Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my words :) in today's world and especially if you own a pet, the word 'microchip' makes you think Pet ownership microchip but, when I read the tweet it made think - computer/technology chip ...

My original thought was computer but both pet and debit card/credit card chips are a thought too. I need to look back and see if these were found in the burn barrel or in the place where the full barrels had been dumped.

Soooo tempted to go to court if DG testifies!

If he was pissed with Alvin, why take his wife and grandson? If it was personal, than why take and kill 3? Maybe he had the hots for Kathy. Maybe that is the motive.

I shall try this again, with links this time.

I have obtained an Aerial photo taken of Airdrie and area including the DG Acreage in it. I can zoom into it quite well. It was taken on July 1st 2014. I have compared this photo to one of the photos that was taken during the CPS and other agencies searches on July4th/5th. This photo has been shared around on the net quite often.

In the July 1st photo. You can see by the burn barrel location there does not appear to be the woodchipper here. But up behind Outbuilding #3, it appears to be there.

In the next photo taken by LE... no woodchipper to be found behind Outbuilding #3, but appears to be back at the burn barrel location.. Also in this photo the lawn is noticeably different, looks freshly cut.

Also the blue speck on the left hand image zoomed in, appears to be a person based on the shape/size of the shadow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Photo 1 (July 1 2014) & close up of blue speck obtained from here: http://www.calgaryregionopendata.ca/browse/4112
Photo 2 - LE Aerial can be seen many places one for example can be found here : https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/1/20/6e5b9fca-a648-4079-a8c0-7d4b399f1747_500.jpg

The wood chipper creeped me out seeing it in the bushes, but (what I would have to assume is DG in the blue) is terrifying!

I'm leaning towards the microchips being some sort of technological thing. Although, I wouldn't be shocked to find out it was a pet.

This is worse than any horror movie!!

I'm assuming microchips are probably from a cell phone. Someone already mentioned it but he may have been trying to destroy his cell phone in fear of being tracked. He may have overlooked that initial and had his cell phone with him and turned on when he went to the Liknes home. As such, there would probably be saved records of his travels. I wonder if his cell phone provider has those records and if the police asked for tracking data from the phone company.

I'm not sure what I think about DG having a cell phone. I mean who would he call? I feel like it's possible he didn't even have one, but of course he could have. I can see him having an old school, non-smart phone type. I mean a microchip is unlikely to burn, isn't it? It would be damaged, but not destroyed? But then again, he never thought someone would be going through his burn barrel.

If he was pissed with Alvin, why take his wife and grandson? If it was personal, than why take and kill 3? Maybe he had the hots for Kathy. Maybe that is the motive.

I've wondered this too

I'm not sure what I think about DG having a cell phone. I mean who would he call? I feel like it's possible he didn't even have one, but of course he could have. I can see him having an old school, non-smart phone type. I mean a microchip is unlikely to burn, isn't it? It would be damaged, but not destroyed? But then again, he never thought someone would be going through his burn barrel.
I think I got credit/debit chip cards in my head because it hasn't been mentioned that AL's wallet was ever found and most cards have chips now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

What better way to get to Alvin by taking the wife as well. Grandson was just at the wrong place at the wrong time... As sad as that is. Not sure if this was mentioned before but I remember the amber alert was for NO and they had said that they suspected that the grandfather was in need of serious medical attention. They said they were looking for all three but only said that the grandfather was thought to be in medical distress. I doubt they would say this if they suspected him to be dead. Could they somehow of been able to tell that most of the blood was from AL and not KL or NO before all the dna had come back to identify whose blood it was? Also makes me wonder about the teeth found at the house. Maybe they could tell from the shape and size that they belonged to a full grown male... I hate to admit it but I feel and seem to think from the evidence that they were all alive when they left the house. I believe they could of been knocked out enough to be put in the back of the truck in sheets and just covered maybe with a tarp or something. Has it ever been discussed if the truck had been parked in the driveway? Could he of brought it into the garage to load them into the back? There was blood found there and a bloody dumb bell. Maybe one of them started to wake and he had to hit them again to knock them unconscious and just grabbed something that was right there?

Could the grudge be a reason created by DG to justify the act of murder but the motivation be something else? DG begins planning the murder of AL and then his plan evolves and incorporates KL. Once KL is included in the plan he now has the opportunity to incorporate his fetish or desires - maybe that's the real motive?

Could the grudge be a reason created by DG to justify the act of murder but the motivation be something else? DG begins planning the murder of AL and then his plan evolves and incorporates KL. Once KL is included in the plan he now has the opportunity to incorporate his fetish or desires - maybe that's the real motive?

I think that his plan very likely started with Alvin, but he couldn't think of a murder plot with Alvin as the victim except to kidnap him from his home in the middle of the night. That had one problem - Alvin had a wife. The next step in his fantasies was to kidnap both of them and his plan was probably along the lines of torturing Alvin by humiliating his wife. Who really knows how Garland went from feeling cheated to women in diapers, but somehow that was his natural train of thought. There's simply nothing rational about this murder ... not the motive, not the kidnapping, not the web searches, and not the 'hiding the bodies' (which seems to come from the movie Fargo). Everything he did seems like the actions of a madman.

Hiding the bodies from the movie Fargo, the wood chipper inspiration from Robert Picton, and wearing the wrong sized shoes from an Alberta man that killed his wife in the U.S. It certainly does sound like he plotted and planned for years.

Hiding the bodies from the movie Fargo, the wood chipper inspiration from Robert Picton, and wearing the wrong sized shoes from an Alberta man that killed his wife in the U.S. It certainly does sound like he plotted and planned for years.

It does seem like he planned this for years, but even after four years, he put three nearly dead people on their front lawn in the middle of the night during a long weekend when many people were out partying late. Anyone could have walked or driven by and seen what he was doing. He then took the three victims not to a secluded, isolated location, but to his parent's backyard while they were in the house. It's absolutely bizarre. He was cutting and burning humans within hearing distance of the house, and for some reason he was able to do this without understanding how absolutely insane it is. The neighbours remarked on the fire that had been going on for too long, so clearly he was attracting attention, but nothing interfered with what he was doing except his sister - who recognized his truck on the news.

I think that his plan very likely started with Alvin, but he couldn't think of a murder plot with Alvin as the victim except to kidnap him from his home in the middle of the night. That had one problem - Alvin had a wife. The next step in his fantasies was to kidnap both of them and his plan was probably along the lines of torturing Alvin by humiliating his wife. Who really knows how Garland went from feeling cheated to women in diapers, but somehow that was his natural train of thought. There's simply nothing rational about this murder ... not the motive, not the kidnapping, not the web searches, and not the 'hiding the bodies' (which seems to come from the movie Fargo). Everything he did seems like the actions of a madman.

Have they really disclosed anything about this adult diaper thing? Or have they just asked JO if her parents wore adult diapers and asked DG's parents if he had bladder issues? Are we going to see where that leads, if it leads to anything? Did they say that among his internet searches there was something with ladies in adult diapers or was that a suggestion someone made? I can't seem to find it.

It does seem like he planned this for years, but even after four years, he put three nearly dead people on their front lawn in the middle of the night during a long weekend when many people were out partying late. Anyone could have walked or driven by and seen what he was doing. He then took the three victims not to a secluded, isolated location, but to his parent's backyard while they were in the house. It's absolutely bizarre. He was cutting and burning humans within hearing distance of the house, and for some reason he was able to do this without understanding how absolutely insane it is. The neighbours remarked on the fire that had been going on for too long, so clearly he was attracting attention, but nothing interfered with what he was doing except his sister - who recognized his truck on the news.

Not that anything in this case really makes sense in a logical way but has it been explored at all that he could of parked in the garage? This would of made more sense then the driveway to load the three into the back of the truck?

Not that anything in this case really makes sense in a logical way but has it been explored at all that he could of parked in the garage? This would of made more sense then the driveway to load the three into the back of the truck?

I *think* I read that there were two cars in the garage already. I'll have to go back and look for that, but yes, definitely would be easier! I remember early on we also speculated that he parked in the alley at the back of the house. I can't remember where we landed on that....

Have they really disclosed anything about this adult diaper thing? Or have they just asked JO if her parents wore adult diapers and asked DG's parents if he had bladder issues? Are we going to see where that leads, if it leads to anything? Did they say that among his internet searches there was something with ladies in adult diapers or was that a suggestion someone made? I can't seem to find it.

There were questions of witnesses, perhaps Jennifer (anyone remember), about whether either of the adults wore diapers. Apparently there's something on Garland's hard drive related to women wearing adult diapers. We need more information to understand where the prosecution is going with that line of thought.

The bloody drag marks go from the bedrooms to the side door, out the door, along the sidewalk (beside the house), and stop on the driveway in front of the garage. It would have made a lot more sense for him to open the garage - but perhaps the garage was more of a workshop than a place for vehicles. It was a single garage. Still, it would have been more sneaky and secretive to open the garage to put the victims in his truck.

The bloody drag marks go from the bedrooms to the side door, out the door, along the sidewalk (beside the house), and stop on the driveway in front of the garage. It would have made a lot more sense for him to open the garage - but perhaps the garage was more of a workshop than a place for vehicles. It was a single garage. Still, it would have been more sneaky and secretive to open the garage to put the victims in his truck.

Yes, that's right I do remember the drag marks outside...

Not sure where the interior photo is taken ... garage?
This photo of the drag marks was posted in the Calgary Sun, with a description of a blood trail stretching 8 meters.

liknes blood sidewalk 1 - Copy.jpgliknes blood sidewalk 2 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• Liknes Home Vents - Copy.jpg
    Liknes Home Vents - Copy.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 50
  • LiknesHome - Copy.jpg
    LiknesHome - Copy.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 34
One question I have is when they said that they found bone and "what they thought to be a tooth" does that mean it wasn't actually a tooth? Maybe I am reading to much into it but I have reread different tweets and none say bone and a tooth. It's all worded like they had thought it was a tooth in past tense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member