CANADA CANADA - 83 Missing & Murdered women of Edmonton, Alberta

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://globalnews.ca/news/2135689/m...ed-rcmp-may-be-searching-for-a-serial-killer/
rbbm

July 28 2015 Video, audio.
"WATCH: A disturbing series of discoveries in Alberta has led the police to ask for public to help in tracking down a man they suspect is a serial killer. The remains of four women have been found near the same area – one of them had been missing for more than a decade. The RCMP are hoping someone might have information to help them crack the cases."

" “There are predators cruising these streets or the internet right now looking for woman who are in vulnerable situations,” said Kate Quinn, executive director for the Centre to End All Sexual Exploitation (CEASE).

RCMP timeline: Human remains found within an eight-kilometre radius in Leduc County"

snip>

"April 28, 2003 – Katie Sylvia Ballantyne is last seen in Edmonton. Her remains were found near Leduc on July 7, 2003.
May 15, 2004 – Delores Brower is last seen in Edmonton. Her remains were found on a rural property near Leduc on April 19, 2015.
May 9, 2004 – Corrie Ottenbreit is last seen in Edmonton. Her remains are found on a rural property near Leduc on April 19, 2015.
August 18, 2010 – Amber Tuccaro is last seen in Leduc County. Her remains are found on a rural property near Leduc on September 1, 2012."

Thank-you dotr - this particular group of 4 women as possibly linked is something. In the video Insp Glavin uses the term '4 women' so is somewhat confirming the possibility of this link. Jmo.

If that is the thinking, then Svekla is ruled out due to Amber missing in 2010.

Again cold weather for three of them.

28 April 2003 Edmonton Katie Ballantyne - big snowfall the day before - 17.2 cms. Overnight low for the 28th was -1.5 C. Wind gusts up to 31 km/hour.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...959-05-01|2012-04-11&Year=2003&Month=4&Day=01

9 May 2004 Edmonton Corrie Ottenbreit - some snow that day. Overnight low was -4.5 C. Wind gusts estimated at 46 km/hour.

15 May 2004 Edmonton Delores Brower - overnight low was -4.8 C. Wind gusts estimated at 31 Km/hour.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...959-05-01|2012-04-11&Year=2004&Month=5&Day=01

This is facinating that you speak of a possible connection with names. There are many name similarities in cases in the western provinces and I happened to of just watched a segment of Dr. Michael Arntfield and he was talking of cases where there was indeed a number of homicides that were linked to their names but I can't seem to locate it now. If anyone can locate it then please share here.
http://michaelarntfield.com/

Trying to help Patience.... Delores Brower and Delores Brown

Is it not just a little eerie that the remains of Delores Brower were found on April 19 of this year on a rural property east of Leduc and on August 19 the remains of Delores Brown were found on Norway Island (about a km away from her home community) just east of Ladysmith, Vancouver Island. She had been missing since July 27 at which time she was on her way to her Grandmother's house. This whole story reads like Little Red Riding Hood. Is the same SK sailing around the world hunting native Delores's with similar last names?

Maybe he just wants everyone to know he has frequent flyer miles or nothing but time and money on his hands, but it seems like one H of an advertising gig to me. Especially when you throw in the fact that Corrie Ottenbreit's remains were found at the same location as Delores Brown's.

I, for one am officially creeped out... on a level that warrants further investigation. So I'm going to apply all I know of "the voice" (Amber Tuccaro) and apply it to the distinct possibility that he was on his boat which is moored at Ladysmith on Vancouver Island over the time of Delores Brown's disappearance.

This link is a good resource for our research here.
http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/

Happened to be looking at this link online when you posted it as I noticed something with Katie Ballantyne.

The link btw is a compilation from the Edmonton Journal - while info regarding Svekla is prominent in the presentation, the links made between some of the women may or may not be attributed to Svekla in the minds of LE. Not sure as the article states the RCMP linked five out of ten deaths in Edmonton.

Within the link is a subtitle - Five similar deaths lead police to suspect single killer. The title is just below Svekla's picture. In that sub-article, dated 2008, the five linked deaths are -

Edna Bernard, Debbie Lake, Monique Pitre, Melissa Munch and Katie Ballantyne. Katie would have been the last victim in this particular grouping.

Yet in dotr's post #343, which is from 2015, Katie Ballantyne is linked with Corrie Ottenbreit, Delores Brower and Amber Tuccaro - spanning a 10 year period and found in close proximity (Ottenbreit and Brower exactly the same location). Katie would be first in this group.

So tricky imo - things could change as time goes by.

This is facinating that you speak of a possible connection with names. There are many name similarities in cases in the western provinces and I happened to of just watched a segment of Dr. Michael Arntfield and he was talking of cases where there was indeed a number of homicides that were linked to their names but I can't seem to locate it now. If anyone can locate it then please share here.
http://michaelarntfield.com/

Still looking, but for now..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_murders

"The "Alphabet murders" (also known as the "double initial murders") took place in the early 1970s in the Rochester, New York, area; three young girls were raped and strangled. The case got its name from the fact that each of the girls' first and last names started with the same letter and that each body was found in a town that had a name starting with the same letter as each girl's name (Carmen Colon in Churchville, Wanda Walkowicz in Webster and Michelle Maenza in Macedon)."

This is an article linked in the 'Project Kare' thread, page 1, post #5. It's dated 26 Oct 2007.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn....html?id=fffdc998-9279-4819-912e-b6972e51b5fa

Part of the article deals with the attempt by the Edmonton Journal and other media outlets to obtain info regarding who the victims are that Project Kare is investigating. The judge ruled that giving out info on causes of death and autopsies etc would remain sealed - it doesn't appear that the media wanted that info.

The judge also ruled that whatever LE wanted to remain sealed would remain sealed, including the names - which is what the media was mainly after.

Seems like a blunder by LE to me. They shut the media out and by extension the public. This thread has no meaningful lists of names, dates and locations as a result. Many articles I have read or re-read in the last couple of days throw out numbers - 30 bodies found between 1975 and 2012, 83 missing and 6 found, 11 deaths linked - up from 5. No names. No meaningful context.

Now Project Kare is down to 15 members or less - and only 1 person ever charged with 1 murder. I get that no evidence is no evidence, but I give all LE involved a failing grade for method and sincerity. Jmo.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2135689/m...ed-rcmp-may-be-searching-for-a-serial-killer/
rbbm

July 28 2015 Video, audio.
"WATCH: A disturbing series of discoveries in Alberta has led the police to ask for public to help in tracking down a man they suspect is a serial killer. The remains of four women have been found near the same area – one of them had been missing for more than a decade. The RCMP are hoping someone might have information to help them crack the cases."

" “There are predators cruising these streets or the internet right now looking for woman who are in vulnerable situations,” said Kate Quinn, executive director for the Centre to End All Sexual Exploitation (CEASE).

RCMP timeline: Human remains found within an eight-kilometre radius in Leduc County"

snip>

"April 28, 2003 – Katie Sylvia Ballantyne is last seen in Edmonton. Her remains were found near Leduc on July 7, 2003.
May 15, 2004 – Delores Brower is last seen in Edmonton. Her remains were found on a rural property near Leduc on April 19, 2015.
May 9, 2004 – Corrie Ottenbreit is last seen in Edmonton. Her remains are found on a rural property near Leduc on April 19, 2015.
August 18, 2010 – Amber Tuccaro is last seen in Leduc County. Her remains are found on a rural property near Leduc on September 1, 2012."

After reading, re-reading articles on the subject of Edmonton missing and murdered, find the video within the linked article here to be of poor communication by RCMP Insp Gibson Glavin and of zero value.

Glavin talks about 3 other people found in the same area of Corrie Ottenbreit. He doesn't mention their names. Seems to me there are more than 3 others found in Leduc. No context given to how close.

Glavin talks about suspect profiles - doesn't give an update on that.

Glavin does spend time on the lifestyle of the unnamed women he talks about. They were prostitutes, how risky that is, how they know it's risky - does not sum up why he is relating that in his 4 minute interview. The interviewer does a good job at jumping in and coaxing Glavin to say what he wants from the public at this point.

What Glavin wants is for anyone who had contact with 'these women' to come forward and tell LE about it, no matter how small it might seem. The names and pics of 'them' briefly appear on a board all at the same time.

Boo imo. Suspect 1 guy for 1 murder is all Canadian LE will ever get on this matter. The one victim who has had a conviction for her murder wasn't even in Edmonton. Looks like square one to me. Jmo.

Still looking, but for now..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_murders

"The "Alphabet murders" (also known as the "double initial murders") took place in the early 1970s in the Rochester, New York, area; three young girls were raped and strangled. The case got its name from the fact that each of the girls' first and last names started with the same letter and that each body was found in a town that had a name starting with the same letter as each girl's name (Carmen Colon in Churchville, Wanda Walkowicz in Webster and Michelle Maenza in Macedon)."

Yes that's it! Brilliant! The double initial murders. They are talked about in Murder City.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=f-...e&q=alphabet murder michael arntfield&f=false

I recall there being eight cases that were linked together under the Project Kare Mandate. Here is an old link to the Old Alberta Serial Website. I am only posting it because it might disappear and it shows a blurb stating that somewhere eight cases were linked and we can look for a proper link. One of the handles over there had claimed that he was a suspect in eight cases and claimed he had been asked to give DNA. anyone remember that?

• The Alberta Serial Killer

edmontonsk.webs.com/articles1.htm

called Project KARE. ... B.C. and Alberta detectives search for links in eight cases When investigators from Edmonton, Victoria, Kamloops, Vernon and Kelowna

Happened to be looking at this link online when you posted it as I noticed something with Katie Ballantyne.

The link btw is a compilation from the Edmonton Journal - while info regarding Svekla is prominent in the presentation, the links made between some of the women may or may not be attributed to Svekla in the minds of LE. Not sure as the article states the RCMP linked five out of ten deaths in Edmonton.

Within the link is a subtitle - Five similar deaths lead police to suspect single killer. The title is just below Svekla's picture. In that sub-article, dated 2008, the five linked deaths are -

Edna Bernard, Debbie Lake, Monique Pitre, Melissa Munch and Katie Ballantyne. Katie would have been the last victim in this particular grouping.

Yet in dotr's post #343, which is from 2015, Katie Ballantyne is linked with Corrie Ottenbreit, Delores Brower and Amber Tuccaro - spanning a 10 year period and found in close proximity (Ottenbreit and Brower exactly the same location). Katie would be first in this group.

So tricky imo - things could change as time goes by.

Ok sorry but that previous post might take you to the Mindy Tran site. if you want to search here you can find that there are eight linked cases apparently.
Feb 18, 2006 ... The eight cases that the RCMP say are actively being investigated are ..... Project Evenhanded in British Columbia and Alberta's Project Kare.
www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?26708...

500 native women who have disappeared or been murdered in the ...

Feb 18, 2006 ... The eight cases that the RCMP say are actively being investigated are ..... Project Evenhanded in British Columbia and Alberta's Project Kare.
www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?26708...

I can't find it currently, but there was an online article released in 2007 where police mentioned that there were 11 murders in Edmonton that were linked (not counting Theresa Innes). It wasn't stated explicitly, but the general tone seemed to indicate that they believe Svleka was responsible for these. Like I said, I can't find the article currently, but I was able to figure out the names of the supposedly linked 11 victims, and they are:

-Bernadette Ahenaskew (1989)
-Edna Bernard (2002)
-Monique Pitre (2003)
-Melissa Munch (2003)
-Debbie Lake (2003)
-Katie Ballantyne (2003)
-Delores Brower (2004)
-Rachel Quinney (2004)
-Corrie Ottenbrient (2004)
-Maggie Burke (2004)
-Charlene Gould (2005)

However, this list does not include 9 other murders that have not been officially linked by law enforcement, but were similar in nature, those being:

-Jessica Cardinal (1997)
-Cara King (1997)
-Joyce Hewitt (1997)
-Kelly Reily (2001)
-Lynn Jackson (2004)
-Samantha Berg (2005)
-Krystle Knott (2005)
-Rene Gunning (2005)
-Bonnie Jack (2006)

So the general consensus is that counting Theresa Innes, Svleka is probably responsible for 12 to 21 murders between 1989 and 2006. But that doesn't explain the murders of Leanne Benwell, Brianna Torvalson, Amber Tuccaro, and Mackenzie Harris from 2007 to 2015. These murders were very similar to the ones linked to Svleka, yet he couldn't have committed them because he's locked up. So the big question is, who is this new SK responsible for the 2007 onward murders? Are we looking at a copycat? That's what i'm starting to lean towards honestly.

It's here buckeye05 - also linked in post #350.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn....html?id=fffdc998-9279-4819-912e-b6972e51b5fa

The revelation concerning an ongoing investigation into additional serial killer suspects comes three days after court records revealed that profilers and investigators believe the same person is probably responsible for the deaths of as many as 11 city sex-trade workers, including Quinney.

So far have managed to collect a list of 30 women found murdered since 1980 in and around Edmonton - a crazy challenge since one can only find bits and pieces from dozens of sources. To reach a total of 83 I need another 53 - are the rest missing but not reported by LE? Are there bodies not reported by LE? Something seems off to me.

Here are the only 4 women from the 1980's that I can find anything on regarding possible investigation by Project Kare. The info has been gathered from numerous sources as not one article seems available that includes all pertinent or meaningful info - so no links.

Gail Cardinal 21 - reported missing April 1980, found 1983 10 kms south of Fort Saskatchewan AB, north of Sherwood Park area

Melodie Joy Riegel 21 - last seen 20 Sep 1986 Edmonton, found 21 Sep 1986 strangled in motel room at 10630 Kingsway Ave Edmonton (was or is called Pan American Motel)

Georgette Flint 20 - found 13 Sep 1988 in or west of Elk Island National Park - east of Sherwood Park, half naked. No last seen date available - her mother had tried to report her missing for at least a month

Bernadette Ahenakew 22 - last seen Oct 1989 Edmonton. Found 24 Oct 1989 in a ditch in Sherwood Park.

Hmmm. I'm actually pretty sure that Bernadette Ahenaskew was considered to be one of Svekla's first victims. Back in 2007, police stated she was one of the 11. I don't know much about the other three. I'm not sure how I feel about the Melodie Riegel case. MO seems off with that one (lack of transportation/dumping of the body), but the other two are interesting, although they occurred quite a while ago.

Here is an old article that I think is informative about how society targets stw's.
http://www.missingpeople.net/society_targets_prostitutes.htm
SFU Criminology Prof. John Lowman says prostitutes have been stigmatized which makes them prey for some deviant men
"What we have done, with all of this talk about getting rid of prostitutes, is that it gives predatory, misogynistic men a rationale for doing it in a situation where they don't think too many people will care," said John Lowman, a criminologist at Simon Fraser University. "We shouldn't be talking about serial killing. We should be talking here why we're allowing this to happen to prostitutes. We've actually created a situation, a social milieu where we've invited predatory misogynistic men to go and kill prostitutes."
On July 7, a farmer found Katie Sylvia Ballentyne's body in a hayfield near the tiny community of Rollyview, Alta., about 65 kilometres southeast of Edmonton. Police say the 40-year-old led a high-risk lifestyle, not necessarily involved in the sex trade but living a transient lifestyle that may have involved drugs.
She is the fifth woman in the last 10 months whose body or remains have been found in rural communities around Edmonton. In the last 15 years, nine women's bodies have been dumped in country fields or ditches.
Lowman castigated Edmonton police and area RCMP for not setting up a formal task force -- like the one in Vancouver that is investigating the disappearance and murders of over 60 prostitutes -- to look at all nine suspicious deaths, especially the five most recent cases discovered in such a short period of time.
The investigative team is instead focusing efforts on solving Ballentyne's death, even though the RCMP hasn't ruled out the chance there may be links between some of the cases.
Police have been tight-lipped about the causes of any of the deaths. Five of the bodies were found just outside the eastern edge of Edmonton and in Elk Island Park, which is about 40 km east of the city. Two of the bodies were found within six kilometres of each other.
Like Ballentyne, the burned corpse of Edna Bernard was found in a field east of Leduc on Sept. 23, 2002.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back