GUILTY CA - Teresa Broudreaux, 20, pregnant, murdered, Palos Verdes Estates, 4 March 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess we know what happened when trial was halted before it began now! Man, this case has been awful to try and follow. Maybe it will be better now?

Monday, July 22nd:
*Status Hearing (@ am PT) – CA – Teresa Broudreaux (20) pregnant (Mar. 4, 1980, Palos Verde Estate) – *Robert Allen Yniguez (65/37 @ time of crime) arrested (9/30/17) & charged (9/30/17) & recharged (4/30/19) & arraigned (8/29/18) & re-arraigned (6/17/19) with 1st degree murder with the special circumstance allegation of murder during the commission of a rape. (The charge makes him eligible for the death penalty). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DNA familial match.
Trial is scheduled for 4/11/19 for jury selection & trial starts 4/16. 4/11/19: Trial was cancelled. Next hearing is scheduled for 4/29.
4/29/19 Update: Charges were dismissed to give Prosecution more time to secure a witness.
6/17/19 Update: Arraignment hearing on refilled charges. Plead not guilty. After the original case, filed in October 2017, was dismissed in April as the prosecution requested more time to secure a witness. The case was refiled shortly after. Next court date is scheduled on 7/22.

Man to be sentenced for 1980 slaying of pregnant mother found dead in Palos Verdes Estates – Daily Breeze

A 67-year-old registered sex offender faces 15 years to life in prison later this month when sentenced for the slaying a 20-year-old pregnant Wilmington mother whose body was found on Malaga Cove Beach in 1980.

Robert Allan Yniguez, 66, of San Pedro was scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 28 after entering a no-contest plea to second-degree murder in Torrance Superior Court on Sept. 19, said Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

The plea was entered less than a month before his case was scheduled to go to trial, according to court records.

Oops - was going to post the same article as above - misread the article - thought they had found HIM dead in his cell.... :rolleyes: not...

Sentencing hearing still on for Oct. 28th.

@gitana1 - I need a new case # for this guy:

Robert Allen Yniguez, 67 - old case # was #YA096953. He got re-indicted on 6/17/19. He plead no contest to 1st degree murder & I believe sentencing is on 10/28.

TIA! :)

Since I don't have the case # for this - not sure if this is happening or not - but I shall post it - just in case it is!

Monday, October 28th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ am PT) – CA – Teresa Broudreaux (20) pregnant (Mar. 4, 1980, Palos Verde Estate) – *Robert Allen Yniguez (65/37 @ time of crime) arrested (9/30/17) & charged (9/30/17) & recharged (4/30/19) & arraigned (8/29/18) & re-arraigned (6/17/19) with 1st degree murder with the special circumstance allegation of murder during the commission of a rape. (The charge makes him eligible for the death penalty). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DNA familial match.
Trial is scheduled for 4/11/19 for jury selection & trial starts 4/16. 4/11/19: Trial was cancelled. Next hearing is scheduled for 4/29.
4/29/19 Update: Charges were dismissed to give Prosecution more time to secure a witness.
6/17/19 Update: Arraignment hearing on refilled charges. Plead not guilty. After the original case, filed in October 2017, was dismissed in April as the prosecution requested more time to secure a witness. The case was refiled shortly after. Next court date is scheduled on 7/22.
7/22/19 Update: On 9/19/19 plead no contest to 1st degree murder. Will be sentenced on 10/28.

Yes, it did happen.
Family gave impact statements.
The family hope he will spend the rest of his life in prison.
However, I don't know more than that.
Hopefully an article or a case number will materialize soon.

Man sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for cold-case murder of pregnant woman found at Palos Verdes Estates beach – Daily Breeze

I can't access the above article but the headline says he got 15 years. I'm disappointed that it wasn't a life sentence since he lived free for almost 40 years after raping and murdering Teresa and her unborn baby. I hope that he has no opportunity for parole. Since he is 67 now maybe he won't survive prison life. But, on the other hand, he could get out when he's 80ish. I guess a guilty verdict and short sentence is better than if he was never caught and convicted but it feels so unfair to Teresa, her baby and her family. My prayers go out for her family-- I hope that they can start to heal.

MOO.

Last edited:
Another article:

[...]

Teresa Fematt was found bloodied and bruised, wearing nothing except knee socks. It was determined she died of a massive blow to the head and a medical examiner found defensive wounds on her fingers.

The case had gone cold for decades, leaving the young mother’s family heartbroken and frustrated. But on Monday, members of Teresa’s Fematt’s family said they feel they’ve gotten closure.

Robert Allan Yniquez, 67, of San Pedro, on Monday was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for Teresa Fematt’s murder at the Torrance Courthouse.

[...]

He showed no emotion and stared straight ahead at his sentencing.

Broudreaux and Ronnie Fematt, Tesera Fematt’s husband of five months, gave victim impact statements about how the death changed their lives.

Ronnie Fematt, who was 21 at the time of his wife’s death, said he nearly crumbled mourning his wife and unborn child, while being under the shadow of suspicion of the crime.

“It basically ruined my life, because they didn’t have a suspect,” he said to the court. “They focused on me the whole time.”

Ronnie Fematt recalled going to the mortuary to identify Teresa Fematt, which he said still haunts him today. Her face was so damaged, he said, that he could identify her from a rose tattoo with her name on her finger.

He decided it would be best to hold a closed-casket funeral because of her condition.

“I didn’t want anyone else to have to see what had happened to her,” Ronnie Fematt said. “She was a fighter, she fought for her life and her daughter’s life. In her rage, that happened to her. He disfigured her face forever, killed her and left her to die.”

Ronnie Fematt said that his unborn daughter’s name was Sofia, after his mother.

“I never got a chance to be a father to that little girl,” he said.

Meanwhile, Broudreaux, who was 4 at the time of the murder, was taken from her stepfather’s custody to live with other family members.

Broudreaux’s childhood was rough, going in and out of foster care, she said.

“(My mother) never got to see my first day of school, she didn’t get to see her first grandchild born,” Broudreaux said through tears. “She wasn’t at my wedding and my children will never get to meet their grandmother.”

After the sentencing, Broudreaux said she was glad that Yniguez was behind bars but that “no amount of time is ever going to be enough, he got to live his life.”

Outside of the courtroom, Broudreaux and Ronnie Fematt embraced one another. While Broudreaux has one memory left of living with her mother and stepfather, it wasn’t until Yniguez was linked to the crime that the two reconnected.

“Everyone told me that he was the one who did it,” Broudreaux said. “My whole life, I thought that he was the one.”

But, she said while hugging him after the sentencing, “no one’s ever going to separate us again.”

[...]

Read more: Man sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for cold-case murder of pregnant woman found at Palos Verdes Estates beach

Just FYI Gardener, those two articles are identical. So you aren't missing anything in the one you can't access. :rolleyes:

I'm a little surprised the articles aren't talking about Teri's daughter forgiving the killer. I expected to see mention of that, since it's a bit extraordinary.

I'm a little surprised the articles aren't talking about Teri's daughter forgiving the killer. I expected to see mention of that, since it's a bit extraordinary.

Now, see I did not know that! Thanks for the info MsFacetious! :)

I have to remind Gardener - that he was sentenced to 15 years to life.

Just FYI Gardener, those two articles are identical. So you aren't missing anything in the one you can't access. :rolleyes:

Thanks. Was that part of her victim statement in court? I think that's good if she said she forgives him. Her forgiveness isn't for his benefit IMO. It allows her to begin to heal. I hope that means she has had good counselors helping her. She seems to have plenty of family support around her. I was happy to read that Teresa's daughter and step-father have reconciled. Sometimes past accusations that turn out to be false can drive a permanent wedge between people. MOO.

Now, see I did not know that! Thanks for the info MsFacetious! :)

I have to remind Gardener - that he was sentenced to 15 years to life.

Oh thank you Niner! I was so upset by seeing 15 years I missed the "to life part". I feel better about that. That's more like Justice. Thanks again for all your help keeping this thread updated.

Oh thank you Niner! I was so upset by seeing 15 years I missed the "to life part". I feel better about that. That's more like Justice. Thanks again for all your help keeping this thread updated.

I hoped that would brighten your day! :D

And you are quite welcome on my helping with updates! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hskrgrl1955
Back