CA CA - Sherry Roach, 17, San Mateo County, 8 June 1976

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The photo with the unknown man, dated on the back: 1975. Doesn't her family recall where this photo was taken? Did Sherry send it to her mom? From? Who wrote the date on the back?

Was she already in the Pedregal House or another group home/foster home in 1975? Considering the age people (at least 16 and usually not older then 19) were admitted to the Pedregal house and the estimated age of the young man (in his twenties) it's safe to say he wasn't a client in the Pedregal House. But he could be a staff member? I guess, hope LE checked that and ruled that out.

I'm usually not easy angered by reading into cases, but I feel a lot of anger right now.

Dentals and DNA are on file, so you would think, in a "perfect world", there isn't yet a match found with an unidentified person c.q. every Jane Doe in Namus is not her and ruled out by default. The question is, is every Jane Doe found in those days entered into the systems and DNA taken. I'm afraid not.

I'm also very curious why her case immediately was dismissed as a runaway case, especially because there was a range of young girl raped and killed in the spring of 1976, in the San Mateo/South San Francisco area.

I couldn't help myself so I made a timeline to see if she could have been a victim of f.i. Halbower. It's safe to say he didn't kill Sherry, because he was incarcerated at the time she went missing. You can find the timeline here. CA - CA - RODNEY HALBOWER, Gypsy Hill Murders, 1976

But there was another perp roaming around at the time. Leon Seymour, a notorious violent sexual predator, already convicted for rape of girls dating back to the 70's, but as it turned out recently, was also capable of killing, when his DNA was linked to the murder of Denise Lampe on April 1, 1976, in Daly City, San Mateo County, CA.

I tried to find when he was apprehended for this rapes, but I couldn't find the court files. Only this, but it's not exactly clear where and when this crimes took place. People v. Seymour, No. A111105 | Casetext Search + Citator

BACKGROUND

Between 1973 and 1982, Seymour was convicted of three rapes and two assaults with intent to commit rape. In 1972, Seymour picked up a female hitchhiker on Highway 101 in Mendocino County, drove her to a secluded location, threatened her with a gun, blindfolded her, handcuffed her, and raped her. In 1976 he gave a ride to a 19-year-old woman, apparently his cousin, took her to a secluded spot, threatened her with violence, and raped her. In 1982, Seymour forced a woman from her car and into his. He threatened her with a gun, drove her to a remote area, forced oral copulation and raped her. He pled guilty, was convicted, and sentenced to prison in each case.

Shortly after his first rape in 1972, Seymour approached a woman in a parking lot, forced her into his car, and threatened her with a gun. He indicated his intent to rape her, but she began crying; he showed her that the gun was empty and gave her his name before letting her go. Within days of the 1982 rape, he approached a woman in a parking lot, threatened her with a knife, and forced her into her car. He then forced her to drive to several locations. He attempted to rape her but was unable to do so. Seymour was convicted for each of these incidents, but points out that these two were not qualifying offenses under the Sexually Violent Predator Act (SVPA), section 6600 et seq.

He is on the sex-offenders website of California (can't post that here, due to the law, but he is listed under Leon Seymour) and it seems he was convicted in 1982.

According to My Heritage Seymour was born in Humboldt County and married in the 60's in San Mateo County.

I think Sherry is no longer alive, but the big question is, where are her remains?

Last edited:
47 years missing...

roach_sherry2.jpg

Sherry Elizabeth Roach, age 17
Missing since 8 June 1976

Hello to whom this many concern. There's a possibility that Sherry is the Unidentified Woman accompanying this Jane Doe found in Nashville in 1976.

Both women claimed to be from a institution for drug rehab. Sherry was last seen in San Mateo California when she left a "halfway house" which is another term for rehab.

Link to the Jane Doe case: https://www.documentingreality.com/...76-nashville-found-near-harpeth-river-158998/
The white dove may be significant to her indigenous name

I feel so sorry for Sherry and her brother. She was obviously a victim of a dysfunctional family.

Jerry Roach, Sherry's younger brother, told CBS 5 that they grew up in Santa Rosa in a violent household, resulting in Sherry being placed in several foster homes and group homes. He said he was very close to his sister.

"Maybe she is still alive, which I’m hoping for," he said. "But I know it’s doubtful, 'cause I think if she was alive, she would have contacted me. Gives me hope to just give us all closure."

I wonder if Jerry was also in foster homes and group homes, because they were born only one year apart from each other.

She left the group home to take the bus to her job in San Francisco, and has never been heard from again. A counselor at Pedregal House reported her missing after she didn't come back from work.

I would like to know if she arrived at her working place that day. If so that would mean she went missing from San Francisco. I vaguely remember I read somewhere LE interviewed her co-workers, but I can't find it now.

I have some difficulties comprehending the fact that the old picture with her and the man only popped up in her mother's house in 2020, so 44 years later, but maybe it's says more about me then her mother.
I don't know anything about the family dynamics, but Jerry remembers Sherry and him grew up in a violent household. According to Sherry's "stepfather's" (second husband of her mother) obituary from 2010 they were together for 43 years. This would mean dat Sherry was 8 when her mother met this man. What happened with Sherry afterwards?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth
Back