Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #21 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not, since death penalty doesn't mean what it used to. In recent years it is less likely to be carried out even when it is imposed. I can't remember the last time California carried out an imposed death penalty even though they have inmates on Death Row who have exhausted all their appeals. (Though, I admit I may be ignorant on this subject given I don't live in a death penalty state.)

I think his lawyers are advising him to just stay mute until there is no other choice--which would likely be decades from now when is strapped in and they are ready to insert the needle.

I do agree that it will be years if ever for him to be executed. AGT should still be sentenced to death if he is convicted. imo

There are around 700 inmates on death row in CA. It shows the jurors who have handed down these sentences certainly believed the defendants deserved the harshest punishment allowed under CA law but the government itself doesn't seem to respect the juries sentences who actually sat through all of the trials and evidence to come to that decision. It really is like a slap in the face to all of the jurors who were responsible of sitting in judgment on all of these death penalty cases and rendered their decision based on all of the evidence presented both aggravating and mitigating.

As far as the multiple charges causing the case to be overturned I do not believe that will ever happen. I remember in the CA case against Phil Spector the Judge allowed many witnesses to testify against him about his behavior and how he terrorized them with his gun. He was never arrested and charged with any of the crimes they testified to in court either yet it was allowed in to show same like patterns of dangerous violent behavior. His case has not been overturned and is still being upheld by the appellate courts.

I have no reservations whatsoever with the additional charges being added and will be presented in this trial.

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 20m20 minutes ago
#sierralamar - first day of trial: Line already forming outside courthouse. Seats first come, first served. 35 degrees out here

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 15m15 minutes ago
Courthouse doesn't open until 8:30 am; Sierra's family is gathering at head of line. Only 66 seats in courtroom

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 24m24 minutes ago
#sierralamar Line outside courtroom already. Lawyers are cheating and cutting to front of line. That's not usually a prob but wrong today.

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 21m21 minutes ago
33 seats for public at first while alternate jurors are chosen. Mercury News has seat! Bailiff says cd be "several hours" to pick alternates

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport now30 seconds ago
#sierralamar Jurors were just brought in through side door. Rest of us still in line. Sierra's father/mom, others are here

Lottery system to select jury alternates in #SierraLamar murder trial. Only 32 get in. Long line – at Superior Court Hall of Justice

Damian TrujilloVerified account ‏@newsdamian 3m3 minutes ago
More
Parents of #SierraLamar, Mark Klaas, watch in courtroom as judge dismisses jurors who asked to be relieved. – at Superior Court Hall of Justice

Damian Trujillo‏@newsdamian 1m1 minute ago
Judge denies continuance. Tells defense to get their consultant on speaker phone. Judge will not grant continuance #SierraLamar
Damian Trujillo‏@newsdamian 54s55 seconds ago
We stand corrected. Defense asking for continuance to get jury selection consultant into court. Judge discussing. #SierraLamar – at Superior Court Hall of Justice
tracey kaplan‏@tkaplanreport 54s55 seconds ago
Defense Atty Al Lopez says if jury selection reopened, need to DELAY so jury consultant can rejoin team. #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏@tkaplanreport 3m3 minutes ago
#sierralamar Jury selection cd take longer than expected. At least 2 to be excused, Have to repick them +8 alternates. The 2 had Med excuses

tracey kaplanVerified account ‏@tkaplanreport 2m2 minutes ago
#sierralamar Lawyers have to see if they r death eligible, i.e. willing to impose death penalty. Each juror candidate questioned separately.
tracey kaplanVerified account ‏@tkaplanreport 4m4 minutes ago
#sierralamar Chances that opening statements will start this morning r fading fast. Picking at least 2, maybe 3 new jurors takes time.
NBC Bay Area Retweeted
Damian TrujilloVerified account ‏@newsdamian 6m6 minutes ago
Defendant Antolin Garcia Torres wearing dress shirt and sweater in court. #SierraLamar – at Superior Court Hall of Justice
tracey kaplanVerified account ‏@tkaplanreport 7m7 minutes ago
#sierralamar Defense lawyers leave court to phone consultant.
tracey kaplanVerified account ‏@tkaplanreport 9m9 minutes ago
Judge Zecher: OK 4 def to call jury consultant on phone. Lopez: consultant may not be available. Zecher essentially says tough #sierralamar

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 4m4 minutes ago
#sierralamar Chances that opening statements will start this morning r fading fast. Picking at least 2, maybe 3 new jurors takes time.

tracey kaplan Verified account ‏@tkaplanreport 2m2 minutes ago
#sierralamar Lawyers have to see if they r death eligible, i.e. willing to impose death penalty. Each juror candidate questioned separately.

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 37s37 seconds ago
Antolin Garcia-Torres is wearing beige sweater, white shirt, buzz cut hair

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport now17 seconds ago
Defense asks judge to wait one more day for jury consultant fly up from SOCAL. Say can't do it by phone.

30 prospective juror alternates finally entering courtroom #SierraLaMar – at Superior Court Hall of Justice

Seems ridiculous.... its not like they didn't know what was happening today. If they wanted the consultant there they had plenty of time to plan on it.

More
Jurors #8, 9, 12 r excused for medical reasons.#sierralmar now have to re-pick 3 regular jurors +8 alternates

Damian TrujilloVerified account ‏@newsdamian 31s31 seconds ago
More
"Goodness gracious". Judges's reaction when she sees how many potential jurors expressing hardships. #SierraLaMar – at Superior Court Hall of Justice

tracey kaplanVerified account ‏@tkaplanreport 2m2 minutes ago
#sierralamar Lawyers continue to select 3 new jurors, plus 8 alternates. Going on an hour & 10 mins so far.

Morgan Hill Times ‏@morganhilltimes 7m7 minutes ago
The court is selecting alternate jurors this morning for the #SierraLamar trial. Opening statements scheduled for this afternoon. – at Superior Court Hall of Justice

Damian TrujilloVerified account ‏@newsdamian 26s26 seconds ago
More
UPDATE: The jury has been sworn in. 6 men. 6 women. Now selecting alternates #SierraLaMar – at Superior Court Hall of Justice

Seems ridiculous.... its not like they didn't know what was happening today. If they wanted the consultant there they had plenty of time to plan on it.
I couldn't agree more! These shenanigans are aggravating but not shocking. I'm sure it'll be brought up on appeal if the consultant isn't allowed to attend in person. Very manipulative by the defense team but, IMO, entirely their doing because they could have planned ahead.

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 37s37 seconds ago
Judge denies Bateson/Wheeler motion alleging racial bias by prosecution in alternate juror selection.

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 2m2 minutes ago
Juror said had a relative falsely accused of crime, believes death penalty disproportionate v minorities. "He is not ideal for the People."

#sierralamar Boyd: He went law school & has masters in counseling, was worried abt inconveniencing students, believes...

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 6m6 minutes ago
Judge: not sufficient evidence but Boyd needs to say race-neutral reasons

Lopez: if race-neutral reasons, identify them. Boyd: he appears to be Hispanic; there r Hispanics on jury.

Boyd: We excused for other reasons.

Prosecutor David Boyd: no idea how the juror identified as to race ( he was somewhat light-skinned).
tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 7m7 minutes ago
#sierralamar Def lawyer Al Lopez: Bateson motion - challenges PEOPLE for excluding only perspective African-American juror.

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 38s38 seconds ago
#sierralamar - Six alternates chosen. There may be a couple more but pool is tiny.

tracey kaplan ‏@tkaplanreport 18m18 minutes ago
#sierralamar - It's nearly 11 am w/ alternates yet to be picked. Unclear if opening statements start this am or this afternoon

Damian Trujillo ‏@newsdamian 1m1 minute ago
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a jury and 7 alternates. (6 women/1 man). Let the #SierraLaMar murder trial begin – at Superior Court Hall of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member