GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!

I have always had suspicions about this case and always was 98% sure this was some sort of stunt. I never thought we'd have actual answers, though, or see her face charges.

It will be interesting to see what she's been up to since her miraculous reappearance.

"We love Sherri and are appalled by the way in which law enforcement ambushed her this afternoon in a dramatic and unnecessary manner in front of her children," the emailed statement read. "If requested, Sherri would have fully complied and come to the police station, as she has done multiple times before, where this could have been handled in a more appropriate way."

Sherri Papini's family issues statement following her arrest, charges she faked kidnapping

Yes, and that is a part of this tangled tale I still have questions about.
The actions of this fraudster are more evidence to me to never underestimate the deception and damage a person with a serious mental health condition can do. Whether SP had an officially diagnosed mental health condition or not, I believe it is painfully obvious she has one. The havoc she left in the wake of this is one for the books, and IMHO only explainable with a deep-seated personality disorder. AND those are he!! to live with, both for the person with the disorder, PLUS and ESPECIALLY for everyone else in that person’s life.

Please note I am not a professional mental health expert, nor can ANYone diagnose from afar. Speculation about a specific disorder should only be done by VIs with this expertise, and my guess is they would hesitate to do so without personally examining the person. My comment is just to posit that IMHO something in SP’s emotional make-up is acutely off to have engaged in such a far-reaching, dramatic and damaging scam.

While I am not a mental health professional, I do have to wonder if it's at all possible that there isn't any sort of mental health issue at all, and she's just a foul, self-absorbed, bold faced liar?

I'm glad they gave her enough rope, and the truth is finally out.
I feel sorry for her kids. What a repulsive legacy she's left for them.

"We love Sherri and are appalled by the way in which law enforcement ambushed her this afternoon in a dramatic and unnecessary manner in front of her children," the emailed statement read. "If requested, Sherri would have fully complied and come to the police station, as she has done multiple times before, where this could have been handled in a more appropriate way."

Sherri Papini's family issues statement following her arrest, charges she faked kidnapping

Sounds like she and Keith are still together.

Like she 'fully complied' when asked to tell the truth?

Okay - who has Pacer and can get into U.S. District/Eastern in Shasta County out of Redding? I would like to keep record of her hearings.

TIA if someone can help me with this! :)

edited to add:

Federal U.S. District Court/Eastern Case #3:22-mj-0001 DMC Dennis M. Cota, Magistrate Judge

Last edited:
Yes, and that is a part of this tangled tale I still have questions about.
The actions of this fraudster are more evidence to me to never underestimate the deception and damage a person with a serious mental health condition can do. Whether SP had an officially diagnosed mental health condition or not, I believe it is painfully obvious she has one. The havoc she left in the wake of this is one for the books, and IMHO only explainable with a deep-seated personality disorder. AND those are he!! to live with, both for the person with the disorder, PLUS and ESPECIALLY for everyone else in that person’s life.

Please note I am not a professional mental health expert, nor can ANYone diagnose from afar. Speculation about a specific disorder should only be done by VIs with this expertise, and my guess is they would hesitate to do so without personally examining the person. My comment is just to posit that IMHO something in SP’s emotional make-up is acutely off to have engaged in such a far-reaching, dramatic and damaging scam.

Hey I totally agree with you! But I think this woman just wanted to be with boyfriend. Didn't intend to stay away so long! Got caught up a d just.lied....she seems a narcissist to me!

Well, that was a weird ending to this one. We all suspected that this wasn't an abduction but wow, just wow...

Weird that her husband reported her missing right away.

Weird that she went to such lengths to hide a simple affair.

Weird random stranger offers a huge reward.

Weird that her BF didn't come forward right away and likely participated in the fraud- who could brand someone even if they asked them to?

That she kept this up for years....

Weird that she doubled down when given the opportunity to come clean.

So the DNA match to the bottle found in his trash was not confirming she had been there but confirmed that he was the match to the DNA found on her underwear.

"The case finally broke in 2020, according to the complaint. When Papini was hospitalized in Woodland upon her return, investigators collected male DNA from her underwear and sweatpants that did not match Keith Papini's.

On March 19, 2020, the California Department of Justice's Familial Search Committee voted to release to investigators the results of a DNA search using that sample and matching those on file, according to the complaint.

The DNA came back as a "familial match" to a man who is referred to as "Person 2" in the complaint, and who had two living biological sons. One of them, the ex-boyfriend, caught their attention, according to the complaint, because he had shared a joint AOL email account with Sherri Papini and had conducted financial transactions with her.

In June 2020, FBI agents collected a discarded bottle of Honest Honey Green Tea from the ex-boyfriend's trash in Costa Mesa, the complaint said. The DNA at the mouth of the bottle, investigators said, was a match. That August, the investigators said they interviewed the ex-boyfriend and he provided extensive details that fit the physical evidence in the case and exposed Sherri Papini's story as a fabrication, according to the complaint."

In the Criminal Complaint it said that he went to Thanksgiving Dinner at 11:00 a.m. (or 12:00) in San Pedro after dropping her off. It's irrelevant to the case, I suppose, but how could he do that after driving 7 hours north and 7 hours to return south?!
RSBM
She was found about 4:30 a.m., I believe? I’d have to look back at the exact time. Yolo county to San Pedro would be under 7 hours, so he could make it for Thanksgiving dinner. Jmo, I am too lazy to look up all those old msm articles

So the DNA match to the bottle found in his trash was not confirming she had been there but confirmed that he was the match to the DNA found on her underwear.

"The case finally broke in 2020, according to the complaint. When Papini was hospitalized in Woodland upon her return, investigators collected male DNA from her underwear and sweatpants that did not match Keith Papini's.

On March 19, 2020, the California Department of Justice's Familial Search Committee voted to release to investigators the results of a DNA search using that sample and matching those on file, according to the complaint.

The DNA came back as a "familial match" to a man who is referred to as "Person 2" in the complaint, and who had two living biological sons. One of them, the ex-boyfriend, caught their attention, according to the complaint, because he had shared a joint AOL email account with Sherri Papini and had conducted financial transactions with her.

In June 2020, FBI agents collected a discarded bottle of Honest Honey Green Tea from the ex-boyfriend's trash in Costa Mesa, the complaint said. The DNA at the mouth of the bottle, investigators said, was a match. That August, the investigators said they interviewed the ex-boyfriend and he provided extensive details that fit the physical evidence in the case and exposed Sherri Papini's story as a fabrication, according to the complaint."
Also weird- they knew this was all fake in August 2020 but no arrest until 2022. I think they we going to let her off until the victims comp fund request triggered the criminal charges.

This may be caselaw in the USA , I can’t comment on that because I don’t know but in the U.K. this is ABSOLUTELY the offence of Obstruction because there’s a criminal investigation taking place about the alleged abduction of a young mum who was subsequently missing and because of the details and circumstances of the case ( you have to go back and read up on the way she staged various things to add to LE thinking it was an abduction), and the fact that her (ex) boyfriend knew that she was reporting missing and probably the subject of an abduction, then he continued to allow her to stay with him and took part by branding her, and at no time once he became aware of the police investigation into her whereabouts , did he contact LE to tell them otherwise or to say she is safe and not abducted, he has embroiled himself into the offence . It could even be a joint enterprise offence if he knew her intentions from the start. And then we have offences of wasting police time and resources. This is not a case of a person missing and being allowed to be missing thus what has he done wrong. The reason it’s not is because of the way in which the investigation started based upon the way it was staged by Papini to look like an abduction, not simply a missing person. And even if you’re not convinced about that part, once she was found, she never told the truth and continued to let LE investigate for years and he comes into that also because he knew and said nothing, even when she went public and said I WAS ABDUCTED and it was all over news , social media etc and she continued the charade and at that point he definitely knew and got involved with the offence by branding her to make it seem more probable that an abduction took place potentially for human trafficking and yet he still DID NOT contact LE and tell them what he knew . He’s either a material witness or Co conspirator . So I’m sorry but I don’t agree with you when you ask what has he done wrong and you don’t believe he has any culpability and these are my reasons why . However I do accept that you are absolutely allowed to have a different opinion. I wish you well and respect your right to feel the way you do.
I can understand why LE did not charge the ex-boyfriend with a weak obstruction charge. Unlike SP he told the FBI what really happened when they interviewed him.

If they did charge him he would be advised by counsel to not testify about his involvement in this case because it would incriminate himself. Since his testimony is key to the case against SP I don't see him being charged with anything.

If the ex-boyfriend had refused to cooperate with the FBI then perhaps they would have threatened to charge him with obstruction to nudge him in the right direction. He did cooperate so no charges of obstruction. JMO.

I can understand why LE did not charge the ex-boyfriend with a weak obstruction charge. Unlike SP he told the FBI what really happened when they interviewed him.

If they did charge him he would be advised by counsel to not testify about his involvement in this case because it would incriminate himself. Since his testimony is key to the case against SP I don't see him being charged with anything.

If the ex-boyfriend had refused to cooperate with the FBI then perhaps they would have threatened to charge him with obstruction to nudge him in the right direction. He did cooperate so no charges of obstruction. JMO.

I think odds are fairly good Sherri's gonna change her story and say what started out as a faked kidnapping to be with her lover turned into HIM holding her hostage. That way she's still a victim.

It is possible that the "ex-boyfriend" handled her underwear at some point, e.g. took them out of the dryer, moved them. It would not mean sex, necessarily.

True...but I find it hard to believe that this guy who drove 600 or 900 miles EACH WAY didn't get something in return. Plus he waited 4 years to come forward? <modsnip>

Reminds me of JL from the Suzanne Morphew case...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member