Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of two online fundraisers (the main one with ~$40,000 and a newer one for the vacation fund.)

There are also two trust funds that have been set up at banks that I have heard of. There is one trust fund with Alberta Treasury Branch (this was started very early on, maybe three or four days into the disappearance.) There is a second trust fund at CIBC which I believe was set up by KL's friend from Canmore.

I'm curious as to what the "vacation" fund is about or for. Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea why but the go fund me site will not paste here.. see my above post for the link with spaces ... remove the spaces before putting in your browser

I wholeheartedly agree with this complaint. I've never seen anything like it before. The suspect is presumed innocent and his rights should be protected. I think it is the media, rather than police, that overstepped the boundaries, but police should have taken additional measures to prevent the media circus that happened in the middle of the night.

One minute and 17 seconds is a long time to leave a suspect exposed to the media. Yeah, there should be a back door for this kind of thing. On the other hand, a photo of the suspect in custody is an important part of media work, especially in the case of such a heinous murder.

We certainly can commend LE for maintaining the privacy of DG's parents.

I have no idea why but the go fund me site will not paste here.. see my above post for the link with spaces ... remove the spaces before putting in your browser

Promoting fundraising is against the rules, so the fund raising sites are automatically filtered and you can't post them.

I checked the link and it just seems to be someone who isn't associated with the family and has taken it upon herself to decide that the family deserves a vacation.

I checked the link and it just seems to be someone who isn't associated with the family and has taken it upon herself to decide that the family deserves a vacation.

That's about right. But my point is that people pop up all over the place to do things like this. You don't even know who you are handing money over to... it may not even be the family.

If anyone remembers in the Loretta Saunders case, people were "raising" money for t shirts for the memorial, etc. No connection to the family, just raising money.

It was a total farce.

His parents own that HUGE property. If he were innocent, no doubt they would help him out.
....but I was responding to your link about a wrongful death suit. I doubt they would sell their farm to pay a wrongful death suit brought against their son.

So what I'm saying is I'm doubtful that he, DG, would have assets of his own that would be paid to the families, L & O, in the case of a judgement in a wrongful death suit against DG. It's all well and good to bring a wrongful death suit against someone without assets ....

Someone feels that the family is deserving of a vacation as a result of this ordeal and wants to collect funds which will be provided to the family in the form of a travel voucher for future use.

In all honest, it could be a scam. If I'm not mistaken, these fundraising websites are not verified by any means so it could be a scam based on the popularity of this ongoing event.

That is another weird thing for this case. The fact that they were going to do the huge reward but LE stopped it. I wonder if LE was feeling unsure of the family's sketchy financial situation. Or why else would they not let them offer an award? I mean Tamra Keepness' reward went up from $25000 to $50000 10 years later.

Each case is different, and LE may have felt it could be inflammatory if there was a financial motive involved .. it may have enraged the perp and endangered any of the 3 missing victims who may have still been alive. The perp may have lost it by having $$ waved in his face by the family who, in his mind, screwed him out of what he thought he was entitled to.

The only part that I had a problem with was the reporter, otherwise this is what occurs in every other case in Calgary. I'm curious if is was part of a plan to attempt to rattle DG a bit. I think it looked more dramatic due to the walk occurring at night. JMO

Who are the men walking with DG? Detectives? Undercover police?

They look slightly similar to DG. Similar age, round face, hairline, glasses etc... I wondered if there was a significant reason behind this. To find common ground with DG? A familiarity so he feels comfortable opening up?

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/douglas-garland-s-media-walk-questioned-by-the-head-of-the-defence-lawyers-association-1.1921381

dg.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with this complaint. I've never seen anything like it before. The suspect is presumed innocent and his rights should be protected. I think it is the media, rather than police, that overstepped the boundaries, but police should have taken additional measures to prevent the media circus that happened in the middle of the night.

Without the media and a perp walk, we never would have seen this:

http://storage.edmontonsun.com/v1/d...02562858340_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

http://i2.ifrm.com/7418/25/upload/p3811969.jpg

....but I was responding to your link about a wrongful death suit. I doubt they would sell their farm to pay a wrongful death suit brought against their son.

I'm always surprised when there is a suggestion that parents should pay legal (or other) fees for an adult child. I could understand a loan, or an inheritance advance, but not a money gift.

The only part that I had a problem with was the reporter, otherwise this is what occurs in every other case in Calgary. I'm curious if is was part of a plan to attempt to rattle DG a bit. I think it looked more dramatic due to the walk occurring at night. JMO

Not a single LEO that surrounded DG looked like they were basking in the limelight.

Who are the men walking with DG? Detectives? Undercover police?

They look slightly similar to DG. Similar age, round face, hairline, glasses etc... I wondered if there was a significant reason behind this. To find common ground with DG? A familiarity so he feels comfortable opening up?

They're homicide detectives.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I have absolutely zero issues with the legitimate fundraisers going on for the family. I also don't care if they use it for legal fees, therapy, home renos or an around the world vacation. This family has been irreparably ripped apart. They themselves are not out soliciting funds from people, and no one is being forced to donate. If there is anything in this world that could help this family heal, I can guarantee the residents of Calgary would pull together and hand it to them on a silver platter. This city for all of it's faults has such a beautiful, giving spirit. If you doubt this in any way, see the outpouring of support during our floods last year, as well as this case.

I thought that it was disgusting and humiliating. What if they have the wrong guy?

No better than a public execution in my mind. Try and find a jury that did not see that and automatically think he was guilty. I believe it was a miscarriage of justice for what was initially a tight lipped and air tight case being built.

It wasn't a great idea to do the perp walk like that. Not only is it unfair if he is innocent (innocent until proven guilty, remember), but also, it could jeopardize any the case because the jury members could be influenced by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member