Silver Alert CA - Stephanie Menard, 73, Daniel Menard, 79, & Cuddles, white Shih Tzu, unlocked car found, Redlands, 24 Aug 2024 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. We were young, renting, plenty of financial resources.

Imagine the helplessness of having a psychopath for a neighbor. Being elderly, disabled, and not a lot of financial resources.

Do you remember that old movie with Melanie Griffith?

Has it been said that the Menards had financial issues?

Part 3

Opens it for Q&A about 6 minutes in.

DA / RPD Chief Presser part 4:

(picking it up where part 3 left off, 10 minutes or so in and still during Q&A)

Q: How long do you think they had been there?

A (DA): I do not know. I think obviously, when the coroner and the pathology is done, there will be a better idea of what we're talking about in terms of time frame. But again, for our purposes, understanding that they both had been killed, that's what's most relevant to us in terms of the charges.

Q: Would you say at this point that this was premeditated?

A (DA): I would not be able to say that at all, no (as in too soon to know, it sounds like)

Q: We haven't looked at the complaint yet, but we were sort of wondering, some of the neighbors said there was some tension over a tree or something, do you have any information...

A (DA): I do not have any further information on that. I don't know if that's something the Chief wishes to...

Q (interrupts) So nothing in the complaint?

A (DA): Nothing in the complaint.

Our complaint is that the 2 substantive charges, count 1, count 2, the special allegation in terms of multiple murders, and then, as required by law in California, we also add factors and aggrevation that we think are present that we would have to prove at a later stage.

We don't get into the whole... Your question is a good one, but we're not required to do that in terms of the process, and that's probably not something we would even comment on at this time.

Q: Chief, do you have anything to add?

A (RPD Chief): To the same point, we're still investigating that to be able to answer that. So at this point we're not going to be able to comment further on that.

Q: So at this point you don't anything about the relationship (between Sparks and the Menards, presumably) and you don't know anything about what the motive was?

A (RPD Chief): Correct. I know that they were neighbors, but I can't speak to the motive at this point.

Q: Chief, this your community, I know that you guys worked so hard on this, and were out there, and I know that, from Sunday to Thursday, is there anything you wish to say to the people of Redlands about how seriously you took this? or?

A (RPD Chief): Like I started out with, my condolences. And I want to echo his (DA) thanks to our community that stepped up and reached out and communicated with us throughout the investigation.

We took it very seriously, as you know from being out there, we were out there continually, from Thursday on and like I said, I'm very thankful for all of the partners, including our community, that came together to see the investigation through to fruition.

Q: Have you seen anything like this before? Do you have any thoughts on this?

A (RPD Chief): Certainly it is a...um, I'm not sure I've seen this type of a case. Certainly is concerning and I'm thankful to my partners here (gestures to DA) who have spent the weekend with us sorting through the case and investigation. They'll be able to bring some justice for the Menards.

Q: Just to clarify, he (Sparks) had texted his own family members, correct?
(The info that led to the tip while LE was on scene that said he had killed them and was going to commit suicide) (about 12:50 into presser)

A (RPD Chief): Yes. He had reached out to them. I believe that there may have been other people that he texted. But yes, the initial 911 call that started our focus on him was from the (Sparks) family.

Q: Do you have any information about why the (Menards) vehicle was found where it was? Like had they been driving it?

It's just a weird piece of the puzzle that it was found abandoned half a mile down the road. The keys were still in the ignition, do you know if they were trying to get away maybe?

A (RPD Chief): I don't have the answer to that right now.

Q (overlapping questions): What about the dog?

A (RPD Chief): At this point we don't have any information on the whereabouts of the dog, no.

Q: Is there any evidence in the car or where it was found? Blood or anything like that?

A (RPD Chief): Uh, no. No there's not [come on, media person, it would have been towed and/or not returned to the RV park if so!]

Ok, that's going to be the conclusion to our press conference today. Thank you guys so much for attending. I am going to be releasing the complaint shortly, the case number shortly thereafter, and follow up on the arraignment date.

Someone mentioned that a neighbor was taking leftovers to them for dinner. And based on their car, an older Buick, I don't think that they had a lot of resources. I could be incorrect though. But, if they had, they probably would have moved away from this neighbor.

See some snippets from this article that allude to what seems to be that possibility.

It also references many of those who lived there being seniors living on fixed incomes.

Rodriguez said the Menards complained that management was demanding membership fees from them and restricting the couple’s pool privileges.

”When they would go to the pool someone would harass them for money,” Rodriguez said. “People started poking around their RV and their mobile home, so what we did is we opened up our home to them. They would come every Friday, and if I had extra food, I would share it with them. They were good people. All they wanted to do was sing karaoke and hang out by the pool.”

In March, Storm, the eight-year resident, said management began serving eviction notices and raising rents. Stephanie Menard was one of the more engaged residents, attending meetings they had about the dispute.

Someone mentioned that a neighbor was taking leftovers to them for dinner. And based on their car, an older Buick, I don't think that they had a lot of resources. I could be incorrect though. But, if they had, they probably would have moved away from this neighbor.
They probably never dreamed it would end to murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4
Back