Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason ,I just can't believe the Liknesses were his first.I'm hoping the Calgrary police are checking on any connections.Its too bad we can't compare the voice recording with DG's.

I always thought that the voice recording sounded like a Native accent.

ETA... I listened to it again and I don't know why I thought native accent. Anyway, it could be identifiable by his family if it is DG. I wonder if the family was made aware of this recording.

There was also the mention back in the summer about Helena Mihaljevic
http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=991e3730-c59a-4bf0-9829-e5033683ac4a

I just listened to the recording and thought I heard a hint of a Boston/New York accent.Ab-sol-utely........do Albertans have an accent? Lol

West and Central Canada
Main article: West/Central Canadian English
The most common variety of Canadian English the one spoken in West/Central Canada. Overall, the pronunciation of English in most of Canada, and especially in Central and Western Canada, is very similar to the pronunciation of English found in the Western United States; Canadian raising and the Canadian vowel shift are the most distinctive features.

Canadian raising
Main article: Canadian raising
A number of Canadians have a distinct feature called "Canadian raising" (Chambers 1973). This feature means that the nucleus of the diphthongs /aɪ/ and /aʊ/ are "raised" before voiceless consonants. In most varieties of American English pairs such as pouter/powder and rider/writer are pronounced exactly the same. In Canadian English, however, when a diphthong is followed by the voiceless consonants such as /p/ /t/ /k/ /f/ and some others, the starting point of the diphthong raises from an open central vowel to a mid one.

For example, ride is pronounced [raɪd] but with write, because the diphthong is followed by a /t/, the diphthong raises and the word is pronounced [rʌɪt]. Most other speakers of American English do not possess these allophonic sounds ([ʌʊ] and [ʌɪ]) but the pronunciation is still marked. The Canadian pronunciation of "about the house" may sound like "a boat the hoas" to speakers of dialects without the raising, and in many cases is misheard (or deliberately exaggerated) as "aboot the hoos". Some stand-up and situation comedians, as well as television shows (such as South Park) exaggerate the pronunciation to *"aboot the hoos" for comic effect. True Canadian raising affects both /aʊ/ and /aɪ/, but a related phenomenon, of much wider distribution throughout the United States, affects only /aɪ/. So, whereas the General American pronunciations of rider and writer are identical ([raɪɾɚ]), those American English speakers whose dialects include either the full or restricted Canadian raising will pronounce them as [ˈraɪɾɚ] and [ˈrʌɪɾɚ], respectively. Canadian raising is quite strong in the Prairies, the Maritimes, and most of Ontario as well. It is receding in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia and among younger speakers in southern Ontario. Many of these speakers do not raise /aɪ/ before voiceless consonants. Younger speakers in the Lower Mainland do not even raise /aʊ/.[citation needed]

Canadian Vowel Shift
Main article: Canadian Shift
The cot–caught merger creates a hole in the short vowel sub-system[11] and triggers a sound change known as the Canadian Shift, mainly found in Ontario, English-speaking Montreal and further west, and led by Ontarians and women; it involves the front lax vowels /æ/, /ɛ/, /ɪ/. It is also found scattered throughout the Western United States.

The vowels in the words cot and caught merge to [ɒ], a low back rounded vowel. The /æ/ of bat is retracted to [a] (except before nasals). Indeed, /æ/ is lower in this variety than almost all other North American dialects;[12] the retraction of /æ/ was independently observed in Vancouver[13] and is more advanced for Ontarians and women than for people from the Prairies or Atlantic Canada and men.[14] Then, /ɛ/ and /ɪ/ are lowered in the direction of [æ] and [ɛ] and/or retracted; studies actually disagree on the trajectory of the shift.[15]

I just listened to the recording and thought I heard a hint of a Boston/New York accent.Ab-sol-utely........do Albertans have an accent? Lol

I thought the Ab-sol-utely was a drunken slur of sorts. But it could also be some evil tone he uses before he murders someone. It is pretty incredible that this recording is public.

I thought the Ab-sol-utely was a drunken slur of sorts. But it could also be some evil tone he uses before he murders someone. It is pretty incredible that this recording is public.
At least her body was found!I think I'll go back to the Edmonton serial killer thread and try to get it going again.

Evidence collection continues:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/evidence-collection-continues-at-garland-acreage-1.2304408
"A preliminary hearing is expected to start in about six weeks and a judge will then determine if there is enough evidence to take the case to trial."

"Mount Royal University Justice Studies professor Doug King says it is difficult to prosecute a murder case without a body and officers could be taking another look at the property to reconfirm their findings.
“They may be just reconfirming, once again, pictures or reconfirming the layout of the property and those kinds of things because police officers will likely have to present evidence at the preliminary hearing and they’re just maybe wanting to make very sure as to what’s transpiring,” said King."

Here is an image from July of the same building in your first image.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/06/article-2682049-1F6C778700000578-846_634x347.jpg

Here is one of the drug lab. Looks like it is close to another one shown in this photo. So possibly two different buildings? I can't see the silo that is shown in the second image that you uploaded.
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...rafficker-has-ties-to-family/cal0528-garland2

Here is another:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/cms/binary/10005816.jpg?size=640x420

Feel free to embed them... I am lacking that skill and battery power.

I've uploaded your two pics, thanks LL. The second National Post link didn't work, maybe because I'm not on mobile but that's ok, the other two worked.

10005816.jpgarticle-2682049-1F6C778700000578-846_634x347.jpg

I had to listen now! I didn't get Boston as Bostonians don't say theirs R's (I think of the 'pahk the cah in hahvahd yahd' Bostonism), but yeah, the ab-sol-utely thing…that stands out. I thought I heard him stress his E's as more 'ee' a lot too.

ETA - there is something kind of American sounding about his tone to me for some reason, I think it's those E's.

Just uploading one more photo of one of the brown buildings, can't tell if LE are just discussing and talking or focused on something in that spot.
1.jpg

After watching this video a few times I notice a man in black at the 1:36 and 1:38 mark. Kind of resembles Allen Liknes. It is of course the back of him and could fit many police officers but he did come to mind.

****I am pretty sure that is Allen Liknes. I also see possibly Rod O'brien and his young son LO. Or that is someone else's child. They are at the 2:11 mark.

There is also a fly over shot that is current for those curious of the landscape this time of year.
Updated link:
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=577811&binId=1.2079720&playlistPageNum=1

Also, I hate to be the conspiracy-theory-bringer-upper but would the defense and prosecution have representatives on site for this search in an effort to protect the possibility of planted evidence or tampered evidence at this time?

Another observation was at the 2:38 mark where a truck guns it past the news reporter on the gravel road. What a jerk! If he is a neighbour I would be checking out his property.

Just uploading one more photo of one of the brown buildings, can't tell if LE are just discussing and talking or focused on something in that spot.
View attachment 72004

That is the same shot where I believe the people in the background are Allen Liknes, Rod O'brien and his son (in the green hat).

ALJr is the first thing I thought of as well when I saw that person in the pic/video. Not sure about RO's son though, because he seems too big to be that son, but could be one of ALJr's? I wonder if ALJr's wife could also have been visiting with her parents at same time?

After watching this video a few times I notice a man in black at the 1:36 and 1:38 mark. Kind of resembles Allen Liknes. It is of course the back of him and could fit many police officers but he did come to mind.

****I am pretty sure that is Allen Liknes. I also see possibly Rod O'brien and his young son LO. Or that is someone else's child. They are at the 2:11 mark.

There is also a fly over shot that is current for those curious of the landscape this time of year.
Updated link:

Also, I hate to be the conspiracy-theory-bringer-upper but would the defense and prosecution have representatives on site for this search in an effort to protect the possibility of planted evidence or tampered evidence at this time?

Another observation was at the 2:38 mark where a truck guns it past the news reporter on the gravel road. What a jerk! If he is a neighbour I would be checking out his property.

Not sure it's RO and LO, in the Val Fortney article in the herald, from last night, Neighbor GH said the OBs have been/are in Mexico on vacation.
I did notice a reporter from the Sun had tweeted on the weekend that there was a young boy on scene. Reporter found it weird. (IMO, I do too)

Not sure it's RO and LO, in the Val Fortney article in the herald, from last night, Neighbor GH said the OBs have been/are in Mexico on vacation.
I did notice a reporter from the Sun had tweeted on the weekend that there was a young boy on scene. Reporter found it weird. (IMO, I do too)

Interesting. Unless they had just returned. Either that or Allen brought his child and the other man is possibly another family member.

The article in the Herald says the O'briens have been in Mexico for the past two weeks so possibly they returned by yesterday's CTV report.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...sappearance-of-nathan-obrien-and-grandparents

I also find it very odd that the family including a young child were on the scene during the police investigation.

Updated link:

Strange you mention gravel road in your post, so eerie since I just listened to the audio link and there's that mention of a gravel road!

Your observation is a great catch, I think you are correct it really does look like ALJr and RO! That's nuts though, why on earth would LE bring them there and for what reason? If it was to identify belongings of any sort they would do that at the station would they not? This seems bizarre to me.

It does seem bizarre. I didn't think LE would share any investigative details even with the victims' families.

I wonder then... with ALJr and his wife being immediate relatives of the homeowners, I wonder if ALJr could have potentially happened upon something on the property on his own accord, and called LE to come and take a look?

I wonder how the parents and sister of DG are dealing with this situation, whether they are supporting their blood relative, or their in-law, ie I mean.. which theory are they believing? And do parents and sister share the same beliefs?

It does seem bizarre. I didn't think LE would share any investigative details even with the victims' families.

I wonder then... with ALJr and his wife being immediate relatives of the homeowners, I wonder if ALJr could have potentially happened upon something on the property on his own accord, and called LE to come and take a look?

I wonder how the parents and sister of DG are dealing with this situation, whether they are supporting their blood relative, or their in-law, ie I mean.. which theory are they believing? And do parents and sister share the same beliefs?
Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in that home in regards to who believes what/who's on who side etc.

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in that home in regards to who believes what/who's on who side etc.

It sure would. I'm also curious how DG will portray himself in court, smug/arrogant or feeble victim? His lawyer will probably advise him and who knows whether he'll even listen to his counsel.

After watching the video I agree that 1 of the people looks like ALjr and I am wondering if the 2 other males are AL'jr's sons. As far as I remember he and PG have 3 children, an older teen son, a younger son and daughter

Updated link:

IMO I feel if he has stuck to his "not guilty" since day one then he will likely play the role of a wrongfully accused and be arrogent, I feel they must have had some hush hush tip(s) that led them back to the property. I mean if they were going to the Prelim in May then they clearly had enough evidence to move forward on the charges he currently is incarcerated on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV