CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Where should we even be looking for her?
RSBM:
According to the “updated” 3/31/21 press release, “Her family believes she could be anywhere by now, such as Oregon, Nevada, Colorado or Utah.

No mention of why those states, why now, or where this idea comes from. Is this from new leads or were these Syd’s favorite places- or places of interest?

Regarding social media, the last public post I’m aware of was in July 2020 when she did a TikTok video and sang “I’m dying deep down, I’m not as happy as I seem” to the tune of “row, row, row your boat.”
So the last mention of Sydney I see prior to her becoming missing was posted by her mother on this Facebook post Facebook
The details in this broadcast post are that on August 14, 2020 the dog Macie is reported missing and a Pawboost Alert concerning the dog being lost and then found Macie has been REUNITED! is issued . It says "Please spread the word! Macie was LOST on August 14, 2020 in Chapel Hill, NC 27510 near Behind Kings mill road - trails along Morgan creek" Later on in states the dog was missing for 5 days and 20 hours. After the dog is recovered, the mother posts she (presumably the mother) is in Charlotte. She says "sydney took her hiking.... I’m in Charlotte.. Macie chased a deer!"

What is significant about this post is that Macie the dog was reported missing the day the dog became missing and there was no delay of a few days reporting the dog missing. Also there is no mention of a concussion and on Aug 14th Sydney was well enough to go on a hike with the dog in the woods by the creek. 5 days and 20 hours later would presumably be the time frame that Sydney was either flying across the country or moving into her dorm at Berkeley, but the mother does not mention Sydney going to Berkeley. But she does mention Sydney was hiking with the dog when it ran away. The mother says she is in Charlotte so that means that apparently Sydney flew with her father to the West Coast unaccompanied by the mother who says she was in Charlotte.

Not sure why it was necessary for the mother to call Sydney out for being responsible for the dog running away in a public post on a Chapel Hill-wide Facebook group right before Sydney is flying off to college. The person in the conversation never actually asks how the dog ended up being missing in the first place so it is not like they are inquiring about the circumstances that led to the dog being missing. Not sure why it was at all necessary to post a public post across Chapel Hill mentioning Sydney's role in the dog running away, but it is what it is.

But reading between the lines it sounds like as Sydney was packing up to fly to Berkeley it was more than likely tension-filled because of the lost dog. And the mother did not fly with Sydney across the country and was in Charlotte.

Last edited:
So the last mention of Sydney I see prior to her becoming missing was posted by her mother on this Facebook post Facebook
The details in this broadcast post are that on August 14, 2020 the dog Macie is reported missing and a Pawboost Alert concerning the dog being lost and then found Macie has been REUNITED! is issued . It says "Please spread the word! Macie was LOST on August 14, 2020 in Chapel Hill, NC 27510 near Behind Kings mill road - trails along Morgan creek" Later on in states the dog was missing for 5 days and 20 hours. After the dog is recovered, the mother posts she (presumably the mother) is in Charlotte. She says "sydney took her hiking.... I’m in Charlotte.. Macie chased a deer!"

What is significant about this post is that Macie the dog was reported missing the day the dog became missing and there was no delay of a few days reporting the dog missing. Also there is no mention of a concussion and on Aug 14th Sydney was well enough to go on a hike with the dog in the woods by the creek. 5 days and 20 hours later would presumably be the time frame that Sydney was either flying across the country or moving into her dorm at Berkeley, but the mother does not mention Sydney going to Berkeley. But she does mention Sydney was hiking with the dog when it ran away. The mother says she is in Charlotte so that means that apparently Sydney flew with her father to the West Coast unaccompanied by the mother who says she was in Charlotte.

Not sure why it was necessary for the mother to call Sydney out for being responsible for the dog running away in a public post on a Chapel Hill-wide Facebook group right before Sydney is flying off to college. The person in the conversation never actually asks how the dog ended up being missing in the first place. Not sure why it was at all necessary to post a public post across Chapel Hill mentioning Sydney's role in the dog running away, but it is what it is.

But reading between the lines it sounds like as Sydney was packing up to fly to Berkeley it was more than likely tension-filled because of the lost dog. And the mother did not fly with Sydney across the country and was in Charlotte.
Her mother also posted a story (twice) after she went missing noting that Sydney’s prom date stood her up.

Since she is a so called free spirit, which could have made her naive, she might have gone with someone who gave her drugs which killed her. One thing, if my daughter at 19 years old was wandering around San Fran and staying in hotels, I would have gone there ASAP and brought her home.

RSBM:
According to the “updated” 3/31/21 press release, “Her family believes she could be anywhere by now, such as Oregon, Nevada, Colorado or Utah.

No mention of why those states, why now, or where this idea comes from. Is this from new leads or were these Syd’s favorite places- or places of interest?

They're naming four states that they think she might be in? That's strange. That is a massive amount of area to consider.

I'm reminded of the case of V.B, in October 2020 (also age 19), in the Sacramento area, who disappeared after she was terminated from her job at Home Depot. Early on, the family found out that she had purchased a Greyhound ticket to NYC. Months passed, but eventually she contacted her mother to tell her she was alive and well.

The precise details of how V.B. started over in NYC have never been disclosed (and per the family's wishes, the WS thread is now hidden/deleted), but it does make me wonder: could Syd in fact have disappeared and started over?

During that WS discussion, I was intensely skeptical that a 19-year-old (attending college, working, and involved with her church) could start over so abruptly, with no apparent planning (only a cross-body bag, no ID), and no known connections to the NYC area. From what I can remember, V.B had opened a new bank account, so there was no activity on the accounts her family had access to/could see.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that there is some possibility that Syd could have disappeared and nobody would know unless she reached out and contacted her family.

Is it likely? Again, without knowing too much about the V.B situation (her family situation, how much of it was planned, if someone helped her in NYC), I can't really say. Speculation, JMO.

Last edited:
They're naming four states that they think she might be in? That's strange. That is a massive amount of area to consider.

I'm reminded of the case of V.B, in October 2020 (also age 19), in the Sacramento area, who disappeared after she was terminated from her job at Home Depot. Early on, the family found out that she had purchased a Greyhound ticket to NYC. Months passed, but eventually she contacted her mother to tell her she was alive and well.

The precise details of how V.B. started over in NYC have never been disclosed (and per the family's wishes, the WS thread is now hidden/deleted), but it does make me wonder: could Syd in fact have disappeared and started over?

I found out V.B.'s mom did an interview on Youtube recently about her being found. It turns out she did stay in a shelter in New York, though got mugged after she arrived to New York and had some of her money and her phone stolen. V.B. didn't know that people were looking for her and thought her mom would be angry at her for losing her job and didn't contact them.

If Sydney is still alive, I wonder if she would even have her phone or internet access still. I don't know if she would even be able to see her family's Facebook posts or if she would know about the Find Sydney page if she were to have done something similar. JMO

Here's the link to the interview V.B.'s mom did (idk if the video is allowed):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UruJUq9HMc

Last edited:
I found out V.B.'s mom did an interview on Youtube recently about her being found. It turns out she did stay in a shelter in New York, though got mugged after she arrived to New York and had some of her money and her phone stolen. V.B. didn't know that people were looking for her and thought her mom would be angry at her for losing her job and didn't contact them.

If Sydney is still alive, I wonder if she would even have her phone or internet access still. I don't know if she would even be able to see her family's Facebook posts or if she would know about the Find Sydney page if she were to have done something similar. JMO

Here's the link to the interview V.B.'s mom did (idk if the video is allowed):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UruJUq9HMc

Sydney could certainly be choosing not to access the internet. She stopped posting on her social media accounts in July (at least the public ones that we are aware of) long before she disappeared.

She could have also picked up a prepaid phone if she wanted to remain anonymous and still have a phone. You can buy them at Walmart.

Didn't V.B. also open another bank account that her family wasn't aware of?

It seems like V.B. was missing for around 5 months. I'm not sure if that's correct?

During that WS discussion, I was intensely skeptical that a 19-year-old (attending college, working, and involved with her church) could start over so abruptly, with no apparent planning (only a cross-body bag, no ID), and no known connections to the NYC area. From what I can remember, V.B had opened a new bank account, so there was no activity on the accounts her family had access to/could see.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that there is some possibility that Syd could have disappeared and nobody would know unless she reached out and contacted her family.

Is it likely? Again, without knowing too much about the V.B situation (her family situation, how much of it was planned, if someone helped her in NYC), I can't really say. Speculation, JMO.
Just before that thread was shut down, a family member posted a bit of an explanation.

Apparently, VB was able to pick up a check from Home Depot. And there was a termination 'bonus' of 2 weeks of work, plus she had 2 weeks check waiting. So she had several hundred dollars and I believe she was able to cash it before she left the Home Depot.

So she took a Greyhound or a train, IDK, but made her way back East. And she did have a friend that she contacted there that helped her get set up. Probably gave her a place to sleep while she found work. Young people can get work in stores or diners pretty quickly.

Just before that thread was shut down, a family member posted a bit of an explanation.

Apparently, VB was able to pick up a check from Home Depot. And there was a termination 'bonus' of 2 weeks of work, plus she had 2 weeks check waiting. So she had several hundred dollars and I believe she was able to cash it before she left the Home Depot.

So she took a Greyhound or a train, IDK, but made her way back East. And she did have a friend that she contacted there that helped her get set up. Probably gave her a place to sleep while she found work. Young people can get work in stores or diners pretty quickly.

IMO I don't think it's far fetched that Sydney could have stowed away funds without her family's knowledge, given their very high economic status, regardless if she ever received a tuition refund or not

If they could afford to pay $15,000+ just for her college admissions consultant (source: Sydney's reddit) do you really think they would notice a little bit of money going missing here and there?

All you need to take a domestic flight or a train ride is an ID and some cash. I learned from previous cases that it's very difficult to track or subpoena these travel records for passengers in the US, even if the exact travel date is known.

You make a really great point - as recently as a few years ago I used to travel very far with barely any money in my pocket. I could always pick up a waitressing or bartending gig here and there without too much effort. Sydney's age and appearance would allow her to pick up these gigs very easily. I actually tried to engage her mother on this topic via the official Facebook group, but she did not respond.

Last edited:
Today per official Facebook group Sydney's mom says she called the SF police 6 days ago asking for any updates, but has yet to receive a reply. PI is still following up on a small number of tips.
SFPD said they don’t suspect foul play back in October or November, so I would not be surprised if they essentially closed the case. Nothing points to abduction as a serious scenario, so there are only so many things you can do to bring an unwilling adult home.

SFPD said they don’t suspect foul play back in October or November, so I would not be surprised if they essentially closed the case. Nothing points to abduction as a serious scenario, so there are only so many things you can do to bring an unwilling adult home.
Good summary. I’ve wondered though, what would happen if she did go voluntarily missing & was found. LE can report “safe” but cannot disclose location without adult loved one’s permission. Could she live in peace or would resources be expended to locate her & commit her to mental health facility? If I saw her looking healthy & happy & working at, say a cafe in rural SD, I’d be hesitant to call a tip line. Mo

Good summary. I’ve wondered though, what would happen if she did go voluntarily missing & was found. LE can report “safe” but cannot disclose location without adult loved one’s permission. Could she live in peace or would resources be expended to locate her & commit her to mental health facility? If I saw her looking healthy & happy & working at, say a cafe in rural SD, I’d be hesitant to call a tip line. Mo
I would also be hesitant to call in a tip if I saw her. <modsnip: Discussing social media comments is not allowed> What do people think police would “charge” her with? They can’t commit someone unless they are a present danger to themselves or others, so previous suicidal ideation wouldn’t qualify. Sydney had a rough home life and I’m holding out hope, however slim, that she staged a suicide (leaving backpack behind, dropping Beats and iPhone into the bay), and somehow made it off the bridge undetected. But I know that’s unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also be hesitant to call in a tip if I saw her. <modsnip: Discussing social media comments is not allowed> What do people think police would “charge” her with? They can’t commit someone unless they are a present danger to themselves or others, so previous suicidal ideation wouldn’t qualify. Sydney had a rough home life and I’m holding out hope, however slim, that she staged a suicide (leaving backpack behind, dropping Beats and iPhone into the bay), and somehow made it off the bridge undetected. But I know that’s unlikely.
I don't think I would call if I saw her either. She's an adult, if she doesn't want to be found, who am I to expose her? I hope she didn't jump, and I keep thinking she didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was 19, I was married, still am, same person, living 2000 miles away from my parents, in California, coincidently. If I saw her, I would contact her parents to give them relief and peace of mind. They deserve that no matter what. It's their child!

When I was 19, I was married, still am, same person, living 2000 miles away from my parents, in California, coincidently. If I saw her, I would contact her parents to give them relief and peace of mind. They deserve that no matter what. It's their child!
Respectfully disagree- she’s their adult child & she also deserves relief & peace of mind. If she disappeared voluntarily, I’d have to discern she had a good reason. Jmo

I respect your opinion, but I think Sydney has rights, too, and she is an adult. I would contact LE and allow them to tell her family she is safe but wants no contact. My opinion is that would be most respectful to everyone. But sadly, I was a long-time SF resident and I believe the chances she walked or drove away from that bridge are very, very low.

Respectfully disagree- she’s their adult child & she also deserves relief & peace of mind. If she disappeared voluntarily, I’d have to discern she had a good reason. Jmo
Agreed, she is an adult and I would value her mental health above her parents’, as harsh as that sounds. If she ran away and calculated it carefully enough to stay hidden this long, there’s a reason for it. I wouldn’t want to potentially endanger her mental health by reporting her location to her parents. If she’s out there, that’s for her to do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003
Back