CA CA - Wendy J. Abrams-Nishikai, 21, Berkeley, 31 October 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes I actually did! I spoke with them as well but they essentially said they have no cold case division and kind of blew me off. Berkeley PD gave it more attention than Placer (understandable since they have more resources) but still. How can it not be her + why aren’t they comparing dental records if they have both Jane Doe’s and Wendy’s? And they have the same tattoo in same color and location.
Oh gosh, that's incredibly frustrating. And a bit worrisome to considering how many unidentified people Placer County has.

I'm a bit concerned that maybe they aren't comparing dentals because one of the departments may have lost the records. If that's the case then like what other people suggested it might be best to contact the California DOJ.

From my understanding the standard procedure back in the 1970's and 1980's was for departments to send dentals to the DOJ for comparisons within 30 days of a body being found. Hopefully their record keeping is better then individual departments.

If you still have contact with the family it may be good to suggest for them to go the LE themselves. Thank you for trying so hard to get them compared.

Oh gosh, that's incredibly frustrating. And a bit worrisome to considering how many unidentified people Placer County has.

I'm a bit concerned that maybe they aren't comparing dentals because one of the departments may have lost the records. If that's the case then like what other people suggested it might be best to contact the California DOJ.

From my understanding the standard procedure back in the 1970's and 1980's was for departments to send dentals to the DOJ for comparisons within 30 days of a body being found. Hopefully their record keeping is better then individual departments.

If you still have contact with the family it may be good to suggest for them to go the LE themselves. Thank you for trying so hard to get them compared.
I’m surprised after reading the blog comments that family (especially her daughter) and her friend couldn’t get more action from either police department. Perhaps the records have gone missing. I couldn’t imagine not knowing, but there are comments that she could be missing voluntarily or they know who may have “disappeared” her and are afraid. So, the reasons may be more complex than we can see here. Jmo

I’m surprised after reading the blog comments that family (especially her daughter) and her friend couldn’t get more action from either police department. Perhaps the records have gone missing. I couldn’t imagine not knowing, but there are comments that she could be missing voluntarily or they know who may have “disappeared” her and are afraid. So, the reasons may be more complex than we can see here. Jmo

Yeah, it seems this case is...very interesting to say the least. From so little being known about her initial disappearance to the stagnation in getting Wendy and Doe compared. Maybe the departments know something we don't, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Yes I actually did! I spoke with them as well but they essentially said they have no cold case division and kind of blew me off. Berkeley PD gave it more attention than Placer (understandable since they have more resources) but still. How can it not be her + why aren’t they comparing dental records if they have both Jane Doe’s and Wendy’s? And they have the same tattoo in same color and location.

I looked into the newspapers articles written on the Placer County Jane Doe from 1990, while Namus has a wider height rage listed, articles mentioned that Doe was estimated to be in her early mid 20's, 5'2-5'3". More evidence pointing to Wendy since the vital statistics match. Mystifying why in the world they aren't being compared, I'm convinced this is her.

11 March 1990, The Press-Tribune, pg 5

1673504103298.png

I looked into the newspapers articles written on the Placer County Jane Doe from 1990, while Namus has a wider height rage listed, articles mentioned that Doe was estimated to be in her early mid 20's, 5'2-5'3". More evidence pointing to Wendy since the vital statistics match. Mystifying why in the world they aren't being compared, I'm convinced this is her.

View attachment 394808
It does make me wonder if they were compared and didn’t match but records are not updated. The details seem so similar, but cross tattoos are quite common (although less common in this time period). Someone claiming to be a close friend wasn’t sure if the tattoo was on her chest or hand, I believe, and now this report says the Jane Doe had a flower, not cross? I wish the details were more precise and someone had tried to match her years ago, when memories and records were fresh. Jmo

It does make me wonder if they were compared and didn’t match but records are not updated. The details seem so similar, but cross tattoos are quite common (although less common in this time period). Someone claiming to be a close friend wasn’t sure if the tattoo was on her chest or hand, I believe, and now this report says the Jane Doe had a flower, not cross? I wish the details were more precise and someone had tried to match her years ago, when memories and records were fresh. Jmo

I found 3 articles from when this doe was found, two stating a blue flower tattoo on the chest and another stating a green cross on the chest. The initial details seem so hazy, it may be that Wendy was compared with the wrong information and ruled out. Maybe LE had trouble figuring out what the tattoo was because of decomposition?

I see others have tried to reach out to both Berkley PD and the Placer Co. Sheriffs Office, I'm going to try to email the Placer County coroner and the CA DOJ today and see if I can get a response from either

Last edited:
I just read the comments on that Wordpress blog where it seems some of her family have communicated with you. Did you ever try the email address for the California department of justice cold cases I think it was? It really seems like a match huh!
I actually did reach out to DOJ missing persons unit. They said they’d “look into this matter” and then nothing. I keep hopefully checking for news every time I think of Wendy. I can’t believe nobody is doing anything (seemingly). I’d be super surprised if Jane Doe was not Wendy honestly.

View attachment 394808
I’m seriously so convinced it is her. I just want someone to tell me it’s not her + then I can let it go but there still hasn’t been a rule out that they’ve released. I don’t understand what is taking so long to run a comparison.

I’m seriously so convinced it is her. I just want someone to tell me it’s not her + then I can let it go but there still hasn’t been a rule out that they’ve released. I don’t understand what is taking so long to run a comparison.
I also submitted to the DOJ recently and got your run of the mill response back. I couldn't find an email for the Placer County sheriff's office or coroner. I don't even know who is in charge of this case (if there is any).

It's extremely frustrating to see, Placer County has alot of unidentified bodies (24) despite its relatively low population. The neighboring county (El Dorado) only has 3 in comparison. I really hope that other unidentified people found in Placer aren't being treated the same way. It's bizzare.

If there's no movement in the next year or two on the case the next time I visit the area I might go into the sheriff's office myself, but I'm a bit hesitant to because I haven't done that before. I really, really would like these two to get compared though.

Perhaps there is a really good suspect in her disappearance and they are developing their case.

View attachment 394808
Wendy's nose is definitely off to the right in one of those high school photos. I think you are on to something.

There is very little information but I am almost sad for it. Why is there so little? She is listed as "voluntarily missing" so it seems no one is looking for her.. but nothing anywhere says why she is listed as voluntary.. I feel for her daughter and wonder if she will ever return.. I guess she was alive in Berkeley because he went to college and the case refers to the Alameda County police (Berkeley is in that county), but it is not clear...
This is another case that we will never know what really happened... beautiful young woman
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Before.the.dawn