GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok, so let's say I am a juror---maybe a young person who never heard of this old Durst guy.

So upon hearing the story about his wife Kathy, I might have plenty of reasonable doubt. He says she got on the train---There is no solid evidence she didn't---this was many decades ago---I couldn't convict on this murder charge.[ he is not even being charged]

But then we get to the Morris Black case. And again, it is only Durst's word we have for it being self defense. It is hard to prove otherwise. BUT HE DISMEMBERED the guy. That is a very cold hearted and sick thing to do.

How many of us would be able to actually dismember a body and dispose of it? I know I could never do it. So I would be looking at him sideways at this point.

So now we get to the murder he is being charged with in this trial. And NOW we have some very damning facts. HE PUTS HIMSELF IN SUSI'S HOUSE, LOOKING AT HER DEAD BODY. :eek:....And his explanations surrounding that whole thing are total hogwash.

His whole story of planning this nice staycation at the Chateau and going to the Rose Cafe in Venice, then driving to SF and she will fly home....but she didn't make plans for her dogs to be cared for.

And her daily planner shows a hair appt and a note to get groceries and a lunch with a friend---NO mention of her big vacay with Bobbie. Only mention of him is a note to herself to call him that Friday.

So she is going to make a notation/reminder to go to the market but no note about her going away for the weekend with her friend?

And there were so many lies surrounding the whole thing. He finds the body but then makes excuses for not calling by saying her phone didn't work and his was in the car,,or lost on the plane...Why not just say " I didnt call 911 because I didnt want them to think I did it." That would be believable.

But I really think the by the time the jury starts looking at the 3rd murder charge, they have this prior knowledge. He had shot his friend and dismembered him. He may have killed his wife. And there really is no logical, innocent explanation for him being in the house when Susi's body was dead on the floor.

I know that Lewin did go a bit overboard and nit picky in his cross examination. But this old man has gotten away with at least 3 murders already---and probably more.

When I read about the coed that went missing from in front of his health food store in 1971---it all fell into place for me. I have been trying to understand why he killed Kathy, his wife. He was young, rich and handsome. Why not just divorce her?

But I read that Kathy owned the health food store with him. The missing coed had come into the store, was eating something she bought there as she sat out front. Then she vanished. So did Kathy ever get suspicious about that missing coed?

Durst supposedly killed Morris Black because he knew too much about Durst being on the run. And he supposedly killed Susi because she knew too much about his wife's murder.

So is that why he killed his wife too? She knew too much about the missing coed?

So is that why he killed his wife too? She knew too much about the missing coed?

VT - VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

In 2015, authorities announced they were looking at Robert Durst as a possible suspect in Lynne's disappearance. He and his wife, Kathleen, owned All the Good Things in 1971.

Kathleen Durst disappeared from New York City in 1982, and Robert is considered the prime suspect in her case, but he has never faced charges connected to it. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

Investigators have ruled him out as a suspect in the 1997 disappearance of Kristen Modafferi from San Francisco, California, but he's being considered in the disappearance of Karen Mitchell from Eureka, California that same year.

Robert was charged with the 2001 Texas homicide of Morris Black. He claimed he murdered Black in self-defense, and was acquitted in 2003. In 2015, he was charged with murder in the 2000 shooting death of Susan Berman.

=======================

Ok, so let's say I am a juror---maybe a young person who never heard of this old Durst guy.

So upon hearing the story about his wife Kathy, I might have plenty of reasonable doubt. He says she got on the train---There is no solid evidence she didn't---this was many decades ago---I couldn't convict on this murder charge.[ he is not even being charged]

But then we get to the Morris Black case. And again, it is only Durst's word we have for it being self defense. It is hard to prove otherwise. BUT HE DISMEMBERED the guy. That is a very cold hearted and sick thing to do.

How many of us would be able to actually dismember a body and dispose of it? I know I could never do it. So I would be looking at him sideways at this point.

So now we get to the murder he is being charged with in this trial. And NOW we have some very damning facts. HE PUTS HIMSELF IN SUSI'S HOUSE, LOOKING AT HER DEAD BODY. :eek:....And his explanations surrounding that whole thing are total hogwash.

His whole story of planning this nice staycation at the Chateau and going to the Rose Cafe in Venice, then driving to SF and she will fly home....but she didn't make plans for her dogs to be cared for.

And her daily planner shows a hair appt and a note to get groceries and a lunch with a friend---NO mention of her big vacay with Bobbie. Only mention of him is a note to herself to call him that Friday.

So she is going to make a notation/reminder to go to the market but no note about her going away for the weekend with her friend?

And there were so many lies surrounding the whole thing. He finds the body but then makes excuses for not calling by saying her phone didn't work and his was in the car,,or lost on the plane...Why not just say " I didnt call 911 because I didnt want them to think I did it." That would be believable.

But I really think the by the time the jury starts looking at the 3rd murder charge, they have this prior knowledge. He had shot his friend and dismembered him. He may have killed his wife. And there really is no logical, innocent explanation for him being in the house when Susi's body was dead on the floor.

I know that Lewin did go a bit overboard and nit picky in his cross examination. But this old man has gotten away with at least 3 murders already---and probably more.

When I read about the coed that went missing from in front of his health food store in 1971---it all fell into place for me. I have been trying to understand why he killed Kathy, his wife. He was young, rich and handsome. Why not just divorce her?

But I read that Kathy owned the health food store with him. The missing coed had come into the store, was eating something she bought there as she sat out front. Then she vanished. So did Kathy ever get suspicious about that missing coed?

Durst supposedly killed Morris Black because he knew too much about Durst being on the run. And he supposedly killed Susi because she knew too much about his wife's murder.

thank you for this post!! This is just the sort of meta-pondering about Durst that I am craving! Anyone who wants to dive deep down a rabbit hole of criminal freakazoid strikes gold w BobbyD. He is so many slimy layers deep and whenever you think you hit rock-bottom, you look down & spot another level of glowing-blue slime seeping up.

the Q of why he was SO opposed to having kids has always hung over the story - lots of people have concerns about parenthood, but his complete unwavering refusal is bizarre. In this trial they played more of a jail call with his now-wife DC that answered this Q for me & also put many pieces of his worthless life together IMO.

They were discussing “Igor,” which has been called a code word for murder, but MOO actually refers specifically to his long-standing plan to murder his brother Douglas. Bobby Durtbag sez, roughly, ‘that’s why I never wanted to have kids. Cuz, you know, Igor. I was afraid what’s happened to me now [imprisonment] would happen.’

So OK Bob from way early - before his marriage to Kathie at least, when he was 29 - has maintained a plan to murder Douglas. He named this plan Igor …… & JMO I’d bet he named the dogs after the plan rather than the other way around (he has one of those overly done stories about source of name that’s a red flag for his lies).

Since he’s got nothing better to do (& is v intelligent so must need to do something with his mind) IMO his life’s work has been developing a way to accomplish Igor & get away with it. At some point (in VT he says, but that’s probably a lie) he discovered bowsaws and it seems he hasn’t put one down since.

MOO I think he’s been practicing for “Igor” his whole life, using people he thinks won’t be missed as he builds up to a crime that he’d immediately be looked at for, killing Douglas.

IMO he’s probably told himself this is his purpose & a worthy one as he’s killed people driven by base emotions like anger & sex arousal. He’s most likely preyed on many young women out of attraction, then dismembered & disposed of them while telling himself it was an investment in “Igor.” As he got older it seems he likely moved on from young women to people chosen cuz he thought they wouldn’t be missed. Each killing sharpened his skills & brought him closer to accomplishing his life’s work … Igor.

” As he got older it seems he likely moved on from young women to people chosen cuz he thought they wouldn’t be missed. Each killing sharpened his skills & brought him closer to accomplishing his life’s work … Igor.

Oh My Lord---that gave me the chills. It rings so true. he is so blasé and matter of fact when he discusses dismemberment and Susi's dead body. So cold hearted.

If he is found guilty of this, will he ever admit to any other killings? Like Vermont or Eureka ones?

I was listening to the audio testimony of one of the witnesses in the early days of this trial and faintly heard Dick ask or state that Susan Berman was not called until day 4 of Kathie's disappearance. I cannot remember now who it was he was asking this question to . I was really surprised they didn't put more emphasis on this subject because it seems to me if this was a true statement and there are no other facts to dispute this matter then it is the defense's smoking gun that Berman didn't make and could not have made that call to the school. Are they saving it for the last minute at closing? is this what's going on? I wonder if ole Dick baby has already thrown in the towel, one day recently I heard the judge enter an objection and sustain it on behalf of the defense without Dick even opening his mouth lol what's up with that? You pay this guy 10 million dollars to represent you and he lets the judge make his objections? LOL

If this is true, that Berman didn't know Kathie was missing till day 4, then the entire case "special circumstances lying in wait" has just gone out the window.

” As he got older it seems he likely moved on from young women to people chosen cuz he thought they wouldn’t be missed. Each killing sharpened his skills & brought him closer to accomplishing his life’s work … Igor.

Oh My Lord---that gave me the chills. It rings so true. he is so blasé and matter of fact when he discusses dismemberment and Susi's dead body. So cold hearted.

If he is found guilty of this, will he ever admit to any other killings? Like Vermont or Eureka ones?

Unless he can lead LE to remains, who will ever believe a word he says tho??

And recovering remains seems unlikely, possibly beyond Kathie, as he’s apparently dismembered them all & put somewhere unrecoverable - off a bridge, the town dump, etc

I was listening to the audio testimony of one of the witnesses in the early days of this trial and faintly heard Dick ask or state that Susan Berman was not called until day 4 of Kathie's disappearance. I cannot remember now who it was he was asking this question to . I was really surprised they didn't put more emphasis on this subject because it seems to me if this was a true statement and there are no other facts to dispute this matter then it is the defense's smoking gun that Berman didn't make and could not have made that call to the school. Are they saving it for the last minute at closing? is this what's going on? I wonder if ole Dick baby has already thrown in the towel, one day recently I heard the judge enter an objection and sustain it on behalf of the defense without Dick even opening his mouth lol what's up with that? You pay this guy 10 million dollars to represent you and he lets the judge make his objections? LOL

If this is true, that Berman didn't know Kathie was missing till day 4, then the entire case "special circumstances lying in wait" has just gone out the window.

I know right!! DeGuerin is no doubt a genius but he’s been MIA at times during Bob’s cross! I think he was distracted by the raging dumpster fire that had fallen off a cliff right in front of him haha … so busy taking panicked notes or writing panicked texts that he just couldn’t pay attn.

I do think the ‘no call to Susie’ issue has been mentioned a few times - maybe more of a fuss will be made of it in closing? But IMO pretty sure it’s not good evidence. For one thing, early reporting (author Matt Brickbatt?) said there WAS a call to Susie. I’ve never seen any details or substantiation on that, but at least it might not be so clear cut. Since Bob made most of his calls from pay phones, it’s hard if not impossible to pin down who he called & when. And maybe he’d told Susie in advance & no post-murder call was needed - there’s nothing to suggest Kathie’s murder wasn’t preplanned but Bob’s total-BS story.

Complicating it further - in NYC in 1982 when Bob murdered Kathie, no record was created of any phone call placed within the city to any other number in the city. Beyond the city was “long distance” or a “toll call” & there’d be a record produced, but all intra-NYC calls were just handled as a lump & not recorded separately.

Who knows where Bob was that night? If he drove to call Susie from somewhere within NYC, there’d be no record at all. Maybe there was no record produced from any pay phone call unless it was collect? That could be, as pay phone/collect are the only calls we’ve heard any evidence on so far.

As to the special circumstances… IDK much about CA law, so if you / anyone does please weigh in! But generally - there are 2 diff spec circ here, witness-killing & lying in wait-

Witness killing - doesn’t require that Susie had any role in Kathie’s murder etc; only requires that BD thought she’d speak to LE about him & killed her to prevent it. His statement that she told him LE had contacted her is sufficient to establish this.

Lying in wait - requires that he put himself near her or with her under false pretenses & killed her when he saw his chance. IDK how this plays out in CA law but seems to me that entering her home at her invitation & then killing her with a gunshot to the back of the head when she turned & kneeled to clean up dog poo should cover it….

I know right!! DeGuerin is no doubt a genius but he’s been MIA at times during Bob’s cross! I think he was distracted by the raging dumpster fire that had fallen off a cliff right in front of him haha … so busy taking panicked notes or writing panicked texts that he just couldn’t pay attn.

I do think the ‘no call to Susie’ issue has been mentioned a few times - maybe more of a fuss will be made of it in closing? But IMO pretty sure it’s not good evidence. For one thing, early reporting (author Matt Brickbatt?) said there WAS a call to Susie. I’ve never seen any details or substantiation on that, but at least it might not be so clear cut. Since Bob made most of his calls from pay phones, it’s hard if not impossible to pin down who he called & when. And maybe he’d told Susie in advance & no post-murder call was needed - there’s nothing to suggest Kathie’s murder wasn’t preplanned but Bob’s total-BS story.

Complicating it further - in NYC in 1982 when Bob murdered Kathie, no record was created of any phone call placed within the city to any other number in the city. Beyond the city was “long distance” or a “toll call” & there’d be a record produced, but all intra-NYC calls were just handled as a lump & not recorded separately.

Who knows where Bob was that night? If he drove to call Susie from somewhere within NYC, there’d be no record at all. Maybe there was no record produced from any pay phone call unless it was collect? That could be, as pay phone/collect are the only calls we’ve heard any evidence on so far.

As to the special circumstances… IDK much about CA law, so if you / anyone does please weigh in! But generally - there are 2 diff spec circ here, witness-killing & lying in wait-

Witness killing - doesn’t require that Susie had any role in Kathie’s murder etc; only requires that BD thought she’d speak to LE about him & killed her to prevent it. His statement that she told him LE had contacted her is sufficient to establish this.

Lying in wait - requires that he put himself near her or with her under false pretenses & killed her when he saw his chance. IDK how this plays out in CA law but seems to me that entering her home at her invitation & then killing her with a gunshot to the back of the head when she turned & kneeled to clean up dog poo should cover it….
Did they not check Susan Berman's phone records? I sure hope they did.

The special circumstances etc... I am no lawyer but I was a paralegal for 2 criminal lawyers in Dallas for many years. We only had 2 murders that I can think of, not going into detail but if I were those guys I would have not hired them LOL Anyway from what I can remember about Texas law you cannot use a case where the defendant was found not guilty against him in another case, period ( Durst's favorite word) unless I guess you are in California and you are charged with this "Special Circumstance" this is just a guess by me, but this must be how they were able to bring in the Morris Black crime and tie it into Kathie's disappearance and Berman's murder. If we have any lawyers here I would like to hear their opinion. I could be totally wrong.

The special circumstances etc... I am no lawyer but I was a paralegal for 2 criminal lawyers in Dallas for many years. We only had 2 murders that I can think of, not going into detail but if I were those guys I would have not hired them LOL Anyway from what I can remember about Texas law you cannot use a case where the defendant was found not guilty against him in another case, period ( Durst's favorite word) unless I guess you are in California and you are charged with this "Special Circumstance" this is just a guess by me, but this must be how they were able to bring in the Morris Black crime and tie it into Kathie's disappearance and Berman's murder. If we have any lawyers here I would like to hear their opinion. I could be totally wrong.

Interesting!! I know some states’ law well but almost nothing re TX. Don’t know CA law either - but the jury instructions will tell us all we need to know about CA law & how it’s to be applied in this case.

in fact the judge just gave part 1 at least of jury instructions the other day - i mostly ignored cuz was excitedly going back to rewatch Susie G’a testimony heheh. I’m going to find & post link to vid of jury instructions in case it sheds light on these issues for us all……

heres the link, now i recall that the sound is totally messed for the first 20 min or so, argh, but hopefully relevant info comes through:

Did they not check Susan Berman's phone records? I sure hope they did.

I know right!! Who even knows with this clown show

Based on my having read in early reporting that there WAS a call bet Bob & Susie B but never any details on that call….. I will speculate MOO that whatever phone records of hers were accessed show something consistent with contact with Bob, or else MOO there was something else consistent with such contact, but nothing that could ever be established as good evidence.

As far as Bob calling Susie in 1982 - they both lived in NYC. He could have just knocked on her door . I forget which apartment she was in, but it was either in waking distance from Bob's, or a short cab or subway ride. To be gruesome, if Bob had done something to Kathy in South Salem, he could have driven to NY to ask Susie where to take her to dispose of her, and asked her to make the Einstein call. Then he could have gone to NJ. No phone calls, and all the calls they do know about would fit.

I missed what the evidence was, but I'm pretty sure Lewin was saying that since Bob did buy a saw at Chalmer's Hardware, but didn't buy it anytime after the killing of Morris, he had to have bought it before he needed it to hack up Morris, making the dismemberment premeditated. What other use did he have for the saw in that tiny apartment?
Bob said there were a lot of trees in Galveston.

You can never be sure, but I agree that the progression of the murders would lead me to vote guilty on the jury. Especially being with Susie's dead body, and not telling anyone.

As far as Bob calling Susie in 1982 - they both lived in NYC. He could have just knocked on her door . I forget which apartment she was in, but it was either in waking distance from Bob's, or a short cab or subway ride. To be gruesome, if Bob had done something to Kathy in South Salem, he could have driven to NY to ask Susie where to take her to dispose of her, and asked her to make the Einstein call. Then he could have gone to NJ. No phone calls, and all the calls they do know about would fit.

I missed what the evidence was, but I'm pretty sure Lewin was saying that since Bob did buy a saw at Chalmer's Hardware, but didn't buy it anytime after the killing of Morris, he had to have bought it before he needed it to hack up Morris, making the dismemberment premeditated. What other use did he have for the saw in that tiny apartment?
Bob said there were a lot of trees in Galveston.

You can never be sure, but I agree that the progression of the murders would lead me to vote guilty on the jury. Especially being with Susie's dead body, and not telling anyone.

Yeah I was thinking more about this earlier too - we know Susie B lived in NY then, but I don’t think we’ve heard anything about where she was the specific night Bob murdered Kathie. Maybe Susie was hanging out somewhere in Westchester too, so only a local, unrecorded call away. Maybe she was even at the S Salem house with Bob when Kathie got back from Gilberte’s …. joining him in lying in wait. Who knows, just speculating MOO

Yeah I was thinking more about this earlier too - we know Susie B lived in NY then, but I don’t think we’ve heard anything about where she was the specific night Bob murdered Kathie. Maybe Susie was hanging out somewhere in Westchester too, so only a local, unrecorded call away. Maybe she was even at the S Salem house with Bob when Kathie got back from Gilberte’s …. joining him in lying in wait. Who knows, just speculating MOO
you know, I just reminded myself that Bob is a liar and we don't really know where he was, he could have had Kathie in the trunk of the car and drove to NYC and showed up at Berman's house asking for help. Duhh on my part, so with that said anything could be possible, and not one word can be taken for a fact when you are dealing with Bob. This is why my mother stressed so very often that liars and thieves were not to be trusted. I got that lesson over and over again as a kid lol

Wed., Sept. 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 55)-Closing Arguments (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (1 juror (#3) excused for medical reasons on 7/8/21). Now 9 alternates. Another juror excused (8/19/21) due to scheduling. Now 8 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.
State rested their case on Tuesday (8/3/21). Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) & thinks 2 weeks for their case & will begin their case on 8/3/21 afternoon. Judge Windham denies the defense motion for mistrial based on their client's health & inability to testify on 8/2/21. Judge denies defense motion for judgment of acquittal.
Upcoming schedule: Thursday, 8/26 ending 4pm, Tuesday, 8/31 ending 2:45pm, Thurs. 9/2-DARK, 9/6-DARK/Labor Day, Tues, 9/7-DARK/ Jewish Holiday & Thurs, 9/16 (if still going) DARK/Yom Kippur. Closing arguments begin 9/8 & half of 9/9. Defense closing late 9/9/21 & back on 9/13/21 with defense concluding their closing & jury should have case on 9/14/21.
Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-54 (5/18/21 thru 9/1/21) reference post #680 here:
https://www.webs+sleuths.com/forums...los-angeles-23-dec-2000-arrest.324950/page-34

Closing arguments will start on Wed. 9/8/21.

For Wed. Sept. 8th:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
15h
No court Friday. Lewin's rebuttal closing s/b next Mon or Tues. #RobertDurst And....Durst wouldn't miss it for the world....imo.

Before the jury is brought in, Lewin has some things to say. He warns that during closing arguments the prosecution will be calling Durst a liar.

Prosecutor Habib Balian will be showing roaches in/around a soup bowl during his closing as a metaphor to Durst's lies.

Balian begins his closing argument by joking that he saw some jurors sigh when he stood up and doesn't know if they relieved or disappointed that it wasn't Lewin. He then grabs this stack of paper and tells them not to worry, that Lewin has given him notes.

Balian on Kathie Durst: "..she became abused, she became controlled....she became absolutely dominated."

Balian on Durst and Susan Berman: "Together they embarked on a campaign to obscure the truth. To lead the investigation in a completely wrong direction. She called the medical school on his behalf pretending to be Kathleen Durst....he almost got away with."

Balian on Morris Black: "There's only one person that can lead police to his (Durst's) doorstep. Who knows about who he is. Who knows about the reinvestigation. And what does he do? Like Kathie, like Susan, he gets wiped off the face of the earth."

Prosecution closing: "We're here because he kills witnesses."

Balian: Facts supported by witnesses.....
Balian displays the names of all the prosecution witnesses. THEN displays the defense's - ROBERT DURST. (He says, I guess we could also put Dr. Loftus)

Balian: What's on the defense side? "The fantastical creations of one man. A very imaginative man..."

Balian: "He would even lie about lying."

Prosecution closing is full of our @LawCrimeNetwork
clips from our YouTube channel.

Balian plays clip during his closing from Lewin asking Durst; "How are we supposed to figure out when you're lying and when you're telling the truth?
Durst: I don't know.

COCKROACHES: You go to a restaurant and order soup, you find a cockroach. Do you just pick it out & finish the soup? No, you're going to send the soup back. You can't tell which part is tainted and which is not. "IT'S ALL INFECTED WITH LIES."

Balian in closing arguments says Bob Durst has to call himself a liar. The 2010 and the 2012 version of himself - he has to explain why they lied.
"Andrew Jarecki told me what to say."

Oh now we have "The best of all bugs....who doesn't love ladybugs...."

Balian says Durst was a social pariah and how does he improve that? He goes on The Jinx and admits he abused his wife, dragged her by the hair, chopped up your neighbor.... Durst testified Jarecki coached him as to improve his image...

Closing arguments in real estate heir #RobertDurst's murder trial began today.

Durst is accused of killing his best friend Susan Berman in 2000. Here's a quick recap of the case.

Balian on Kathie Durst, "One of the most atrocious things he's done in this trial is how he's attacked Kathleen Durst. It's bad enough he killed her....abused her..but he comes in here and calls her a cocaine addict... a flunkie.."

#RobertDurst's tablet died. Judge calls for early morning break. Here's the new YouTube link for the next session:

Back in session. Balian says this is the kind of info Berman and Durst were putting out about Kathie she she disappeared: drove a flashy red Mercedes and wore expensive clothing and diamond earings (sic). She drew attention to herself" - NY Post, Feb. 9, 1982

Balian: "How's that designed to help find your wife?" He reads more from the NY Post article: ...she did cocaine...suffered some sort of quasi breakdown...doing badly in medical school.

This 3D mask (far left) found in Durst's New Orleans' hotel room when he was arrested in 2015 freaks me out every time I see it.

Everything the defendant did in this case stems from covering up his part in her death and disappearance - Habib Balian, prosecution closing argument.

"His disdain for her comes out over and over still...." Balian talking about Durst's testimony that his family connection got Kathie into medical school.

Durst during interview with Jarecki said Kathie had a hard time making friends at medical school because, "everybody was so sophisticated and smart and had grown up in a place like me " - Bob Durst on Kathie Durst.

Balian shows this chart of events leading up to Kathie's disappearance. Durst pulls Kathie's hair, Kathie's black eye, Peter Schwartz attack, etc...

Getting ready to resume following the lunch break. Prosecutor Balian will still be giving his closing argument.

Balian: By Jan 1982, "this is what their relationship was like." Durst & Kathie.

Balian plays Durst's testimony where he explains the "dig" note found in the trash in the So. Salem home. Durst says, 'dig' was short for "digital" and he had a lot of other explanations for the rest of the list. Will the jury buy it?

"Obviously they were looking for body parts..." Balian plays Durst on The Jinx where he tells Jarecki that divers in the lake were "obviously looking for body parts." (About Kathie) Not a body....body parts. Balian says Durst let the truth slip.

#RobertDurst playbook according to prosecutor Balian: How To Get Away With Murder.....

Balian holds up the 3D mask found in Durst's New Orlean's hotel room. He said Durst claims he was going to kill himself, Balian: What was he going to do with this mask? Smother himself?!

Balian holds up both of Durst's guns and quotes what Durst allegedly said to his friend, Nick Chavin about killing Susan Berman, "I had no choice."

TEAM EFFORT! Balian takes a break while prosecutor Millius talks about the Galveston trial.

Millius says Durst dumped Morris Black's body parts in the Galveston Bay - Just like he'd done with Kathie's (dumped in water), but says Durst didn't understand how the Galveston Bay's tide worked and didn't realize they would wash right up.

Jury sent home for the evening. Prosecution has about 45 mins left tomorrow then the defense will give their closing.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Last edited:
Thursday, Sept. 9th:
*Trial continues (Day 56)-Closing arguments continued (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (1 juror (#3) excused for medical reasons on 7/8/21). Now 9 alternates. Another juror excused (8/19/21) due to scheduling. Now 8 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.
State rested their case on Tuesday (8/3/21). Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) & thinks 2 weeks for their case & will begin their case on 8/3/21 afternoon. Judge Windham denies the defense motion for mistrial based on their client's health & inability to testify on 8/2/21. Judge denies defense motion for judgment of acquittal.
Upcoming schedule: Thursday, 8/26 ending 4pm, Tuesday, 8/31 ending 2:45pm, Thurs. 9/2-DARK, 9/6-DARK/Labor Day, Tues, 9/7-DARK/ Jewish Holiday & Thurs, 9/16 (if still going) DARK/Yom Kippur. Closing arguments begin 9/8 & half of 9/9. Defense closing late 9/9/21 & back on 9/13/21 with defense concluding their closing & jury should have case on 9/14/21.
Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-54 (5/18/21 thru 9/1/21) reference post #680 here:
https://www.webs+sleuths.com/forums...los-angeles-23-dec-2000-arrest.324950/page-34

9/8/21 Trial Day 55: Closing arguments by Prosecutor Balian gave closing & also prosecutor Millius (from Galveston trial). Balian will continue tomorrow with his closing & then defense. Closing continues on 9/9/21.

Tweets for Thursday, 9/9/21:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
13h
#RobertDurst - Prosecutor Balian is wrapping up his closing and shows this graphic of "Susan's Killer"

Blackwell.jpg

Balian: What does he say? 'Killed them all of course' - That's because he did kill them all of course.

Balain.jpg

Balian: I'm not saying he's a pathological liar. He lies for self preservation.

Durst was ordered by the court to give handwriting samples. This was years before he admitted to writing the "cadaver" note. This is when he was still denying it. Look how he tries to hide his writing. Sometimes writing S's backwards but then forward, etc...

Handwriting.jpg

Currently on the lunch break until 1:30pm PT/4:30pm ET. Prosecution has about 20 more mins left in their initial closing argument then defense will begin this afternoon.

Prosecutor Balian ends his portion of the state's closing arguments by asking the jury to find Durst guilty "end his running. He's gotten away with murder for too long."

Dick DeGuerin choked up at the beginning of his closing argument: "I'm proud to stand before you and defend Robert Durst when almost no one in the world would do so but me and my small team."

Dick.png

DeGuerin concedes: The prosecution has proved that Bob's treatment of Kathie was atrocious.

Durst.png

DeGuerin: You may hate Bob, but hatred of Bob or thinking he's a liar doesn't substitute for evidence.

DeGuerin talks about Susan losing all her money trying to do a musical about the tragedy, "The Dreyfus Affair" and said he finds it hard to think of "a bunch of chorus girls dancing around about the Dreyfus affair.."

DeGuerin is finished with his part of defense closing. Court will return MONDAY [9/13/21] for David Chesnoff's portion of the defense closing.

Judge.png

As is the norm in this case, after the jury was dismissed things got heated in the courtroom. Pros. Lewin upset about some things DeGuerin said, Judge Windham telling Lewin to "stop shouting!" calm down and sit down. You know....just another day in the Durst trial.

Attorneys.png

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

DeGuerin: You may hate Bob, but hatred of Bob or thinking he's a liar doesn't substitute for evidence. The State had NO DIRECT EVIDENCE in their case. None.

The nasty stuff about Galveston---IT WAS ONLY THERE TO PREJUDICE THE JURY. That's it. We tried to keep it out but the court denied us.

THOSE^^^^ were the main things that got Lewin all riled up and got him shouting at the defense. lol

He was greatly offended that the judge didn't correct them or at least sustain Lewin objections. Lewin says that it was improper. legally and morally, for the defense to accuse the judge and the state of allowing in evidence for the sole purpose of creating prejudice.

And he said it was untrue, that there was no direct evidence presented, thus improper argument by the defense. Lewin was very heated--almost unglued.

The judge was telling him he was over reacting and said, although he did agree with his argument and agreed it was improper argument on defense part---judge said it was not that serious and the state has the last word and can rebuttal their arguments.

That seemed to anger and frustrate Lewin even more, that the judge was saying Yes I agree but no big deal, just fix it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back