Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 7s7 seconds ago
Mohrbutter: high heat can cause DNA to degrade. Says her lab uses Eliminate to clean DNA, decontaminate; has heard of N-Erase.#Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
There are a variety of products which can remove DNA from surfaces, says Mohrbutter. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 10s10 seconds ago
Mohrbutter explains there are a number of products that can clean/take DNA off of items-crown asks about RNase Erase-she said yes #Garland

[video=twitter;829026858423377920]https://twitter.com/MetroLucie/status/829026858423377920[/video]

Any deal would be off the table Hatfield once Trial starts. I think the Defense is just ensuring their Client gets a fair Trial. LE has done an amazing job IMO. Few holes have been left open. I think the killer is enjoying this too much to plead midway. All MOO.

Yikes - talk about giving criminals info on how to destroy DNA.

Bill Graveland ‏@BillGraveland 9s9 seconds ago
Mohrbutter says there are a number of controls in place that can determine DNA contamination. When all are passed she can release findings.

Bill Graveland ‏@BillGraveland 1m1 minute ago
"I'm confident in the results I obtain," Mohrbutter. "Each member have undergone a training program..each member is proficiency tested."

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 24s24 seconds ago
Mohrbutter says forensic members have proper training, proficiency testing, findings are peer-reviewed, instrument use is logged #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
Mohrbutter says she is "confident" in the results she got from the evidence in the #Garland investigation. #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 42s43 seconds ago
Mohrbutter: "confident" in her DNA matches in #Garland exhibits she tested.

I think it's very unlikely the defense is slacking in hopes of Garland filing and ineffectual counsel motion. That would mean they're throwing themselves under a bus just to see this guy walk free. That would be illegal and evil. I think they just don't have a whole lot to object to. In Canada you see that sometimes - almost as if the Defense is just going through the motions, making sure everything is done correctly. I'm sure they know their client doesn't really stand a chance.

People also plead not guilty even when guilty in an attempt to get a lesser sentence. Pleading guilty gets them the automatic highest sentence possible.

Now someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I think our life sentence is now always an automatic 25 years but it's the parole eligibility that can change. So his non guilty plea could be an attempt to get a faster parole than a guilty plea would give. With the recent changes I'm not 100% sure so I hope I'm not too far off base with this.

Totally useless question but is anyone else reading her name as "more butter"?

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney now43 seconds ago
Mohrbutter: DNA databases for caucasian Canadians, First Nations, etc. Stats reported for caucasion, largest population in Can. #Garland

People also plead not guilty even when guilty in an attempt to get a lesser sentence. Pleading guilty gets them the automatic highest sentence possible.

Now someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I think our life sentence is now always an automatic 25 years but it's the parole eligibility that can change. So his non guilty plea could be an attempt to get a faster parole than a guilty plea would give. With the recent changes I'm not 100% sure so I hope I'm not too far off base with this.

In Canada 1st degree murder is an automatic life sentence - with no possibility of parole for 25 years. The 25 years is not negotiable. 2nd degree is 10 years until possibility of parole.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 10s10 seconds ago
Mohrbutter will now go through the testing done on items seized in #Garland case

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 9s9 seconds ago
Mohrbutter is set to explain the processes she used to analyze DNA and her findings. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie now24 seconds ago
Mohrbutter is about to begin taking jurors through her report for the #Garland investigation #yyc

I think he will be declared a Dangerous Offender and never see freedom again.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 23s24 seconds ago
Crown prosecutor Shane Parker going through formats of Mohrbutter's reports, beginning with a listing of the exhibits she examined. #Garland

CanvasMart happens to be in Calgary. I wonder if he got the tarp from there. They have a huge variety of tarps, fabrics and sizes, colors (including white), etc.

http://canvasmart.com/home.php

4041 - 74th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB
T2C 2H9

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie now40 seconds ago
Mohrbutter explains that they use "known" samples of DNA to compare to "unknown" samples #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney now36 seconds ago
Mohrbutter preparing jurors for later testimony, setting up her report and its formats on #Garland investigation.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie now42 seconds ago
Court heard in the first week that "known" samples for Alvin + Kathy and Nathan were collect by police. #Garland #yyc

[video=twitter;829030657028337664]https://twitter.com/MetroLucie/status/829030657028337664[/video]

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 35s36 seconds ago
All results of DNA samples in #Garland investigation processed in Edmonton; report had an urgent status, requiring work on wknds, nights.

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 35s36 seconds ago
All the DNA exhibits were processed at the RCMP forensic laboratory in Edmonton. #Garland case was marked urgent.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 29s29 seconds ago
No shortcuts, but extra individuals brought in to help with analyzing smaller batches of samples, says Mohrbutter. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 29s29 seconds ago
Work was still peer reviewed, but Mohrbutter issued interim reports on #Garland samples to keep things moving. All controls still used.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 27s27 seconds ago
Mohrbutter said results were coming in at different times and she reported them as quickly as possible and issues interim reports #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 52s53 seconds ago
Morning break in #Garland. Prosecutor Shane Parker will get into nuts and bolts of DNA evidence when court resumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman