Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Douglas Garland's triple murder trial to hear 1st from mother of 5-year-old Nathan
By Meghan Grant, CBC News Posted: Jan 16, 2017

The triple murder trial for the man accused of killing five-year-old Nathan O'Brien, and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes, will hear testimony from the boy's mother first, as it gets underway Monday morning in Calgary.

Douglas Garland, 56, is charged with three counts of first degree murder in connection with the missing family members who were last seen June 29, 2014.

[...]

The trial will begin with Gates addressing the 14-member jury and Crown prosecutor Vickie Faulkner will make an opening statement.

After that, Nathan O'Brien's mother Jennifer O'Brien will be the first witness to testify.

Here are the tweets from Kevin Martin's coverage of DG's jury selection (these are in correct chronological order in accordance with how he posted them):

Douglas Garland Jury Selection
Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Tweeted by Kevin Martin, Calgary Sun

Douglas Garland triple-murder trial to begin Monday. Jury of 14 (with two alternates) selected

Interesting that the defence essentially wants an all male jury. Any thoughts on his thinking? Is he concerned that women jurors will be more emotional about the murder of a child and thus less capable of making an objective decision?

They are expecting so much interest in this trial that a second courtroom has been booked for over-flow.

Trying to find start time. Anyone? I do know they are 2 hrs. behind me. I am EST.

I didn't go down today - it must be a huge crowd - will see about getting there another day hoopefully this week.

Having participated in a trial thread where the reporters (several of them) were tweeting live, WS members would volunteer to post the tweets of a given reporter(s), to lessen duplication, which makes for easier reading. It worked out well, because it can get very unwieldy and time-consuming if a few members are pasting tweets from same reporters, or a mix of them. Just a suggestion for how this might also be done.

Just a heads up... the tweets are posted by the reporters as they happen in court, and so if/when a few tweets are pasted at a time into our thread here at WS, they are in reverse order (unless the poster spends the time to change their order). It's time consuming (for me at least) to put them in chonological order from top to bottom, and probably is also time consuming for others too (unless someone has discovered a way it can be done quickly somehow). That can also get confusing if members aren't posting in same chono order.

Are there any volunteers here who are available to copy and paste one or more of the reporters' tweets tomorrow?

I'm happy to. I am following @CBCMeg

From https://twitter.com/CBCMeg?lang=en (thanks JadeSLeuth)

Meghan Grant ‏@CBCMeg 1h1 hour ago
PLEASE NOTE: I'm tweeting from Douglas Garland's murder trial over next 5 weeks. If you don't want to see, I ask you mute me (not unfollow)

Douglas Garland's triple murder trial to hear 1st from mother of 5-year-old Nathan
By Meghan Grant, CBC News Posted: Jan 16, 2017

The triple murder trial for the man accused of killing five-year-old Nathan O'Brien, and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes, will hear testimony from the boy's mother first, as it gets underway Monday morning in Calgary.

Douglas Garland, 56, is charged with three counts of first degree murder in connection with the missing family members who were last seen June 29, 2014.

[...]

The trial will begin with Gates addressing the 14-member jury and Crown prosecutor Vickie Faulkner will make an opening statement.

After that, Nathan O'Brien's mother Jennifer O'Brien will be the first witness to testify.

Glad to hear the mother is up first since once she testifies, she will then be free to be a spectator during the rest of the trial. Not sure if she would want to hear whatever the gory details are, since once heard, she can't ever choose to UNhear them.

Thanks Skibs. Good to see you.

I'll check back at noon EST. Either a late 9 a.m. start or it is a 10:00 a.m. start.

I'll check back at noon EST. Either a late 9 a.m. start or it is a 10:00 a.m. start.

I think they start at 10am, but I'm having difficulty finding the court schedule. Does anyone know where to look?

Reading people's Twitters ... Random person (@johangreg): "10am start but no evidence will be called until 2pm probably as judge has to swear in jurors first."
Nancy Hixt (@NancyHixt): "no one is allowed to have their phone on in court unless they are accredited media (with court)"

Reading people's Twitters ... Random person (@johangreg): "10am start but no evidence will be called until 2pm probably as judge has to swear in jurors first."
Nancy Hixt (@NancyHixt): "no one is allowed to have their phone on in court unless they are accredited media (with court)"

# for reference (BBM)

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 19s19 seconds ago
I will be tweeting from the triple murder trial for Douglas Garland. Trial will get underway at 10am. Media will be using #garland

https://twitter.com/NancyHixt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member