CA CA - Sue Sharp 36, & 3 children, Keddie Cabin Murders, Plumas, 11 Apr 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is interesting information, but we need some links. The teacher has been discussed (and linked) here before. Have not seen any links regarding allegations of pedophilia by the assistant sheriff. TIA.

If people feel the Camp 18 place is a possible lead, please see if you can post a link to a map, etc. It would be helpful. TIA

Hey Betty,

I've got some links I'm working now.
Here is the big list of California inmate work camps.
Ishi camp 18 is listed there.
Admin and mail is received in Pages Creek.
Looks like they also have some barracks there.
Note, Camps in the past were also tent camps before barracks and offices were formally built.
Inmates get 2 weeks of firefighting training before they start work initially.

Conservation (Fire) Camps - California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

CDCR is responsible for the selection, supervision, care and discipline of the inmates. CAL FIRE maintains the camp, supervises the work of the inmate fire crews, and is responsible for inmate custody while on daily grade projects. CDCR staff often accompany inmate fire crews on out-of-county assignments, or on local assignments located near residential areas.h

When not fighting fires, inmate firefighters perform conservation and community service projects performing a wide range of duties, such as clearing brush and fallen trees to reduce the chance of fire, maintaining parks, sand bagging, flood protection and reforestation.

What I mean is I don't like MMB as suspects.

Ishi camp serves Plum as County.
They would be in the woods clearing brush, fighting fires, planting new trees and near residential working flood prevention if needed in that area.
They would learn the park.
They would learn some basic forestry.
Maybe see some abandoned box cars....
And after parole, maybe go make a home in Quincy or Keddie or any of those little towns right there.
Camp 18 opened in 1961.
20 years is plenty of time for an inmate to decide he likes the area and wants to stay.
A 20 year old inmate in 1961 is a 40 year old pervert in 1981.
Just throwing that out there.

Yes, it is definitely a strange, sad case. I will work on another post and include a bunch of pertinent links. It's great to have some discussion going on here again!

I also agree MMB may not be responsible, just my opinion of course. But there is no hard evidence against them, that I am aware of, and some of things used in their guilt can be interpreted different ways (the therapist confession, love letter). I am also open to all possibilities.

Yes, Tina's teacher was previously discussed & looked into and as far as I know didn't lead anywhere. One interesting tidbit regarding him was mentioned in People Magazine Investigates which aired on Investigation Discovery in 2016. It stated he had been in Keddie the night of the murders, at the bar/restaurant located there. This information had not been released or discussed prior to that.

Here is the link for an interactive map Dmac made of the area. It includes Keddie, Feather Falls, Camp 18 (the site of Tina's remains) and location where two other young girls were found murdered in 1973, Bonnie Ann Newman & Kathy Howard.

http://keddie28.com/maps.html?i=2

In regards to the assitant sheriff, there is a link to an article in the Feather River Bulletin from March 6, 1985 which covers his resignation over the allegations. I do not have a membership to newspapers.com so I was not able to read it.

Feather River Bulletin from Quincy, California on March 6, 1985 · Page 1

I will work on those links and get them posted soon!

Hello all! Here are some links to the different Keddie forums. I apologize I haven't had time to find & post links to specific case files but wanted to at least get these up for anybody wanting to check them out.

www.Keddie28.com is the main forum

keddiecoldcase
I don't believe people post on this forum much anymore but there is a lot of good information available there.

Home | The Great Zodiac Killer Hoax of 1986
This is an active forum I am a member of. You can find the case files, etc. and good discussion here. Would love for anyone interested to join us there :)

PS. I hope posting these links here is ok, I apologize if not.

One of the most baffling aspects of the case are the boys supposedly sleeping in the room next door and not noticing anything of the mayhem in the cabin. Totally unbelieveable! You have to assume they were directly involved also, otherwise they would have been killed as well;

Wow! What an amazing site you have there Murder Inc! So nice to have all that information & news articles in one place. And for Kathy, Lynette & Bonnie's cases to get some exposure. Seeing your maps of similar crimes and the close proximity to Keddie is....just mind blowing. I still have a lot of reading to do on your site and look forward to doing so. Just wanted to post a quick reply to say thank you, for all the hard work you put into that and for sharing!

I agree tilomagnet the boys being untouched and keeping their silence all these years later is baffling. Justin's DNA being found on the tape just adds to that speculation. Its possible he removed a piece of tape from Sue's gag vs. applying it, but if that's the case why are they still not discussing what happened that night. Baffling for sure!

One of the most baffling aspects of the case are the boys supposedly sleeping in the room next door and not noticing anything of the mayhem in the cabin. Totally unbelieveable! You have to assume they were directly involved also, otherwise they would have been killed as well;

I disagree. The EAR would attack victims while their families slept in the same house completely unaware of what was going on

I agree tilomagnet the boys being untouched and keeping their silence all these years later is baffling. Justin's DNA being found on the tape just adds to that speculation. Its possible he removed a piece of tape from Sue's gag vs. applying it, but if that's the case why are they still not discussing what happened that night. Baffling for sure!

I think the majority of sleuths maybe zeroed in on Marty & Bo as single killers too early and ignoring the aspect of the boys in the next room. At the very least they must know more than what they've told all these years. All these families were highly dysfunctional with lots of motives apparent and hatred going on.

I kind of believe the younger children heard everything but were too scared to do anything. Justin later came forward and said he was having nightmares of the murder. Did he actually see something and mentally block it out or was he just talking for the sake of attention. Here is an article discussing this aspect of the case.

Mystery of Keddie Cabin Murders Closer to Being Solved
Finding Suspects
Despite the plethora of evidence and a few suspects, no arrests took place. Many people believe that the police were either incompetent or corrupt and covered up the crime for some reason. They had failed to log numerous pieces of evidence and overlooked leads.

Around a month after the Keddie murders took place, Justin, one of the survivors, told his therapist that he was having dreams about the murder. In his dream, he had tried to stop the bleeding in Sue’s chest with towels, and he covered her with a blanket.

Was it possible that he witnessed the Keddie cabin murders or awoke at some point during the night but had blocked it out? He was placed under hypnosis in an attempt to recall any details of the night. Justin reported that he was watching TV in the boys’ room before he fell asleep. He began hearing noises out in the living room and claimed to have seen Sue with two men. One of them was tall with blonde hair and a mustache, while the other was shorter, dark-haired, and clean-shaven.

He recalled that both men wore glasses and that the two older boys, John and Dana, came home while Sue was talking to the men. Somehow, this erupted into a bout of violence between them, which resulted in the murders.

Justin also claimed that Tina had arrived shortly after, and one of the men abducted her out the back door.

Although the story is intriguing, Justin may have gotten information about the case from the media during the four weeks since the murders. Additionally, some sources say that on the hypnosis tapes, the police made suggestions to Justin during the session.

I kind of believe the younger children heard everything but were too scared to do anything. Justin later came forward and said he was having nightmares of the murder. Did he actually see something and mentally block it out or was he just talking for the sake of attention. Here is an article discussing this aspect of the case.

Mystery of Keddie Cabin Murders Closer to Being Solved

Yes, those kids were pretty young at the time. It has happened before, where someone was killed with children elsewhere in the home who either heard nothing or suppressed what they saw or heard. One example that comes to mind was 5 yo Sam Reese Sheppard, who was asleep next door to his parent's bedroom where his father allegedly bludgeoned his mother to death. He slept through the whole thing and remembers only some things about what happened afterwards.

On the night of the murders Sheila was spending the night at a neighbor's house and Tina was there watching T.V. with them until late at night. From what I understand Tina wanted to stay there overnight with her sister but the neighbor said no and so Tina went home which is sadly the last time she was seen alive. I wonder if Tina knew something was up and that's why she wanted to stay at the neighbor's house?

Sorry. I've had quite a few family medical issues happening since November so I'm worrying with them and not working on the data sets.

I don't think EAR was involved because:
EAR only tried to abduct one young woman from her home when the rest of her family was asleep, and it didn't end well. He lost control of the situation. He didn't allow for that afterwards (pre 1980s).
EAR preferred single women majority living alone.
If the women didn't live alone, there was majority only their partner living with them and no children.
EAR used diamond knots when tying bindings.
EAR would have raped Sue.
EAR would have used stacked plates and cups as a warning system on the backs of the boys to tell him if they were moving or escaping while he worked on Sue.
EAR would have found the kids in the back room. He is well known for making himself WELL at home (using the bathroom, eating food, wandering rooms).
EAR NEVER took live captives after his one disasterous attempt WELL before the Keddy murders.
Frankly, if this were EAR everything would have been more organized - way too sloppy for him.
As for Dana's pants...who was in the room? Sue, Dana, Tina, potential Unsub, potentially Justin.
My gut keeps telling me Tina has involvement in the lead up to this.

Sorry. I've had quite a few family medical issues happening since November so I'm worrying with them and not working on the data sets.

I don't think EAR was involved because:
EAR only tried to abduct one young woman from her home when the rest of her family was asleep, and it didn't end well. He lost control of the situation. He didn't allow for that afterwards (pre 1980s).
EAR preferred single women majority living alone.
If the women didn't live alone, there was majority only their partner living with them and no children.
EAR used diamond knots when tying bindings.
EAR would have raped Sue.
EAR would have used stacked plates and cups as a warning system on the backs of the boys to tell him if they were moving or escaping while he worked on Sue.
EAR would have found the kids in the back room. He is well known for making himself WELL at home (using the bathroom, eating food, wandering rooms).
EAR NEVER took live captives after his one disasterous attempt WELL before the Keddy murders.
Frankly, if this were EAR everything would have been more organized - way too sloppy for him.
As for Dana's pants...who was in the room? Sue, Dana, Tina, potential Unsub, potentially Justin.
My gut keeps telling me Tina has involvement in the lead up to this.

Most of what you posted is inaccurate. EAR kidnapped a young victim from her home and brought her along the canals that ran behind her house. EAR/ONS is also believed to be responsible for police kidnap murders in Exeter while he was a serial killer police officer. EAR attacked numerous victims whose family members were home, couples, children, grandparents. There are examples of EAR attacking women who were home with multiple children: October 1975, Attack #3, etc. EAR rarely used diamond knots to bind victims, he did use electrical cords though. I don't think EAR used dishes on all the ONS murder victims. EAR raped and kidnapped victims while their families were left sleeping. EAR did kidnap a live captive from her home after the Snelling murder. The crime scene looks like an EAR/ONS crime from the photos. Moral of the story: it's not possible to rule out a connection between crimes based on differences, while similarities can be useful when attempting to link crimes.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back