Cadaver dogs have hit on dumpster near home #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That reminded me Pinkypoo. Don't the trainers teach their dogs to respond in a very specific manner if they do alert? (ex: head down and scratch the ground, lay down and refuse move..you know...)

Yes I would imagine dogs will still be dogs and sniff around at other things too along the way but just not alert.

Yes you are correct every dog respond in a specific manner to a hit. But they are still dogs and still act like dogs at times :)

Wasn't it odd though,if they did hit on decomp that it was at a RV and boat storage area.I hope not,because someone could have taken her and then stolen a rv or boat.

I had posted his on the thread now closed and it didn't make it, so I posted it on the other dog thread. Thought I would bring it over here:

Excellent point. Thank you. I sure would like to see a video of the dogs "hitting".

Hi Dunlurking, It is really interesting and surprising at the same time.

The handler controls the dog continually by giving him verbal commands.

The dog {Eddie from England} I watched on video didn't run right to the spot where he ended up alerting to. He ran here and there, back and around the car, then made a wider loop in the area of the car, whistled at by his handler, went back to the car and then to the other side where he faced the drivers door and sat, very excitedly giving a loud bark to his handler.

I did allot of reading about how dogs sniff, and this is just a basic recap for you:

The death scent which cadaver dogs alert to is purely chemical. Each person has their unique 'death scent' which is a combination of chemicals and like a fingerprint. No two are exactly the same. These chemicals are combined with caverdine, and it has the odour which attracts the dog.

The chemical scent wafts up from the remains {or something which has been in direct contact with the corpse} into the air, and is strongest at the point of origin, becoming less strong further away from that point as the scent spreads out into the air.

The dog in his search starts having a hit of the scent reach a certain part of his nose and then another and he turns in that direction where more scent molecules enter his nose. His nose is very complicated and as more scent wafts reach him he starts to zone in on the source of where they are coming from.

He might lose it and have to refind it which is why I think they do some running around in the process.

At some point enough hits have entered his nose to where he comes directly to the origin of the scent. He then intuitively knows there is enough scent to be what he is looking for, and he alerts. It is impersonal to him as he is just doing what he has learned so he will be rewarded with something good to eat. Eddie always gets salmon with cream when he alerts.

I should also say that alerts are qualified as to strength and weakness. With 3 dogs barking at the same spot it sounds like it was a strong alert to me, from a layman's point of view.

TY Kelly :blowkiss: you saved me an afternoon of additional frustration over this case:)

TY Kelly :blowkiss: you saved me an afternoon of additional frustration over this case:)
You're most welcome. I follow closely what LFlorida has to say, she has her finger on the pulse of the situation from a locals viewpoint, and we need all the help we can get on this one..

Thank you for clearing that up.If there was no nursing home.Then there might be a possibility she or someone was in or near the dumpster at one point or possible clothing or something.I strongly believe if three dogs made a hit then something was there.

I just peeked in, nothing seems to be happening with the 12 dogs today?
I haven't read or seen anything yet..........TIA

I had posted his on the thread now closed and it didn't make it, so I posted it on the other dog thread. Thought I would bring it over here:

Hi Dunlurking, It is really interesting and surprising at the same time.

The handler controls the dog continually by giving him verbal commands.

The dog {Eddie from England} I watched on video didn't run right to the spot where he ended up alerting to. He ran here and there, back and around the car, then made a wider loop in the area of the car, whistled at by his handler, went back to the car and then to the other side where he faced the drivers door and sat, very excitedly giving a loud bark to his handler.

I did allot of reading about how dogs sniff, and this is just a basic recap for you:

The death scent which cadaver dogs alert to is purely chemical. Each person has their unique 'death scent' which is a combination of chemicals and like a fingerprint. No two are exactly the same. These chemicals are combined with caverdine, and it has the odour which attracts the dog.

The chemical scent wafts up from the remains {or something which has been in direct contact with the corpse} into the air, and is strongest at the point of origin, becoming less strong further away from that point as the scent spreads out into the air.

The dog in his search starts having a hit of the scent reach a certain part of his nose and then another and he turns in that direction where more scent molecules enter his nose. His nose is very complicated and as more scent wafts reach him he starts to zone in on the source of where they are coming from.

He might lose it and have to refind it which is why I think they do some running around in the process.

At some point enough hits have entered his nose to where he comes directly to the origin of the scent. He then intuitively knows there is enough scent to be what he is looking for, and he alerts. It is impersonal to him as he is just doing what he has learned so he will be rewarded with something good to eat. Eddie always gets salmon with cream when he alerts.

I should also say that alerts are qualified as to strength and weakness. With 3 dogs barking at the same spot it sounds like it was a strong alert to me, from a layman's point of view.

Eddie and Keeler were meant to be two of the best dogs in the world at what they do ( til the McCann case at least). Someone said she didnt believe in cadavar dogs only the ones who could scent..well these dogs were taken into a childrens home a few months ago and found parts of bodies that had been over 40 years..so yea they are good.

I know everyone loves it when I post for my fiance, so here goes; I thought this one was good.

What if someone put Haleigh's body in the dumpster, and shortly afterward someone elsegets into the dumpster looking for scrap metal or just interesting things. With the people in that area, it seems a safe bet that this person would have a rap sheet of some sort. They get into the dumpster, find the body and due to their rap sheet, really don't want to call the cops. But they did just climb into the dumpster, so their prints are all over the dumpster. They know this would look bad, really bad, so they simply take her body and dump it somewhere else. Now they can't come forward, because who in the name of he77 would believe them?
It would explain the hit, yet the lack of the body. It's a bit far fetched, but not too bad considering that with the caliber of people in that specific small area (SO's, perplords,the like) I can see them not wanting police involvement, yet having enough of the criminal thought process to realize their prints were there and they could get nailed for the murder.

Thank you for clearing that up.If there was no nursing home.Then there might be a possibility she or someone was in or near the dumpster at one point or possible clothing or something.I strongly believe if three dogs made a hit then something was there.
People often die in retirement communities, too. They did mention "shut ins" etc. I didn't call it a nursing home. Retirees who move into communities age and pass like everyone else...but the median age and death rates are likely to be higher than a normal family community.

All I know about search dogs and cadaver dogs I've learned right here on WS.

What I've learned has led me to believe that if 3 cadaver dogs all alerted to
this same spot (the dumpster) I would believe human remains were or had
been present in that dumpster!!!

I would lay out every morsel of those contents on the ground and bring the
dogs back to show me just what it was they alerted too!

Wouldn't that be the easiest most common sense way to resolve the question?

I had the same thoughts, why wouldn't LE just spread out the contents of the dumpster and have the dogs go around them and see what specifically was alerted to and then have that item(s) tested. Seems to me to be the most logical thing to do.

We have alot of intelligent people here, surely somebody knows why LE would NOT do this....anybody?

Each person has their unique 'death scent' which is a combination of chemicals and like a fingerprint. No two are exactly the same.

Hmmm..Not according to the lady searcher with her cadaver dog that was on JVM last night. I found it so interesting I had to call hubby and tell him about it right after. She said that all living people have a different scent, TO A DOG, but all dead people have the exact same scent, TO A DOG. Makes sense too-thats why search and rescue dogs are given an article of clothing to smell before searching but cadaver dogs just know the scent of death that they are searching for because its the same for everyone.

I'll bet that is/was done outside of reporters eyes.

In the video I saw on Tv last night, all I saw was a guy in the dumpster thrashing thru stuff, didn't look like he was interested in preserving a potential "crime scene". Apparently they did lift up the dumpster to see if there was anything underneath.

I know everyone loves it when I post for my fiance, so here goes; I thought this one was good.

What if someone put Haleigh's body in the dumpster, and shortly afterward someone elsegets into the dumpster looking for scrap metal or just interesting things. With the people in that area, it seems a safe bet that this person would have a rap sheet of some sort. They get into the dumpster, find the body and due to their rap sheet, really don't want to call the cops. But they did just climb into the dumpster, so their prints are all over the dumpster. They know this would look bad, really bad, so they simply take her body and dump it somewhere else. Now they can't come forward, because who in the name of he77 would believe them?
It would explain the hit, yet the lack of the body. It's a bit far fetched, but not too bad considering that with the caliber of people in that specific small area (SO's, perplords,the like) I can see them not wanting police involvement, yet having enough of the criminal thought process to realize their prints were there and they could get nailed for the murder.
If he is in the dumpster looking for scrap metal, he would jump on reward $$ and rap sheet be damned. IMO Now, if he had a warrant? depends what for, he could get a lawyer for that reward and subsequent interview $$..I dont see him/her being that crazy, but what do I know?

new here, but wanted to add, that cadaver dogs are taught to sit or lay down when they find a hit as respect to the body. Search dogs are not taught that..

The poster with the idea of older people sort of blew my mind,but families often times have to get rid of the sheets, mattresses etc when they find a love one dead, so maybe thats not as far fetched as it sounded at first.

Are cadaver dogs given the scent of the person they are looking for or do they search for decomp of any human.
All 3 dogs were cadaver dogs? Would have been interesting if they had a search and rescuse dog there also. or maybe they did.

May I please ask did any one get a map of the area and where her scent was traced to the water and railroad tracks and this dumpster?Where these places would be on the map.I'm very sorry if I missed this if it was put here.I am new to her story too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay7854
Back