Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much worse is this going to get? Did he kill Nathan in front of his grandparents to torture them? That's my fear. This man has no mercy - no soul - pure evil. There's the answer to anybody asking why he doesn't plead guilty. Who would expect someone who slaughtered a 5 year old boy to suddenly develop a conscience?? Evil, through and through.
Agreed.

I am afraid he did torture Nathan in front of his grandparents. It pains me to even type it.

I don't think I will make this case. There could be no further proof of evil here on earth than what the Crown has suggested in this first day of trial.

How will the jurors and reporters and witnesses to this trial be able to cope with this information? How can the family and loved ones possibly hear these things about their loved ones?

This is breaking my heart.

This is breaking my soul. Omg.

I doubt it. They were well known to one another - all of them. As I hypothesized many moons ago, he likely waited for all lights to go out and a little extra time to ensure they were in bed and asleep giving him the advantage of disabling the adults perhaps without them even awakening.

Then JO got out at the right time. Now that is really scary to think about that. it was stated that she left at 11pm

If you want a good overview of the day (and the case) and if you want to see some different video of Nathan and his grandparents, watch the video at the top of the following story...heartbreaking:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3172718/h...ouglas-garland-accused-in-nathan-obrien-case/

To read that they were killed at the Airdrie property, and that Kathryn's DNA was on meat hooks ... I can't even begin to understand what they went through. It's not surprising that the jury was told that they have access to counselling services on the first day of trial - most will probably use that service.

I was planning on going to this trial as much as possible but after reading what came out today I have changed my mind. This is was worse than I ever imagined. It's awful enough to read about it, let alone hear and see . Surely the family was told what was going to be coming ahead of time, weren't they? How could have JO and AL testify right after hearing these details for the first time? This is one sick mother
****** (I'm not a swearer, but there are no other words . . .)

Omfg.

Christie Blatchford answers the diaper question. Omg omg.

I can't even copy and paste it.

I have to go do something else.

This is going to be worse than anyone could imagine.

I've followed some horrific cases. This may end up being the worst. I don't feel the accused should be allowed to re-live his fantasies at this trial. Omg.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/fu...f-calgary-couple-and-grandson-prosecutor-says

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Omfg.

I've followed some horrific cases. This may end up being the worst. I don't feel the accused should be allowed to re-live his fantasies at this trial. Omg.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/fu...f-calgary-couple-and-grandson-prosecutor-says

He's clearly mentally ill, and an extremely dangerous man.

Based on quote from other reporter, sounds like this was a breakdown of his vehicle.. but I could be wrong..

‏@KMartinCourts
"Alvin Liknes fired Douglas Garland after the accused didn't answer his phone after liknes' vehicle broke down, Allen liknes says. #garland"

Omfg.

That probably means that adult diapers were found at the Airdrie crime scene.

‏@KMartinCourts
"Alvin Liknes fired Douglas Garland after the accused didn't answer his phone after liknes' vehicle broke down, Allen liknes says. #garland"

Doesn't that seem a bit odd? Imagine you have a job working on a patent for someone and that person's car breaks down. Should the person working on a patent be fired for not helping with the vehicle problem? That doesn't make any sense to me.

The patent was filed excluding Garland's name ... even though not much money came from the design.

There must be more to this story.

Maybe Liknes claimed that he fired Garland because Garland didn't help with a car problem, but ... is there another story?

I was planning on going to this trial as much as possible but after reading what came out today I have changed my mind. This is was worse than I ever imagined. It's awful enough to read about it, let alone hear and see . Surely the family was told what was going to be coming ahead of time, weren't they? How could have JO and AL testify right after hearing these details for the first time? This is one sick mother
****** (I'm not a swearer, but there are no other words . . .)

I'm in the States, but we were told before the testimony became graphic in my brother and sister in Law's murder. I'm sure they were told before hand.

I'm in the States, but we were told before the testimony became graphic in my brother and sister in Law's murder. I'm sure they were told before hand.

Absolutely the family knew the facts prior to the trial.

Omfg.

I hate to address this but I wonder if the diapers he used on her or them were recovered. Surely he had to have kept a souvenir. If so, I wonder if they can somehow determine a timeline for her being put through whatever he did. Does it have to apply in proving his guilt? Is this seriously the first time he has killed?

He is probably re-living every detail.

I wonder if DG had time to shower before he was picked up and if they were able to swab his parts.

Was it ever confirmed if the Garland's were his biological parents?

Yes I was.

You were what exactly?

ETA: At the courthouse? Sorry, I thought maybe you meant something else.

There is a "Reply With Quote" option that will link your comment to what you are responding to.

Omfg.

Since it was part of the Crown's opening remarks to the jury, I'll paste below for reference here. What I'm wondering is..... if the hard drive was discovered in the rafters of the basement at the acreage, how long had it been there? DG didn't have time to finish up with certain things before he was arrested, so it leads me to wonder if he had been practicing 'performing autopsies', and for how long, and on whom, before this event.... thinking of missing women in the area, etc. Will be interesting to see if police discovered receipts to indicate when the 'tools' were purchased.

A hard drive found hidden in the rafters of the basement in the Garland house showed he researched “how to kill without emotion,” researched not just the Liknes and their social media but even the particular lock on the side door to their house. His “fascination with autopsies,” particularly female bodies, and “a fascination with restrained and diapered women” was evident.

Faulkner said “he methodically researched not only ways to kill, but weapons to kill with, not only how to perform autopsies, but tools to perform them with, and then you will see those well-researched tools and those well-researched weapons located on the farm…

“This was not just research,” Faulkner said, “it was research that led to action, research that led the accused to
purchase weapons and tools for killing and dismembering.”

She told jurors the DNA of both Liknes and Nathan was found on Garland’s property, Alvin’s and Nathan’s “on a saw,” Kathy’s “on meat hooks.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000