CA CA - Westlake Village, HispFem 18-30, UP11249, pregnant, in parking lot, Jul'80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In 1980, it's very unlikely that a husband/father would have been concerned about immigration status. It just wasn't a concern before 2001. There may have been fear of law enforcement or worry about retaliation from the killer that might keep them from reporting though.
There also could be a language barrier as well.

Anjelica Castillo (AKA Baby Hope) wasn't reported missing in 1991 because her mother was afraid of deportation and also feared her ex-husband.
Baby Hope's mother explains her silence

"Baby Hope" Case: Why didn't anyone in Anjelica Castillo's family ever report her missing?

Here we are in 2020 - coming up to 40 years - and still so few matches according to DDP’s spreadsheet. In Sep 2028 they were saying cases with single matches had previously taken up to 10 months to solve; clearly this one is really really hard. Here’s hoping 2020 is the year for Ventura and her unborn daughter.

Just wanted to share for people who don't look at the Google sheet:

Ventura County Jane Doe does not have great matches-- her highest is 44.1 cm, which isn't too bad. As stated previously, a third cousin was found so that is somewhat of a lead. Just a reminder that the Google Sheet only shows matches from GEDMatch and not from FTDNA, so there may be more we cannot see.

Update from the DDP, and an important call to action if you have ties to the mentioned surnames and/or locations:

"DNA Doe Project Case Update: Ventura County Jane Doe - Westlake, California (1980)

Our team has had some success in identifying common ancestors between Ventura County Jane Doe, and her DNA cousins. Although we have found connections, and possible surnames and geographic locations of interest, these DNA cousins are very distant, and therefore we are still a long way from reaching her identity. This is where you can help! Please Share and upload and opt-in at GEDmatch.com and FTDNA, especially if you have ties to the following surnames and/or locations:

• Southern Texas (between San Antonio and Brownsville) and Northeastern Mexico (The Mexican states of Coahuila, Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon)
--- Common Surnames in this cluster: Bermea, Cantu, Casares, DeLeon, Garcia, Garza, Gonzalez, Guerra-Canamar, Guevara, Leal, Quintanilla, Robles, Talamantes, Tijerina, Treviño, Vela, Villarreal.

• Central Mexico (The Mexican states of Zacatecas, Guanajuato, and San Luis Potosi)
--- Common Surnames in this cluster: Aguirre, Alvarez, Arriaga, Ayala, Bañuelos, Chavez, Escobedo, Esquivel, Perez, Rubio, Sustaita, Zavala.

• Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado.
--- Common Surnames in this cluster: Cordova, Gallegos, Martin-Serrano, Martinez, Montoya, Peralta, Romero,

• Indigenous California
--- Common Surnames in this cluster: Rios, Uribes, Soto, Lara, Romero

• Guatemala
--- Common Surnames in this cluster: Lopez

s of Wednesday, January 8, 2020, her highest match is 44.6cM, which means this DNA cousin could have a connection of an estimated 4 to 8 generations back. We can’t see 86% of her matches (86% of her matches are not "Opted-In"). Please upload, opt-in and share this post. Thank you!

Special thanks to Carl Koppelman for his amazing photo reconstruction.

Links to More Information:
https://dnadoeproject.org/case/ventura-co-jane-doe/
https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject/posts/2183765851882188

For more information on the DNA Doe Project and our other cases, visit our website: http://dnadoeproject.org/

For more information and help on uploading to GEDmatch:
https://help.forensicgenealogytraining.org/

#DNADoeProject
#GEDmatchOptIN
#OptIN #VenturaCountyJaneDoe
#VenturaCountySheriffsDepartment "

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when they reveal some information in such a manner!
It attracts more interest to a case, points out plausible geographic areas of origin and will get more people to OptIn.
It could even catch the eye of a friend or relative!
They did the same for New Britain Jane Doe and Grundy County Jane Doe.
I hope they do the same for St Tammany Parish John Doe and Vernon County Jane Doe.
Their highest matches are quite low and I have a soft spot for murdered elderly people.

Last edited:
I like the info releases too, but it does show how it takes a village to ID people because the reach of DNA databases is still minimal in some geographic areas and ethnic groups. I hope this post brings a whole lot of new leads.

Since early Jan 2021 the new highest match has been 104.5, coinciding with the change in GED Match's terms of service. Her number of matches also jumped from 423 to 1551 - hopefully some of that data is helping fill out a tree.

@Dylansmom08 has this case been publicised on the Mexican MP groups that you have seen, given the call for families of specific names in specific areas?

upload_2021-3-13_17-48-45.png

There also could be a language barrier as well.

Anjelica Castillo (AKA Baby Hope) wasn't reported missing in 1991 because her mother was afraid of deportation and also feared her ex-husband.
Baby Hope's mother explains her silence

"Baby Hope" Case: Why didn't anyone in Anjelica Castillo's family ever report her missing?

still catching up...

Yes, by 1991, concerns about immigration status were definitely real. I probably overstated the lack of concern in 1980, but it mostly wasn't as big an issue for most people until later in the decade. People would probably have been worried about it, but likely not to the point of not seeking help for a child or spouse.

A language barrier is definitely a possibility, as is fear of an abuser.

But all I all, I imagine the person who didn't report her missing is the one who caused her to be missing, as in so many other sad cases...

She now has one exclusion. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

MP1698 Melanie Flynn 02/26/1977 Fayette KY

I saw same woman suggested on page 3.anyone know if it was ever submitted? If not I will submit it later today if no one else have.

Do you think Jane doe here might be a first nations woman as well?

Hmm. Clovis County, NM where she went missing from is 15 hours away. She was killed 10-12 hours before she was found...
That's a timeline that makes sense. Ventura is an almost straight line west across Arizona as well.

Wondering if she originally left because she was pregnant, moved in with the father of the child. Then 5 to 6 months later she is unfortunate to bump into the man that ends her life.

Last edited:
According to her Gedmatch, she has a bit more than 50% Native heritage, the remaining 50% is quite equally African and European.
There are two possibilities, either she had one fully Native parent and one biracial Euro/African. Or, what is more likely, she came from a Hispanic country with a high level of Native admix. Some parts of Mexico (the more rural and the more south you go, the more Native heritage) have that and most of Mesoamerica. It would rule out Carribean islands as they usually have a lesser amount of Native admix.

According to her Gedmatch, she has a bit more than 50% Native heritage, the remaining 50% is quite equally African and European.
There are two possibilities, either she had one fully Native parent and one biracial Euro/African. Or, what is more likely, she came from a Hispanic country with a high level of Native admix. Some parts of Mexico (the more rural and the more south you go, the more Native heritage) have that and most of Mesoamerica. It would rule out Carribean islands as they usually have a lesser amount of Native admix.
With her surnames being more Hispanic, the biracial parent was probably her father and the biracial one being her mother.

With her surnames being more Hispanic, the biracial parent was probably her father and the biracial one being her mother.

Because we pretty much only seem to have Hispanic surnames in the analysis, I tend towards my option no2. That she was Hispanic from a part of the Hispanic world that has a higher Native admix. Both parents would have carried a similar multiracial profile (I call that "the colors of the whole world"), typical for many Latinx people.

It is entirely possible, too, that she had one biracial AA/Euroamerican parent and one 100% Native and one parents genealogy dominates over the other one because of endogamy (to illustrate, I am not biracial but paternally I come from severe endogamy and maternally not and you see it clearly in my matches, most of them are from dads side).

But I still somehow tend towards her being fully Hispanic because of the sheer exclusivity of Hispanic surnames in her matches.

Because we pretty much only seem to have Hispanic surnames in the analysis, I tend towards my option no2. That she was Hispanic from a part of the Hispanic world that has a higher Native admix. Both parents would have carried a similar multiracial profile (I call that "the colors of the whole world"), typical for many Latinx people.

It is entirely possible, too, that she had one biracial AA/Euroamerican parent and one 100% Native and one parents genealogy dominates over the other one because of endogamy (to illustrate, I am not biracial but paternally I come from severe endogamy and maternally not and you see it clearly in my matches, most of them are from dads side).

But I still somehow tend towards her being fully Hispanic because of the sheer exclusivity of Hispanic surnames in her matches.
Perhaps she considered herself racially ambiguous?

Perhaps she considered herself racially ambiguous?

I dont think that was a thing in 1980... and it should not matter in her identification. I am not Latinx, so bear with me and correct me, if necessary (cvaldez, mrsx and others, feel free to rip me apart :) ), but if say most of the Latinx world is pretty multiethnic due to its turbulent history of 500 years of spanish colonialism, indigenous genocide and exploitation, forced conversions and exploitation of enslaved people from Africa. That is reflected in the genetic makeup. And that is what I see in Ventura JDs profile.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54
Back