Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The photos he had of Kathy were saved off Facebook and pintrest. 1 still had the pintrest link in the file name.

I'll update WS on my in court experience in a bit here. Just want to read the tweets so I can compare my experience and ears/eyes to what was tweeted.

I was just thinking about you and wondering if you were okay and how you made out in the courtroom today. Lots of warnings were being posted from the reporters about the graphic nature of the pics that were being shown on the overhead screens. Must have been pretty intense. :(

I think we are missing lots. I watched the interview with one of the reporters that is live tweeting and I got the feeling that they are watering down what they tweet. It just seems that a whole day goes by and we aren't getting much info. During the Bosma trial there a great deal of twitter downtime because of legal arguments but when testimony was happening I think we heard as much as was possible from a tweet. If that's happening here, I'm missing it. I'm also having difficulty following the "story". I'm surprised we don't know about the DNA of the blood in the house. Who's was it? The evidence just seems to be coming in fits and starts.

At one point today, they were talking about the computers and the next tweets were about DG in a silver rental car driving past the farm, turning around, and heading back. Then nothing! How did that get in there? Did we miss a whole bunch of stuff on his arrest at that point?

I'm confused. Testimony seems to be jumping all over the place. MOO

And where is the blood spatter evidence from the liknes house? Its like they skipped a huge part of the story. I get that they don't have to go in order but i think it helps. The jury should have the evidence about what happened at the house before they are made to think about what happened at the farm.

While i agree this evidence ALONE isn't enough to convict him there is most definitely something wrong with downloading and saving that stuff to his computer. Just because he got the pictures and files from other sickos on the internet does not make it okay.

Like child *advertiser censored*, this stuff should be illegal to possess and distribute.

Like child *advertiser censored*, this stuff should be illegal to possess and distribute.

There are plenty of valid reasons people could use content like that (medical, educational, legal, etc) but there's no valid reason anyone needs child *advertiser censored*.

Ah man. That awful moment when you make a big post, try to edit a typo and WS page eats your whole response instead. I'll try again!

I'm fine after the day. Perhaps I'm desensitized but I didn't find it graphic today. A bit strange to see adults in big diapers while in a straight jackets, hand cuffs or leather restraints. But it did show that everything he physically had restraint wise he also had pics saved off the Web of them in use.

I was about 3 meters from him, front row. He's meek but not tiny. Very poor posture. Constantly writing notes and handing them off to his lawyer at every break. Very polite when handed water. The pics on the hard drive of a garotte in use made me think very hard about how we all wondered how such a man could get 2 adults out of that house alive. Pure speculation on my part, but he had multiple images (1 image contained at least 20 inner images) of various ways to use it.

I'm surprised tweets didn't touch on certain things displayed on the hard drive but perhaps reporters couldn't see the screen well enough to read document titles. DG had poisoning documents and images (crown did not expand on those yet), lock drilling documents (kind of relevant here!), invoices that also weren't expanded on yet, autoposy info, and I'm sure others but lots to try to read in tiny print.

The gore folder was snipped quite heavily for the jury's sake. Only 4 or 5 images shown out of close to 100. Already saw an online rumor that it was the liknes's depicted in the pics, it was not. Again they were just Internet photo . Dismembered bodies, autopsy type image.

Atmosphere in the court was catty. Reporters are incredibly disrespectful and I won't be looking at a few of them the same way again. Swearing in court (judge not present), one called a woman a psychotic freak and told her to leave (past issues obviously but maybe be professional and approach the clerk or security). A few spectators lied and said they were family in order to be allowed to stay since it was so busy when not even 2 moments prior they weren't family. It was....interesting. jury had tissues at the ready after lunch, no one needed them.

Tomorrow will be more info about his Web searches and I'm not sure what else.

Typing lots, I know I've missed things. Any questions?

I think we are missing lots. I watched the interview with one of the reporters that is live tweeting and I got the feeling that they are watering down what they tweet. It just seems that a whole day goes by and we aren't getting much info. During the Bosma trial there was a great deal of twitter downtime because of legal arguments but when testimony was happening I think we heard as much as was possible from a tweet. If that's happening here, I'm missing it. I'm also having difficulty following the "story". I'm surprised we don't know about the DNA of the blood in the house. Who's was it? The evidence just seems to be coming in fits and starts.

At one point today, they were talking about the computers and the next tweets were about DG in a silver rental car driving past the farm, turning around, and heading back. Then nothing! How did that get in there? Did we miss a whole bunch of stuff on his arrest at that point?

BBM - I soooo agree. I can follow it no problem, but the flow is off. The "tying it all together" seems to be lacking so far, but of course we aren't there and there is a lot more yet to come from the Crown. Its like a puzzle box being dumped out on a table - here ya go, its all there!

Ah man. That awful moment when you make a big post, try to edit a typo and WS page eats your whole response instead. I'll try again!

I'm fine after the day. Perhaps I'm desensitized but I didn't find it graphic today. A bit strange to see adults in big diapers while in a straight jackets, hand cuffs or leather restraints. But it did show that everything he physically had restraint wise he also had pics saved off the Web of them in use.

I was about 3 meters from him, front row. He's meek but not tiny. Very poor posture. Constantly writing notes and handing them off to his lawyer at every break. Very polite when handed water. The pics on the hard drive of a garotte in use made me think very hard about how we all wondered how such a man could get 2 adults out of that house alive. Pure speculation on my part, but he had multiple images (1 image contained at least 20 inner images) of various ways to use it.

I'm surprised tweets didn't touch on certain things displayed on the hard drive but perhaps reporters couldn't see the screen well enough to read document titles. DG had poisoning documents and images (crown did not expand on those yet), lock drilling documents (kind of relevant here!), invoices that also weren't expanded on yet, autoposy info, and I'm sure others but lots to try to read in tiny print.

The gore folder was snipped quite heavily for the jury's sake. Only 4 or 5 images shown out of close to 100. Already saw an online rumor that it was the liknes's depicted in the pics, it was not. Again they were just Internet photo . Dismembered bodies, autopsy type image.

Atmosphere in the court was catty. Reporters are incredibly disrespectful and I won't be looking at a few of them the same way again. Swearing in court (judge not present), one called a woman a psychotic freak and told her to leave (past issues obviously but maybe be professional and approach the clerk or security). A few spectators lied and said they were family in order to be allowed to stay since it was so busy when not even 2 moments prior they weren't family. It was....interesting. jury had tissues at the ready after lunch, no one needed them.

Thank-you so much Female; your input is so appreciated! Did you feel like there was good flow to the evidence presented? It seems disjointed a lot of the time to me.... but that could just be because its Twitter coverage.

DISTURBING FOR SOME

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Pictures of women in adult diapers and bound wer accessed in June 2014, says Kraan. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Kraan: These pictures would have all been accessed in the month of June 2014 (adult diapering photos) #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 2m2 minutes ago
Video screen showing images from #Garland's computer, of adults in diapers, some in straitjackets, others handcuffed, etc.

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
Kraan scrolling through fetish type pics on adult baby diapering. Crown asked witness to scroll fairly quickly so as not to linger #Garland
So there's the reason for the straitjacket.

I believe it was stated there was no DNA on the one LE found - perhaps Garland's - but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that he burned one.

Unless there are images, I'm sure we will never know.

Thank-you so much Female; your input is so appreciated! Did you feel like there was good flow to the evidence presented? It seems disjointed a lot of the time to me.... but that could just be because its Twitter coverage.

It made sense in the court room because the 1 investigator (exact name and title escape me) was the one to collect computers but also the same one who went to Mexico to cover that base. So jury saw photos of a clearly vacant condo. So he was questioned on that. I cannot exactly remember why DG in the rental came up but it could be because they were discussing collection procedure and police presence on the farm. Surveillance saw DG heading to the farm and computer collector was on the farm that day so popped outside to see the vehicle make a uturn. He could not identify the driver as being DG.

And where is the blood spatter evidence from the liknes house? Its like they skipped a huge part of the story. I get that they don't have to go in order but i think it helps. The jury should have the evidence about what happened at the house before they are made to think about what happened at the farm.

I think that all of the blood and DNA analysis is going to come from a very small number of people working at the FCSU lab. Maybe only 1 or 2. Since these people are very busy in their day to day work trying to keep the wait times down for other LE waiting on forensic laboratory results, it would not make sense for them to have to come to court repeatedly to give their findings after each piece of evidence is presented. So I think that they will come in and go over all results on all evidence after it has been presented to the jury. Was all of the testing done at the FCSU in Calgary?

They do seem to be showing the evidence in the order in which the investigation found it. By the LE officers who found it. They started off with the Liknes home and the pics of all evidence found there and moved on to the farm and the pics (or actual items) of all evidence found outside, in the various outbuildings, the green truck and now in the main house. I think we're getting forensic analysis of the computers and hard drives now, in sequence of when they were presented, because these experts will only have to testify once about their part in the investigation. I also think we had forensic analysis of the likely source of the bloody footprints (the comparisons to the Delta 2 shoes) from the house for the same reason. Because that person only has to testify about that. But the person(s) who actually did the DNA testing on the blood from the footprints will likely also be testifying about other blood evidence. So that person(s) will likely testify to all of their analysis on all of the evidence they tested at the same time.

Not sure where it goes after the computer evidence. Will they move on to the aerial photos or save those until last for impact, since they were likely the last piece of evidence that was collected. Is there any more evidence to be shown or are we finally down to the forensic laboratory analysis of all of the evidence that has been shown once the computer testimony is done?

MOO

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 9m9 minutes ago
I cannot stress enough how graphic this is getting in the triple murder trial of Doug #Garland. Very graphic pics being shown to jury/court

:(
The CBC must have completely avoided tweeting the details.

This trial is not being covered the same as they usually are. It's very strange.

It made sense in the court room because the 1 investigator (exact name and title escape me) was the one to collect computers but also the same one who went to Mexico to cover that base. So jury saw photos of a clearly vacant condo. So he was questioned on that. I cannot exactly remember why DG in the rental came up but it could be because they were discussing collection procedure and police presence on the farm. Surveillance saw DG heading to the farm and computer collector was on the farm that day so popped outside to see the vehicle make a uturn. He could not identify the driver as being DG.

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. As each witness/expert is on that stand, they are presenting everything they did or saw or analysed, regardless of whether it falls into any sequence. The Crown is just getting everything presented and entered into evidence legally and in the most effective way possible and will tie it all up in their closing statement IMO.

Also...a big thanks for your "report" of the day in court. Glad that it wasn't traumatic for you. I think the one thing that makes it a little easier on the jury in this case is that the graphic pictures that they had to see today are not of the actual victims in this case. That has to make a big difference in the level of detachment they can achieve while viewing this material.

MOO

I was curious how the jury handled it and if there would be tears. I have to admit at the end of today i was disturbed but i didn't think it was as bad as the judge set it up to be. I wasn't sure if that was just because something was lost it the tweets though.

I imagine for the families it was much harder though. To see those images and then think that the same things may have happened to your loved ones.

I'm either frustrated by the reporting or frustrated by the Crown.

I'm not sure which?

I don't know. It's a difficult trial.

From @ValFortney twitter account "7 folders of videos on #Garland computer: 1 about adult baby diapering; 1 about ADHD; 1 about fingerprinting; 1 about hypnosis."

Was DG diagnosed with ADHD?

Any speculation on why he would be curious/exploring hypnosis?

@honeywild - IIRC there was mention of his ADHD previously. I think it might have come up in the stolen identity case.

I think we are missing lots. I watched the interview with one of the reporters that is live tweeting and I got the feeling that they are watering down what they tweet. It just seems that a whole day goes by and we aren't getting much info. During the Bosma trial there was a great deal of twitter downtime because of legal arguments but when testimony was happening I think we heard as much as was possible from a tweet. If that's happening here, I'm missing it. I'm also having difficulty following the "story". I'm surprised we don't know about the DNA of the blood in the house. Who's was it? The evidence just seems to be coming in fits and starts.

I couldn't agree more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A person like DG scares me. They come across as meek and polite but within they are seething with rage. He lost money on the patent is what bothered him but what he has lost now is so much more. He has lost his family, his home, his stuff, any respect he might have had and everyone knows his deep dark secrets. Hopefully now he will lose his freedom forever.

Tech crimes expert to continue testimony in triple-murder trial of Douglas Garland
By Nancy Hixt January 31, 2017 5:00 am

An expert in digital forensic examinations will continue to present evidence on day 11 of the triple murder trial of Douglas Garland.

Calgary Police Const. Doug Kraan presented graphic and disturbing evidence Monday afternoon as he went through contents of a hard drive found hidden in the rafters of the basement of the Garland house.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3216058/t...murder-trial-of-douglas-garland/?sf53596204=1

This was 7 years after the fallout with regards to the pump? His continued interest in this man's business endeavours for that amount of time, including downloading and storing information about him, certainly indicates an obsession and some obvious resentment IMO.

That is what I cant believe the most. 7 years later and this guy is just now going to take action on him. It is so bizarre.

Besides them moving I wonder if there was something else that changed or something else that happened that caused him to snap. I suppose the moving may have been it but it is so bizarre because usually people will slowly get less mad at someone. For his rage to stay to the point he did what he did is bizarre.

Wonder if his mental illness was getting worse and worse over time and maybe contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smash5070