GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember this - it wasn’t re location of her body (which is surely in Pine Barrens IMO), but simply that she’s buried at all. It was 2015 jailhouse interview, DA Lewin asked if Durp knew what info they wanted from him. Rather than simply say ‘info on Kathie,’ BD said they’d want to know ‘where Kathie is buried.’

Telling, yeah…. but IMO not as bad as when BD volunteered that the search of the lake by his home was clearly for “body parts” as opposed to for ‘a body’ or even ‘for evidence’
It wasn't the 2015 interview, it was during his trial testimony, on cross examination. To put it into context Lewin was asking how information Durst offered to provide in his 2015 interview wasn't a confession to murdering Susan and Kathy. Durst replied "I never said I knew what happened to Susan, I never said I knew where Kathy was buried."

timestamp about 30:20

The "where" settles the if, no question. IMO

… Patrick R. Dixon is a Newport Beach attorney who supervised Lewin for more than nine years when he was with the D.A.’s office. “I’m not talking about any particular case here,” says Dixon, who worked on the Durst file. “But often the suspects think they’re smarter than anybody else. If I were a defense attorney advising a suspect, I’d say, ‘Never talk to John.’ ” …

Too often it’s easy to determine who the perpetrator is. “I make my living off people who kill their wives and girlfriends,” Lewin says. …

https://www.lamag.com/longform/the-ice-man/

Mr. Durst was unable to be present in court during the reading of his guilty verdict because he was in isolation after being exposed to Covid. I wonder if he actually contacted the disease. Also wonder if he will be present for his sentencing?
yes...these are the things I wonder about. :oops:

well the court site HAS changed! Looks like it's going to go for 2 days of sentencing.

Upcoming Scheduled Events

Date Time Location Dept/Room Number
October 14, 2021 01:30 PM Inglewood Courthouse 001 SENTENCING

October 18, 2021 09:00 AM Inglewood Courthouse 001 SENTENCING

link: Criminal Case Summary - Online Services - LA Court
Well, Holy Smokes!...... Thanks for that latest info @Niner. Defense, Prosecution and Judge must be expecting a whole bunch of mitigation and aggravation, or maybe Judge needs weekend to ponder his decision??? Ya think?

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Thanks @taylorss for consolidating for the Lewin/Durst cross for us Lewin-groupies.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Thanks @taylorss for consolidating for the Lewin/Durst cross for us Lewin-groupies.

I know right!! Lewin’s mastery throughout this trial was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. He ran the show from start to finish, 3D-chess style, without ever breaking his ‘just a hardworking dude with a weakness for donuts’ cover.

And his work on this cross … holy cow!! 10x better than even the most carefully scripted “courtroom drama.” Just an epic performance by this brilliant hero.

I hope those links stay up forever because I’ll be watching & re-watching for a long, long time!!

well the court site HAS changed! Looks like it's going to go for 2 days of sentencing.

Upcoming Scheduled Events

Date Time Location Dept/Room Number
October 14, 2021 01:30 PM Inglewood Courthouse 001 SENTENCING

October 18, 2021 09:00 AM Inglewood Courthouse 001 SENTENCING

link: Criminal Case Summary - Online Services - LA Court
Reminder: Sentencing October 14, 1:30 p.m. Durst time @Niner

I know right!! Lewin’s mastery throughout this trial was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. He ran the show from start to finish, 3D-chess style, without ever breaking his ‘just a hardworking dude with a weakness for donuts’ cover.

And his work on this cross … holy cow!! 10x better than even the most carefully scripted “courtroom drama.” Just an epic performance by this brilliant hero.

I hope those links stay up forever because I’ll be watching & re-watching for a long, long time!!
Many of the 'talking heads' on court tv and Law and Crime, were castigating Lewin, saying he was too obsessed with minute details, was veering off into the weeds, was losing the jury because of that---and I was thinking the opposite.

Many of the 'talking heads' on court tv and Law and Crime, were castigating Lewin, saying he was too obsessed with minute details, was veering off into the weeds, was losing the jury because of that---and I was thinking the opposite.

To add, they also criticised him for talking so much about the other 2 murder cases. Basicially saying it was pointless for Lewin to talk about a case where he was found Not Guilty and another where he was never charged. They said it was a bad strategy.

I disagreed. I saw2 it as a necessary strategy because they jury really needed to understand his motive for killing Susan. She was his best friend and it didnt make sense he would kill her--unless it was an urgent, serious situation. And Lewin was able to show them it was 'either her or me' in Durst's haunted mind.

Looks like the court site took off the sentencing date for 10/18. It only shows today's sentencing hearing.

Thursday, October 14th:

*Sentencing Hearing (@ 1:30pm PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (1 juror (#3) excused for medical reasons on 7/8/21). Now 9 alternates. Another juror excused (8/19/21) due to scheduling. Now 8 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.
State rested their case on Tuesday (8/3/21). Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) & thinks 2 weeks for their case & will begin their case on 8/3/21 afternoon. Judge Windham denies the defense motion for mistrial based on their client's health & inability to testify on 8/2/21. Judge denies defense motion for judgment of acquittal. 9/14/21: Jurors deliberated for 3 hours. 9/15/21: Jurors deliberated for 2 ½ hours. Total deliberations: 5 ½ hours. 9/17/21: Jurors deliberated for 2 hours. Total deliberations: 7 ½ hours. Verdict: Guilty on 1st degree murder charge.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-58 (5/18/21 thru 9/15/21) reference post #766 here:
https://www.webs+sleuths.com/forums...los-angeles-23-dec-2000-arrest.324950/page-39

9/17/21 Friday, Trial Day 59: Jury deliberations won't resume until 1:30pm due to a scheduling conflict. Verdict has been reached. The jury deliberated for a total of 7 ½ hours. Defense is objecting to the reading of the verdict because Durst can't be there in person. Robert Durst GUILTY of murdering Susan Berman. (The judge ordered the verdict read without Durst present because Durst was exposed to COVID and test results are not back.) Statement from Kathie Durst's family on Susan Berman verdict. Sentencing hearing on 10/18/21 @ 9am. 10/6/21 Update: Sentencing hearing on 10/14/21 @ 1:30pm.
10/8/21: Westchester District Attorney Mimi Rocah will seek an indictment in the coming weeks against millionaire real estate scion Robert Durst for the death of his former wife, Kathie Durst. The grand jury process is expected to take about a month. Kathie Durst was 29 & in her final months of medical school when she vanished on Jan. 31, 1982. She & Durst, who was 38 at the time, had been married nearly nine years & were living in South Salem, near the Connecticut border. Her body was never found. At the request of her family, she was declared legally dead in 2017.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
workerbma
Back