CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I respect your opinion, but I think Sydney has rights, too, and she is an adult. I would contact LE and allow them to tell her family she is safe but wants no contact. My opinion is that would be most respectful to everyone. But sadly, I was a long-time SF resident and I believe the chances she walked or drove away from that bridge are very, very low.

BBM-- sadly, I believe the same.

I respect your opinion, but I think Sydney has rights, too, and she is an adult. I would contact LE and allow them to tell her family she is safe but wants no contact. My opinion is that would be most respectful to everyone. But sadly, I was a long-time SF resident and I believe the chances she walked or drove away from that bridge are very, very low.
Yes, contacting LE to tell her family would be good. They would be more than happy to do that.

Yes, contacting LE to tell her family would be good. They would be more than happy to do that.

Could her mother be putting this out there because she thought this added to Sydney wanting to leave N.C. or added to her depression?
I don't think so. Her mother also posted about the younger sister moving into Sydney's room and them getting rid of 50% of her belongings. I was struck by that communication to the world as being so unnecessary and so sad and upsetting if Sydney were to read that.

One of the first News and Observer articles said her uncle was contacting airports to see if Sydney had been spotted. A graduate student who was from Berkeley that also become missing was also missing the day she was supposed to take a flight back to China. I wonder whether in Sydney's last conversation whether they had demanded that she take a flight back to North Carolina, and whether Sydney just could not take having to go back to North Carolina.

If you take a read through Sydney's reddit postings, there were some regarding writing college essays that was started by someone in a thread talking about having an abusive parent/stepparent and writing about it. In this thread, Sydney posted a few times about crying and becoming upset when she thought of certain events and topics.

I think Sydney struggled because she was always under tremendous pressure to be the ultimate perfect, over-achieving, talented, athletic, obedient, beautiful daughter which is difficult for anyone to live up to, particularly when subjected to constant pressure to achieve, achieve more, etc. Her songs like "Underdog" and her sad posts and poems on Medium really speak volumes about her isolation, her loneliness and constant pressure to be perfect. I can imagine the constant accomplishment-based ups and downs, highs and lows, and the cycle of achieve or else would be extremely taxing to any child or young adult. By mid July 2020 she sang about "I'm dying deep down inside" instead of the actual lyrics "Merrily, merrily, merrily" in the song Row Row Row Your Boat.

Last edited:
I don't think LE would report a sighting to her family unless it was a totally verified to be her. Most reports of sightings turn out to be invalid.

The cops told us, when our friend's teen daughter ran away and was hiding out, that the best thing to do if anyone sees her is to snap a quick picture of her. That way the family can verify identity.

This girl was 14 when she was reported missing (not the same thing as this case and this girl probably had help of an adult). As an adult she went to a police station said she's fine and basically wants to be left alone. I'm sure a blow to her family. IMO

Florida teen who vanished 5 years ago reemerges, telling police she's safe, happy and has a support system
Nobody makes that decision lightly, so good for her for drawing the line. We don’t know anything about her past home life. She left and wants to be left alone for a reason (or multiple reasons).

Nobody makes that decision lightly, so good for her for drawing the line. We don’t know anything about her past home life. She left and wants to be left alone for a reason (or multiple reasons).

I agree. There are people who break away from their families, for whatever reason, and are done. I'm not sure that's the case here, but it does happen. IMO

Are the posts by her parents that are being discussed still up, and could someone post a link to them (sorry if again?) It does sound like a pattern (and a sad one), but I don't think they're allowed for discussion if not still linkable...
They’re still up on the family’s official find Sydney West page.

I know a bit about her past home life from talking with her friends, but I’m not allowed to post any of that here.

I don't think so. Her mother also posted about the younger sister moving into Sydney's room and them getting rid of 50% of her belongings. I was struck by that communication to the world as being so unnecessary and so sad and upsetting if Sydney were to read that.

One of the first News and Observer articles said her uncle was contacting airports to see if Sydney had been spotted. A graduate student who was from Berkeley that also become missing was also missing the day she was supposed to take a flight back to China. I wonder whether in Sydney's last conversation whether they had demanded that she take a flight back to North Carolina, and whether Sydney just could not take having to go back to North Carolina.

If you take a read through Sydney's reddit postings, there were some regarding writing college essays that was started by someone in a thread talking about having an abusive parent/stepparent and writing about it. In this thread, Sydney posted a few times about crying and becoming upset when she thought of certain events and topics.

I think Sydney struggled because she was always under tremendous pressure to be the ultimate perfect, over-achieving, talented, athletic, obedient, beautiful daughter which is difficult for anyone to live up to, particularly when subjected to constant pressure to achieve, achieve more, etc. Her songs like "Underdog" and her sad posts and poems on Medium really speak volumes about her isolation, her loneliness and constant pressure to be perfect. I can imagine the constant accomplishment-based ups and downs, highs and lows, and the cycle of achieve or else would be extremely taxing to any child or young adult. By mid July 2020 she sang about "I'm dying deep down inside" instead of the actual lyrics "Merrily, merrily, merrily" in the song Row Row Row Your Boat.
And when she was living at home, she wrote (in a poem deleted by her parents). “I’m tired, tired, tired, tired. Help. Will I ever get out of here?” Nearly a year to the day before her disappearance.

And when she was living at home, she wrote (in a poem deleted by her parents). “I’m tired, tired, tired, tired. Help. Will I ever get out of here?” Nearly a year to the day before her disappearance.
There is also the post about feelings of guilt and shame and freezing up when touched and assaulted where she said in part: "In the moment you were simply enjoying your life, living, thinking about your goals and thoughts of the day, and all of a sudden violated in a way that is so sudden and so scary and so out of context- all of a sudden you are reminded that you are just a body, there at someone’s disposal."

It is in response to this - Ted Bundy had white male privilege? and when you see it you probably want to copy it or make screenshots because there is a tendency for everything discussed to suddenly be gone within hours because it suddenly vanishes off the internet. If you want to have a copy, it is time to print it or screen capture it.

Last edited:
There is also the post about feelings of guilt and shame and freezing up when touched and assaulted where she said in part: "In the moment you were simply enjoying your life, living, thinking about your goals and thoughts of the day, and all of a sudden violated in a way that is so sudden and so scary and so out of context- all of a sudden you are reminded that you are just a body, there at someone’s disposal."

It is in response to this - Ted Bundy had white male privilege? and when you see it you probably want to copy it or make screenshots because there is a tendency for everything discussed to suddenly be gone within hours because it suddenly vanishes off the internet. If you want to have a copy, it is time to print it or screen capture it.
Right - her Venmo history listing a “phone” was mentioned and a few hours later her parents had deactivated the account.

BBM-- sadly, I believe the same.
I don't think there is any evidence that she ever made it to the other side of the bridge. In the comments on the Until They Are Found youtube video where they are pushing the abduction on the GGB angle, the mother is dismissing any idea that Sydney jumped. The mother says "The tide was coming in. In that case the instance of body recovery is high. A body was never found" and then in a follow up comment talks about homeless people near a restroom and a tunnel on the Marin side of bridge. Then someone asks if the backpack was found on the Marin side and she does not respond. Given she does not respond, it sounds like the backpack was found on the SF side of the bridge.

The tide went in and out twice a day Sept 30, Oct 1, and Oct 2 and she was not reported missing until 2 PM on Oct 2. On Sept 30, when she was last seen on the GGB at 6:45 AM which was before sunrise, the low tide had been at 5:14 AM, high tide was to happen at 11:51 AM, low tide was to happen again at 5:36 PM and high tide was to happen at 11:39 PM. Similar patterns happened Oct 1 and Oct 2.

The period between high tide and low tide during which water flows out to sea in the ocean direction is called ebb tide. The outgoing ebb tide went out the direction towards the ocean sea multiple times prior to her being reported missing. She was not reported missing on Sept 30 and by a few minutes before noon, the direction of the tide was out to the ocean. Rather than report her missing the morning of Sept. 30, for some unknown reason they waited until the afternoon of Oct 2 to start filing a missing persons report with the SFPD. Then, the missing persons report did not get put out to the media for them to be reporting on it until two days later on Oct 4.

In the meanwhile the ebb tide going out to the ocean direction happened twice a day each day. Even if they had done an under bridge Coast Guard search early on Oct 5, by that time 10 (ten) ebb tides would have happened with the tide flowing out to the open sea.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back