Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #6 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM: How do we know that?

I think it's a fair deduction since the bag was found by a searcher and there was no reference to it being located via GPS. LE did say that her smartphone was located via pings.

I don't see any reason for LE to say they found her smartphone via pings but not say they found her JC bag via GPS.

Then again, the ways of LE are deliberately arcane (or they'd like them to be, anyway). So maybe she DID have a GPS locator and the perp was smart to get that bag out of the vehicle ASAP.

I'm thinking not, though.

I wish they would be consistent:

"Nothing else was found in the purse - not even makeup, a wallet or hair brush, Cardoza said." Direct quote...

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/crime_fire_courts/update-sierra-lamar-s-purse-and-clothes-found/article_db3bf222-744a-11e1-b2b5-001a4bcf6878.html
thanks. I couldn't remember if they had said one way or the other if there were other items in the bag. This statement is pretty specific that there were not and I believe it. So the question is what happened to the rest of her stuff. She must have at least had keys, probably a student ID, pens, etc. If she had those in another bag, why did that bag not get thrown out too?

Hummm...weird place for a happy "nothing wrong"' 15 year old girl to be reading..

My kids loved that SECRETS site. There was a book that came out too. Teens are really into that for some reason. I don't think it means necessarily that she was troubled or unhappy. imo

Here is an article about a site that is under huge controversy right now for trafficking. Interesting article...it's a similar to CL, and they don't want to remove the adult content ..22 million a year off of it.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/26/senators-state-ags-backpage-sex-trafficking-ads-enrich-village-voice-media/

According to New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof, Backpage.com earns its parent company $22 million per year with an immense collection of online prostitution advertisements. The website, Kristof alleged, serves about 70 percent of all online prostitution advertisements in the nation.

The Backpage controversy goes deeper than that with Goldman Sach's being invested in it until just recently. http://news.yahoo.com/goldman-sachs-backpage-panic-real-costly-132113125.html

I scoured Backpage in the beginning looking for Sierra. So many girls looked like her or they would have their faces blurred out or not facing the camera. (The blurred faces is sometimes a good indication to LE they are underage). Anyway, I found one that looked so similiar and sent it on to someone else to check out but it was not her. It is very hard to look through those. You just want to rescue all those girls no matter what age they are.

My daughter and her friends love to read those secrets and you can also go to the fail blogs etc from there.

Hummm...weird place for a happy "nothing wrong"' 15 year old girl to be reading..

Glancing through it, it seems to be a site that would be weird for a shallow, vapid teen (admittedly a more common category than I would like) to go to, but not for, say, a teen who has enough empathy & insight to acknowledge & explore the hidden pains of others...

I'd be a whole lot more worried if it had been some goth or Emo (or god forbid, horror-core) site...but this one seems completely harmless to me.

All JMO

I wish they would be consistent:

"Nothing else was found in the purse - not even makeup, a wallet or hair brush, Cardoza said." Direct quote...

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/crime_fire_courts/update-sierra-lamar-s-purse-and-clothes-found/article_db3bf222-744a-11e1-b2b5-001a4bcf6878.html

This puzzles me because the article written is quoting from the video where he states "regular girl stuff". So did they edit that statement out of the video or what? When he states they can't confirm that those where a change of cloths or the ones she left the house in, it indicates to me there was no signs of obvious evidence on them. I guess I'm just not reading that much into it and I still feel the bag was just tossed out with it's original contents. I will just wait for them to release more details later as I don't feel I can mentally go anywhere with trying to sleuth that part of the case.

I DO have to hand it to the Santa Clara LE/FBI/KK for the handling of this case as well as they have and all the media attention. They've done well keeping the public informed, performing boots on the ground searches, SAR, etc. I don't think any of us can say they didn't try their best. JMO though.

Hope so, Santa Clara County Sheriffs generally do an excellent job. In San Jose there are only a handful of Sierra's posters up... I have only seen two myself. As opposed when I was in Morgan Hill 4 or 5 days over the last three weeks, they were everywhere. I am going to believe the police have much more info at this time than the general public.

The Backpage controversy goes deeper than that with Goldman Sach's being invested in it until just recently. http://news.yahoo.com/goldman-sachs-backpage-panic-real-costly-132113125.html

I scoured Backpage in the beginning looking for Sierra. So many girls looked like her or they would have their faces blurred out or not facing the camera. (The blurred faces is sometimes a good indication to LE they are underage). Anyway, I found one that looked so similiar and sent it on to someone else to check out but it was not her. It is very hard to look through those. You just want to rescue all those girls no matter what age they are.

That's awesome that you took the time to look. :)

He didn't say that. I linked the full presser video UP thread.

what did he say? would you post the link again? why do they have him quoted saying that right after they found it? one ould think the morgan hill times to report accuratgely...it is the same intervie? confused...

:rollercoaster:

what did he say? would you post the link again? why do they have him quoted saying that right after they found it? confused...

Here is the full transcript. :)

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=8591214

March 22 Press Conference

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Good morning everyone. This morning, the Sheriffs office has reached out to our volunteer search and rescue team. They are out here helping out this morning with the search for Sierra Lamar. The purpose of today's search is a more extensive, more thorough search. We're going to concentrate within a three mile radius of Sierra's mom's home looking for any evidence of a crime. Uh, clothing, weapons, tire tracks. Anything suspicious, any information that could help out in the investigation. The search and rescue teams will expand that three mile radius to search specific areas such as waterways and gulleys, as well. Some new information that has developed over the past few days, was that there was a bag, specifically a Juicy purse, a Juicy bag belonging to Sierra Lamar, that was found Sunday about 1pm. Members of the Sheriffs office search and rescue team found this Juicy bag belonging to Sierra. Inside the bag was some of Sierra's clothing. A pair of pants, and a T shirt, neatly folded, neatly put inside this bag. This bag was located on Santa Teresa Blvd, and Laguna, which is within a couple of miles of Sierra's mother's house. The reason the information wasn't immediately made available to the public was because we had to confirm that the clothes did belong to Sierra, and we had to do some further investigative follow up on that. Through confirmation from Sierra's family, and through some of the investigative efforts, we have now confirmed that those clothes, and the bag did belong to Sierra. I'll now take questions. Those are the updated information we had right now, but I'll now take some questions from everybody.

Q: How close was this bag to where the cell phone was found?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: The bag was found at Laguna and Santa Teresa, the cell phone was found at Scheller and Santa Teresa. A couple blocks away. All within a couple of miles of Sierra's mom's house.

Q: Were the clothes that were folded the ones that she was wearing when she left the house?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: We cannot confirm that, that she was wearing that when she was last seen. Because nobody saw Sierra leave the house, we don't know for a fact if those were the clothes she was wearing, or if for whatever reason those were extra clothes that she had inside her bag at the time.

Q: You made a point to say neatly folded, does that imply that she was going someplace, possibly running away, does that mean anything to you?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: It's information that the detectives still cannot determine as to why these clothes were neatly folded inside the bag, but that is specifically how the clothes were found. Neatly folded inside the bag.

Q: In the last few days have you found anything, prints on that bag, anything at all?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Unfortunately, no information through forensics or any other trace evidence on the bag or on the clothing leading to a person of interest or a suspect at this time.

Q: Was it on the side of the road, or the middle of a field, or?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Near the side of the road, near the intersection of Laguna and Santa Teresa.

Q: It could have been thrown from a passing car, dropped from a car?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Uh, possibilities, but we obviously aren't sure how the bag you know, was found, uh, came about to be there.

Q:*inaudible* or near the street?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Near the intersection of Laguna and Santa Teresa. Not on the roadway, but near the intersection.

Q: *inaudible* there might have been urine on the clothes?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: You know, the specific details as far as the condition of the clothing, if they were wet or if there was any urine on them, we are holding that information, that specific detail uh, confidential right now because of the investigation. So, we can't confirm that detail right now.

Q: The phone, was that on the side of the road on Scheller and Santa Teresa?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: The phone was about 20 to 30 feet off the roadway at Scheller and Santa Teresa. Correct.

Q: So it is possible that someone was driving down Santa Teresa, they threw the phone out of the right side of the window, and this bag was also found the right side of the window?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: That's a possibility, but again, we have no witnesses and no other evidence to confirm if it was thrown..

Q: *inaudible*

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: The bag of clothing, we can't specify exactly what side of the intersection it was located, but..

Q: Why are you waiting until today to go forward with the thorough search of the area immediately surrounding the house?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: The weekend searches were more of a general type search for a missing person or an injured person. Today's search is more extensive, it's specific to not only uh, an injured person, but also to evidence of a crime or any other information that could help in the investigation. So, today's search is a little bit more extensive, a little bit more thorough, a little bit more specific.

Q: *inaudible, another question was asked over this one*

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: No other evidence of foul play at this time and unfortunately we still do not have a person of interest.

Q: Can you confirm the last call on the phone?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: There was a text message that was sent out a little after 7am on Friday morning, from Sierra's cell phone.

Q: To whom?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: It's- we're withholding that information right now.

Q: We've been told that the FBI is assisting you guys. Can you tell us what the nature of that assistance is?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: I can confirm that the FBI is assisting in the case. Unfortunately, in what way- or, in- we can't go into how they are assisting us. But the FBI is assisting us right now. For investigative purposes, we just can't comment on the role that they are playing.

Q: Did the family tell you that she often carries extra clothes, like, I don't know, can you itemize them- a couple of pairs of jeans, a pair of flip flops or?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: That's a good question. That is something that again, we can't comment on at this time. We can't comment on if she would normally carry extra clothes with her in the bag or if that was something new that she would do, so um.

Q: Did she have any plans for after school that day?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Not that we know of.

Q: What type of dog is this? Is it search or is it a recovery dog?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: The K9 dogs are both human remain dogs and specific detection dogs.

Q: Talking to RSO's, how is that coming along?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: We're still in the process of doing that. We have contacted all the sex registered offenders within a 10 mile radius of Sierra's mom's home. Now the concentration and now the efforts are reaching out beyond that 10 mile radius to contact all the RSO's in the South County area, from Morgan Hill to Gilroy.

Q: You're escalating the search now because of what you found, you found this on Sunday, why didn't you escalate the search then and worry about getting confirmation later?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: You know, there was some investigative efforts, some steps that needed to take place from- between Sunday and now. Primarily to confirm that there was Sierra's clothing, to see if there was any evidence that would be able to be gathered on any of those clothings, which at this point there hasn't been any evidence or any trace information leading us to somebody else, but again, some investigative steps had to take place before we could confirm that and make this information public.

Q: Are you leaning still toward a possible runaway or leaning toward abduction?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: We're still a missing person case. We've yet to have any confirmation on an abduction or a volunteer runaway case. It unfortunately is still a missing person case until we get some concrete evidence or a good tip or lead on the case.

Q: Could the FBI take over if you confirm it was an abduction?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: That's something- I can't answer that for the FBI, if they would or not. But, uh, that's something they would have to comment on if we start going in that direction or if new evidence or information comes out.

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: We're cooperating with Sierra's family, members of the community, and likewise-vice versa, they are cooperating with us 100%, and that is something I'm sure if any organization, any outside organization would come in, of course we'll cooperate with them as well.

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: No, they're continuing their search efforts today with the K9 dogs, but there has been no new evidence or leads other than the clothing that was found on Sunday afternoon.

Q: *inaudible*..planning on searching today?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: No one else outside of our agency that's helping out with the search. At least for today.

Q: Any specific locations today or just the three mile radius?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Just the three mile radius. Uh, private property, you know, yards, backyards of the residential homes, open fields, waterways, thoroughfares, cul de sacs, and like I said, they will expand the three mile search specifically for nearby reservoirs and waterways as well.

Q: *inaudible, something about scent dogs*

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: They have. The dogs have been trained. They have Sierra's scent from her clothing. We have 5 k9 search dogs assisting today with the search.

Q: And the distance again between the cell phone and the bag, you say it was a couple blocks, or a mile?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Both the cell phone and the clothing are both within two miles of Sierra's mom's house. I don't know the exact location though, between the cell phone and the clothing.

Q: They are in the opposite direction of the way she would have gone to the school bus?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: The cell phone is in the opposite direction. Laguna and Santa Teresa- I'm not sure if it's in the opposite direction of the bus stop.

Q: How concerned are you that it's been almost a week and you don't really have much to go on?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: We're really concerned. We're still, obviously, still out here, you know, with a lot of concentrated efforts. With a lot of our personnel. Search and rescue, detectives, I mean we've been working this case 24/7 since Friday evening when we were notified of the case. So, we're very much concerned, it's still a priority, you know, for our agency, for our department right now, and we're hoping to get some information or some leads to help not only track down or help get this in the right direction, but to help establish; is this a runaway case, or is it an abduction?

Q: Interviews of sex offenders, are you widening that process?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: We're sticking to the South county area sex offenders right now. We've contacted all the sex offenders within a ten mile radius of Sierra's mom's home, and now we are reaching out to the rest of the sex offender registrants in the South county area.

Q: Have anything you have heard led you to believe that she may have run away?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: No, no information leading to or leading us in that direction. She had a very good relationship with the mom, the moms boyfriend and her biological father. Uh, the mom, the sister, everyone in Sierra's family has been cooperative. We have no information that would lead us to believe otherwise that there was any problems at home, or that there would be any indication for her leaving.

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Unfortunately not. The forensic testing on the computer and cell phone didn't reveal any- any persons of interest.

Q: Can you tell us if the text after 7am was a distressed text?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: It was not. It was not a distressed text. It was a normal text that she would send out to her friend.

Q: Where was the text located from?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: It was-it was to her friend.

Q: But where was it sent from?

Q: Was it from her laptop, or?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: It was from her cell phone.

Q: ..the location?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: At her home. It was from her cell phone at home.

Q: And it was on Friday?

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: It was on Friday morning, a couple of minutes after 7 in the morning.

tdy-120320-sierra-lamar-2p.grid-5x2.jpg

All teachers, teachers assistance etc etc were all accountable for that day yes? No one absent? Anyone call in that Friday.

I am glad they have headed south.
Take the 101 south until it makes a connection with the I5 South and check along both sides of the I5 for about a mile and see if anything connected is there.

Anyone hearing about a LEO visiting the car rental places please post.

She was picked up by someone that morning. Someone was there waiting for her to come out and start her walk to the bus that morning. I find it difficult that a stranger was on another street and seen her come out and made a u turn or whatever and went back to her drive way. Someone knew the time, and was there waiting on her. To abduct her with more privacy they would have waited for her to start walking down the street to catch her buss. But they did-not, they were setting right there at the end of the drive way if you believe the dogs did in fact loose her sent there. Which I do and so does LEO.

It could have been a surprised visit. Since there are no indications she had anything planned that morning except going to school. But with the extra set of clothing it could had been planned before that day but during that week.

Or it could have been she did-not expect this person that morning. But did voluntarily get in.
This was no stranger abduction. They knew each other a little or a lot I am not sure, but they knew of each other. And for now, I speculate she did not expect this person this morning since she mentioned getting together later to discuss school work. But still not sure either way. expected or non expected for that morning.

Someone had to use there left or right turn signal to get to her drive way.
Which tells me they knew where they were going.

I don't know I'm still sticking with the abduction not having much of a struggle. I'm close to Sierra's age and I have MUTUAL FRIENDS with Sierra... She was incredibly smart but in certain situations people react differently. I'm extremely educated on criminal cases and have studied countless numbers of cases and there are still moments where I look back at a situation and shudder at how I responded to it.

As a young woman, and I consider myself to be social like Sierra, there were moments where I was approached and was polite because I did not want to be rude. And this is coming from me... who has studied tons of cases in school and in my personal time and has also experienced a murder in the family. I know how quick it is for a situation to go south... how easy it is for a woman to be taken. This whole case with Sierra has really shown me that you CAN'T no matter what put yourself in an iffy situation. My mom tells me over and over it is better to be rude than dead. I think a lot of young women are afraid of being rude or impolite as crazy as it sounds and will go against their better judgement in a situation. I think Sierra could have been approached by someone who wasn't even an acquaintance to her but someone who just knew her schedule. I don't buy her willingly getting into a stranger's car but I do see her not reacting to someone approaching her asking for directions, a light, or with a sob story... maybe their car breaking down, their animal running off... etc. I could see a younger man coming up to her and Sierra not thinking much about it. Unfortunately, many people think they are invisible... that nothing bad will happen to them.

I think that regardless of when the bag was tossed that it was tossed by the perp. It was found off the road and with the contents of the bag... especially the books I can't imagine Sierra being able to chuck it very far from the car. I'm 5'6 and 109 lbs... I have height and some weight on Sierra and I wouldn't be able to toss it very far. I'm still sticking with the bag and phone being dumped on the way out of the area. The perp doesn't need anything but Sierra (it saddens me to write that) but it's true. I can't imagine him wanting any sort of evidence in the car. If the clothing WAS what Sierra was wearing that day I'm wondering where those shoes are. The perp could keep them as a trophy I suppose but I would imagine they would take something more personal of Sierra's like the bra or underwear.

Just some thoughts. I'm so glad that Sierra's case is staying in the news. We will not stop until she is found and I'm praying for the LaMar family. We love you Sierra :)

what did he say? would you post the link again? why do they have him quoted saying that right after they found it? one ould think the morgan hill times to report accuratgely...it is the same intervie? confused...

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news...cle_db3bf222-744a-11e1-b2b5-001a4bcf6878.html

The majority of the article is information taken directly from the PC, save for these two quoted sections, best I can tell:

Nothing else was found in the purse - not even makeup, a wallet or hair brush, Cardoza said.

I'm not sure that this is actually a direct quote, as there are no quotation marks around it.

Some of the content on the accounts contains profanity, references to marijuana and alcohol use and carnally suggestive photos and comments. Cardoza said her parents “knew she was an avid ‘Facebooker’ and ‘tweeter’,” but did not specify whether or not they closely monitored the accounts.

He added that none of the content is suspicious or reflective of an intent on Sierra’s part to run away.

I don't know where the writer got this information, but it was not from the PC. Perhaps s/he asked Cardoza after the PC or at some other time off camera.

Oh, also, at the PC, Cardoza never said that the bag contained "underclothes" as the article says in the second paragraph. I know some other articles have said that the bag contained a pair of underwear and a bra, I'm wondering if maybe Cardoza said that off camera at some point.

Yes, I saw that...
I also think it's interesting that that is the only homework she talked about... she seemed obsessed with this assignment for some reason as she was talking to her dad and Danielle about it the night before she went missing... Then she wanted to meet up with someone early in regards to homework... I'd sure love to see that completed assignment...all of it...

Anyway.. I didn't know she wrote that story about the boy running home to check on his sister.. I thought she re-tweeted that...

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought the essay she was excited about was on teen depression or teen suicide.

WOW you go guys!!! This is the most SERIOUS discussion I have EVER seen on WS!
<modsnip>
God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members