Found Deceased CA - Yohanes Kidane, 22, Netflix software engineer, entered Uber in San Jose, pers items found near Golden Gate Bridge, 15 Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am very worried that this young man was feeling overwhelmed, especially with his belongings being found but not him. Add in the Golden Gate Bridge, and I suspect he has harmed himself.
This too was my first thought, sadly. In regards to the first Uber trip that wouldn’t take him where he wanted to go…my first thought there was that the driver potentially came to suspect he was going to harm himself - and this is why he refused to take him where he wanted..and also why he took him elsewhere that the driver referenced as “safer”. I don’t feel that the Uber (either ride) was any part foul play. All JMO. I hope and pray for him to come home safely though..

This is a very sad audio report from NPR. It's about 8 minutes long. It appears they do have cameras. This report is old however. It's from 2006.
I know that adding netting below the bridge was considered. Does anyone know if it was ever done?
It is sad, and it is such a beautiful spot. When I was 7 years old I saw a man jump off the GG Bridge, and it is something I'll never forget. Neighbors had invited me to go with their family to the San Fran Zoo. When we were driving across the bridge I saw a man climb onto the rail, and I screamed for the driver to stop. Then, looking back, I said "it's too late, he just jumped." I was very upset, but the two adults in the car didn't believe me. The next morning they came to our house, carrying the morning newspaper, and said they owed me an apology. There was an article about a man jumping from the bridge at the exact time we were driving across the bridge.

I hope this won't be the case with Yohanes. I'm hoping that he was overwhelmed, and that the articles being left there were staged.

I’m really hoping he didn’t self harm. His personal items being left so close to the GGB is troubling. Its like he was leaving a trail of bread crumbs. Was this his way of letting his family know where they would find him? I too, believe the Uber driver felt something was off, so he drove YK as far away from GGB as he could. If this turns out to be the case, then that guy has restored my faith in humanity. I pray the outcome is a positive one. But I have a bad feeling about this.

@LaborDayRN - there's a good update from 2023 by the SF Standard (a new local "news" outlet) on YouTube about the net project.... it took 15 years.... but they're almost done.

The way it looks though, it's a deterrent. But not a preventative...

His parents and brother have been in town looking for him. It's so heartbreaking to hear the mom- I am hoping for the best, he is so loved.

Last edited:
Does the GGB not have cameras? One would think it would…

My understanding is that it does have cameras but it is possible to jump from locations where the jump won't be captured on camera. It's also possible that it wouldn't be captured if there was a lot of fog. Maybe also during the darkness of night?

I think they can sometimes show family footage of their relative walking onto the bridge. JMO.

His brother "said there is footage of someone that looks like Yohanes at the Golden Gate Bridge, but the cameras were reportedly not good enough to identify Yohanes..."

I know that adding netting below the bridge was considered. Does anyone know if it was ever done?

I think the barrier is actually in the works right now, but they aren't finished with it. Just my opinion.

To those speculating the first Über ride was a driver who actually sensed he needed to be driven to a safe location, that is a very interesting idea. And if true, hopefully that driver will come forward and talk to LE about any conversation he with Yohanes.

Yohanes is described as exceptionally intelligent, kind, hard-working, and driven. If he was experiencing difficulties he couldn't overcome but kept it all hidden, what a tragedy.

In our society, I've noticed people are told to "be strong" or are told, "I wish you strength" during hard times. The phrase has always felt so wrong to me. No one should always have to be strong. We need to allow people to be weak sometimes.

My understanding is that it does have cameras but it is possible to jump from locations where the jump won't be captured on camera. It's also possible that it wouldn't be captured if there was a lot of fog. Maybe also during the darkness of night?

I think they can sometimes show family footage of their relative walking onto the bridge. JMO.
That was my thought, even if they didn’t catch him on video on the bridge… did they see him at the bridge. I hadn’t seen his brother’s comment.

This is so sad :(. I hope his family finds answers soon. I also hope this young man just decided to take a break. I live about 5 miles from a very high suspension bridge where people die by suicide more times a month than I’d like to admit. We always know about it because it’s not a walking bridge. So the person has to park on a working lane and jump. It backs up traffic until someone removes the vehicle. It’s very sad and I can’t imagine the pain someone has to be going through to do this.

This is a very sad audio report from NPR. It's about 8 minutes long. It appears they do have cameras. This report is old however. It's from 2006.

Picture of safety net from SF Standard
IMG_7116.jpg

IMHO There is a lot going on with this situation. I hope the best for this young man and his family. There is much going on in people's lives and changes in some one's life can be overwhelming. NOTHING AGAINST UBER ... But there have been serious crimes not always directly related to Uber. Something is hinky. Men in general may not view themselves as prey like females do. My husband of MANY years (who knows everything hmm) feels he can do anything any where without harm coming to him.
Hopefully, this is not another sad story.

This young man is a recent college graduate, who recently moved away from his supportive family, and started a new job/position. The previous incident with Uber is rather odd. His phone, wallet and money, and backpack with 2 laptops being found undisturbed are suspect. Unfortunately, this is often seen on WS. I hope this young man can be brought home.

Perhaps they are purposely not releasing the information, which is understandable. I note the article that said someone who resembled him was caught on camera "at" the bridge, but it didn't give the specific information whether that person - whether him or someone else - was seen on only one side (i.e. entering on one side but not exiting).

So the barrier photo bothers me because it looks like someone would fall onto it and that should be noticed (I don't know about at night?), but they could still jump again. Does that seem true? If so, it is going to cut down the rate of that happening but not stop it. JMO, what do you think?
It leaves a sad feeling.

Perhaps they are purposely not releasing the information, which is understandable. I note the article that said someone who resembled him was caught on camera "at" the bridge, but it didn't give the specific information whether that person - whether him or someone else - was seen on only one side (i.e. entering on one side but not exiting).

So the barrier photo bothers me because it looks like someone would fall onto it and that should be noticed (I don't know about at night?), but they could still jump again. Does that seem true? If so, it is going to cut down the rate of that happening but not stop it. JMO, what do you think?
It leaves a sad feeling.
I was wondering the same thing, picture is deceiving. Says it has worked in other places.

The Safety Net will be a hard metal platform located two stories below the sidewalk. Jumping into the Net will result in significant bruises, sprains and possibly broken bones.

Hope I am wrong, but I think it someone had done something to him, they would have taken the electronics and destroyed/hid them somewhere or sold them. Leaving them sitting there seems like something a person would do if they were going to end their life. I will be very happy to be wrong though.

Police Looking for Yohanes Kidane, a 22-Year-Old Netflix Employee Who Went Missing After Riding In an Uber;

Yohanes Kidane. Photo:

The family of a missing 22-year-old Netflix engineer is asking for anyone with information on his whereabouts to contact police in San Jose, Calif., this week.

Authorities said Yohanes Kidane went missing last Monday night after getting in an Uber around 7:15 p.m. local time, according to NBC News.

Yohanes’ brother Yosief Kidane told NBC News last Friday that his family became concerned after Yohanes’ phone continued to show his location stagnant at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco the next morning. Their sister, Sara Kidane, began to grow worried.

“She’d been calling, trying to see what he’s doing. He never picked up,” Yosief told NBC. “She calls me, wakes me up before I start work, and we start calling his phone, calling friends, trying to see where he could be.”

Yohanes never answered, and the San Jose Police Department later told the family they did not find him at his San Jose apartment nor at work on Tuesday

“The investigation has uncovered no evidence to suggest that a crime has occurred,” SJPD said. “San Jose Detectives have kept Mr. Kidane’s family advised of all pertinent developments in the case. The case will remain open until Mr. Kidane is located.”

Kidane moved to San Jose just two weeks before his disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueJayJay71
Back