Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think this DNA evidence is a little all over the place and not clear enough? Am I correct in understanding that the blood on the headboard in the master was Alvin. The headboard in the spare room Kathy and the stairs was Kathy as well. Those were the 3 bigger bloodletting areas the ME noticed. So maybe no major bloodletting event took place for Nathan. So how was he injured? They found his blood so he was bleeding. Also they mentioned blood mixed with hair earlier in the trial. Whose blood was mixed with the hair? There must not have been any root attached to the hair or they would have been able to get DNA from it.

These are all the tweets re Nathan/blood. None say how much, but the last one does point to "major" blood mark being from NO.

DNA from Nathan O'Brien also found on mattress in front bedroom.
Nathan's DNA found in second bedroom, also found on a closet door.
Swab of closet door had both Kathy Liknes' and Nathan O'Brien's DNA.
Swab of blood taken from outside Liknes' home shows Kathy Liknes & Nathan O'Brien's DNA.
One swab of a blood stain found on the sidewalk outside of the house matched Kathy Liknes. Another matched Nathan O'Brien.
Second swab of blood found found outside Liknes home was of mixed origin, but major component matched Nathan O'Brien.
Mohrbutter said 5yr old Nathan O'Brien's DNA was found by the hose outside of the Liknes home.
Mohrbutter: major component of DNA from blood drag marks outside house was Kathy Liknes; other marks outside, major from Nathan.

Yes for sure. Just so much blood all over their house so hard to follow the tweets (for me).
I hear ya. The amount of evidence is absolutely overwhelming. But all that ultimately matters is - they found the right DNA in the right places in order to secure a conviction.

I wonder if Garland knew he would be caught and was just so obsessed that he didn't care. That even if he was caught and convicted, it was worth it. Or was he so arrogant that he thought he'd never be caught?

Maybe it seems confusing because this witness is a DNA expert and so isn't being asked for an opinion of how it all connects to the crime?

That's still yet to come.

These are all the tweets re Nathan/blood. None say how much, but the last one does point to "major" blood mark being from NO.

DNA from Nathan O'Brien also found on mattress in front bedroom.
Nathan's DNA found in second bedroom, also found on a closet door.
Swab of closet door had both Kathy Liknes' and Nathan O'Brien's DNA.
Swab of blood taken from outside Liknes' home shows Kathy Liknes & Nathan O'Brien's DNA.
One swab of a blood stain found on the sidewalk outside of the house matched Kathy Liknes. Another matched Nathan O'Brien.
Second swab of blood found found outside Liknes home was of mixed origin, but major component matched Nathan O'Brien.
Mohrbutter said 5yr old Nathan O'Brien's DNA was found by the hose outside of the Liknes home.
Mohrbutter: major component of DNA from blood drag marks outside house was Kathy Liknes; other marks outside, major from Nathan.

Thanks! That helped to have it all listed like that.

You are welcome, olivebpa1.

Could someone tell me what time it is there right now. I am in Eastern Zone and it is 3:06 here.... trying to be sure to come back in time for when court resumes.

Regarding the note taking DG is doing I don't look too far into that. I'm thinking a defence lawyer may tell a client like him to take notes or think of questions during testimony. The alternative would be him leering at the witness or jurrors. We know he is socially awkward and possibly has ADHD. In his case I think the best option is to have a pad and paper in front of him. Can you imagine how the jurors would feel if he was staring at them for hours? The pencil and paper give him something to do.

I think killer feels he still has control. Sitting in that tiny box passing notes. Pretty much all he has left. Despite the horror of this case it makes me laugh as to what he is reduced to. He doesn't see it but we do. IMO

Regarding the note taking DG is doing I don't look too far into that. I'm thinking a defence lawyer may tell a client like him to take notes or think of questions during testimony. The alternative would be him leering at the witness or jurrors. We know he is socially awkward and possibly has ADHD. In his case I think the best option is to have a pad and paper in front of him. Can you imagine how the jurors would feel if he was staring at them for hours? The pencil and paper give him something to do.
If he has adhd, taking notes could just be something that helps him to keep his focus too.

Thank you MSM Reporters for your Twitter coverage and online stories. We complain, but we are so grateful for what you are doing.
(Can you imagine if we all had to just wait for tomorrow's paper? Good Lord!)

:cheers:

I agree and we see that with many accused. Yet I feel in this case there is more of a purpose on killers part. Given he is not only writing them he occasionally passes them to his Lawyers. He has been described as intently studying the screen when exhibits are up. Maybe he is asking his Lawyers for popcorn so he can kick back and relive his handiwork. Just bouncing off your post.

I guess this changes a lot of our theories about what happened given that the drag marks were in Kathy's blood. Did it change your theory? What are you thinking now?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I guess this changes a lot of our theories about what happened given that the drag marks were in Kathy's blood. Did it change your theory? What are you thinking now?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I always thought the drag marks were Kathy.
One thing new in my thoughts is that Kathy and Nathan were together right through to Nathan's end MOO IMO

ETA - and I like this thought, so I am going to stick with it.

Do you think that because Nathan's DNA was found on the closet door, that the poor child was trying to hide in the closet while all this was going on?

we haven't even got to the meat hook yet... =(

I know.....sigh. Why would one need to use a meat hook if victims are injured and immobile. Ever since I read that I have a horrid thought I keep pushing away. Did he torture Kathy and little man Nathan forcing Alvin to watch? Killer was about punishment to the max. degree. I'm not sure putting that thought out here will make me feel any better as we may never know. The thought has been nagging at me.

Do you think that because Nathan's DNA was found on the closet door, that the poor child was trying to hide in the closet while all this was going on?

No. I think it was just spatter or smears during a struggle or the movement of the two them from the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curiousinky