CA CA - Susan Jacobson, 59, Sun City/Roseville, 2 May 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No medical issues that I am aware. There is a history of dementia in her family, but she has not shown any signs of it. Her mother got dementia in her 70s. There was nothing that I noted (or that has come up with other family members through discussion of all this) that seemed out of the ordinary with her in the days/weeks leading up to this.

Having said that - I'm not ruling out some sort of mental confusion or breakdown. She hasn't shown any signs previously, but something like that is possible and higher on my list of possible scenarios than some other things. It could fit the scenario of facts that we know, and she is close to 60 with some family history in that regard, as mentioned.

Favorite place...not really. She likes to go on walks around her home (at most a 1-2 mile radius) with her dog. As mentioned, she's a pretty private person. She does like to go to the mall to walk around - she goes to the Galleria frequently. Target. Kohls. I believe her plan for that day was to go to the grocery store to pick up a couple items (like bread, not to full on grocery shop), then to go to Target (opens at 8 I believe), and then to Kohls (which is in the same shopping center as Target).

My mom will usually go out once (driving) during the day, probably to run any errands, come home, then maybe go on a walk or two with the dog during the day. She uses a treadmill too (at home), maybe if too hot to walk.

Kjac, the part you mention about the dog is what I am very curious about. In several of the pictures I saw, your mom was with a dog. She looked like a doting dog parent. Do your parents still own the dog?
If yes, then I find it hard to believe she would have left on her own.

Kjac, I think you are awesome for working so diligently to find your mom. My heart goes out to you, and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it is to be in your shoes right now. Your mom is lucky to have a son like you.

Thank you Kjac22....really important to rule some possibilities out...you never know when that one thing is going to broaden the picture into determining what may have happened...I am certain this is a horrible position for you to be in and having to question everything...but that is what it often takes, peeling layer after layer back.

Could you please clarify that in addition to the car being unlocked, that yes her purse was in the car? If so, was it on the passenger seat, floorboard, backseat area? Was there any way to tell if it had been pilfered thru?

Kjac, the part you mention about the dog is what I am very curious about. In several of the pictures I saw, your mom was with a dog. She looked like a doting dog parent. Do your parents still own the dog?
If yes, then I find it hard to believe she would have left on her own.

Kjac, I think you are awesome for working so diligently to find your mom. My heart goes out to you, and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it is to be in your shoes right now. Your mom is lucky to have a son like you.

Thank you for your kind words - it is appreciated. She does have a dog, that has similar coloring and look to the dog you see in the picture(s). The dog you see in the pictures is my dog. Those pictures are pretty recent - all within a couple of years. Both of my parents love dogs.

Anything is possible, but I really don't get the feeling she left voluntarily. If she did, I would believe it involved some sort of mental episode or confusion. There were no serious family or home issues - I grew up in their household and there was never violence or any controlling issues. If anything, she kind of ran the household. My dad is a good man - he loves her. I believe I would be honest with myself here if I thought anything was amiss. It isn't.

Further, she was expecting her first grandchild, due in July. She was very excited about this and has been waiting for this. Her leaving voluntarily - the timing just wouldn't make sense to me. And also the other things mentioned - her being uncomfortable outside of her "comfort" zone and all of that - it just makes it hard for me to image her leaving voluntarily (without some sort of mental episode).

Thank you Kjac22....really important to rule some possibilities out...you never know when that one thing is going to broaden the picture into determining what may have happened...I am certain this is a horrible position for you to be in and having to question everything...but that is what it often takes, peeling layer after layer back.

Could you please clarify that in addition to the car being unlocked, that yes her purse was in the car? If so, was it on the passenger seat, floorboard, backseat area? Was there any way to tell if it had been pilfered thru?

I confirmed with Police that her purse was found in the car. I don't know too much more than that, as the Police don't want to release too much information about the car and all of that, given that it could have been a crime scene.

Thank you for your kind words - it is appreciated. She does have a dog, that has similar coloring and look to the dog you see in the picture(s). The dog you see in the pictures is my dog. Those pictures are pretty recent - all within a couple of years. Both of my parents love dogs.

Anything is possible, but I really don't get the feeling she left voluntarily. If she did, I would believe it involved some sort of mental episode or confusion. There were no serious family or home issues - I grew up in their household and there was never violence or any controlling issues. If anything, she kind of ran the household. My dad is a good man - he loves her. I believe I would be honest with myself here if I thought anything was amiss. It isn't.

Further, she was expecting her first grandchild, due in July. She was very excited about this and has been waiting for this. Her leaving voluntarily - the timing just wouldn't make sense to me. And also the other things mentioned - her being uncomfortable outside of her "comfort" zone and all of that - it just makes it hard for me to image her leaving voluntarily (without some sort of mental episode).

Did you say, or do you know if all women's shelters and various shelters associated with churches have been checked? Even if a little bit out of the immediate area? If she is okay physically and not abducted, she has to be staying someplace. If she was/is confused, she could possibly have been taken to a shelter.

Kjac22, your mama is a petite woman. Has any consideration been given into LE checking out the registered sex offenders in the area? There are some very much in the proximity of that shopping area. Kind of hard to be delicate, forgive me, but have you asked LE if they have considered this angle?? Maybe one seized upon an opportunity that occurred, being there early in the parking lot.....

Did you say, or do you know if all women's shelters and various shelters associated with churches have been checked? Even if a little bit out of the immediate area? If she is okay physically and not abducted, she has to be staying someplace. If she was/is confused, she could possibly have been taken to a shelter.

We have been checking some out and showing her picture around, etc., as we become aware of the ones in the surrounding areas. There are not a lot that we have found in the near area, but plan to continue to widen our scope here, because this is a real possibility. Good idea.

Kjac22, your mama is a petite woman. Has any consideration been given into LE checking out the registered sex offenders in the area? There are some very much in the proximity of that shopping area. Kind of hard to be delicate, forgive me, but have you asked LE if they have considered this angle?? Maybe one seized upon an opportunity that occurred, being there early in the parking lot.....

This is a good thought. We have talked to the police about the possibility of someone mistaking her for a teenager - as she dresses like one (jeans, hooded sweater) and from the back, the way her hair is, she could look a lot younger than she is. There is a high school not too far from this shopping center. So this is in our minds. But it is a safe area - and as people have commented, even at 7am there is a fair amount of traffic in the shopping center. I guess it only takes one sicko to see an opportunity and do something...I just don't know.

We have been checking some out and showing her picture around, etc., as we become aware of the ones in the surrounding areas. There are not a lot that we have found in the near area, but plan to continue to widen our scope here, because this is a real possibility. Good idea.

If you haven't already, you might check with WEAVE (http://www.weaveinc.org/). Their focus is more on victims of abuse and domestic violence, so from what you've said here it doesn't sound likely your Mom would've sought help through them, but they'd probably be very aware of any shelters in the area. They won't give you info about "Safehouses" but I'm sure they know of other shelters or similar resources.

ETA: I just remembered that WEAVE is specific to Sacramento County, but I'm sure they're still well aware of resources in Placer County, especially the Roseville area since it's so close.

as far as shelters & such go, I don't know how they operate out there, but I was told by a very reliable source in Atlanta, if a missing person is identified by them in their shelters, the most they can do is urge that person to contact LE...they can't give them up , for lack of a better term. It is then up to that person to make LE contact and say they are safe and let their desires for further contact, etc., be known or not.

Not sure how it works in California.

as far as shelters & such go, I don't know how they operate out there, but I was told by a very reliable source in Atlanta, if a missing person is identified by them in their shelters, the most they can do is urge that person to contact LE...they can't give them up , for lack of a better term. It is then up to that person to make LE contact and say they are safe and let their desires for further contact, etc., be known or not.

Homeless shelters as well as women's shelters? Gosh how can people ever find their missing family members who may be mentally imbalanced, etc.? You would think that it would be beneficial to all to at least allow a family member to know their loved one was safe, if not where.

yes clu, at least as far as staff goes....I guess there is nothing to stop someone from watching people go in and out though..I had asked specifically about Gail Palmgren and was told that was what they do, and they couldn't tell me even if she had been there.

sorry didn't mean to go O/T, although it is interesting info to keep in mind

Good points. I know particularly for WEAVE they can give info about resources but there's no way they'd give out safehouse locations unless they knew the person needed to be there (in which case, of course no they wouldn't reveal the person's identity or location). I'm not sure in terms of what the shelters etc. could give out for info once you contacted them though. Even if they can't say yay/nay on a person being there, I wonder if they can later go to that person to let them know their family's looking for them?

Homeless shelters as well as women's shelters? Gosh how can people ever find their missing family members who may be mentally imbalanced, etc.? You would think that it would be beneficial to all to at least allow a family member to know their loved one was safe, if not where.

True, but one reason may be, they have no way of knowing which family member to trust. What if someone came along and claimed to be the spouse or the brother, and was actually the one the person was hiding from?
I do know that psychiatric facilities, even state hospitals will not give out any information to anyone, unless the patient has them on a list of family or friends that are allowed to visit or talk to them.

But on the other hand what if this person is running from an abusive relationship.

Has anyone said Susan was mentally unstable?

I think that's the huge question here. Kjac has been pretty emphatic in letting us know that there haven't been any signs of any sort of dementia or something along those lines (even though he has indicated it is in her family's history). I guess it's possible to just have a major mental break out of the clear blue? But even if that's the case - not being able to locate her for a full month in that state/condition would seem unrealistic to me. Other than those areas that have been searched pretty heavily in the local vicinity, the rest of the surroundings are pretty much residential/commercial. I guess the only other major open space would be out along Fiddyment, which runs next to Sun City. She could have walked that way, I suppose, if she had a spontaneous mental break that triggered amnesia or some other state of confusion...

We still don't seem to know when the last time that Susan was seen by anyone besides her husband on that particular morning, right?

I think that's the huge question here. Kjac has been pretty emphatic in letting us know that there haven't been any signs of any sort of dementia or something along those lines (even though he has indicated it is in her family's history). I guess it's possible to just have a major mental break out of the clear blue? But even if that's the case - not being able to locate her for a full month in that state/condition would seem unrealistic to me. Other than those areas that have been searched pretty heavily in the local vicinity, the rest of the surroundings are pretty much residential/commercial. I guess the only other major open space would be out along Fiddyment, which runs next to Sun City. She could have walked that way, I suppose, if she had a spontaneous mental break that triggered amnesia or some other state of confusion...

We still don't seem to know when the last time that Susan was seen by anyone besides her husband on that particular morning, right?

No independent sightings of Susan prior to her disappearance is troubling to me, too....

^ yes, knowing the last time seen , or spoken to, by someone other than in the same household could prove beneficial...in going backwards with a time lime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmoh4