Canada - 10 dead and at least 15 wounded in stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just catching up and have missed quite a bit.

Why are people saying Damien was either not a suspect or less of a suspect? Didn't they go around killing together?
I think it's a combo of him having much less of a violent/criminal history than his brother, the fact he was found dead of wounds not of his own doing (suggesting he may have been attacked by his brother--which the RCMP has not ruled out), the fact many of the victims seem to be more connected to Myles than him, and the fact he had fewer charges brought against him.

That being said, I don't see any reason to doubt that he was involved to some extent. He has been charged for some of the attacks, and my guess is those charges are based on eyewitness testimony and/or physical evidence. I think it is possible he may have started second-guessing the dark road they were on before his brother did and tried to opt out eventually, but I don't personally see him as less culpable, involved, or active in the murders without further evidence actually confirming that. MOO

”…..On Thursday, at a news conference on the reserve, Darryl Burns, whose sister Gloria was among the dead, brought Damien Sanderson’s widow, Sky Cloud Sanderson, up to the microphone and asked her to accept the forgiveness of the community for her husband’s role in the killings.

“Damien was caught up in a life,” Mr. Burns said. “Damien was caught up in a moment.”

Sky Cloud Sanderson broke down in uncontrolled sobbing.

Ivor Wayne Burns, a community elder who was also a brother of Gloria Burns, said he forgave the killers.

“We forgive them,” he said, “because if we don’t, our anger will turn to hate and resentment and we will never heal. To move on, we have to forgive them boys.”….”

”…..On Thursday, at a news conference on the reserve, Darryl Burns, whose sister Gloria was among the dead, brought Damien Sanderson’s widow, Sky Cloud Sanderson, up to the microphone and asked her to accept the forgiveness of the community for her husband’s role in the killings.

“Damien was caught up in a life,” Mr. Burns said. “Damien was caught up in a moment.”

Sky Cloud Sanderson broke down in uncontrolled sobbing.

Ivor Wayne Burns, a community elder who was also a brother of Gloria Burns, said he forgave the killers.

“We forgive them,” he said, “because if we don’t, our anger will turn to hate and resentment and we will never heal. To move on, we have to forgive them boys.”….”

From this, it doesn't sound like the community believes Damien was innocent of the crimes, but rather that he was an active participant in the murders.

Shortly after he was arrested following a high-speed highway pursuit, video emerged of Sanderson, dressed in black pants and a maroon shirt, being placed under arrest ... Sanderson can be seen looking off to the right while one of the officers runs his hand down Sanderson’s right leg.

Following this, police said he was placed, alone, in the rear of a police vehicle and was being driven to the station when he went into “medical distress.”

Officers tried to revive Sanderson. Paramedics arrived and transported him by ambulance to a Saskatoon hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police have said that Sanderson, 32, may have had an existing — as yet unidentified — injury. It was revealed that he broke into a vehicle in the nearby town of Weldon and stole a first aid kit, with the presumed goal of treating himself.

Snipped by me.

This was a powerful moment. She will need the support of the community and it seems she has it.

But I definitely heard a different word than the NYT is reporting…..even on rewatching that.

MOO

From this, it doesn't sound like the community believes Damien was innocent of the crimes, but rather that he was an active participant in the murders.

It must be a difficult time for sure. This poor woman had nothing to do with the attacks so it’s really heartwarming how relatives of the deceased are reaching out to her to lessen her grief. But it certainly seems the band is aware of Damien‘s involvement to some extent.

“There was also a powerful moment of forgiveness between the brother of one of the victims and the partner of one of the alleged assailants.

Darryl Burns, who lost his sister Lydia Gloria Burns, put his arm around the wife of Damien Sanderson, who was charged with first-degree murder following Sunday's attacks.

"Our family is here to forgive," Darryl Burns said. "This woman shouldn't have to bear that kind of guilt and shame and responsibility."

Community members hugged Damien's wife as she sobbed.…”

Moo..and there is the beauty of first nation culture. Both men had children, there can be no hate because it will destroy the children. They will make it through and find peace and acceptance. I do understand Myles and Damien...i have 'lived the life'...just sorrow not anger..they will rest in peace. Moo

I can't seem to edit my previous post. Apologies for spamming this thread.

I am going to add my recommendation to watch a playback of the livestream of yesterday's James Smith Cree Nation's News Conference. <modsnip>

I sat down to watch with my "detail and logic" hat firmly on. Very quickly that was replaced by my "humanity" hat. Sometimes in my quest for the truth I forget that there are families, friends and communities living this experience. The speakers (IMO esp the families) were so.....real. I'm trying to think of a better word. Open, vulnerable, forgiving, thoughtful, wise. Those still aren't quite right. Certain parts resonated with my soul. I will admit to shedding a couple of unanticipated tears at a couple of moments. I wasn't expecting to be so moved.

IMO Darryl Burns should be a "motivational" speaker. As someone who has a passable grasp of "both sides" of the issues facing Indigenous communities and honestly don't really see a way forward, Mr Burns gave me hope. He was inspiring. I think both the Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations need to hear the message he (and others - he just stood out to me) was sharing.

As awful as this tragedy is, I actually believe we may see REAL positive change from this. We shall see....

Couple other overall observations from yesterday

* the enormous amount of genuine appreciation expressed towards the RCMP (I have LE in my family, specifically RCMP who have worked on northern reserves....while Canada doesn't quite buy into the ACAB movement, there is definitely some hostility towards LE). I think almost every person who spoke acknowledged the assistance and over and above dedication shown by the RCMP and other LE agencies. Even (most) of the talk about tribal policing recognized that this only works (IMO of course) in collaboration with the RCMP.

<modsnip>

Work got busy and I lost my train of thought. I know there was more.....apparently this is something that hits close to home for me

edit to add: Upon rewatching that specific moment about 20 times I DO agree with the NYT report of the word being "moment". It contextually fits better and I'm not looking to create drama. It's like "Laurel and Yanny" all over again....

I am going to add my recommendation to watch a playback of the livestream of yesterday's James Smith Cree Nation's News Conference. <modsnip>

I sat down to watch with my "detail and logic" hat firmly on. Very quickly that was replaced by my "humanity" hat. Sometimes in my quest for the truth I forget that there are families, friends and communities living this experience. The speakers (IMO esp the families) were so.....real. I'm trying to think of a better word. Open, vulnerable, forgiving, thoughtful, wise. Those still aren't quite right. Certain parts resonated with my soul. I will admit to shedding a couple of unanticipated tears at a couple of moments. I wasn't expecting to be so moved.

IMO Darryl Burns should be a "motivational" speaker. As someone who has a passable grasp of "both sides" of the issues facing Indigenous communities and honestly don't really see a way forward, Mr Burns gave me hope. He was inspiring. I think both the Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations need to hear the message he (and others - he just stood out to me) was sharing.

As awful as this tragedy is, I actually believe we may see REAL positive change from this. We shall see....

* the enormous amount of genuine appreciation expressed towards the RCMP (I have LE in my family, specifically RCMP who have worked on northern reserves....while Canada doesn't quite buy into the ACAB movement, there is definitely some hostility towards LE). I think almost every person who spoke acknowledged the assistance and over and above dedication shown by the RCMP and other LE agencies. Even (most) of the talk about tribal policing recognized that this only works (IMO of course) in collaboration with the RCMP.

<modsnip>

Work got busy and I lost my train of thought. I know there was more.....apparently this is something that hits close to home for me

edit to add: Upon rewatching that specific moment about 20 times I DO agree with the NYT report of the word being "moment". It contextually fits better and I'm not looking to create drama. It's like "Laurel and Yanny" all over again....
Thank you for your thoughts!

For those of you here who are familiar with the area and might be curious how everything came together, here’s a bit more information about the location the truck was stolen from.

“Sanderson, the subject of a nearly four-day manhunt following a stabbing spree on James Smith Cree Nation, stole a white Chevrolet Avalanche Toner said belonged to his friend.

"He was already in her vehicle and tore out of here," Toner said.

He said he checked on his friend who was unharmed following a brush with the fugitive.

"She told me to go get him. I took after him to about Shannon Lake down Highway 41."

Toner said he turned back after a 911 dispatcher instructed him to head back to his friend's house….”

The Nissan Rogue has been recovered. It’s even more unlikely he was ever in Regina.

“……On Thursday, RCMP received a report from someone who said they had potentially seen Sanderson, Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore said in a YouTube video Friday.

The witness said they saw an unknown male walking south on a grid road near the intersection of Range Road 2235 and Township Road 440 on Sunday at about 7:40 p.m.

Saskatchewan’s largest mass killing — which left 10 people dead and 18 injured on James Smith Cree Nation and nearby village of Weldon — took place earlier that day.

On Friday at 9:40 a.m., officers doing ground patrols located the black Nissan Rogue about four kilometres east of Crystal Springs.….

……RCMP say the Nissan Rogue been driven off the gravel road behind some trees and was not visible from the main road. The vehicle has been removed from the area and will be processed. RCMP say footage of the area where it was found is not being released at this time….”

The Nissan Rogue has been recovered. It’s even more unlikely he was ever in Regina.

“……On Thursday, RCMP received a report from someone who said they had potentially seen Sanderson, Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore said in a YouTube video Friday.

The witness said they saw an unknown male walking south on a grid road near the intersection of Range Road 2235 and Township Road 440 on Sunday at about 7:40 p.m.

Saskatchewan’s largest mass killing — which left 10 people dead and 18 injured on James Smith Cree Nation and nearby village of Weldon — took place earlier that day.

On Friday at 9:40 a.m., officers doing ground patrols located the black Nissan Rogue about four kilometres east of Crystal Springs.….

……RCMP say the Nissan Rogue been driven off the gravel road behind some trees and was not visible from the main road. The vehicle has been removed from the area and will be processed. RCMP say footage of the area where it was found is not being released at this time….”

Where is Crystal Springs in relation to James Smith Cree Nation?

Where is Crystal Springs in relation to James Smith Cree Nation?

Not far, appx 45 minutes south-west from JS Cree Nation. Depending on the location of the farm near Shannon Lake, Shannon Lake is further south, appx 20 minutes driving time. It’s not been confirmed if he had injuries other than mention of a first aid kit being taken but if so and superficial wounds only he may have chosen not to take the risk of being identified by hitchhiking, otherwise it would be a walkable distance of appx 4 hours to where the Chev Avalanche was taken.

<modsnip>

My sincere condolences to my Native Brothers and Sisters in the Cree Nation.

I am not understanding why they cannot have their own tribal police or courts? My tribe has it's own sovereignty, with a Chief, Council, Court, i.e. judges, police force and jail. But I am in the US and the treaties gave us our own sovereignty to set up our own government within the USA. Recently during McGirt the Supreme Court ruled half of Oklahoma as Indian Territory where the state has no rights at all as far as arresting or trying a tribal member on tribal land. Of course tribal police are cross deputized with county, state and local police. But tribal members are tried in tribal court before tribal judges and juries.

JMO

“The RCMP said Myles Sanderson “went into medical distress,” shortly after he was taken into police custody on Sept. 7. However, sources have told Global News and CBC News that he died after he ingested drugs, prior to being arrested.

Chief Coroner Clive Weighill told Postmedia Wednesday that preliminary autopsy results show he did not suffer from blunt force trauma. Sources close to the investigation have also told Postmedia they suspect Sanderson had overdosed on drugs.

The office of the coroner has not received the results of toxicology or neurological reports, which can often take months to provide, said Weighill….”

“The RCMP said Myles Sanderson “went into medical distress,” shortly after he was taken into police custody on Sept. 7. However, sources have told Global News and CBC News that he died after he ingested drugs, prior to being arrested.

Chief Coroner Clive Weighill told Postmedia Wednesday that preliminary autopsy results show he did not suffer from blunt force trauma. Sources close to the investigation have also told Postmedia they suspect Sanderson had overdosed on drugs.

The office of the coroner has not received the results of toxicology or neurological reports, which can often take months to provide, said Weighill….”

With so many <modswap Indigenous people> having died in police custody, I'm fairly confident that many 'sources' would like to clear things up as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
So he was in the area all along. Where did he get the drugs for his overdose? I It apears that he had superficial wounds. That answers a lot of how he evaded LE without help. If he had more serious injuries I suspect we would be dealing with a different situation, because he would need help. He didn't want to get injured so avoided trouble. He stayed hidden probably in sheds or unoccupied places. However if someone stumbled upon him it could be totally dangerous and he would harm that person/s. I'm sure he had food and water at these unoccupied places. So was he high on drugs the whole time after his rampage or did he consume drugs recently before he was apprehended?

Drug addicts take drugs till they are gone, and then they look for more. I can't imagine him hanging onto any drugs for days, I have to wonder if he recently got more from someone. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668
Back