California Wildfires 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
upload_2019-10-26_7-11-32.jpeg
Phil Herrington, Edison’s senior vice president of transmission and distribution, said the utility tries to give customers 24 to 48 hours’ advance notice of outages. “That gives customers time to make preparations — if they’re going to be out of communication, to identify other sources of communication,” he said. “We’re doing this for public safety, keeping in mind the trade-off.”

Asked about the evacuation challenges, the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department did not respond to specific questions but issued a general statement: “There were several evacuation areas just south of the fire’s flash point,” the statement said. “In instances where there is a a fast-moving fire, no one method of emergent notifications can cover the need for public safety.”
Bell said she received no advance notice of the power outage. And she said there would have been no way of learning from Edison’s website, which had been down for two days.

“It was just crazy to me that that can be allowed to happen…. I guess they never thought of people getting their garage doors open,” she said.

“Just as we began to evacuate, all the power went out,” Regula said, adding that a warning from Pacific Gas & Electric Co. about a shut-off had been canceled earlier. “We didn’t know that we were going to have one.” She said the darkness “pretty much doubled the effort…. We literally could not see what we were doing, and there was heavy ash.”

She couldn’t imagine the stress of dealing with a loss of power with flames approaching. “To try to gather your things and your dog, and do all that in the dark without hurting yourself,” she said, trailing off. “Very scary.”

Outside the College of the Canyons on Friday, one evacuee sat under a blazing sun, where a Red Cross volunteer suggested he’d be more comfortable in the shade.

The man pointed to an electrical outlet and said, “I need juice.”
Residents without power miss fire evacuation alerts and struggle to flee in the dark

5. “As the Kincade Fire raged out of control in California’s wine country, fast-moving brush fires burned across Southern California on Thursday afternoon, destroying homes, closing roads and sending utility crews scrambling to shut off power.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article236631723.html

—-

Kincade Fire burns 16,000 acres in Sonoma County, as PG&E reports problem at tower
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article236596083.html

“GEYSERVILLE

A fast-moving fire in Sonoma County wine country, swept by extreme winds, exploded to 16,000 acres Thursday, forced the tiny community of Geyserville to evacuate — and raised potentially damning new questions about the PG&E Corp. and its electrical equipment.”

Wow. How sad. I didnt know California was already in fire season again. My goodness. So frightening. Hope nobody gets killed or has gotten killed.

I dont live on the West Coast but I followed last year's terrible fires some and I didnt realize the death toll in the "Camp Fire" area last year was 85 according to this article. How terribly sad.

Its too early to tell what is the cause of some of these early fires but last year I recall seeing video of a sparking electric company wire near the start of one of the blazes and if any of these new fires turns out to be the electric company's equipment failing then I hope it forces them to begin replacing any equipment that is too old or is failing.

Below is the part of the article that relates to this.
Focus needs to save lives and property right now. After that I hope steps are taken to prevent future fires.
These fires are terrifying to read about. :(

This part of the article below is about the new Kincade Fire. Maybe a hostile financial takeover of the company would be a good thing at this point. Maybe its time to let others run the company for the benefit and safety of everybody.

"As the winds tapered off, PG&E filed a report with the Public Utilities Commission saying a 230-kilovolt transmission tower malfunctioned near the ignition point. The utility added that a Cal Fire investigator found a broken jumper wire on the tower.

Cal Fire said it didn’t know the cause of the fire, but if the Kincade Fire turns out to be PG&E’s fault it could be devastating for the company. A faulty transmission tower was blamed for last November’s Camp Fire, which killed 85 people, destroyed most of Paradise and sent PG&E spiraling into bankruptcy court, where it’s struggling to fend off a hostile takeover attempt."

There was already talk of PG&E dissolving and giving the utility back to the State (which is what is likely to happen for both utility companies). Then, when all the lawsuits hit, it will be the people of California who foot the bill (which happens anyway, when utility companies pass the costs on).

In the case of the Santa Clarita fire, houses have been built on the edges of steep gullies, where no house would have been built prior to say 1980, due to fire concerns. Many of those houses have been built since 1990. A lot of people have been critical of LA County's/Santa Clarita's zoning and annexation decisions.

Californians are so attached to single family homes, of course. The whole issue is almost beyond comprehension and beyond fixing. In the last year, all the fire agencies involved have purchased way more equipment, which is really helping. There were 6 fires within 10 miles of my own house within the past 5 days.

We're all on edge. Winds have died down today but are expected to pick back up tomorrow and Monday.

While California Fires Rage, the Rich Hire Private Firefighters

—-

California Fires Updates: 2.7 Million Could Lose Power

—-

California wildfires: 50,000 ordered to evacuate, hundreds of thousands to lose power

—-

Millions to lose power as 50,000 more people are ordered to flee raging California wildfire

—-

A ‘potentially historic’ wind event could worsen California wildfires this weekend
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/26/california-wildfires-power-outages-kincade-tick/

—-

In Fire-Scarred California, ‘If You’re Told to Go, You Go’

—-

Editorial: Will California ever learn anything from its wildfires?

—-

California wildfire map shows blazes across the state, including massive Kincade and Tick fires

—-

Live updates: Kincade Fire now 10% contained, PG&E outages loom

—-

Dangerous winds expected in Northern California fire areas

—-

'It's time to drop things, pack and go.' Threat of 85 mph winds forces 50K to flee in Northern California

—-

“There Was a Lot to Burn”: What a Reporter Saw as the Tick Fire Raged in Southern California

—-

Live updates: 44,000 flee fire in Sonoma County, Marin County to be 99% blacked out

—-

NWS Bay Area (@NWSBayArea) on Twitter

—-

'Welcome sight': Massive air tanker dropped first load of retardant

—-

Fresh fire crews take over efforts to fully contain fires in Valley Center, Ramona

—-

'Very dangerous situation' as California braces for 80 mph winds, major fire risk

—-

At least 3 dead in Baja California fires, dozens of structures damaged or destroyed

—-

Explanation of diablo winds:
Two destructive fires. Hundreds of miles apart. One culprit: Winds

—-

With Tick fire 25% contained, several neighborhoods remain under evacuation

—-

Maps: Power Outages and Wildfires in California

Last edited:
There was already talk of PG&E dissolving and giving the utility back to the State (which is what is likely to happen for both utility companies). Then, when all the lawsuits hit, it will be the people of California who foot the bill (which happens anyway, when utility companies pass the costs on).

In the case of the Santa Clarita fire, houses have been built on the edges of steep gullies, where no house would have been built prior to say 1980, due to fire concerns. Many of those houses have been built since 1990. A lot of people have been critical of LA County's/Santa Clarita's zoning and annexation decisions.

Californians are so attached to single family homes, of course. The whole issue is almost beyond comprehension and beyond fixing. In the last year, all the fire agencies involved have purchased way more equipment, which is really helping. There were 6 fires within 10 miles of my own house within the past 5 days.

We're all on edge. Winds have died down today but are expected to pick back up tomorrow and Monday.

Thanks for sharing from a local perspective.

Please stay as safe as you can and I hope the flames are heading far away and getting under control by firefighters.

More than 90,000 evacuated as Sonoma County fire grows; unprecedented power outages loom

—-

CAL FIRE LNU (@CALFIRELNU) on Twitter

—-

PG&E (@PGE4Me) on Twitter

—-

—-

2 Million Californians Without Power And 180,000 Ordered To Evacuate Amid Wildfires

—-

Here's when PG&E plans to restore power, based on location

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article236709393.html

—-

California wildfires prompt more evacuations as PG&E shuts off power to almost 1 million customers
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/27/us/california-power-outages-fires-sunday/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

191027080236-04-calif-fires-1026-medium-plus-169.jpg

Firefighters set a back fire Saturday to try to contain the Kincade Fire in Healdsburg, California.

Kincade Fire Forces Largest Evacuation in Sonoma County History

—-

Real-time Fire Map

—-

Blackouts and mass evacuations as Kincade fire grows amid high winds

—-

Wind gusts of 93 mph fuel California's Kincade Fire spread

—-

‘Potentially dangerous’ fire burning in Oakley, evacuations underway

—-

Major fire breaks out at Carquinez Bridge; Interstate 80 closed, evacuations underway

—-

Extremely critical fire conditions move into California

Last edited:
That fire near the bridge has all these people trapped in cars as the fire burns past (wide shoulders on the highway, but still). It's been hours.

Everyone from Napa area is trying to flee southward, Bay Area is very impacted.

Wow. How sad. I didnt know California was already in fire season again. My goodness. So frightening. Hope nobody gets killed or has gotten killed.

I dont live on the West Coast but I followed last year's terrible fires some and I didnt realize the death toll in the "Camp Fire" area last year was 85 according to this article. How terribly sad.

Its too early to tell what is the cause of some of these early fires but last year I recall seeing video of a sparking electric company wire near the start of one of the blazes and if any of these new fires turns out to be the electric company's equipment failing then I hope it forces them to begin replacing any equipment that is too old or is failing.

Below is the part of the article that relates to this.
Focus needs to save lives and property right now. After that I hope steps are taken to prevent future fires.
These fires are terrifying to read about. :(

This part of the article below is about the new Kincade Fire. Maybe a hostile financial takeover of the company would be a good thing at this point. Maybe its time to let others run the company for the benefit and safety of everybody.

"As the winds tapered off, PG&E filed a report with the Public Utilities Commission saying a 230-kilovolt transmission tower malfunctioned near the ignition point. The utility added that a Cal Fire investigator found a broken jumper wire on the tower.

Cal Fire said it didn’t know the cause of the fire, but if the Kincade Fire turns out to be PG&E’s fault it could be devastating for the company. A faulty transmission tower was blamed for last November’s Camp Fire, which killed 85 people, destroyed most of Paradise and sent PG&E spiraling into bankruptcy court, where it’s struggling to fend off a hostile takeover attempt."

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article236366073.html
I apologize if already posted but
There is a documentary coming out on Nov 1 - the Paradise Fire
Details & trailer at the above link

By late Sunday afternoon, the Kincade fire, which ignited on Wednesday, had scorched 30,000 acres and remained only 10 percent contained. Whipped into a frenzy by sustained winds above 70 mph — category 1 hurricane level — and gusts that topped 100 mph, the fire had destroyed 79 structures, including at least 31 homes, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection and the National Weather Service said.

Hurricane-force winds intensify California wildfires as nearly 200,000 evacuate

In Southern California, authorities said the wind-fueled 4,615-acre Tick fire in Los Angeles County was at the 65 percent containment by Sunday afternoon. The county fire department said that 22 structures were destroyed and that 27 more were damaged.

Live updates: Kincade Fire barrels toward Santa Rosa

“1:11 a.m. Fire in city of Sonoma: Firefighters are battling a fire along Napa Street near Sonoma Plaza in the city of Sonoma, according to the Sonoma County Fire radio scanner. Downed wires, a vegetation fire and two structures on fire were reported by firefighters.”

—-

“But in the past two years, California has experienced the deadliest and most destructive wildfires in its history, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
In 2017, wildfires ravaged more than 1.5 million acres, killing 44 people and burning more than 11,000 structures.

Last year, more than 1.6 million acres were burned, over 23,000 structures damaged or destroyed and 93 people died, CAL FIRE reported. Eighty-five of them were killed when the Camp Fire devastated northern portions of the state. It was the deadliest blaze in the state's history.”

California's getting scorched again. Here's how these fires compare to previous years
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/28/us/california-fires-causes/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

—-

“Hurricane-force winds created blowtorch-like conditions overnight in Northern California as the Kincade Fire continued to rage Sunday. As of 6:30 p.m. PT, the fire had burned more than 54,000 acres and was only 5% contained.”

Kincade Fire: 180,000 under evacuation orders in Sonoma County, California — live updates

—-

Fire erupts in San Bernardino as fierce winds buffet area

—-

“Recap from tonight's news conference on #KincadeFire: 54,298 acres have burned, 5% containment, 94 structures destroyed, 17 damaged, 79,575 structures threatened, nearly 3,400 personnel on fire lines. #RedFlagWarning expires Tuesday 11a.m.”

—-

Latest: Flames within 100 yards of Lockwood Drive

“Officers activated the hi-lo sirens on their vehicles to alert residents who have not yet evacuated, according to the police scanner.”

—-

Residents on alert as high winds bring elevated fire danger to SoCal

“Southern California is bracing for the return of Santa Ana winds and red flag warning conditions Monday, a week after several blazes erupted across the region.

Dangerous Santa Ana winds began sweeping through parts of Southern California Sunday evening, gaining strength and raising the threat of fires.”

Snip

“Strong winds caused the recent Saddle Ridge Fire to explode in size as it tore through parts of the San Fernando Valley, destroying several homes and scorching nearly 9,000 acres. Firefighters in Santa Clarita continue to make progress on the Tick Fire, which broke out Thursday and is at 70% containment after burning more than 4,000 acres.”

Fires burn structures in East Bay, destroying tennis club building in Lafayette

Map: Seven Bay Area fires burning in high winds

Last edited:
Live updates: Kincade Fire grows to 66,000 acres as smoke settles over Bay Area

—-

Kincade Fire forces evacuation of nearly 200,000, the largest in Sonoma County history
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/28/kincade-fire-evacuation-map-expands-sonoma-county/

“Powerful weekend wind gusts frustrated efforts to beat back the massive Kincade Fire that’s cutting a destructive path through Northern California’s wine country and has prompted evacuations of nearly 200,000 people as the wildfire marches southwest toward the county’s population hub of Santa Rosa.”

—-

Live updates: California fires near Los Angeles - CNN

—-

With raging fires, high winds and blackouts, California is living a disaster movie. Is this the 'new normal'?

—-

Getty Fire: Blaze burns along 405 Freeway near Getty Center, prompts mandatory evacuations

Last edited:
Just found this thread here. Prayers for all in CA effected by these fires. We’re in KY & a friend here posted on FB for prayers for her daughter & family in Santa Rosa. She became so scared this morning as communication with her daughter has ceased. She finally heard from her late this morning—whew! They’d had to charge their phones in their cars AND were staying with her BIL’s family not too far away but still out of the evac area.

Utility says power lines may have started 2 California fires

—-

We evacuated safely at 3:30 this morning. If you are in an evacuation zone, don’t screw around. Get out. Right now I am grateful for the best firefighters in the world, the true action heroes who charge into the danger to protect their fellow Californians. #GettyFire

Arnold (@Schwarzenegger) on Twitter

—-

Here's a look at some of the most notable active California wildfires:

• Getty: 500 acres burned
  • Burris: 350 acres burned, 20% contained
  • Sky: 150 acres burned, 90% contained
  • Sawday: 97 acres burned, 98% contained
  • Tick: 4,615 acres burned, 70% contained
  • Old Water: 145 acres burned, 45% contained
  • Kincade: 66,231 acres burned, 5% contained
  • Caples: 3,434 acres burned, 87% contained
  • Saddle Ridge: 8,799 acres, 97% contained
  • Taboose: 10,296 acres burned, 75% contained

LIVE UPDATES
Wildfire burns in Los Angeles
Live updates: California fires near Los Angeles - CNN

“We are now seeing to giant planes dip down into the Pacific Ocean to collect water and then fly back and drop them over the #GettyFire Surreal.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chloerock
Back