CA - Unidentified & possible missing victims of Randy Kraft, 1971-1983

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Were the detectives on the Kraft case negligent?

• Yeah, they could have done more.

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • No, I love cops.

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
Yes, you are correct about Kraft's address and close proximity to the sight where Sandt's body was found. I remember reading about this a few years ago but thought the slaying was unrelated as I wasn't aware of the body's position or of the sexual assault. Where did you learn of those details?
There's an article Murder Inc posted a few posts back about the victim being identified. It mentions the sexual assault and the pants pulled down in that article.

Kenneth Bell

New update on a missing man found earlier this year, who had been reported missing since 1979 and found in Molalla, Oregon. He was known to frequent the Portland area and worked in the timber industry. It's been suspected he died of homicidal violence and the location is not too far from where Randy Kraft was working in 1980, although further than where most victims were found. It is possible he might be the "PORTLAND" entry on the scorecard, or possibly "CARPENTER", if he was working in the timber industry. Still speculation of course, but a possible link.

Another old case from 1973, one that I was not familiar with before. Nothing on NamUs about them or the LA Coroner website, but mentioned in this article from the Press Telegram. Apparently found early morning on May 19, 1973 in a Carson oil field. Could be a reference to OIL, one of the last entries in his scorecard but also one of his earliest murders too.

Attachments

• May19Kraft.png
    May19Kraft.png
    983.1 KB · Views: 25
I'm sure this match has been brought up a million times, but could "Portland Elk" possibly be Steve Losonczi? They do match up physically and resemble each other.
Missing Person Case (namus.gov)
Unidentified Person Case (namus.gov)
Original
Original

I'll submit it
Please do, it's a very good match with eye color, balding, weight and age range. He wasn't on the list (there's only two currently) of exclusions. Plus he has a Hungarian(?) last name (not exactly German but possibly he spoke with a European accent), and Eck was a common German word as I remember reading. I know Kraft had vacationed in Germany in the fall of 1982, so that might have triggered the connection to writing ECK on his scorecard.

[...]
NamUs UP # 4294 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 25 - 35 year old white male found on October 16, 1982 found at 341 N Mission Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90033 (near the San Bernardino and Santa Ana Freeways, not far from where William Bonin's victim, Charles Miranda was found in 1980). I also noticed that this UID was found east of the the Little Tokyo neighborhood of Los Angeles; I wondered if the "Hari Kari" victim on Randy Kraft's list was found in Little Tokyo?

Just replying here because this is the only mention on Websleuths of John Doe UP4294, found in Los Angeles in 1982. I haven't been able to find any other info about him online.

This Doe's NamUs profile was updated recently to add morgue images. There are clear pictures of his face and a blurry image of a tattoo described as a panther. Also, he is now listed as Hispanic/Latino instead of White (from his appearance he is obviously non-white so I'm not sure why he was originally listed as white). Perhaps this makes him less likely to have been a victim of Kraft, since as far as I know all of Kraft's victims were white?

warning: postmortem photos, though not too graphic: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Kenneth Bell

New update on a missing man found earlier this year, who had been reported missing since 1979 and found in Molalla, Oregon. He was known to frequent the Portland area and worked in the timber industry. It's been suspected he died of homicidal violence and the location is not too far from where Randy Kraft was working in 1980, although further than where most victims were found. It is possible he might be the "PORTLAND" entry on the scorecard, or possibly "CARPENTER", if he was working in the timber industry. Still speculation of course, but a possible link.
Another good lead Akita. I know that investigators had the dates when Randy traveled for work. I just wonder if any cold case investigator in that area has made the connection to Kraft.

Just replying here because this is the only mention on Websleuths of John Doe UP4294, found in Los Angeles in 1982. I haven't been able to find any other info about him online.

This Doe's NamUs profile was updated recently to add morgue images. There are clear pictures of his face and a blurry image of a tattoo described as a panther. Also, he is now listed as Hispanic/Latino instead of White (from his appearance he is obviously non-white so I'm not sure why he was originally listed as white). Perhaps this makes him less likely to have been a victim of Kraft, since as far as I know all of Kraft's victims were white?

warning: postmortem photos, though not too graphic: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
There doesn't seem to be any mention of strangulation/suffocation or overdose for this victim, but I wouldn't rule him out based simply on him being non white either.

Another good lead Akita. I know that investigators had the dates when Randy traveled for work. I just wonder if any cold case investigator in that area has made the connection to Kraft.
It might be a bit early to tell, I could probably submit a tip just to make sure. It's a shot in the dark only by way of circumstance. I guess we will have to see in his case.

I see three Kraft victims that I believe are Latino: Vincent Cruz Mestas, Anthony Jose Silveira, and Robert Avila. I wouldn't rule him out as a Kraft victim because he is Latino.

i havent seen photos of the victims but, mestas and silveira are portuguese names and most portuguese are caucasian appearing. none of which matters but, just an observation.

I am not sure if this has been addressed before, but in 2007 a John Doe's remains were found near the 241 toll road and 91 freeway interchange (eastbound), near Gypsum Canyon Road in the Anaheims Hills area. I also wondered if this was one of Kraft's victims. Not sure if Kraft dumped his bodies of the 91 freeway.

The article: Cold-case mysteries that have withstood the test of time – Orange County Register

Here is an excerpt of the article:
Caltrans workers digging along the eastbound 91 on May 17, 2007, didn’t immediately realize the bones they uncovered were human.

Then they saw scraps of clothing – later determined to be light-colored running shorts and a T-shirt.

Anaheim police, coroner’s officials and an anthropologist were called to the scene, west of the 241 interchange.

The bones told part of a story that Anaheim detectives are still trying to finish, Anaheim police Lt. Bob Dunn said.

The body, a male 15 to 40 years old, had been partially dismembered and dumped sometime in the 1980s, Dunn said. Officials collected DNA, but with no clue to the victim’s identity or why he was killed, detectives were left with no leads.

Still, there’s hope, Dunn said. Orange County’s population was much smaller in the ’80s. Even with the limited description, Dunn said a family member could remember the victim going missing 30 years ago. And with familial DNA, police could test the bones for a match.
Following up on this, they do have a NamUs page for this unidentified person here:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

i havent seen photos of the victims but, mestas and silveira are portuguese names and most portuguese are caucasian appearing. none of which matters but, just an observation.
I believe I have the high school photos of all three (no way to verify for sure) and Mestas looks lighter skinned while Silveira and Avila appear to be darker. Unfortunately the photos are all black and white which doesn't help.

Any exclusions for the Hawth of the Head guy on NAMUS? I can't see it because I'm not registered (I'm not American btw)
Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere before but:
"Hawth Off Head" found in Wilmington could have been from Hawthorne, CA as it is only 22 minutes apart. (Hence, "Hawth Off Head")
The pool table card found in one of the bags was from a Covina, CA shop and from Wilmington to Covina is on 49 minutes.

If this is the one in question:

Thumbnail

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP72085
Male, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found April 22, 1973
Location Found Wilmington, California
Estimated Age Range17-25 Years
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Then no he has no exclusions at this time.

Was just looking at a copy of the scorecard and noticed "Ripples" Don't know if its been discussed and don't know a whole lot of details in the case so it could be very long shot.

When googling "Club Ripples" in Long Beach, CA.. Could it be someone he met at the club as it was a gay club that first opened in 1972. Or a possible dump spot.

The History of Club Ripples
"Ripples opened in 1972, (the word Club was added a few years later), but Hebert and Garcia didn’t take ownership until 1980.

The history of the building dates to the 1950s when it was a gay bar called Oceania that closed in 1968."

Edit to Add: was doing a little looking he picked up

John Leras "SKATES"

17 year old John Leras had been seen the day before his body was discovered getting off a bus near Ripples Bar (a bar Kraft was well known at) carrying skates he had received for Christmas.

Last edited:
In case people did not know, as of this day, July 7, 2021, Kraft has officially spent at least half of his life in custody or prison. 13,935 days and counting. Just putting into perspective how long it's been, and how little we may have left to be able to get him to open up about anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo
Back