CA CA - Susan Jacobson, 59, Sun City/Roseville, 2 May 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be harsh, or unrealistic, as I am not far from Susan's age...but what would be the motive for abducting her? So near a Starbucks, young women were likely coming and going throughout the morning hours, though I know it is mostly retirees. But ransom is not an issue, apparently. I know offenders don't always care about age, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to abduct me, for example, unless they mistook me for a younger woman. And Susan is small and could have appeared much younger. But most random/stranger sex abductions result in the body of the victim turning up not far away. Also the time of day is unusual though I know some morning joggers have been abducted.

What other motives? Robbery, obviously, but how much cash would she have on her at that hour? Most people don't even carry cash, and her cards were not used, her car not stolen.

So motive is really mystifying me, as far as an abduction. Any ides on motive? I do NOT believe she walked away from her life.

Motive is the question.
Again, I feel that Susan did not walk away from her life.

But for the sake of hypothetical theories.... here's several.

Susan walked away from her life, and was afraid to tell anybody, so she "staged" the scene. Maybe she felt there would be recourse, if she wanted a divorce.

Susan walked away because she was mentally unstable and not understanding what she was doing, but yet, nobody has found her, so either she is hidden in plain sight, or she is far away.

Susan did not walk away, and somebody wanted her to disappear, either someone that she knows, or a stranger.

So, did Susan want to disappear, or did someone want her to disappear?
The reasons surely could give some answers, but what reasons could those be?
Several motives that did not happen were discussed, like there's no ransom,
theft of her cards (if they were in her wallet before abduction), but no use of the cards, no grand theft auto, no burglarizing of her nearby home, etc.

To me, it leads to the motive of Susan.
Susan is the "who and why" to the fact that she is gone.
Why would somebody abduct her?
Why would someone not want this quiet shy woman around anymore?
A random brazen act of abduction for what purpose? Does she know her abductor? Is the abductor someone she does not know??

It's unfortunate that there isn't much known about Susan and her missing status of what really happened to her.
I know for myself, I am rehashing the same thoughts, and quite frankly, I don't know what else to add here in this thread anymore.
It's redundant, particularly when there is very little to go on/work with. IMOO.

Know what you mean, Treelights. Hopefully a vigil or some other event will bring some media attention, and that will initiate new inquiries from the media for an update on the case from the Roseville Police Department. Then maybe we'll know more from what they say.....and don't say.

Before I became really intrigued by this case and joined WS, I knew I remembered hearing somewhere that the car was "pretty far out in the parking lot." I couldn't remember where I heard that. For what it's worth, I finally found the source.

Check out the posts by a local resident going by the name of "Solanum" in the comments section of this article:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/09/5406419/missing-womans-husband-clings.html#disqus_thread

In one comment (page 4, as I read it) Solanum notes: "This happened only a little bit away from my home. I was at Raley's when the cops found her car."

Later (page 6) Solanum continues: "One thing to note - her car was not found up close to the store. It was actually pretty far out in the parking lot, further out than I would think would be necessary at the time of morning she is thought to have gone there."

In another comment, Solanum also notes the frequent activity at that Raley's in the early a.m. due to the amount of retirees Solanum observes shopping when he/she stops at Raley's on his/her way to work.

There are dozens of other venues in Roseville and the surrounding areas that would serve as better places to accost someone if a stranger wanted to snatch someone or rob someone without being noticed. It is, however, the perfect venue in which to stage a scene if someone wants the wallet to be found, the purse to be stolen, and the "crime scene" to be contaminated by subsequent activity if the perpetrator's goal is to confuse, mislead, and deflect attention away from himself/herself.

"Sun City" is the name of the Del Webb 55+ neighborhood in which Susan and her husband live. The city is Roseville. Maybe you were looking at Sun City, Ca? That one is in SoCal in Riverside County.

Thanks for that! Sorry for the confusion about the two Sun Cities. I can't edit my post so therefore the best link to look at for the weather is for Roseville, California.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/roseville-ca/95678/may-weather/337221

I wanted to add several links to show the differences in temperatures in different areas of California, incase she would have gone elsewhere, but I see
it is way too confusing, especially with the Sun City reference and being the wrong one to boot, so I will just leave it as it is, and from this link, anyone can look up what the temps were in
a particular city in the month of May 2013.

Before I became really intrigued by this case and joined WS, I knew I remembered hearing somewhere that the car was "pretty far out in the parking lot." I couldn't remember where I heard that. For what it's worth, I finally found the source.

Check out the posts by a local resident going by the name of "Solanum" in the comments section of this article:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/09/5406419/missing-womans-husband-clings.html#disqus_thread

In one comment (page 4, as I read it) Solanum notes: "This happened only a little bit away from my home. I was at Raley's when the cops found her car."

Later (page 6) Solanum continues: "One thing to note - her car was not found up close to the store. It was actually pretty far out in the parking lot, further out than I would think would be necessary at the time of morning she is thought to have gone there."

In another comment, Solanum also notes the frequent activity at that Raley's in the early a.m. due to the amount of retirees Solanum observes shopping when he/she stops at Raley's on his/her way to work.

There are dozens of other venues in Roseville and the surrounding areas that would serve as better places to accost someone if a stranger wanted to snatch someone or rob someone without being noticed. It is, however, the perfect venue in which to stage a scene if someone wants the wallet to be found, the purse to be stolen, and the "crime scene" to be contaminated by subsequent activity if the perpetrator's goal is to confuse, mislead, and deflect attention away from himself/herself.

It's really curious to me in our age of video Survellience and that parking lot why we do not yet have confirmation of her actually even being there....or just her car and belongings.

It's really curious to me in our age of video Survellience and that parking lot why we do not yet have confirmation of her actually even being there....or just her car and belongings.

LE may have it and just are not releasing the info.

Thanks for that! Sorry for the confusion about the two Sun Cities. I can't edit my post so therefore the best link to look at for the weather is for Roseville, California.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/roseville-ca/95678/may-weather/337221

I wanted to add several links to show the differences in temperatures in different areas of California, incase she would have gone elsewhere, but I see
it is way too confusing, especially with the Sun City reference and being the wrong one to boot, so I will just leave it as it is, and from this link, anyone can look up what the temps were in
a particular city in the month of May 2013.

Thanks and no worries, I'm glad to see so many of us still so actively following this case! And I really appreciate anything you can find to post. I was just way confused on the weather thing but I think between all of us we cleared it up. If you do want another California city to look at in the Southern CA direction maybe San Diego (more coastal) and Temecula (more desert-like)? With the proximity to I-80 I have a feeling she'd be more likely to be headed towards San Francisco, CA or Reno, Nevada - voluntarily or otherwise - but really she could go any direction from there. And of course if headed East she could go a whole lot further than Reno, I just think that's the most likely direction to start in.

Once over the Sierras highway 395 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_395) is fairly secluded and I think it's the only place I've been that we had NO cell service for days. The phone went nuts receiving voicemails/messages once we got back to having service. I remember at the time thinking if I ever wanted to disappear this is where I'd go! I'm not saying Susan wanted to disappear, but if she did, this would be one possibility.

Thanks and no worries, I'm glad to see so many of us still so actively following this case! And I really appreciate anything you can find to post. I was just way confused on the weather thing but I think between all of us we cleared it up. If you do want another California city to look at in the Southern CA direction maybe San Diego (more coastal) and Temecula (more desert-like)? With the proximity to I-80 I have a feeling she'd be more likely to be headed towards San Francisco, CA or Reno, Nevada - voluntarily or otherwise - but really she could go any direction from there. And of course if headed East she could go a whole lot further than Reno, I just think that's the most likely direction to start in.

Once over the Sierras highway 395 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_395) is fairly secluded and I think it's the only place I've been that we had NO cell service for days. The phone went nuts receiving voicemails/messages once we got back to having service. I remember at the time thinking if I ever wanted to disappear this is where I'd go! I'm not saying Susan wanted to disappear, but if she did, this would be one possibility.

Great ideas! :)

I'm sick right now (ugh!) but if feeling ok hope to go out to the Roseville Tuesday Nights tomorrow. I haven't heard anything back from the organizers and the only family member I know of (of Susan's) to reach is via here and I'm sure kinda busy with the new baby. I was thinking of printing off some flyers to hand out and put with the car, but could really use some help with questions.

Anyone have more experience than I do with this kind of thing? I don't think I'll get into trouble for just handing stuff out or having it with the car, but is it going to potentially mess anything up with an ongoing search or investigation? I guess I'm kind of hesitant to do this without any kind of yay/nay from LE, family, etc.

I'm sick right now (ugh!) but if feeling ok hope to go out to the Roseville Tuesday Nights tomorrow. I haven't heard anything back from the organizers and the only family member I know of (of Susan's) to reach is via here and I'm sure kinda busy with the new baby. I was thinking of printing off some flyers to hand out and put with the car, but could really use some help with questions.

Anyone have more experience than I do with this kind of thing? I don't think I'll get into trouble for just handing stuff out or having it with the car, but is it going to potentially mess anything up with an ongoing search or investigation? I guess I'm kind of hesitant to do this without any kind of yay/nay from LE, family, etc.

I'm at a loss as to how less coverage would hinder an investigation. It not only keeps attention on this dear missing wife/mother/grandmother, but also puts pressure on the perpetrator. That being said, there are usually things going on behind the scene that are not being made public (be it a little or a lot), and I would definitely not want to do anything without go-ahead from the family.

IIRC, Kjac said Susan's habit was to park in the middle of the parking lot, so this wasn't unusual for her. There is a photo of the parked car on FB.

Yeah I had a boss once who made me do this with his car bc he was OCD and didn't like the idea of car dings/scratches from people parked in the surrounding spaces. Usually there are less ppl parked further out in the lot. I can see why she might prefer to park out far.

But to not get out of the car with her purse??!

Treelights - delighted to see you on this case! You are one smart cookie and a fact machine! Ty!

I'll try to find the number for the lead PIO officer so you can call and ask if it will help Investigation or hinder it if you spread flyers... Let me get it...

http://www.roseville.ca.us/police/stay_informed/crimes_n_arrests.asp

The above link provides some contacts for crime and public information resources in Roseville.

"Crimemapping.com is updated regularly with information that has been entered into the Roseville Police Department's records management system. The Roseville Police Department provides the site with public information about certain types of crime reports, including date, time, general location, report number,and the general nature of the crime. If you have a question about any of the data, please email or call Dee Dee Gunther at (916)774-5015, or the Roseville Police Records Division at 916-774-5031.

Neighborhood Policing
If you want to talk to a neighborhood officer about issues in your area of Roseville, click here to find your police beat and to contact your beat sergeant. For information about neighborhood watch, contact the Roseville Police Department's Community Services Division at (916)774-5050. For information about neighborhood associations, visit the Roseville Coalition of Neighborhoods website."

And for what purpose would "staging the scene" to look like it does, benefit Susan? Susan could have just vanished in her car, or took a bus with her ID, etc. Why leave the ID? Why leave the car? Why make it look like something other than it is?

If somebody did harm to Susan, why drop the ID near where the car is?
If the perp was looking for money or items, why not burglarize the home as well, seeing as Susan lives in the neighborhood. They have(had) her ID which gives the physical address of her home. The registration to her unlocked car gives the physical address to her home.
The perp did not want or need Susan's car.

What purpose would staging the scene to look like it does, benefiit the perp?
They didn't want or need her ID, they didn't want or need her car.
The credit cards are gone (But NOT used), and some cash gone.
And the most important of all the Valuables is Susan; she is gone.

Certainly, dropping her wallet where it was found, would guarantee that someone would find it.
Dropping the wallet where it was found, if there were cameras, could then view who dropped it, if they physically walked there.
Was the wallet thrown from a car?
Why is there No known video of Susan being at the shopping center or even near the area? There was discussion of going through video to discern if Susan was there (her car was there), but yet after Two Months, No video is being released.
What is on the video that LE does not want released? Who is not on the video?

So many good points here Tree!

I imagine someone intent on leaving would not make the action harder on themselves since it would already be a most difficult transition...

so it doesn't seem like they would leave wallet, cards, car, purse left strewed around... Much less left behind at all...

I am, too, anxiously awaiting results of the video LE collected...

Even if there is not clean, clear footage... I can't help but think there must be SOME useful footage from a shopping center that is modern and fairly upscale...

Just some thoughts... As I continue to be impatiently waiting for answers...

JMO

So her ID is found outside of the car? Am I right on this?

Why would she have gotten her ID out for someone? Maybe someone was acting like a cop and approached her window and asked for her license? Abducted her not long after? Has happened before...

Yes. It goes back to what I said a few pages back. The car was parked out in the middle of nowhere in this vast parking lot instead of up closer to the store within camera range. Why was it parked so far out there and by whom???

At this point, we don't have any proof that Susan was the one who drove the car into the parking lot that morning.

It's been 2 months now and I have a short memory. Were the keys found in the car?? I know the purse was and the car was unlocked but for the life of me I can't remember if the keys were found in the car or not.

I am glad you brought up the question if keys were found... And where...

I don't remember if this has been resolved yet, either...

another question that I do not recall being answered is what was her type(s) and place(s) of employment prior to semi- retiring...

I feel that the information regarding employment gives us needed insight into Susan...

Did she work in real estate?

did she work in the entertainment industry in Las Vegas in some fashion?

Just thoughts... And...

JMO

Here's the last I recall seeing on the matter of the keys (post #141):

05-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Registered User Join Date: May 2013

Her car was parked a little ways back in the lot, I think mid-way down or so (not right at front as you would expect during that time of day) - but this was normal for her. She didn't mind walking, wanted to protect her car from door dings, and there is always more activity at the front of the store (in and out, etc.) so liked to avoid all that. That is just the way she is - so I'm not surprised by that. Her car was found unlocked - this is VERY surprising to me. Susan is a very meticulous person - and always locked her doors, held tight onto her purse and wallet, and things like that. A bit paranoid of getting robbed or something (she's a small person). I did not think that her purse was found - I went back to the articles and there was one article that mentions her purse being found in the car - but I am verifying this with police because this could be a mistake. She always keeps her wallet in her purse, and always keeps her purse on her (wrapped around her shoulder - opposite shoulder to opposite hip - again, so someone can't run by and grab it). She would not have gone into the store with only her wallet - it would have been in her purse. She keeps her keys in her side pant pocket (she was wearing jeans, she would not have gone out in sweats). My understanding is that they didn't find the keys either, but I am verifying. From watching the interview (video) with the lady who found her wallet, it looks like the wallet was found on the Woodcreek sidewalk on the outside of the shopping center (behind the Wells Fargo). This would have been a ways away from her car, and heading out of the shopping center onto Woodcreek (right onto Woodcreek out of the shopping center towards Pleasant Grove). The money (at most $100) and credit cards were gone. No activity on the credit cards. She would never accidently leave her car unlocked or leave her wallet someplace, or leave her purse in her car - like I said, very detailed oriented when it came to that stuff.

From Kjacs post here Susan is known for carrying her keys in her pocket... So are they still in her pocket and/or with her?

I do not recall LE or anyone answering this definitively...

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member