California WildFires 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That's the real reason it's called the golden state. The greens are actually dried, dead and brown for about 7 months of the year.

Add the gold rush and California poppies on the golden hills and it’s no wonder it’s called the Golden State. Thinking about this reminded me of Kate Wolfe’s song “Redtail Hawk” with its refrain “the golden, rolling hills of California.” Kate began her career in Sonoma County, incidentally. For your listening pleasure...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=udRFQOsrjpU

I have finally caught up on this thread! Prayers to all that have been effected by these fires. There isn't really much coverage here except for CNN World news. I used to live in Santa Rosa a long time ago (1954) before we moved to Novato. Trying to find out if Mountain View Drive was effected? Anyone seeing that on the map for Santa Rosa?

TIA! :wave:

My child hood friend had to evacuate her house in Santa Rosa Tuesday night. Been trying to get a hold of her, will try again today. Hoping she is safe!!

Here's a list. If you can't find the specific street as an 'evacuated' location LMK and I will look

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/?page=1

I have finally caught up on this thread! Prayers to all that have been effected by these fires. There isn't really much coverage here except for CNN World news. I used to live in Santa Rosa a long time ago (1954) before we moved to Novato. Trying to find out if Mountain View Drive was effected? Anyone seeing that on the map for Santa Rosa?

My child hood friend had to evacuate her house in Santa Rosa Tuesday night. Been trying to get a hold of her, will try again today. Hoping she is safe!!

It doesn't look like that area was directly affected.

Here's a map, if it helps. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...l=38.311002560459684,-122.52036220703127&z=11

( Portugal and Spain wildfires: Dozens dead and injured
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41634125

"Dozens of the 145 fires still raging are considered serious, a spokeswoman said.

To the north, fires which broke out across the border in Spain's Galicia region claimed at least three lives.

Thousands of firefighters are battling the flames, which erupted after a hot dry summer.

Conditions were worsened by Hurricane Ophelia, as it approached Europe's western coast, bringing strong winds to fan and spread the flames.

More than 50 people have also been injured in Portugal; 15 are reported to be in a serious condition. Local media say several people are still missing there, including a month-old baby."

Snip

"A state of emergency has been declared in Portugal north of the Tagus river - about half of the country's land area. More than 6,000 firefighters in 1,800 vehicles were deployed by early Monday morning."

attachment.php

:shakehead: )

Attachments

• _98339742_portuguese_wildfires_640-nc.png
    _98339742_portuguese_wildfires_640-nc.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 81
After week of California fires, progress made in fighting flames
www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/us/california-fires-updates/index.html

"We're turning the corner," Gouvea said Sunday. "You're seeing containment levels coming up. Things feel good in our gut as firefighters. So we just need weather to cooperate with us a little bit."

"In a promising forecast, there's a chance of rain later this week in the affected areas. A system from the Gulf of Alaska is expected to bring rain Thursday morning, according to a tweet from the*National Weather Service for the San Francisco Bay Area."

"The Sonoma County Sheriff's Office identified four more victims on Sunday. They were all over the age of 70. They are: Lee Chadwick Roger, 72, of Glen Ellen; Sharon Rae Robinson, 79, Daniel Martin Southard, 71, and Carmen Colleen McReynolds, 82, all of Santa Rosa. A total of 22 people have died in Sonoma County.

An estimated 217,000 acres have burned, according to a Sunday update from Cal Fire.

Approximately 75,000 people have been evacuated, Cal Fire said Sunday.

The 50,000-plus acres Atlas fire in Napa and Solano counties was 65% contained as of Sunday.

The Nuns fire in Sonoma County had consumed more than 48,000 acres and was 40% contained.

The Tubbs fire in Sonoma County, which spread to nearly 45,000 acres, was 60% contained."

After week of California fires, progress made in fighting flames
www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/us/california-fires-updates/index.html

OT—I think we need a thread titled “Earth, Wind and Fire” to describe these ongoing disasters.

Western Ireland, and other parts of the British Isles are facing awful wind from the remnants of hurricane Ophelia. Three killed in Ireland. Power out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4983228/Worst-storm-21-years-batter-Ireland-80mph-winds.html

The wind here in the English Midlands has been strengthening through the day and is now quite strong. We're ouside any of the weather warning areas though.

So far one of our plastic garden chairs has blown over. We will rebuild.

The wind here in the English Midlands has been strengthening through the day and is now quite strong. We're ouside any of the weather warning areas though.

So far one of our plastic garden chairs has blown over. We will rebuild.

I hate to laugh when people are in danger, but that made me snort! Something about that dry stiff upper lip British humor gets me every time.

"A criminal investigation has been launched in the 25-acre brush fire that burned near the popular Anza-Borrego Desert State Park Sunday.

The fire broke out around 1:15 p.m. near Wilson Road off Montezuma Valley Road. The location is in Ranchita, near Warner Springs and Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, northeast of San Diego."

Snip

"The fire was started by target shooters, according to Cal Fire. NBC 7's Astrid Solorzano reports."

Snip

"GOOD NEWS: The Wilson fire in Ranchita is 40 percent contained. Sparked at 1 pm. Fire crews controlled flames down to 25 acres. #NBC7"

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Crews-Battling-Wilson-Fire-451002933.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back