CA CA - Wilmington, WhtMale 1155UMCA, 17-25, off Terminal Island Freeway, Feb'73

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just submitted Matt Amon, from Iowa to the Doe Network as a potential match.

I saw his photo at NCMEC and quickly remembered the LAPD sketch of Wilmington John Doe. Law enforcement should be able to compare the two because they both have dental/fingerprint availability. I'm assuming the John Doe was cremated and DNA tests are impossible.

AmonWilmington compare.jpg

Both recons look a lot like NASCAR driver Elliott Sadler to me... Although we know he isn't missing.... Completely useless information I know, but he does look like him.

I haven't revised this one in several years, so I did a little more work on it today.

7eb9ef16-873d-4cca-a730-68f3c34d3755.jpg

CONTENT WARNING: The NamUs page for this John Doe has been updated, which includes a new postmortem image on them laying on the ground, presumably in the position that they were found, face up. The other is a higher resolution version of the previous postmortem photo of them that Carl Koppelman had reconstructed. Please be careful about viewing the images in NamUs!

Also, according to the LA County Coroner whom I had reached out to a week ago, this Doe has an item that they have requested to have tested for DNA. It has already been documented here that their body was cremated, but it seems the sock was saved, thankfully. It may still be possible to get DNA, but I do not know the timetable for this extraction or if it will be successful. Either way, I hope that it is, and that this person can get their name back!

Exclusions The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
MP38268 Alan Bourque 03/10/1970 Orleans LA
MP28176 John Corbett 07/01/1972 Monroe NY
MP39511 Melvin Murphy 03/25/1971 Washington ME
MP33342 Robert Newborg 05/01/1969 El Paso CO
MP37983 Glen Walls 11/08/1972 Cascade MT

That's really good news that they might be able to get DNA.

Maybe I'm confusing this with another Doe case, but weren't there several witnesses that said that they saw this guy frequently at gay bars? Sounds to me like he might be native to California.

I think Wilmington John Doe found in April 1973 was also someone we know was hanging around gay bars, but you are also correct for this decedent. According to Dennis McDougal's book on Kraft, a few gay people said they recognized this John Doe as a hustler, and I quote, "soliciting tricks along Belmont Shore bluffs that overlook the beach near Cherry Avenue". I don't know if they were ever shown the body/photos of the body, or just sketches of his face that were made and distributed. If he was homosexual and native to the area, he may have been living a transient lifestyle with no known stable address. It would explain the possibility that he was not on good terms with family, and thus not having people recognize him as missing. People probably knew/lived with this person, but maybe they were not local, or he had few friends. There are just so many possibilities to speculate on.

Last edited:
Exclusions The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
MP38268 Alan Bourque 03/10/1970 Orleans LA
MP28176 John Corbett 07/01/1972 Monroe NY
MP39511 Melvin Murphy 03/25/1971 Washington ME
MP33342 Robert Newborg 05/01/1969 El Paso CO
MP37983 Glen Walls 11/08/1972 Cascade MT

That's really good news that they might be able to get DNA.

Thank you for posting the list! And yes, I am hoping they are able to. It might be a small amount of DNA, but we've apparently already seen that even a small amount of available material can lead to a match with a victim. See: Rodney Johnson
I wonder if Othram, Inc. might be someone they could reach out to about this. Apparently they are pretty serious about solving cold cases, and they were involved in Rodney's identification.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back