Canada - 10 dead and at least 15 wounded in stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

1682622303209.png
''In the days before Myles Sanderson’s deadly stabbing rampage began on a Saskatchewan First Nation, he was selling drugs, involved in numerous assaults, and had stolen a vehicle, police said Thursday.

The suspect’s brother, Damien Sanderson, who police say was later killed by Myles during a physical altercation, had at one point told a female at a bar in the nearby town of Kinistino that they had a “mission to do” and that “people would hear all about it in the next few hours”.

Police have not released a motive for the stabbing rampage.''

Members of First Nation look for ways to heal 1 year after mass stabbings in Saskatchewan

“One year after Canada's worst mass stabbing, Burns and other members of James Smith Cree Nation say addictions, violence, grief and trauma continue to pervade their community.

But slowly, some are finding ways to feel safe again — for themselves and the next generation.….

..…As painful as the last year has been, Darryl Burns says he's seen a shift in James Smith Cree Nation as younger people embrace their identities and histories with ceremony.

"We've had hundreds of years of oppression. If we can start making our children proud of themselves, that's going to be huge for our future," he says.

"So, no matter how hopeless it seems, no matter how hard the task is, we have to keep going."….”

Jan 11 '23 rbbm
''Sanderson's parole documents show he had a lengthy criminal history, including 59 convictions as an adult. He received statutory release in August 2021 from his first federal prison sentence of more than four years. Statutory release kicks in when an offender has served two-thirds of a prison sentence.

Four months into his freedom, Sanderson was found to have been lying about his living arrangements and his release was suspended.

In February 2022, the parole board cancelled that suspension and Sanderson again received statutory release with a reprimand. Three months later, however, the Correctional Service of Canada deemed him to be unlawfully at large and a parole officer issued a warrant for his apprehension.

After the mass killing, then-public safety minister Marco Mendicino weighed in on Sanderson's release from prison, saying "there were a number of significant flaws in the system here that have to be addressed."

I always feel so sad when I see the photo of Wesley Petterson, the elderly man from the village of Weldon, the only person afaik from off the reservation who was shot and killed. There's the photo of him in his Easter bonnet.

I suppose it might come out in the inquest whether he had any connection to or acquaintance with the shooter but I have presumed so far that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was randomly shot.

I don't in any way mean that the deaths of the reservation residents are less sad and some of them were possibly random as well - person at the wrong time in the wrong place on the reservation, or trying to protect and help somebody actually targetted by the shooter.

MOO JMO

I suppose it might come out in the inquest whether he [Wesley Petterson] had any connection to or acquaintance with the shooter but I have presumed so far that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was randomly shot.

There was a bit of an answer to this, see https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/fifth-day-of-jscn-inquest-first-week-wraps-up-1.7088385

'Even though this was a mass casualty event, Sesely said Sanderson wasn't focused on a "body count." Sanderson interacted with several people who he didn't harm.

The evidence shows he wanted to attack people he felt had wronged him, and others associated with those victims. He also hurt people who tried to stop his rampage, including his brother Damien and an elderly man who lived in Weldon.'
So WP was not randomly shot, but shot because he was trying to prevent other deaths or more deaths.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaborde2576
Back