones from before?

Link, please and thank you, and sorry if it was posted and I missed it, I can barely keep up with this thread!

Before Papini reappeared, investigators said they had spoken with her friends and acquaintances, as well as “people Sherri has had past relationships with” to try to find her. Investigators said they had gone out of state tracking down leads.

Detectives have authored close to 20 search warrants – some of which are sealed – and they said they’re examining cellphone records, bank accounts, email and social media profiles. Investigators have declined to discuss what prompted them to file the search warrants or why detectives have traveled out of state. Bosenko said Friday he had no new information to release.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article117110028.html#storylink=cpy

A person would rather call about a 50k reward and not a 50k ransom.

Because ransom means prison time when you are caught.

But a reward means that you stumbled into a vacant property and found a woman tied up. (Wink wink)

So this means that if more than one person is involved and want the cash. Then they would probably find someone to supposedly stumble across the victim and collect the reward money.

Rather then replying for the sake of saying that I'm the culprit and I want the ransom money. Jmo

So was the woman that couldn't stop to help Sherri so called LE from the side of the road, part of the plan?

If she escaped and made it to the road? Then wouldn't she have had to stay and lead police back to the house that she escaped from?

If she had been blindfolded, she couldn't.

Here is link to a very recent story. This woman was kidnapped for ransom, LE paid the ransom, made an arrest shortly after. It appears that whoever held this poor woman then executed her and dumped her on the highway.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/21/abducted-washington-woman-found-dead.html

Sherri's family was smart in using a professional negotiator.

Wait, they used a professional negotiator? When did that come out?!?

Just curious for those who may still be inclined toward "hoax", have any of you ever followed an abduction case that turned out to in fact be a hoax, where the victim was located battered and chained? I know it's in movies all the time but I mean in actual, real life. It just seems to me that's awfully far to go, to willfully hurt yourself or have someone else do it, to make your story believable.

And just as an aside, in the speculative scenario that this is a hoax, where was she staying, how was she buying food and where did the chain/restraints come from? Unless she had a few bills tucked in her jogging pants, someone else would have had to be involved in this.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/32...in-simpsonville-motel-room-filed-false-report

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...invasion-charged-faking-terrifying-story.html

http://news10.com/2016/07/23/rachael-mattice-arrested-charged-with-falsely-reporting-an-incident/

And then there's the cases of people who have voluntarily disappeared for long periods, and then later resurfaced, and it;s hard to tell how they did it and survived. But they do. Sometimes they have help form an unnamed source but other times they get help on the street:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/pen...man-reappears/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3646397.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-August-2012-1

I don't know if Sherri was abducted or not.....If she was if I were her and her husband I would be spending the Go Fund Me money on securing their home or moving as these two Hispanic women may come to their home(I think I have seen the address on line), they also know where Keith is employed.....these women could abduct their children (God forbid) and Sherri again....I would certainly be giving these possibilities some thought if I were them....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha