Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #18 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the weather reports it wasn't raining until later in the day.

To me, it doesn't make any difference whether she willingly accepted a ride or not. The fact is, her cell phone was found a short distance from her house, thrown from the vehicle. Now, LE has her cell pings and would be able to pinpoint the time the cell was thrown in that location. If it was thrown immediately, that would be an indication that she met foul play right away. So, regardly of whether she got in the vehicle willingly or not, she would still be considered kidnapped at that point and time.

As far as her dropping her things. I am still not convinced that she had a arm full of books and a purse. It was never clearly stated as fact. She could have just had the purse as maybe she wasn't lugging a bunch of books that day. I am following another case here where the girl was went missing riding her bike. Whoever took her, also took her bike instead of just leaving it lay. Unfortunately, it was a good move by the perp because it bought him/her time in the investigation.

I, like you would most likely think that someone would scream in this kind of a situation except for the fact that I have been in situations and unfortunately froze due to fear that if I did scream it would result in my death. When someone points a gun at you and tells you don't move or speak or I'll kill you, it's pretty scary. I chose to obey to try and by some time and eventually I was able to outwit the perpetrator and get away. I was very lucky, it could have easily gone wrong at any time.

BBM

I am so sorry you went through that.

However, I contend that you did the right thing. I can tell because you're alive and posting!

I think that is part of what Gavin de Becker was saying in The Gift of Fear: there is no single correct answer at applies to every situation and every perp. Go with what your instincts tell you at the time.

While it is most likely that if you are in a public place and scream, the perpetrator will run away, that does not always happen. Your perp might have been one of the ones who would have shot you right then and there if you'd made a peep.

You were quiet, you got away, you did the right thing.

I'm wondering if she has any other accounts, like Tumblr? I thought about it because I didn't even know what Tumblr was until I found out my 15 yr old daughter has an account..maybe she posted pics there?

SL did have a tumblr account.

According to:

CBS San Francisco

5-25-12

2:46 p.m.

"Authorities Narrow Sierra LaMar Search to Morgan Hill"

Quote: "Garcia-Torres has yet to enter a plea. His next court appearance is scheduled for May 31." End Quote

Has anyone heard that there is still going to be a court appearance for Garcia-Torres tomorrow, May 31st?

TIA

In my experience teenagers do this ALL. THE. TIME. They do it for attention. I'm not much older than a teenager myself -- in fact, I've had a Facebook account since I was in high school so I'm more than familiar with this happening. They're looking for people to say, "No, don't go! We'll miss you!" etc. etc. I see posts like this on Facebook itself daily. I wouldn't chalk it up to much, really.

I don't know. I have a few cousins that are the same age as Sierra. They all really use their Twitter accounts these days and have said similar things about FB. They all rarely use their FB accounts. I think Twitter is more popular amongst teens these days.

I can't remember exactly what her Tweet said, but I think it was something like how boring FB is. I will have to try to see if I can find it. But, she might have said that because her friends use Twitter more and so there is not much going on over at FB.

According to:

CBS San Francisco

5-25-12

2:46 p.m.

"Authorities Narrow Sierra LaMar Search to Morgan Hill"

Quote: "Garcia-Torres has yet to enter a plea. His next court appearance is scheduled for May 31." End Quote

Has anyone heard that there is still going to be a court appearance for Garcia-Torres tomorrow, May 31st?

TIA

That's the last we heard. TOMORROW is the day/date for his plea.

Sierra LaMar: Anatomy of a Search Day 59 | The Klaas Act

"This case is getting inside people’s heads. As improbable as it may seem, they dream about Sierra returning home, even walking through the big double doors of the Search Center. They struggle with their own emotional well-being as a child that most of them have never met is somewhere out there. They feel guilty that her best possible scenario has her distressed, hopeless and afraid. Some volunteers have taken to dark moods; some to drink. However, there are no social services available to these good men and women, so they put their heads down and try to move inexorably forward."

More here:

http://100.42.52.148/~klaaskid/blog/?p=237

With all due respect, Marc Klaas just proved that he may be an expert at running a search for a missing person but he's not even vaguely competent at finding social services.

Less than 15 seconds with Google turned up a gaggle of crisis counselling and social services in the Morgan Hill area.

All anyone in the area (affiliated with the search or not) has to do is run a Google search on "california morgan hill crisis center" in order to find a bunch of resources.

Then call.

Personally, if I were a volunteer, I'd be offended if Marc Klaas implied that I was one of an unspecified and unidentified number of people dealing with my emotional problems via alcohol abuse.

He should stick to speaking for himself.

Ok, I found the tweet. On March 13th, she tweeted, "Lmao im so done with facebook. Its pathetic now."

So, that's only a few days before her disappearance. So we can probably safely assume she was at least accessing her fb account even if she wasn't really using it right before she disappeared. Which means it's possible that she could have posted that pic on her fb wall. If not there, then it had to have been her Tumblr....unless she had another social media account somewhere that we don't know about!

How sad is that? A person goes missing and is stuffed in a trash can, and nobody notices she is missing....

I know! I was thinking that earlier. So they can't ID the person. That makes me wonder if maybe the person is not from the area? Or perhaps she was homeless? So sad.

This is what I have been thinking about today.

They had the DNA results early on in the case. They had established him as a suspect and at the press conference said they had spoken to him several times in the course of the investigation. This says to me that the DNA wasn't strong enough to arrest him for kidnapping and murder at this point. There was no blood and no murder weapon also.

They had taken his car - he knew he was under surveilance. (so his mother said). There was no way he was going anywhere near her body. The Police said they were following him to see if this is what may happen. I seriously think they did not have enough evidence at that point to arrest him. But had strong suspicions because of the DNA and needed to keep track of him.

I don't think they found his fingerprints on her phone nor do I think they have actual pictures or evidence of her being in his car, or throwing or placing the bag. (unless this came to light later on in the investigation) Because again - an arrest would have been made earlier.

The first thing you would surely do is contact anyone with ANY type of security cameras within the area. This would be the easiest way of knowing what, IF anything was caught on them. Unless, of course if there were just images or pictures of the car and they might not be able to identify the individual, the car was stolen or the person was in disguise. I just can't see them taking all this time from when they had the DNA evidence to when he was arrested.

Maybe a witness came forward or maybe they do have these images and it just took a long time? who knows?

I would think that security and any other cameras would be the first thing LE would be able to obtain and look at too.

I wonder if they really were just looking to see if he would lead them to where he placed Sierra.

If they do not have evidence such as blood or semen that could indicate that the murder and/or rape did not take place in his car, that the blood and semen would be wherever the crime actually did occur, YKWIM? It also could indicate that he did not move Sierra after he murdered her, if he killed her with a knife or gun as the fluids would potentially be in the car.

I hate talking about stuff like that, biological fluids sounds so cold, and saying blood, hair or saliva isn't that much better. It really is difficult to talk about these kids as "a body", as evidence. It really underscores that there life was taken, that they are no longer a person in the physical sense and that is soooooooooo upsetting.

God bless all those who deal with this everyday, who find and analyze the evidence so these monsters can be put away. Since I've been here I've seen a lot of stuff about LE that upsets me, but I have to say that overall my respect and appreciation for LE continues to grow. I think LE is doing a great job here to bring justice for Sierra!

I keep going back to cases over the years where a woman is missing, a person is a suspect and yet police do not bring charges, much less murder charges.

LE is very cautious, often overly so, in taking on a murder case without a body. Maybe we will learn more in court (tomorrow?) but in any case, I am confident LE had no choice but to conclude Sierra is gone, based on the evidence they have collected, and that we are as yet unaware of.

Can someone give the approx location (intersections) where:

Sierra lived
Suspect lived and worked(?)
phone was found
bag was found

Thanks

I keep going back to cases over the years where a woman is missing, a person is a suspect and yet police do not bring charges, much less murder charges.

LE is very cautious, often overly so, in taking on a murder case without a body. Maybe we will learn more in court (tomorrow?) but in any case, I am confident LE had no choice but to conclude Sierra is gone, based on the evidence they have collected, and that we are as yet unaware of.

ITA. And I do understand why LE is so cautious. And the media adds another element to things I think. It seems like there is a very fine line between too cautious and not cautious enough when it comes to pressing charges. Especially in these high profile cases, LE might not only be considering public safety or if they have enough evidence to prosecute and get a conviction, but politics and public sentiment too.

I've been following Sierra's threads and I know there are things that I missed and I didn't "thank" posts much because I was trying to zip through so I just want to thank everyone. Honestly I really think it would be beneficial for LE to read here and some of you really could work in LE.

Have a good evening everyone and hopefully they will find Sierra soon!

With all due respect, Marc Klaas just proved that he may be an expert at running a search for a missing person but he's not even vaguely competent at finding social services.

Less than 15 seconds with Google turned up a gaggle of crisis counselling and social services in the Morgan Hill area.

All anyone in the area (affiliated with the search or not) has to do is run a Google search on "california morgan hill crisis center" in order to find a bunch of resources.

Then call.

Personally, if I were a volunteer, I'd be offended if Marc Klaas implied that I was one of an unspecified and unidentified number of people dealing with my emotional problems via alcohol abuse.

He should stick to speaking for himself.

I agree with you. The reason why the comment got my attention is because for some time now I have been concerned for the well being of the community. I guess, I wrongly assumed that this was being addressed.

I know that this is very hard for the adults and the youth. The social service agencies in the community should step up and offer services to address this need if they haven't already.

What is kind of lame is when he told his mom he goes by there on his way to work. Really? Anyone can see on Google map that her street isn't really on a main road, one that he would travel to work anyway, unless he worked at that grass farm close by.

What is kind of lame is when he told his mom he goes by there on his way to work. Really? Anyone can see on Google map that her street isn't really on a main road, one that he would travel to work anyway, unless he worked at that grass farm close by.

Let's hope everything he comes up with is just as lame, I feel sure it will be.

I agree with you. The reason why the comment got my attention is because for some time now I have been concerned for the well being of the community. I guess, I wrongly assumed that this was being addressed.

I know that this is very hard for the adults and the youth. The social service agencies in the community should step up and offer services to address this need if they haven't already.

Is Marc Klaas on scene?

And yes, crisis intervention and social services agencies should step up. However, whoever is boots on the ground in charge at the search centre should also be reaching out to local agencies and distributing information to volunteers.

Can someone give the approx location (intersections) where:

Sierra lived
Suspect lived and worked(?)
phone was found
bag was found

Thanks

Sierra = Doughtery (3rd st) between Palm and Scheller (close to Scheller)
Suspect = Maple Leaf RV park. 15200 Montery Rd. between Tennant and San Martin rd . Work?
phone = Scheller near Santa teresa/Hale.
Bag = Laguna near Santa teresa/Hale.

**Main streets have two names...don't ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member