GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
California mom Sherri Papini pleads guilty to faking abduction: 'I feel very sad'

4/18/22

Sherry Papini, 39, pleaded guilty to one count each of mail fraud and lying to a federal officer, days after accepting a deal from prosecutors in connection with the fake kidnapping. The story captured headlines nationwide and cost law enforcement and the government thousands of dollars.

Her sentencing is scheduled for July 11, 2022.

Papini appeared virtually from her lawyer’s office to officially plead guilty during the 35-minute court hearing, The Sacramento Bee reported. She was reportedly near tears, as Senior U.S. District Judge William B. Shubb asked her how she felt.

@Niner

“She apologized to Shubb and added: "I’m sad. I feel very sad, your honor. I feel very sad," according to the report.”

How about overwhelming remorse or guilt?

Sad because you got caught.

Not because you stole time and money away from other missing persons cases while years of continuous lies.

What about the other lives you impacted like LE - kept away from their families/personal lives/etc because they were working on your fabricated kidnapping.
JMO

“She apologized to Shubb and added: "I’m sad. I feel very sad, your honor. I feel very sad," according to the report.”

Not because you stole time and money away from other missing persons cases while years of continuous lies.

What about the other lives you impacted like LE - kept away from their families/personal lives/etc because they were working on your fabricated kidnapping.
JMO
"I’m sad. I feel very sad, your honor. I feel very sad"
Still trying to play the innocent doe eyed victim I see. She's sad. There will be no apology from her.

California mom Sherri Papini pleads guilty to faking abduction: 'I feel very sad'

4/18/22

Sherry Papini, 39, pleaded guilty to one count each of mail fraud and lying to a federal officer, days after accepting a deal from prosecutors in connection with the fake kidnapping. The story captured headlines nationwide and cost law enforcement and the government thousands of dollars.

Her sentencing is scheduled for July 11, 2022.

Papini appeared virtually from her lawyer’s office to officially plead guilty during the 35-minute court hearing, The Sacramento Bee reported. She was reportedly near tears, as Senior U.S. District Judge William B. Shubb asked her how she felt.

@Niner
Judge Shubb doesn’t play. He was the presiding Judge during the Unabomber trial. He’s a stickler for facts and procedure. This is all my opinion having worked as a paralegal in many cases where he presided. She got the toughest Judge in the Eastern District of California.

Judge Shubb doesn’t play. He was the presiding Judge during the Unabomber trial. He’s a stickler for facts and procedure. This is all my opinion having worked as a paralegal in many cases where he presided. She got the toughest Judge in the Eastern District of California.

When the judge asked her how she felt, she replied "I feel sad."?? MOO, that's a response a very young child would give. I was expecting...I'm ashamed, embarrassed, so sorry for all I put people through...but, I feel sad?? I hope there's a very good psychologist at whatever prison she is assigned. She needs some serious tough love and help. AMOO

14 wouldn't be nearly enough IMO but one can only hope... from the above document

6. Sentencing Range: The parties estimate, but do not stipulate, that the defendant’s sentencing range will be 8-14 months (The defendant understands that if the criminal history category differs from the parties’ estimate, her Guidelines sentencing range may differ from that set forth here.)

So she goes from a possible 20 years to 8-14 months, more than likely?? Outrageous!!

So she goes from a possible 20 years to 8-14 months, more than likely?? Outrageous!!

in mho, 20 years is a bit cruel and unusual for this crime.
I don't want to minimize the effect her story had on the community and police.
I believe that the detectives are as smart as many of the Websleuthers here, and probably didn't buy in to her story to the extent that they went whole-hog looking for two foul-mouthed, suburb prowling, mask-wearing, female Hispanic "abductors" armed with branding equipment.
In the end it boils down to a sad woman dreaming about escaping her married life to live in harmony with a former lover. Ho hum...
The problem with SP is her pin-head mind that actually thought she was out-witting people that are highly-experienced in human behavior.
If she were in jail for a year, that'd be sufficient I'd think.

I'm still interested in whether the husband was complicit in pushing SP's story when he knew it was false, especially on national TV.
That seems to be a more egregious infraction. worthy of some type of significant sentence.

Last edited:
I believe that the detectives are as smart as many of the Websleuthers here, and probably didn't buy in to her story to the extent that they went whole-hog looking for two foul-mouthed, suburb prowling, mask-wearing, female Hispanic "abductors" armed with branding equipment.
In the end it boils down to a sad woman dreaming about escaping her married life to live in harmony with a former lover. Ho hum...
The problem with SP is her pin-head mind that actually thought she was out-witting people that are highly-experienced in human behavior.

I'm still interested in whether the husband was complicit in pushing SP's story when he knew it was false, especially on national TV.
That seems to be a more egregious infraction. worthy of some type of significant sentence.
I would agree. She caused harm for sure. But she is just a narcissist I think. Just like Jussie. Some jail time, then probation. I don't think a long prison sentence does anyone any good.
As for her husband, I'm not sure. If he knew, she wouldn't have had to run away. So I don't think he was "in" on it. I'm sure he strongly suspected after a bit. But he is her husband, father to their children, how should he react other than as he did?

You’re forgetting she also basically stole from the victims compensation fund, SSDI, etc.

Your post got me thinking. I do see your point, especially in light of the Smollet outcome. I definitely see your point.

JMO

Exactly. Where was the remorse during the years she kept up this charade and continued to illegally use services to which she was not entitled? Not to mention as she spent all the money from well-meaning friends and family.

But now she’s sad?

So what do you think? And why did he ask her how she felt, in your opinion? That’s an odd question.

JMO

I don't think she's "sad" at all. I think she's fuming internally because for once she wasn't able to flutter her eyelids and toss her blonde mane and get her way.

IMO in that well-known picture of her being carried by her husband, his back to the camera, she looks positively smug. As in, "don't you wish you were me? So blonde and blue-eyed and a husband carrying me like a queen?"

Even the use of the feeble word "sad" annoys me. It's so juvenile. Throughout my career teaching English to 8th graders, a first week exercise we always did was to brainstorm more vivid language---words with nuance. We put those words onto a chart for them to use as a reference throughout the year, and I told them that "mad, bad, sad, glad and scared" were to be used very minimally as they don't convey much at all.

To hear an adult woman eke out only that she's "sad, very sad" implies to me that she put no effort nor emotion into her statement.

Jmo

I told them that "mad, bad, sad, glad and scared" were to be used very minimally as they don't convey much at all.

I don’t think SP has the depth to come up with a more meaningful word. And I wonder if her attorney told her to say as little as possible. I’m not sure anything she says could come back to bite her legally. But he may have been concerned that her wording could negate the statement she supposedly issued through him or her plea agreement. However, I suspect the first reason I listed is more to the point. :rolleyes:

I don't think she's "sad" at all. I think she's fuming internally because for once she wasn't able to flutter her eyelids and toss her blonde mane and get her way.

IMO in that well-known picture of her being carried by her husband, his back to the camera, she looks positively smug. As in, "don't you wish you were me? So blonde and blue-eyed and a husband carrying me like a queen?"

Even the use of the feeble word "sad" annoys me. It's so juvenile. Throughout my career teaching English to 8th graders, a first week exercise we always did was to brainstorm more vivid language---words with nuance. We put those words onto a chart for them to use as a reference throughout the year, and I told them that "mad, bad, sad, glad and scared" were to be used very minimally as they don't convey much at all.

To hear an adult woman eke out only that she's "sad, very sad" implies to me that she put no effort nor emotion into her statement.

Jmo

I think legally its probably advisable to say as little as possible. And would a more wordy statement actually make anything she did better? Not really.

All she can do now is take the L. Plead guilty, pay the fine, do the time. And then hopefully move on with her life and keep her head down.

I don't care if she doesn't use flowery language if she never commits another crime. Maybe she'll learn her lesson, maybe she won't. But hopefully she's at least humbled enough to know the law doesn't care for such histrionic shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay