Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 10h10 hours ago
Ina Sidhu Retweeted CTV Calgary
Jury support: It's been a difficult month of evidence for jurors at the #Garland trial & anyone following the case - supports are available:

[video=twitter;831733513611264000]https://twitter.com/CTVInaSidhu/status/831733513611264000[/video]

With bosma trial i recall them being reported but i could be wrong

What do we expect for today? Would the Judge's instructions be shared by MSM as usual or is that a private thing? I've got my copy/paste hat on but not sure what to expect!

Yes the instructions were reported and tweeted out during the bosma trial. There was actually a shocking moment during those instructions as well when the judge took forcible confinement off the table as a route to first-degree murder.

Definitely nervous and worried today. I have a feeling they will deliberate longer than we expect, which will add to the anxiety. My thoughts are with the O'Briens today.

O/T Calgary upcoming cases - I know we have the Edward Downey prelim for killing Taliyah Marsman and Sara Baillie in August 2017; Princess Buttercup, I know you are watching that one closely. What else do we have coming up this year, anyone?
We also have the Dunbar/Blanchette case

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Depending how long the Instructions are for Jurors to go thru on paper it may take a bit. Or not. I have a meeting at noon and engaging in some retail therapy following. I will be back this aft. Thanks in advance to our tweeters here. I am confident it will be Guilty on all charges. IMO

That one is going to be tough as well

Oh yes it will be :( At least its unlikely to be anything like this one has been....
Here is hoping that none of us ever hear of a case like this one (Garland) again.

What is with these freaks killing babies??

Depending how long the Instructions are for Jurors to go thru on paper it may take a bit. Or not. I have a meeting at noon and engaging in some retail therapy following. I will be back this aft. Thanks in advance to our tweeters here. I am confident it will be Guilty on all charges. IMO
I bet the jury instructions take a fair bit of time. Complex case.

Oh yes it will be :( At least its unlikely to be anything like this one has been....
Here is hoping that none of us ever hear of a case like this one (Garland) again.

What is with these freaks killing babies??
I know, it's a special kind of monster

Definitely nervous and worried today. I have a feeling they will deliberate longer than we expect, which will add to the anxiety. My thoughts are with the O'Briens today.

I say that the jury is home by Friday at dinner time. I actually don't think it will even take that long but I'm confident it won't take any longer than that. Especially with this being a long weekend. If a verdict hasn't come in by Friday then I'm going to start to get a bit nervous.

There is an incredible amount of evidence in support of a Guilty Verdict on all 3.

There is an incredible amount of evidence in support of a Guilty Verdict on all 3.
I think it's easy to forget just how much circumstantial evidence has been presented and here we are reading it on line. Can you imagine the impact of the evidence being in the courtroom?

Leaving in 10. Looking forward to this aft. with u fine folk

I'm unclear on whether the Judge (assuming there are 3 guilty verdicts) would impose consecutive sentences or concurrent. I'm assuming it's up to the Judge's discretion, but the guidelines seem to indicate that if all 3 crimes are considered to be one act, it would be a concurrent sentence. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canad...entences/Concurrent_and_Consecutive_Sentences

"Sentences may be imposed consecutively in relation to a single transaction where the punishments protect "different societal interests" or "different legal interests".[SUP][5][/SUP] A judge should consider the time frame within which the offences occurred, the similarity of the offences, whether a new intent or impulse initiated each of the offences and whether the total sentence is fit and proper under the circumstances.[SUP][6]"

So with that in mind - the judge could argue that he is a danger to both children and adults - those being 2 different legal interests? [/SUP]

"On December 2, 2011, the Protecting Canadians by Ending Multiple Murders Act was enacted. This Act ensures that individuals who are convicted of committing multiple murders serve their parole ineligibility period consecutively. This means the number of years allocated by a judge to be served without parole is now served one after another, not concurrently. Furthermore, judges are now able to impose consecutive 25-year parole ineligibility periods. The government’s rationale is to allow one period of parole ineligibility for each victim, for offenders convicted of more than one first-, or second- degree murders.Under the new legislation, it is not mandatory for a judge to impose consecutive parole ineligibility periods for offenders convicted of multiple murders. The individual judge maintains discretion in these cases. The judge may consider: the character of the offender, the nature and circumstances of the offence, and any jury recommendations before deciding on whether to impose consecutive 25-year parole ineligibility periods."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay