California WildFires 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Shares of PG&E Corp. (PCG) fell more than 10% on Friday after the company acknowledged that it may face some liability stemming from the California wildfires. PG&E has about $800 million in liability insurance for potential losses that may result from these fires. If the amount of insurance is insufficient to cover (PG&E's) liability, or if insurance is otherwise unavailable, PG&E Corporation's financial condition or results of operations could be materially affected."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/pge-shares-down-10-after-california-wildfire-liability-warning-2017-10-13?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

I haven’t seen how weather conditions are now, but here in Michigan it is super windy. made me think of fighting fires with winds like this and how much more awful it would be.

No sign of a major slow down still? I don’t know how you people anywhere near these fires can have a minute without feeling anxious or concerned. My thoughts remain with all of you.

California Statewide Fire Summary
Sunday, October 15, 2017

Winds across Northern California have been fairly light this morning and the
earlier Red Flag Warnings for the area will be lifted at 8a.m. In Southern
California, Red Flag Warnings remain in effect due to gusty winds, low
humidity and high fire danger. The winds are likely to continue throughout the
day.

<snip> http://calfire.ca.gov/communications/communications_StatewideFireSummary

They went to recover the body of the family dog..... except: :tears:

[video=youtube;YkKwOLGRuAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=YkKwOLGRuAM[/video]

Yay, some good news:

"Some counties were preparing to let more evacuees return to their homes amid improving weather. The winds that have been fanning the deadliest and most destructive cluster of wildfires in California history did not kick up overnight as much as feared.

“Conditions have drastically changed from just 24 hours ago, and that is definitely a very good sign. And it’s probably a sign we’ve turned a corner on these fires,” said Daniel Berlant, spokesman for California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

“We’re starting to see fires with containment numbers in the 50 and 60 percent, so we’re definitely getting the upper hand on these fires.”"

California turns corner in battling wine country fires
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2017/10/15/california-wildfires/106687484/

"Latest developments

An estimated 217,000 acres have burned, according to a Sunday update from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire).

An estimated 5,700 structures have been destroyed.Approximately 75,000 people have been evacuated, Cal Fire said.

The 50,000-plus Atlas fire in Napa and Solano counties was 56% contained as of Sunday -- up from 3% three days earlier.

The Nuns fire in Sonoma County had consumed more than 47,000 acres and was 25% contained.

The Redwood and Potter fires in Mendocino County had burned 35,000 acres and was 35% contained.

The 35,000-acre Tubbs fire in Napa and Sonoma counties was 60% under control."

www.cnn.com/2017/10/15/us/california-fires-updates-recovery/index.html

"The more than a dozen wildfires have burned for days, but authorities said they had a "handle on the fire" and firefighters were making progress.

"We will continue to aggressively attack and keep (the fire) contained," said Napa County Fire Chief Barry Biermann in a Sunday press conference. "But we are making a tremendous progress out there."

The county is switching gears and turning its focus towards recovery, said Napa County spokeswoman Belia Ramos."

www.cnn.com/2017/10/15/us/california-fires-updates-recovery/index.html

Winds Subside but California Wildfires Continue to Rage
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/w...s-continue-rage-some-residents-return-n810851

"Cal Fire provided a list of points to keep in mind for returning residents:

If returning home, secure your property and try to reduce hazards

Be aware that crews are still working to extinguish hotspots and will continue to patrol the area

Check for trees or brush that may have been weakened by the fireWalk around your property and check for burning embers

Check your home's power panel to make sure it is still intact and not damaged

Check inside your home and its venting system where embers can travel and smolder sparking structural fires

Keep away from burned trees that leave white ash piles that can cause severe injury if stepped on or into"

"Aided by light winds and cooler temperatures, firefighters made significant progress overnight and early Sunday morning on two of the biggest wildfires raging across Northern California, but officials cautioned that they still face major challenges.

The winds that bedeviled firefighters Saturday are expected to remain mostly calm Sunday, allowing them to go back on the offense after a day of new evacuations. Humidity levels are also forecast to increase up above 20%, with temperatures expected to hit a high of 85 in Santa Rosa.

Officials said Sunday they are making good progress on the massive Tubbs and Atlas fires, which are both more than 50% contained. Firefighters will concentrate their forces on the Nuns fire, which is 30% contained. There is some concern, however, that the Tubbs and Nuns fires could merge."

40 dead in California wildfires, dozens still missing as firefighters make significant progress
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-wildfires-california-20171015-story.html

""Most of the fire is pretty much blacked out,&#8221; Battalion Chief Chris Waters told crews Sunday morning as they prepared to head into the wilderness. &#8220;It was a really good night.&#8221;

More than a dozen fixed-wing aircraft focused on the Atlas fire can now be diverted to the 47,000-acre Nuns fire, which continues to threaten communities on its eastern and western flanks, officials said. The fire is burning southeast of Santa Rosa.

Over the next few days, weather conditions are expected to improve significantly, said Charles Bell, a meteorologist with the*National Weather Service. Winds from the southwest could bring cooler temperatures and more moisture.

There is a 70% chance of rain forecast for Santa Rosa on Thursday evening, with relative humidity in the area expected to increase to more than 90% ahead of the rain system, Bell said.

"It will bring more moist air, which is extremely beneficial for the firefighters,&#8221; he said. &#8220;It&#8217;s a big change that&#8217;s going to happen.&#8221;

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-wildfires-california-20171015-story.html

"The department advised returning residents to wear protective clothing and anticipate delays because of traffic. Returning residents would have to go through &#8220;safety checks&#8221; at designated checkpoints, where they&#8217;d be issued &#8220;personal protective equipment.&#8221;

&#8220;Residents should be prepared to evacuate again should conditions change,&#8221; the department said in a Facebook post."

Live fire updates: Winds die down, containment grows, some evacuees go home
http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article178992141.html

Live updates: Full containment of Sonoma County wildfires expected by Friday; death toll at 40
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-wildfires-Feinstein-death-toll-Wine-12278704.php

"11:10 a.m. Evacuees gradually returning home in Mendocino County: Some neighborhoods in Mendocino County&#8217;s Redwood Valley, Willits and Potter Valley that were evacuated due to wildfires will be &#8220;repopulated&#8221; starting noon on Sunday, according to Cal Fire officials."

Snip

"9:25 a.m. Number of missing persons declines in Sonoma County: At least 172 people remain unaccounted for in Sonoma County, Sgt. Spencer Crum, a sheriff&#8217;s office spokesman, said Sunday morning."

Snip

"8:45 a.m. Nearly 75,000 remain evacuated in Northern California wildfires: As light winds aided the progress of around 11,000 firefighters battling blazes across the state, some evacuations have been lifted."

Snip

"8:10 a.m. Sonoma County &#8212; hardest hit by deadly wildfires &#8212; expects full containment by Friday"

Snip

"6:17 a.m. Wildfires around city of Napa &#8216;not getting worse&#8217;: Lighter wind has lessened the threat of wildfires in the city of Napa but threatened air quality, Napa Police Department announced Sunday morning.

&#8220;It is a little smoky again in the city of Napa. Don&#8217;t you worry though, the fires immediately around the city of Napa are not getting worse and our amazing partners in the fire service are still in the area,&#8221; the department said in an statement early Sunday.

Officials advised residents to &#8220;mask up and stay safe&#8221; as the air quality measured at the &#8220;unhealthy&#8221; level early Sunday, according to the Environmental Protection Agency."

"The department advised returning residents to wear protective clothing and anticipate delays because of traffic. Returning residents would have to go through &#8220;safety checks&#8221; at designated checkpoints, where they&#8217;d be issued &#8220;personal protective equipment.&#8221;

&#8220;Residents should be prepared to evacuate again should conditions change,&#8221; the department said in a Facebook post."

Live fire updates: Winds die down, containment grows, some evacuees go home
http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article178992141.html

I came to LA yesterday. The smoke up there was making me throw up, even though I wore the type mask they are recommending to filter smoke, every time I went outside of the hepa filter protected space, I got nauseous and my glands in my neck are swollen.
Last night was the first night I slept well since Sunday night, I have been having bad dreams and I haven't had a bad dream in decades, until the fires.
I'm planning on staying in LA for awhile, the air is nice here right now.
I can't take the smoke and stress anymore.
I'm just thankful I have a place to escape, but I feel guilty driving out of there when so many people in my community are stuck in shelters and have no home where they can return when the fires stop and the smoke clears.
We lost a lot of low-middle income houses, and, like so many cities in this country, there was already a shortage of affordable housing for working class people.
People are going to need their waiters, cooks, store clerks, child care and elderly care, nursing assistants, housekeepers, janitors, lawn maintanance, farm and ranch hands, the list goes on and on, the working class is essential to any economy.
It's hard to be a good employee when one is homeless.
Where will they all live now?

I came to LA yesterday. The smoke up there was making me throw up, even though I wore the type mask they are recommending to filter smoke, every time I went outside of the hepa filter protected space, I got nauseous and my glands in my neck are swollen.
Last night was the first night I slept well since Sunday night, I have been having bad dreams and I haven't had a bad dream in decades, until the fires.
I'm just thankful I have a place to escape, but I feel guilty driving out of there when so many people in my community are stuck in shelters and have no home where they can return when the fires stop and the smoke clears.
We lost a lot of low-middle income houses, and, like so many cities in this country, there was already a shortage of affordable housing for working class people.
People are going to need their waiters, cooks, store clerks, child care and elderly care, nursing assistants, housekeepers, janitors, lawn maintanance, farm and ranch hands, the list goes on and on, the working class is essential to any economy.

With so many needing to relocate (whether permanently or long enough to rebuild), I foresee many more worries ahead. These people will need jobs, but they also need a place to live. Stores need rebuilding. Farms, wineries.... so much to start over with.

For now, &#8221;bodhi", you must take care of your own health. No guilt, please. The smoke effects will likely linger, so don&#8216;t return until you can be somewhat sure that your lungs will handle it. We don&#8217;t need you to end up in the hospital. Hope you have more nights of good sleep, and those swollen glands clear up. I am sorry for your nightmares ... maybe better rest will help that. :hug:

Re BBM

Yes this is a heartbreaking news story. I cannot believe how many people have died in the fire already. The total is approaching 40. It stands at 34 or 35 people died depending on which news article. And many missing unaccounted for.

This is just horrible.

I never could understand why California gets these fires and when I finally got a chance to visit there I found out why. Some parts of the state just do not get a lot of rain at all.

I was there for almost a month and I had brought an umbrella with me because I had never been before. By the 2nd week of beautiful sunny predictable weather I threw my cheap umbrella in the trash. Each day was like the last. Just beautiful weather and sunny and not many clouds. It was then that i realized how dry the grasses and land gets there in some places. Just not much annual rainfall in some large swaths of california. Its also what makes it a beatiful place to live because they dont get much nasty weather.
That's the real reason it's called the golden state. The greens are actually dried, dead and brown for about 7 months of the year.

everybodhi... :grouphug:

I do not live there, but loved ones do and I know everyone affected is struggling in different ways. It's all very surreal.

Knowing my loved ones were safe, and because escape and denial is sometimes the only way to keep one's sanity, I kind of checked out for a couple of days. I had stuff planned, so I just went and did it. I was kind of cathartic all day today, refusing to watch the news or read any coverage.

I'm finally ready to face it again. I'm sitting here feeling guilty for having the luxury of being able to "step away" temporarily.

everybodhi, when you return home, if you need help in any way please PM me. I will be there.

I&#8217;m so glad you and your lungs are in a safe place everybodhi. You were wise to leave. No guilt please. Rest and heal. Try not to think about the future right now. Big hugs! :heartbeat:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel
Back