CANADA Canada - Adam, Trevor, & Mitchell O'Brien, Torbay, NF, 9 Nov 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Quest for Happiness - By Gary O'Brien October 1, 2000

This is the story of a man's struggle to reach his true self. Terry was born in Ireland, where he spent his formative years. His was a restrictive society, confined within the tenets of his school and church, which were interconnected, his family structure, and his circle of friends. Leaving home for the first time, Terry suddenly finds himself in utter desolation. Caught in the depts of dispear, Terry formulates a system to find its root causes, and in so doing, he peels away the underlying causes layer by layer until, finally he reaches a point of inner peace.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Quest-Happiness-Gary-OBrien/dp/0533133130

Very interesting that Gary's mother was born/associated with Flatrock, Newfoundland and that is the area where Gary's car was found in the ocean. Coincidence - I think not.

Miscellaneous:

Flatrock is only 7 or 8 kms from Torbay.

2011 census populations:
Torbay 7,397; Flatrock 1,457

According to the ^^ genealogy link, GO's father died in Dec 1998 and his mother in Sept 2006 (that's wrong because her obit was published in 1996 .. she died Sept 29, 1996, a little over a month prior to the disappearance of GO and the boys on Nov 9, 1996):

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Newspaper-Obits/hynes_obit_o.shtml

O'BRIEN, Catherine Veronica
The Evening Telegram October 1, 1996 (Tuesday)
(Torbay) Passed away at St. Clare's Mercy Hospital on Sunday, September 29th, 1996 at 6:35 p.m., age 72 years. Leaving to mourn her husband Thomas (Joe); brother Al Wade; daughters Helen, Margaret, Patricia, Angela, Colleen and Maureen; sons Gary and Patrick; five grandchildren: Adam, Trevor, Mitchell, Justin and Selina. Also a large circle of relatives and friends, including a very special friend Margaret Power. Remains resting at Caul's Funeral Home, Torbay. Funeral Mass at Holy Trinity Church Wednesday October 2nd, 1996 at 10:00 a.m. Interment Torbay. In lieu of flowers donations in her memory may be made to the Palliative Care Unit at St. Clare's or the Children's School Lunch Program. May she rest in peace.

Yep, you nailed it - that is him and the boys and info on family names. Awesome.

A $he!!ey o'b seems to be the keeper of the family ancestry online. Interesting that in her numerous records, I can find no reference to either the missing or deceased family members.

Would be so interesting to know why Diana considers the possibility of a communal living situation.. Was GO somehow introduced to some non-traditional form of religion, and if so, by whom? Was there another lady in his life, or folks he spent time with that might shed some light on this?

Miscellaneous:

Flatrock is only 7 or 8 kms from Torbay.

2011 census populations:
Torbay 7,397; Flatrock 1,457

According to the ^^ genealogy link, GO's father died in Dec 1998 and his mother in Sept 2006 (that's wrong because her obit was published in 1996 .. she died Sept 29, 1996, a little over a month prior to the disappearance of GO and the boys on Nov 9, 1996):

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Newspaper-Obits/hynes_obit_o.shtml

Wow. Another great find. Keep 'em comin. We are just getting rolling, and I feel left out.

Trigger point - how close was Gary to his Mother

ETA - Trying to find the AMW and Montel Williams hows in archives somewhere. A year would help narrow things down....

How would he leave Nfld without being seen, especially since he gave fair warning that he had the three boys? Would he not have needed passports to get them to Europe, if that's where the theory leads?

Wow. Another great find. Keep 'em comin. We are just getting rolling, and I feel left out.

Trigger point - how close was Gary to his Mother

ETA - Trying to find the AMW and Montel Williams hows in archives somewhere. A year would help narrow things down....

Re the AMW episode ... this article dated December 13, 1996 says:

http://newspaperarchive.com/ca/alberta/lethbridge/lethbridge-herald/1996/12-13/page-18

The most wanted people in Newfound- land will be featured Saturday night on America's Most Wanted. The popular television show will profile the case of Gary O'Brien, 40, of Torbay, Nfld., missing since Nov. 9 with his three sons follow- ing the breakup of his marriage. "They're going to be having a segment aired in relation to these abducted Sgt. Paula Buckle of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said Wednesday.

So the Saturday episode should have been Dec 14 (or at latest the following Saturday, Dec 21)

How would he leave Nfld without being seen, especially since he gave fair warning that he had the three boys? Would he not have needed passports to get them to Europe, if that's where the theory leads?

Not sure passports would have been needed in 1996 to travel out of country. Possibly just birth certificates I am thinking and Gary may have had copies of the boy's birth certificates. Will have to check further to see what the requirements were back in 1996 but do think they would be rather lax compared to now.

Diana describes her ex-husband as resourceful, and intelligent, and fully capable of anything. She also believes that those close to O’Brien may have assisted in the abduction.

Then, 11 months after the boys’ disappearance, the engine of a 1989 Ford Tempo, the same model car O’Brien was known to be driving, was found in the waters off Red Head Cliff, a 90 meter drop into the ocean. The serial number on the engine matched the serial number of Gary’s car. However, there is no indication that anyone was in the car when it went into the ocean. It is believed that this was another diversion to mislead police.

http://lightingtheirwayhome.wordpre...ber-9-1996-cmcc000019ltwh-updated-07-30-2013/

Some connections to family living in the US:

O'Brien, Thomas Joseph (Joe)
The Telegram December 10, 1998
Passed away suddenly at his home in Torbay on Tuesday, December 8th, 1998, age 74 years. Predeceased by his wife Catherine on September 29th, 1996. Survived by sister Mary Manning, Torbay; brothers: Gordon (Florence), Torbay, Francis (Gerry), Kentucky; brother-in-law Robert Dodds, California. Also survived by children in Torbay, St. John's, Ontario and Florida; also numerous nieces and nephews. Resting at Caul's Funeral Home, Torbay, Wednesday 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. Funeral Mass on Thursday, December 10th, 1998 at 10 a.m. from Holy Trinity Church, Torbay. Cremation to follow.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/shelleyobrienfamtree/obituaries.html

I have been thinking about this kidnapping of the 3 young O'Brien children for years. I always read the notice on child find on a weekly basis. I have read all the postings.

It would seem impossible for me for the father with the 3 boys to be anywhere in North America. You can not live in most places without paper work as to your identity. Such colonies as the Hutterites which could be considered to be somewhat on the outside of our normal society would not take you. As well, individual Hutterites are somewhat up to date on what is happening. Individual members quite likely would have seen the child find notices that are displayed in shopping centers, etc..

I went to Flatrock on google maps and visualized this all happening. The car that belonged to Gary O'Brien had been dumped in the ocean right off of Flatrock. I looked North of Flatrock and saw Greenland. I see the dumping of the vehicle as a farewell gesture to Canada.

I had a penpal from Greenland and learned of the ways of society there. It would seem that Greenland would be somewhat off the grid in terms of any regulation of their society. I could see a person being able to live without contact with big government in this place, particularly if you were in a mining area. They would pay you. Gary O'Brien seems to be proficient in explosives. Greenland now is somewhat like Canada was about 1910. People just got on boats and came from England and had their citizenship pretty automatically. There is no other place in this hemisphere like Greenland in that regards.

I don't know how Gary would have got himself and the young boys to Greenland. But it would seem obvious to me that he had help in this venture. But it could have been done with a good boat waiting off shore, and a connection to a ship heading to Greenland.

Therefore, I would suggest that the search for Gary, Adam, Trevor, and Mitchell O'Brien to be extended to Greenland.

I would appreciate it if other websleuthers could consider this as a possibility and sleuth out the option.

To me, I could see their type of society as being attractive to Gary O'Brien.

I have been thinking about this kidnapping of the 3 young O'Brien children for years. I always read the notice on child find on a weekly basis. I have read all the postings.

It would seem impossible for me for the father with the 3 boys to be anywhere in North America. You can not live in most places without paper work as to your identity. Such colonies as the Hutterites which could be considered to be somewhat on the outside of our normal society would not take you. As well, individual Hutterites are somewhat up to date on what is happening. Individual members quite likely would have seen the child find notices that are displayed in shopping centers, etc..

I went to Flatrock on google maps and visualized this all happening. The car that belonged to Gary O'Brien had been dumped in the ocean right off of Flatrock. I looked North of Flatrock and saw Greenland. I see the dumping of the vehicle as a farewell gesture to Canada.

I had a penpal from Greenland and learned of the ways of society there. It would seem that Greenland would be somewhat off the grid in terms of any regulation of their society. I could see a person being able to live without contact with big government in this place, particularly if you were in a mining area. They would pay you. Gary O'Brien seems to be proficient in explosives. Greenland now is somewhat like Canada was about 1910. People just got on boats and came from England and had their citizenship pretty automatically. There is no other place in this hemisphere like Greenland in that regards.

I don't know how Gary would have got himself and the young boys to Greenland. But it would seem obvious to me that he had help in this venture. But it could have been done with a good boat waiting off shore, and a connection to a ship heading to Greenland.

Therefore, I would suggest that the search for Gary, Adam, Trevor, and Mitchell O'Brien to be extended to Greenland.

I would appreciate it if other websleuthers could consider this as a possibility and sleuth out the option.

To me, I could see their type of society as being attractive to Gary O'Brien.
It's as good idea as any.

If you know of any big Greenland facebook groups or social media sites we could target, please post links.

WG

I had the theory of the boys being taken to Greenland, as there is apparently a regular shipping line from St. John's to Greenland. I had contacted someone on interpals concerning my theory. But they never wrote back. If anyone from Greenland reads this post, can you contact me by private message.
I have difficulty in believing that Gary O'bien, the father of the boys, sank his vehcle in the ocean, as a diversion, since it's unlikely that anyone would ever see the vehicle. It was only by chance that it was found. But it does seem that Gary O'Brien had an accomplice in carrying out his plan.

There are very few websleuthers on this case. That is discouraging. I often see the picture on the various posters with child find. But now, that is about 20 years ago, so they would be grown up. It's puzzling to me, why they as young men never contacted their mother, if they are able to.

We need help to solve this.

20 years later, Diana Saunders still searches for her 3 missing sons

http://www.cjob.com/syn/123/29974/20-years-later-diana-saunders-still-searches-for-her-3-missing-sons

Over the years Saunders sought professional help and got involved with organizations that focus on missing children cases.

But after 20 years she is still haunted by the question of why her three sons haven’t contacted her.

“There is not one reason that would come to my mind of why they wouldn’t [contact me] other than the obvious and I don’t believe that,” Saunders said, who remains steadfast her children are alive.

Saunders believes O’Brien and the children could be in an area that is “off-the-grid” without access to any kind of technology or that the boys have been “brainwashed” against her.

Last Friday, the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) released age progressed photos of Adam, now 34, Trevor, now 31, and Mitchell, now 25.

Saunders loves seeing the photos. For her, they are a bittersweet way of staying connected to her children.

“I love it when they do those age progressions, it’s like watching them grow without them being present,” she said. “I see such a strong family resemblance.”

Saunders said she’s no longer in regular contact with the police, as investigators don’t want to contact her without a credible tip in an effort to shield her from false hope.

The three boys are listed on the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary’s Missing Persons website, and RNC Const. Danny Doiron, a supervisor with the major crime unit, says the O’Brien case is an active and open investigation that has received leads as recently as December 2016.

“We do have tips that are fairly recent that we have an [investigator] assigned to that follows up,” Doiron told Global News. “The possibilities are endless and we can’t say with any degree of certainty where we believe they are.”

For Saunders, she says she will never rest or find peace until she has an answer.

“I am fighting every day to see my children,” Saunders said. “Unless I have proof that they are no longer on this Earth than I am going to keep at and keep looking for them… don’t ever give up on your kids.”

threesons.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy82504
Back